Matthew Judge - Manchester United contract negotiator

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
I love the way everyone slags off the Sanchez transfer now, when at the time suggesting it was anything other then a bargain got you laughed at.

But yeah this guy clearly does a terrible job.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
For any of you that haven’t heard of him. He is Ed Woodward’s right hand man that deals with contract negotiations of players.

He ‘negotiated’ the Sanchez transfer which led to the player signing the most ridiculous contract in footballing history. Sanchez’s very expensive contract has spiralled into one of the biggest problems at the club.

Matthew Judge has negotiated £200k a week contracts with Shaw and Martial which more than doubled their previous salaries. What had either of these players done to get such a pay rise? If you look at how Daniel Levy does contract negotiations at Tottenham, their players get small regular pay rises provided they sign a year extension on their contracts. This in turn has kept their wage budget down whilst retaining player value as they are all on long term contracts.

This man has negotiated contracts for Jones, Smalling and Young this season. Before that he let Fellaini bully him into a 2 year extension, something we had never done for a player over 30. This in turn has meant other players wanted the same terms.

And finally he has been unable to get Herrera to sign a new contract. There is no news on Mata or De Gea extending their contracts either.

So what qualifies him for such a job at Manchester United? That’s right he was an investment banker and best friend with Woodward at university.

For anything to change at Manchester United he has to be one of the first people to leave.
Sanchez is a different monster at the time. We all thought 350k is preposterous.

But in the business sense it still makes sense.

Buying pogba for rvp at 30m and 200k per week and selling him at 5 after 4 years costs the business 25m in transfer deficit and 40m in wages.

Buying sanchez for free (sone agent fee) and paying him 350k per week for 4 years costs the business 60m in total.

Not much different in today's market. Considering rvp was bought pre market explosions.

It was a disaster purchase in a sense sanchez is finished, but without a hindsight that wages makes sense because we got him out of contract.

Herrera is another example. From psg pov which one is better?

Buying herrera for 25m and giving him 100k per week? Or signing him out of contact and payi g him 200k per week? He'll probably plays for another 3-4 years max

Seij

I have no idea about the minutia of his job not the finances behind any of the deals previously mentioned so don’t think I can judge him on his work.

For example you say that signing Young up and letting Herrera go on a free is bad business. But if we know we need a back up left back next year and Young is asking for roughly 60-75k it makes sense. Whereas if we know Herrera will not be a first choice midfielder next year and he’s asking for 200k it does not make sense.

You can’t just say “player x is worse than player y so player y should get a new contract”. You have no idea how much each of these players want.
Young is on 110k or something, not 60-75k, isn't he?

luke511

Is this guy causing as much damage to the club as Woodward? Does anyone even know what he looks like?

Keefy18

The problem is, his contract should've been renewed much sooner, when he didn't have that PSG offer and an option to leave on a free. It's the Fellaini situation all over again — it's just that in Fellaini's case we've agreed to his ridiculous demands.
When should it have been renewed? Last year? When he was by all accounts offered one?

He wanted a four year contract. There is no way having Herrera here at 33 on 200k made sense.
Ander admitted in a Spanish interview from March last year he already had an offer from the club. So in reality he was offered a deal with approx 2 years at least left which is perfectly fine. That's standard process from all clubs I believe.

He admitted at the time ( March last) he was unlikely to renew anyway but things could possibly change. The fact he was already considering leave that far back suggests his mind was all but made up.

Young is not on 60-75k.
He probably is now that he took a pay cut and he could also be losing 25% as well due to lack of CL football.

Well i was shocked to see them eating cheap sliced white bread in a recent video...that stuff seriously rots your guts.
It's probably the same toast Rojo burned to hell in his insta post! :P

Managers don't negotiate or decide salaries - or any other strictly money-related matters.
The manager gets the ball rolling though.

Another poster said it on previous page, if Jose says something along the lines of "Get me Sanchez, whatever the cost". Then the board have to be seen to be supporting the managers ideals.

This is a huge misconception in our fan base currently.

luke511

Is it fair to say that Judge's tactic of dramatically increasing the average player wage has made near impossible for us to flog off our deadwood to lesser clubs? How's he not been fired yet?

