Matthijs De Ligt | Ajax CB

Jayus20

Supports
Liverpool
No way he would refuse an offer from Barcelona in favor of Liverpool, be realistic.
Completely depends on whats on offer surely? If he's offered constant first team football at Liverpool vs a bench role at Barcelona, for his own development the former makes far more sense. He's an 18 year old kid, if he wants to develop to his full potential and keep his place in the national team he shouldn't be sat on the bench most games for Barcelona. He should be playing against top quality opposition which Liverpool can offer him, not only in the EPL but UCL as well. He's got a very long career ahead of him and he'll have plenty of other chances to move to Barcelona during his career I'm sure. Davinson Sanchez is a prime example of this, he chose Spurs over Barcelona purely due to the role he was offered at Barcelona.

Kostov

At 18 Vertonghen was on loan at RKC because Ajax were in doubt he was good enough to make it to the first team. The kid has the qualities to go all the way, if he does however remains to be seen.
Good point, his potential is enormous let's hope he fulfills it.

De Ligt is already imo playing at a higher level than Alderweireld ever reached at Ajax. Verotonghen had a season at 24 that is probably the best centreback season in the Dutch league in the 21st century, alongside Alex at PSV and then followed by Sanchez last season. De Ligt is pretty close to that sort of performance and he's only 18. He's incredibly consistent. He's a leader. clever. defends aggressively but intelligently (think the aggression on the ball of Vertonghen but with the more clever timing of Alderweireld). Has a crosspass and a throughball as well. Only worry is still his mobility. If he gets any bigger with age he really could get in trouble. Fortunately he himself realises that and has been following individual training for over a year now to work on exactly that.

Also despite my hesitations about him as a coach, I'm happy he gets to work under Koeman. That's a player who, footballing, I've always likened him to since his youth days. He's two footed, can dribble, shoot, and has a brilliant eye for a pass. Koeman is the perfect person to give him that additional guidance in that (and apparently his instructions for De Ligt for last night were about his attacking input). It's so rare to have such a good footballing centreback who is at such a young age also already equally good defensively and physically. Usually there's one or two of those that needs to catch up. not the case with de ligt.
Good input, thanks for sharing.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
Good point, his potential is enormous let's hope he fulfills it.

Good input, thanks for sharing.
No problem, could happily answer any questions about De Ligt's qualities all day haha

Here's a comment I made on him in a general CB thread not too long ago

He started with a month or two where he was a little more shaky than he had been so far, but since then has been incredibly stable. At 18, he runs our defence on his own. He plays in a pairing next to a creative midfielder, Frenkie de Jong, at CB, and so he pretty much does all the defending for our team, coaches our whole defence, and even provides a lot of the build up now that De Jong gets shutdown so much

here is him defending the other day against Twente:

Here is him defending a couple months ago against Roda

He's so bizarrely good in general, let alone for 18. Great defensive decision making, physical specimen, two footed

can give passes like this

has worked a lot on his agility and acceleration and it has improved but I think that's still his worry, especially as he gets even bigger physically (hard to imagine considering the size of him already, he's like a massive rectangle/fridge)

Vanya

Really? he should have had a penalty given against him, I thought. No doubt a talent, but I'm not sure that's entirely true.
Yes the penalty should have been given but barring that he comfortably dispossessed him quiteqa few times in one on one situations both in the EL final and the international game.

Nick7

Honestly didn't think either of the Ajax centre backs were that good against us. That's the trouble with basing opinion on one game though.

Swift Football

As of right now I think Malang Sarr is better.
Look at this idiot....

De Ligt was great against Portugal with 2 assists. He was able to get forward with Holland playing with three CBs. And it seems Barca are heavily interested.
Whats going on here?!
You quoted yourself and called yourself names!

Regarding De Ligt - I dont remember seeing another centre back as complete as this guy at his age. He will be similar to or even better than Pique IMO.

If I were Jose, I will run and buy this guy. He is good on the ball without compromising the actual defensive work. He is young and buying him and playing him will signal Jose is after all ready to give chances to youngsters if the said youngster shows the potential/effort.

Last edited:

MJJ

Whats going on here?!
You quoted yourself and called yourself names!

Regarding De Ligt - I dont remember seeing another centre back as complete as this guy at his age. He will be similar to or even better than Pique IMO.

If I were Jose, I will run and buy this guy. He is good on the ball without compromising the actual defensive work. He is young and buying him and playing him will signal Jose is after all ready to give chances to youngsters if the said youngster shows the potential/effort.
He is calling the opinion he held formely idiotic in a joking manner.

IrishMcD

Absolutely love this guy, he is going to be one of the greats if he can stay injury free.

Murray3007

thought he was superb in the Europa League final v us and have followed him since, i certainly think he has the potential to be one of the best defenders in the world, next move will be crucial for him. hopefully its to us.

Sjaakmeoff

thought he was superb in the Europa League final v us and have followed him since, i certainly think he has the potential to be one of the best defenders in the world, next move will be crucial for him. hopefully its to us.
Not as long Jose is here.

The guy can sign for about any club he wants. Why would he choose a Jose team over City, Bayern or Barca?

Crimson King

The guy can sign for about any club he wants. Why would he choose a Jose team over City, Bayern or Barca?
Silly post.

It's still Manchester United and the kid is 18, he'd likely outlast Mourinho even if he signed tomorrow.

Also, working under Mourinho hardly stunted the careers of Terry or Carvalho. Attacking players like Drogba, and even Ronaldo, credit him with honing their goalscoring talents.

If anything working under a manager like Mourinho for a year or 2 would probably be great for developing his defensive game.

Pep has done wonders for John Stones...the guy looks worse now than when he was at Barnsely, and may well get the boot in the summer.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
One of those moves which make too much sense, send them Lindelof for loan with an option to buy in return?

