Matteo Darmian: 'Rashford can reach Mbappé level and win Ballon d'Or'

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

What do we think about this caftards? Judging by last season, I think Rashford is definitely one of the best players around.

Classical Mechanic

What do we think about this caftards? Judging by last season, I think Rashford is definitely one of the best players around.
I've always said that what people say about his work ethic and desire means that he can go a really long way. Darmian backs that up here.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
No. Rooney was a better talent and we'd be lucky if Rashford has a career that even somehow resembles his and Rooney never had a shot at Ballon d'Or. Also, Rashford is brilliant, and he's definitely one of the brightest young talents in the world, but Mbappé's natural ability is on another level, unless he gets a serious injury, no one from the current crop is catching him.

The Red Thinker

Good to know that Matteo enjoyed his time at the club. Was never the right player for the club but he gave his best. Can’t doubt that.

Rashy making an impression doesn’t surprise me. He has everything you need to be a successful. He’s a Ronaldo prototype. Physically strong, lightning fast, powerful technique and hard working. Rashford is on his way to greatness.

-Supreme-

By last season, presumably you meant from Dec until February (after PSG/Liverpool game) - so around 3 months?

Rashford has performed well for his age, but we need him at least start delivering over an entire season, becoming more consistent and improve his lower levels

Paxi

By last season, presumably you meant from Dec until February (after PSG/Liverpool game) - so around 3 months?

Rashford has performed well for his age, but we need him start at least delivering over an entire season, becoming more consistent and improve his lower levels
Last season as in 19/20 season. His season ended when he got a stress fracture.

Paxi

No. Rooney was a better talent and we'd be lucky if Rashford has a career that even somehow resembles his and Rooney never had a shot at Ballon d'Or. Also, Rashford is brilliant, and he's definitely one of the brightest young talents in the world, but Mbappé's natural ability is on another level, unless he gets a serious injury, no one from the current crop is catching him.
I'm just glad that players notice him and his talent. I do agree that Rooney was more naturally talented than Rashford. To be fair Rooney looked more talented than Ronaldo, to me at least, when he broke through at Everton.

Paxi

Okay, my point still stands - he needs to start perform over a course of the season
Well he was, wasnt he? He scored what 20 goals by January? I'm 100% sure that he'd have hit at least if he didn't get injured. There is no reason to think he won't kick on.

izec

Not sure about Ballon d'Or and reaching Mbappe level. Mbappe has more natural talent, but Rashford is hungry and putting the work in. Mbappe's downfall could be PSG and hanging out with Neymar.

Rashford reminds me of Ronaldo and Bale's rise at Spurs/start at Real, plenty of talent but also a lot of hard work to reach the top. How far he can go nobody will exactly know, but i hope he stays more or less injury free

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
Rooney also drank his way into mediocrity towards the end of his career which means that he never really had the work ethic and desire as the true greats (Ronaldo, Messi). I see Rashford as someone who wants to attain to those levels and someone who has great work ethic and a desire to learn.

Rashford's ceiling is higher and we are seeing more of what he can do every season.

harms

Staff
Mbappe's downfall could be PSG and hanging out with Neymar.
How's that working out for him so far? Also, who is Rashford's best friend at United?

Mbappé, like Rashford, is insanely competitive, focused on constantly improving himself and reaching his best level, I just hate this lazy criticism that is based on a non-existent evidence. Manchester United post Ferguson is also hardly the best environment for a young prodigy (hopefully this will change with Ole, but it's early days still). So far nothing had stopped either one of them from consistently improving season by season.

FujiVice

No. Rooney was a better talent and we'd be lucky if Rashford has a career that even somehow resembles his and Rooney never had a shot at Ballon d'Or.
You're comparing apples with dog food here. Nobody had a chance at the Ballon D'or during Rooney's career. He happened to break through during a time when the two best players ever were around. Look at 2011. He came fifth. Behind Xavi, Iniesta, Ronaldo and Messi. 3 world cup winners and Ronaldo! 5th doesnt look quite as bad.

RobbieBerns

Rashford’s entire career so far has been spent in a United side that have been in different stages of turmoil. In a functional team with a few proper additions, I think Rashford is ready for his proper breakout once football resumes.

harms

Staff
You're comparing apples with dog food here. Nobody had a chance at the Ballon D'or during Rooney's career. He happened to break through during a time when the two best players ever were around. Look at 2011. He came fifth. Behind Xavi, Iniesta, Ronaldo and Messi. 3 world cup winners and Ronaldo! 5th doesnt look quite as bad.
Even if you discount Ronaldo & Messi, he still wouldn't win it, that's the point. He got 2,31% of the votes that year. The point is, you can be an incredible talent (which Rashford is), but winning Ballon d'Or takes even more.

Paxi

I agree with what Micah Richards said, in a highly functional team Rashford would bag 30, 40 goals.

His still nowhere near finished article, he needs to improve his movement and heading big time.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Classic cafe.
Only seems yesterday that there was a massive thread about being time to burst Rashford's "bubble".

Now crazy talk about winning best player in Europe.

FujiVice

Even if you discount Ronaldo & Messi, he still wouldn't win it, that's the point. He got 2,31% of the votes that year. The point is, you can be an incredible talent (which Rashford is), but winning Ballon d'Or takes even more.
Michael Owen won it. It takes circumstance and luck. Like everything in football does.

izec

How's that working out for him so far? Also, who is Rashford's best friend at United?