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Judge Dread:rolleyes:

i don't understand why we insist on using a suit instead of getting a proper negotiator who has experience in this field.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Judge is gutted people know his name now, as Woodward got all the stick before.

fps

Just got audio of those contract negotiations in full.

Man Utd player: I would like lots of money.
Matthew Judge: ....OK.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Matthew Judge: My name is Judge.
Alexis Sanchez: Whose name is Judge?
Matthew: My name is.
Sanchez: That's a silly name.
Matthew: Judge, my name.
Sanchez: Yes, I am judging your name. It am silly.
Matthew: Is.
Sanchez: Oh, now, you're correcting my grammar.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
Woodward is a poison that is killing the club slowly.

If the Old Trafford crowd were any good they would make this known tomorrow by abusive chants directed at him or banners.

Instead, they'll be passive and quiet like every other week.
Woodward is like woodworm for United, we are not getting any progress from him at anytime, the club has no ambition and is content to be also rans as long as the cash keeps coming. A very sad state of affairs.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
Are we going to name and shame Ed's window cleaner next ?
No we are going to praise Ed for making us the Monty Python of football teams. We have become a laughing stock, some shady things going on right now with these mega takeovers of football clubs. Some come and inject cash others come and milk clubs, I believe Arsenal are also being milked, but United are in a very bad spot right now and nothing much will change until we shake off the current owners.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Judge Dread:rolleyes:

i don't understand why we insist on using a suit instead of getting a proper negotiator who has experience in this field.
Nepotism.

Same reason we have an ex-player who isn't qualified (imo) of managing at this level successfully.

Same reason we hand out extensions to players who should be moved on.

Nepotism.

fps

Matthew Judge: My name is Judge.
Alexis Sanchez: Whose name is Judge?
Matthew: My name is.
Sanchez: That's a silly name.
Matthew: Judge, my name.
Sanchez: Yes, I am judging your name. It am silly.
Matthew: Is.
Sanchez: Oh, now, you're correcting my grammar.
:lol:

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
Is this guy causing as much damage to the club as Woodward? Does anyone even know what he looks like?
Woodward does the most damage as he is the brainwave behind the "hostile" takeover I think Judge is just a very good friend. But both know jack about football. Woodward is hardly likely to get booted by the Glazers as long as the cash is coming in, and Judge is probably the best friend of Woodward. But together they have made Manchester United look a very badly managed football club. I hate them all.

Nick.

Did anybody see what Steven Howson said about Matt Judge on one of his FullTimeDevils podcasts? Apparently he met with Meunier and his agent in an office in Mayfair; didn't recognise him, asked his name and his number of appearences. A few hours before he had been to see Spurs stadium and was "wooed" by Mauricio Pochettino (likely because he will replace Trippier). The agent stopped Matt Judge there and ended the meeting.

If this is true this guy should resign. That is appalling.

In fact here's the video, he talks about it in the first 5 minutes:

lysglimt

Scout
Did anybody see what Steven Howson said about Matt Judge on one of his FullTimeDevils podcasts? Apparently he met with Meunier and his agent in an office in Mayfair; didn't recognise him, asked his name and his number of appearences. A few hours before he had been to see Spurs stadium and was "wooed" by Mauricio Pochettino (likely because he will replace Trippier). The agent stopped Matt Judge there and ended the meeting.

If this is true this guy should resign.
The keyword here is apparently. Let's see if Meunier signs for Spurs - because if he doesn't (after being wooed by Pochettino) - this is probably not true

Nick.

The keyword here is apparently. Let's see if Meunier signs for Spurs - because if he doesn't (after being wooed by Pochettino) - this is probably not true
I see your point but don't forget that is contingent on whether Spurs and Trippier find an agreement to sell to Napoli as well.

DoomSlayer

Howson claims it isn't Meunier. Someone on the Caf suggested that it is Hakimi from Dortmund but I'm not sure if that makes sense.

lysglimt

Scout
I see your point but don't forget that is contingent on whether Spurs and Trippier find an agreement to sell to Napoli as well.
Ok - let me put it this way. Matt Judge may not be the perfect guy for the job (I don't know) - but that he would show up to a meeting like so completely unprepared ? I doubt it. I have read a bit about his background and he may be all he is accused of - corporate, commercial and all that - but after 13 years as an investment banker - I doubt he will show up to meetings unprepared