Matthijs De Ligt | Ajax CB

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Reminds me so much of Gerard Pique. Still only 17 and had a good game alongside Davinson Sanchez against us in the Europa League final. Great potential.

Details:

Date of birth: Aug 12, 1999
Place of birth: Leiderdorp

Height: 1,88 m
Nationality:
Netherlands
Position: Defence - Centre-Back
Foot: right
Current club: Ajax Amsterdam
In the team since: Oct 24, 2016
Contract until: 30.06.2019
Date of last contract extension: Dec 1, 2016

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
I was more Impressed with Sanchez, but both looked good.
Doubt Jomo will buy that young cb's though.

izec

Looked great against us. Hopefully we keep tabs on him. Let him develop another 2 seasons there

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Sanchez made the headlines but this was the real star of Ajax's defence against us

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He looked alright. Might actually be one of the few who are hyped to the sky and back to amount to something at Ajax currently.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
was fantastic both against us in the final and first SF leg against Lyon, impressed me much more then Sanchez. Insane how well he played given his age, would love to have him here specially as he looks like a natural partner for every cb we have bar Blind.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
was fantastic both against us in the final and first SF leg against Lyon, impressed me much more then Sanchez. Insane how well he played given his age, would love to have him here specially as he looks like a natural partner for every cb we have bar Blind.
Exactly what I was going to mention too. His maturity was a bit weird, a kid at CB shouldn't have that composure. Really interesting player.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Doubt he'll ever go to United, he is very level headed and has loads of people around him coaching him. Since LVG's sacking the Netherlands is getting really anti-United and anti-Mourinho for his ("negative, pragmatic and defensively play"). EL final only backed those sentiments which are false imo. The anti-United agenda is huge, but younger "foreign" kids can still be easily lured with money.

izec

Doubt he'll ever go to United, he is very level headed and has loads of people around him coaching him. Since LVG's sacking the Netherlands is getting really anti-United and anti-Mourinho for his ("negative, pragmatic and defensively play"). EL final only backed those sentiments which are false imo. The anti-United agenda is huge, but younger "foreign" kids can still be easily lured with money.
You never know which manager we will get in a few years or which type of style we play. I imagine our image could turn quickly again. he is still young, but i was impressed. In a few years a lot can happen, but he looks like a potential top CB.

Gbenger

Did they see the kind of football LVG made us play?

Coxy

Exactly what I was going to mention too. His maturity was a bit weird, a kid at CB shouldn't have that composure. Really interesting player.
This. He was great in both games. Would be a great signing for you - him and bailly in a few years :)

Sammyjunn

You never know which manager we will get in a few years or which type of style we play. I imagine our image could turn quickly again. he is still young, but i was impressed. In a few years a lot can happen, but he looks like a potential top CB.
True, but also the English teams spending so much and still not really delivering in Europe, think the Dutch generally prefer Spanish clubs, Bayern and teams like Monaco and Dortmund, young and attacking teams with limited budgets. And there are a lot of Arsenal fans here too.

Brightonian

It's funny because we've been much more attacking and much more watchable under Mourinho than we were under LVG.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
This is what my Ajax supporting friend says. As United are his second team he sort of accepted the defeat but before the game he was all out 'we'll lost because Mourinho but we'll annihilate you with our attacking play in the first stages of the game' whereas it was closer to the opposite.

From what I heard the Dutch fail to understand how such a seemingly great attacking unit got absolutely zilch on us. Blaming Mourinho for apparent 'park the bus' tactics is everything they can cling on. The truth is we dominated the play offensively till the first goal and then sit back a little bit. Still, pretty even half. When you score right at the beginning of the second half and have 2-0 with all the injuries and the magnitude, there is no team in Europe that would continue to attack carelessly. What for?

Think Ajax supporters flatter themselves a little bit with those accusations. You don't need to park the bus against somebody who, on that day, can't string 3 passes together at times.

As for De Ligt , he was tremendous. Better than Sanchez in my opinion and would not bedrudge taking a punt on him.

Sammyjunn

This is what my Ajax supporting friend says. As United are his second team he sort of accepted the defeat but before the game he was all out 'we'll lost because Mourinho but we'll annihilate you with our attacking play in the first stages of the game' whereas it was closer to the opposite.

From what I heard the Dutch fail to understand how such a seemingly great attacking unit got absolutely zilch on us. Blaming Mourinho for apparent 'park the bus' tactics is everything they can cling on. The truth is we dominated the play offensively till the first goal and then sit back a little bit. Still, pretty even half. When you score right at the beginning of the second half and have 2-0 with all the injuries and the magnitude, there is no team in Europe that would continue to attack carelessly. What for?

Think Ajax supporters flatter themselves a little bit with those accusations. You don't need to park the bus against somebody who, on that day, can't string 3 passes together at times.

As for De Ligt , he was tremendous. Better than Sanchez in my opinion and would not bedrudge taking a punt on him.
You're 100% right, United were better until the goal, then got a 2nd early the 2nd half, done and dusted.

Sanchez has been better generally but de Ligt was excellent. But we didnt make it too hard for him, physical battles with Rashford isna piece of cake for him, he sometimes soaks under pressure of multiple forwards ans lacks concentration, we didnt really test him with that.

But dont want to hype him too much, min 3 years at Ajax before considering another step.

BarstoolProphet

Sanchez probably grabs the headlines because of his physical attributes but I think kid was way better than Sanchez against us. So calm and intelligent, very rare to see from someone his age. He really impressed me.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Sanchez was all blood and thunder but this lad showed the class out of the two. Will be a good CB in the future.

RC89

Sanchez was all blood and thunder but this lad showed the class out of the two. Will be a good CB in the future.
This. He was the calm one, sweeping up. Sanchez showed good things but also showed clear weaknesses too. Too rash and lacked ability on he ball. This guy was class throughout.

He looks like he's going to be a very good player.

Sanchez grabbed the headlines against us because of his physical attributes and because we allowed him time to bring the ball forward. De Ligt was closed down much faster and didn't get nearly as much freedom.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
This lad seems to be one of the better prospects from the younger lot of defenders. Really even tempered for his age, seemed decent in the air for someone of his profile, a relatively clean tackler, and his decision-making in particular (for this stage of his career) was highly impressive - especially against Lyon in the semis. Kinda reminds me of Rugani (who's going to be a stalwart for Juventus) in terms of his skillset and personality. Hope he resists the temptation of a big move and stays at Ajax for atleast the next 3-4 years to further his education on and off the ball. A lot of defensive prospects have stalled in recent years with premature moves to major clubs (eg. Marquinhos has still not reached his Roma level), and De Ligt is still only 17 - even if he stays there for half a decade, he'll still be only 22 (baby years for a centerback), so the sharks can wait.

Sammyjunn

For what it's worth, he did have some shocking moments this season. Already had his NT debut and gave away two goals, some stupid errors for Ajax too to conceide goals he's so far from ready, the coming few years will focus on ironing those moments out and gain even more confidence on the ball. He's the next ajax defender in the Alderweireld/Verthongen mould, but maybe even with more potential.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Obviously incredibly impressive for a 17 year old to be playing a European final. However I think those saying he had a good game must have been watching a different one.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
For what it's worth, he did have some shocking moments this season. Already had his NT debut and gave away two goals, some stupid errors for Ajax too to conceide goals he's so far from ready, the coming few years will focus on ironing those moments out and gain even more confidence on the ball. He's the next ajax defender in the Alderweireld/Verthongen mould, but maybe even with more potential.
Was just sent off for Holland.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Belhanda was a disgrace tonight. The above challenge was ridiculous, especially for a friendly. Deep red.