Mbappé, like Rashford, is insanely competitive, focused on constantly improving himself and reaching his best level, I just hate this lazy criticism that is based on a non-existent evidence. Manchester United post Ferguson is also hardly the best environment for a young prodigy (hopefully this will change with Ole, but it's early days still). So far nothing had stopped either one of them from consistently improving season by season.
From what i have seen from PSG, i don't think Mbappe has improved this season. Plus he is playing in a weaker league overall. Rashford may play in a struggling side domestically, but the competition is higher and he has improved quite a bit until his injury.

I don't doubt Mbappe is competitive and looking to improve, the only question is if he will do that at PSG or if he surpassed that already.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
While Mbappé is a superior talent and a once-in-a-generation type player, he is not going to land every single Ballon D'Or title once Messi/Ronaldo and even Neymar (who will eat into his votes when Paris Saint-Germain do well as a collective) hang up their boots. Rashford could very well sneak a Golden Ball if the conditions/circumstances are in his favor within a small window of oppurtunity — like winning the Champions League with United as a decisive player and delivering in key moments with the English national team in a major international tournament — it's not like Modrić was the absolute best player in the world in 2017/18 or better than the likes of peak Xavi and Iniesta when he won it (the Ballon D'Or is cruel/whimsical in that sense). Back to the original point, Rashford is not on the level of Mbappé, and probably won't ever be as long as the latter is committed to football (which he is by all accounts), but equally he is a considerable talent in his own right and one of the most noteworthy members of the chasing pack of attackers — that's a wonderful accomplishment in itself.

Web of Bissaka

Rooney never had a shot at Ballon d'Or.
Tbf, he had serious tough competitions back then.
No way he had a chance to win it... well, very low chance. I don't remember any season where Rooney is just exceptionally amazing and standout more enough with out-of-this-world performances. The others especially Ronaldo and Messi (and before them the likes of Kaka, etc) are just consistently better and more standout.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
With somebody on the right side that can take attention away from him and stop his space being taken away, he could be a monster.

Not many people better at 1v1 than Rashford with his speed and skill, and we know he can finish.

Mbappe levels? maybe... maybe not, but as long as he's in that conversation he's going to be a great player.

Utdstar01

Not sure about Ballon d'Or and reaching Mbappe level. Mbappe has more natural talent, but Rashford is hungry and putting the work in. Mbappe's downfall could be PSG and hanging out with Neymar.

Rashford reminds me of Ronaldo and Bale's rise at Spurs/start at Real, plenty of talent but also a lot of hard work to reach the top. How far he can go nobody will exactly know, but i hope he stays more or less injury free
Mentality is what sets apart the true elite from the very good players. Ronaldo was by no means the most gifted, natural player out there but his mindset was truly one of a kind.

Web of Bissaka

As for Rashford,
His forecast realistic competitors will probably be Mbappe, Neymar, Haaland(?), Pogba(?)..... who else?

Advantage of younger age, but still boils down to mentality, attitude and work ethics.
If Rashford continues his momentum and maintain with the right environment, then why not -- he'll challenge it well.

Perform well in CL and WC are the keys.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
If we look at who is likely to be the generational talents of Rashfords Peak he does look in with a shot, but will depend on him improving season by season, something he's done consistently.

Mbappe, Sancho, Havertz, Foden? De Jong. Any others people can think of?

harms

Staff
As for Rashford,
His forecast realistic competitors will probably be Mbappe, Neymar, Haaland(?), Pogba(?)..... who else?

Advantage of younger age, but still boils down to mentality, attitude and work ethics.
If Rashford continues his momentum and maintain with the right environment, then why not -- he'll challenge it well.

Perform well in CL and WC are the keys.
Sancho, De Bruyne are quite likely to feature somewhere in the final lists.

Skills

Snitch
Worth ethic can only take you so far when the guy you need to beat is as talented as Mbappe.

KennyBurner

Id like to dream so but the reality is a No! Rashfords drive exceeds his ability. Weve been watching Rashford for a few years now and can we honestly say during that time he has shown an innate level of hidden ability? His main strength is his physique which will only last him for a couple of years. Lets just enjoy one of our best academy products in recent times and not focus on ridiculous expectations.

Do you even know how difficult it is to win the balon d'or? We will first need a competitive team which we haven't even completed yet. He then needs to be the undisputed best player on the team. His competition will be Bruno, Pogba Martial and hopefully sancho. Lets just focus on building a title winning team first.

Withnail

Id like to dream so but the reality is a No! Rashfords drive exceeds his ability. Weve been watching Rashford for a few years now and can we honestly say during that time he has shown an innate level of hidden ability? His main strength is his physique which will only last him for a couple of years. Lets just enjoy one of our best academy products in recent times and not focus on ridiculous expectations.

Do you even know how difficult it is to win the balon d'or? We will first need a competitive team which we haven't even completed yet. He then needs to be the undisputed best player on the team. His competition will be Bruno, Pogba Martial and hopefully sancho. Lets just focus on building a title winning team first.

I'm sorry but what the hell is 'an innate level of hidden ability' supposed to mean and what relevance does it have to anything.

He's an excellent young player who's continuously improving every area of his game and the sky appears to be the limit for him at the moment.

In relation to the Op, I think a Balon D'Or is a tall order for any PL player so he'd be doing very well to be nominated but I think he has the talent.

SAFMUTD

Rashford is a great player and potentially a worldclass player, but being honest Mbappe is on another level.

We are talking about being an all time greats potential with Mbappe.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He can go right to the very top I think.

Eddy_JukeZ

Mbappe is vastly overrated to be honest.
Depends how you rate him.

Some people think he's better than Neymar, but I don't think that's the case at all(and a younger Neymar had more natural talent than Mbappe imo).

He's definitely one of the 5 best players in the world.