Matthijs De Ligt | Ajax CB

Speedicut75

especially bizarre because he's openly spoken about his admiration for English football and love for English defenders and stuff in the past, as well as the fact that he doesn't really care for the Spanish league and has never really followed it (in discussion with De Jong in that Q&A vid, who was talking about having always followed Barca)
The guy in question is a journalist called ( I think?) Marcel van der Kraan, and although seeming massively supportive of the idea that the player would flourish in the EPL, he was convinced no approach had been made from any English outfit.
I would agree that this lack of interest would seem perplexing, but maybe it speaks to the prospect of a deal with another club having already, in some provisional sense, been brokered? Hope it's not the case, and that UTD pull their finger out, and show some intent. We shall see.

EDIT: I guess being an Ajax fan you'd be happy if this supposed apathy were to continue? Do you think he'll go this summer?

legolegs

duploarms
Supports
Ajax
The guy in question is a journalist called ( I think?) Marcel van der Kraan, and although seeming massively supportive of the idea that the player would flourish in the EPL, he was convinced no approach had been made from any English outfit.
I would agree that this lack of interest would seem perplexing, but maybe it speaks to the prospect of a deal with another club having already, in some provisional sense, been brokered? Hope it's not the case, and that UTD pull their finger out, and show some intent. We shall see.

EDIT: I guess being an Ajax fan you'd be happy if this supposed apathy were to continue? Do you think he'll go this summer?
Ten Hag already said that the chance of de Ligt staying is 0.

Speedicut75

Ten Hag already said that the chance of de Ligt staying is 0.
Bit gutting that, if you're an Ajax fan, what with the other prospective departures. I thought De Ligt may stay in Holland for the near future, given his tender age, but looking at him playing he does look good enough for the rigors of any top league. Just seems a bit of a shame given how formidable ( and indeed fearless ) Ajax are starting to look once again.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Quality academy player should be the word. Lingard is trash. Mctominay though solid is a squad player in a real united squad and in any of the other top 6 in the prem Rashford is a bench player and Pogba is the only real quality player from that list.
Quality is irrelevant to the point being made. At the end of the day, we’re a CL QF side who had 4 academy products in their starting line-up. I was responding to someone else who gave the impression that Barca and Ajax were the only team to whom this description applied.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Quality is irrelevant to the point being made. At the end of the day, we’re a CL QF side who had 4 academy products in their starting line-up. I was responding to someone else who gave the impression that Barca and Ajax were the only team to whom this description applied.
Yeah you were right, I omitted United. Apologies.

Although I also agree with SportingCP96 on this point. 4 out of 5 Barca's academy products starting last night have been world class players for a decade or so. Out of the United crop, you could argue that 2 are not good enough to start for a team like United and the other two are too inconsistent/inexperienced. Still an achievement nevertheless.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
fair enough.

legolegs

duploarms
Supports
Ajax
Bit gutting that, if you're an Ajax fan, what with the other prospective departures. I thought De Ligt may stay in Holland for the near future, given his tender age, but looking at him playing he does look good enough for the rigors of any top league. Just seems a bit of a shame given how formidable ( and indeed fearless ) Ajax are starting to look once again.
Oh it may not be great but quite honestly I didn't expect to see a season like the current one anytime soon so I'm actually happy with just that.

SportingCP96

Supports
On a side note, your (Sporting Lisbon) U10 side is pretty damn good. My son’s team played them on tour last weekend. He managed to score against Sporting and Benfica on the same day. Surely a first at any level?!
Very well done by your son he could be proud of that. Does he play at United academy?

and Tbh not too caught up on the u10 sides so don't know how good they are but the u16 and onward I have a better understanding of.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool

I love it. I don't know why Messi is making that face & looking at his crotch, though.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Very well done by your son he could be proud of that. Does he play at United academy?

and Tbh not too caught up on the u10 sides so don't know how good they are but the u16 and onward I have a better understanding of.
Not at all. Plays for a local team in Dublin. A dad of another kid at the club is from Lisbon and helped organise the tour and friendly games against the two Portugese clubs. I probably should have mentioned the final score of the two games, 8-1 and 5-1 to the Portugese teams! We got a tour of the Benfica academy after the game. Absolutely incredible facility.

SportingCP96

Supports
Not at all. Plays for a local team in Dublin. A dad of another kid at the club is from Lisbon and helped organise the tour and friendly games against the two Portugese clubs. I probably should have mentioned the final score of the two games, 8-1 and 5-1 to the Portugese teams! We got a tour of the Benfica academy after the game. Absolutely incredible facility.
They invested a lot in there facilities to improve the academy for a few years now. Safe to say they are reaping the benefits now.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal

He might have an eye for young talent.

Red4Life_#7

World class players do this, they want to keep winning for their legacy to become even more decorated... well done Ronnie. This is why we need to keep players like Agent P, they attract other stars too.

CHKBC

He's in the best position possible in his entire career. He can basically write the figures on his paycheck and have the pick of any top club in Europe at the age of 19.

Toad

Do you think we would have bought this guy last season or the season before if it was Sit Alex still in the hot seat?

Do you think we would have bought this guy last season or the season before if it was Sit Alex still in the hot seat?
Nope, SAF managed in a different transfer market. He'd happily let players join the likes of Spurs to prove themselves first and then whisk them away, it's a much much harder market these days.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Fergie wouldn't have left the Europa League final without him

Although I doubt we'd have found ourselves in the Europa League had SAF still been with us so...

macheda14

Although I doubt we'd have found ourselves in the Europa League had SAF still been with us so...
Well I mean do you not remember being handily beaten by Athletic Bilbao?

Toad

That’s what I thought. Ronaldo was signed after his performance against us. De Ligt most likely the same. But like you say, we wouldn’t have been in Europa league.

Aloysius's Back 3

That’s what I thought. Ronaldo was signed after his performance against us. De Ligt most likely the same. But like you say, we wouldn’t have been in Europa league.
I thought it was ferdinand that highlights the player to SAF?

Toad

Clearly Agent CR7 and Fernandes are working in tandem to bring him to United.
Definitely. They were just discussing how great it’s going to be again having them all back together when Ronaldo joins as a coach when he retires.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Queiroz had already brought Ronaldo to Ferguson’s attention, but that performance accelerated their interest.
I think the deal was already in negotiations and SAF said "we got him" or something like that. Remember reading it long back.

manuchamp88

Definitely. They were just discussing how great it’s going to be again having them all back together when Ronaldo joins as a coach when he retires.
De Ligt hoofs the ball up to Fernandes who bangs one in from 25 yards out, Cristiano screams "SIIIIUUUUU" from the sidelines.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
He's beginning to annoy me, this "poor me, I want to play for FCB but earning as much as PSG offers me" drama is ehem, childish, not surprising considering he's not even 21 and considering who's behind his back: Raiola. I also don't like his occasionaly smug smiles.

Hope he goes to Utd. I'd hate watching him play for PSG.

mwake

Supports
Liverpool
My word its being reported that hes agreed a deal with Juve @ 270k pw basic salary before bonus which could put it up to over 400k pw.

I've never really watched him, is he really that good? God help Juve if he is actually good and then demands a pay increase rise in a few years!

SambaBoy

Would be a brilliant long-term replacement for Chiellini. I think Juve is a good move for him and them, he will help them in the CL and he's playing in a league on the up for one of the best teams in Europe. It's not quite a farmers league like Ligue 1 as there as some very good teams in there and the likes of Inter and AC are only going to get better in the next few years.