Sjaakmeoff

Silly post.

It's still Manchester United and the kid is 18, he'd likely outlast Mourinho even if he signed tomorrow.

Also, working under Mourinho hardly stunted the careers of Terry or Carvalho. Attacking players like Drogba, and even Ronaldo, credit him with honing their goalscoring talents.

If anything working under a manager like Mourinho for a year or 2 would probably be great for developing his defensive game.

Pep has done wonders for John Stones...the guy looks worse now than when he was at Barnsely, and may well get the boot in the summer.
I'm sorry. But not a silly post. The kid wants to play football and doensn't only want to be part of "the wall" where he has to play every ball to Matic as fast as he can.

YEs, Jose did some great things in the past. Yes, he's partly responsible for the development of a couiple of player. But come. I recent years? Name one player.

De Ligt would be stupid to sign for United, just to develop his defensive game when he has so much more to add.

Murray3007

is he currently going to start in any of those teams ? and as a defender you will look better in a Jose team as you will in any of those teams.

Mihai

I'm sorry. But not a silly post. The kid wants to play football and doensn't only want to be part of "the wall" where he has to play every ball to Matic as fast as he can.

YEs, Jose did some great things in the past. Yes, he's partly responsible for the development of a couiple of player. But come. I recent years? Name one player.

De Ligt would be stupid to sign for United, just to develop his defensive game when he has so much more to add.
Dutch person hating on Mourinho, shocker:eek:

You must probably be related to the other poster who kept saying that Ajax would teach us a lesson in the EL final last year.

Red_toad

What a load of tosh! Jose brought Jones back from the dead, he's a miracle worker with central defenders. De Ligt would jump at the chance to join United. Not that I expect us to be for him at all.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Dutch person hating on Mourinho, shocker:eek:

You must probably be related to the other poster who kept saying that Ajax would teach us a lesson in the EL final last year.
Why would we dislike Mourinho? Plenty of Dutch Mourinho fans. We do not all support Ajax and have Totaalvoetbal tattood across our chests you know.

I think Mourinho’s a miserable cnut btw, but that’s neither here nor there.

On De Ligt, Barca have been grooming him for a while and I think he will prefer them over either Manchester club.

Bestietom

Great prospect but not there yet. We need an experienced CB who have played against the top players. Maguire has done well here in England and would fit in well with us. IMO.

Mihai

Why would we dislike Mourinho? Plenty of Dutch Mourinho fans. We do not all support Ajax and have Totaalvoetbal tattood across our chests you know.

On De Ligt, Barca have been grooming him for a while and I think he will prefer them over either Manchester club.
Oh, sorry for my generalization, but I somehow thought this is a common feeling among dutch football fans. Maybe it was just before the final?

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line

How?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I love him to stay for 2 more years. But to be honest, he's already too good for the Eredivisie.

He’s the Mbappe of defenders. He needs to play in a better league to further develop himself.

Our league is a complete joke.
Is it a joke because all the decent players leave at 18 though?

I think another year as captain and playing under Koeman would do him absolutely no harm long term while he continues to develop as a person and a footballer.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Oh, sorry for my generalization, but I somehow thought this is a common feeling among dutch football fans. Maybe it was just before the final?
I suppose it's true most Dutch people prefer the Pep's and Klopp's of this world over Mourinho, but I don't think that's a Dutch thing. Mourinho isn't a very well like person outside of Portugal and the clubs he's worked for. His big success has been establishing a strong team spirit and protecting them from scrutiny by playing the bad guy to the outside world. It works, but it doesn't get you a lot of 'neutral' fans.

If you hold a global likability poll between Klopp, Pep and Mou I'm quite certain he'd finish dead last.

@Bubz27
Endlessly going on about how he has Barcelona DNA and similar cringe worthy stuff. Personally I hope he signs for United, not yet mind you, since I don't think he's ready yet. Playing under Mou will defenitely shape the defensive part of his game and playing for United and under one of the most successful coaches of all time would be a privilege for a toddler like him. No matter what my countrymen think of him :)

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I suppose it's true most Dutch people prefer the Pep's and Klopp's of this world over Mourinho, but I don't think that's a Dutch thing. Mourinho isn't a very well like person outside of Portugal and the clubs he's worked for. His big success has been establishing a strong team spirit and protecting them from scrutiny by playing the bad guy to the outside world. It works, but it doesn't get you a lot of 'neutral' fans.

If you hold a global likability poll between Klopp, Pep and Mou I'm quite certain he'd finish dead last.

@Bubz27
Endlessly going on about how he has Barcelona DNA and similar cringe worthy stuff. Personally I hope he signs for United, not yet mind you, since I don't think he's ready yet. Playing under Mou will defenitely shape the defensive part of his game and playing for United and under one of the most successful coaches of all time would be a privilege for a toddler like him. No matter what my countrymen think of him :)
Oh all that nonsense. They are more than a club, I suppose.

Dolf

We should seriously consider buying him next summer. He can score goals, is good on the ball and shows massive potential. Not to mention that he's only 19 (since 2 days ago).

luke511

We should seriously consider buying him next summer. He can score goals, is good on the ball and shows massive potential. Not to mention that he's only 19 (since 2 days ago).
I'd be very surprised if we didn't discuss a gentlemans agreement when negoiating the Blind deal, absolute farce if we didn't.

DarkXaero

He'd be my #1 target for CB. Remarkably mature for his age, with great potential and ball playing ability, and Ajax are a selling club.

izec

De Jong will end up at Barca next year.

De Ligt next year or two at one of Barca, Bayern, Juve or Real. City and Spurs have shown a lot of interest too