Matthijs De Ligt | Juventus Player

Armchair Manager

Supports
Northampton
Nowdays Serie A is not even the shadow of what used to be... but even Epl with their inflated market will never attract the bigger players on the planet becouse there are Barcelona, Real, Juve, Psg, Bayern that are capable to beat the English clubs economically... back in the days I remember small italian clubs like Parma or Brescia able to buy some of the best players from Real and Barca (Hagi and Stoichkov) which is crazy...
you can use whatever calculator you want about how many CL or European cups there are between italian and English clubs (just one anyway), but I didn’t reflect on success based on just number of certain European trophies (Nott Forest and Villa could be considered bigger or more successful than Arsenal?)...but attracting players from the top to the last team of the league

You could have add the World Cups count just to make more relevant your elaboration.
First of all, after new tv rights deal. English teams are financially stronger than ever. I dont remember any big player leaving england to play for bayern or juve not even from mid table PL teams in last 5-8 years. One of the reason being juve and bayern are not financially as strong as top 6 premier league teams. Now Madrid and Barca are financially strong due to loosided spainish tv rights through which they use to bag 80 of the league money. Which basically killed their league. Now i believe they have switched to more fair deal and thanks to the huge PL tv rights, the financial gap isnt as big as it used to be, infact i think if liverpool can maintain their upward trajectory they can catch up barca and madrid's profit figures.

The only reason players want to go to barca or madrid is not financial infact both madrid and barca are struggling to manage their wage budget due to the bumper contracts they had to issue their star players in last few years like messi, ronaldo, kroos, modric, xavi, iniesta and pique. My point is further proved by inability of madrid and barca to buy salah, mane, firmino, aguero and likes from PL. Yes coutinho, suarez and hazard left PL in recent memories but they didnt left for financial reasons, their teams were willing to pay them whatever barca and madrid offered. It is more football romanticism on player's part and guarantee of trophy at end of the season without breaking sweat and living in lovely weather year around.

thepolice123

What happened to him? I thought he was supposed to come in a replace Bonucci easily?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Lose to who? Does Netherland have plethora of good CB?
Van Dijk, De Vrij, Aké are the others.

If he never get's off the bench in Turin, I imagine both De Vrij and Aké, would have no problems playing in his stead. I doubt Juve will bench someone they give such a moronic salary though.

On the other hand, I have no idea why Juve gave a 19 year old that salary to begin with. It's fecking ridiculous.

Jacob

Ironic that his main criteria for a move was game time. Wouldn't be surpised to see him kept on the bench for a while. Juve won't field him for the sake of it.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
New signing on bench for the first game of the season and there’s talk of him being dropped by the Dutch :lol:

Halal Jalal

That picture.. Imagine being able to have guys like Dybala and De Ligt on the bench.
Dybala, De Ligt and Rabiot, Bernardeschi, Bentancur, Emre Can all sitting on the bench :mad: Ridiculous how far behind the continental elite we are.
All of those players would be starters for us and most likely be the best performers after PP.
There's also Demiral sitting on the bench who looked like Vidic reborn in preseason friendlies.

Red_toad

If he never get's off the bench in Turin, I imagine both De Vrij and Aké, would have no problems playing in his stead. I doubt Juve will bench someone they give such a moronic salary though.

On the other hand, I have no idea why Juve gave a 19 year old that salary to begin with. It's fecking ridiculous.
Maybe they read the Caf, he was the must have player of the summer and the best young defender on the planet according to a lot on here.
Their wage bill is all over the place though, I thought united had it bad with Sanchez. Disparity between established top quality and their latest additions is vast.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Maybe they read the Caf, he was the must have player of the summer and the best young defender on the planet according to a lot on here.
Their wage bill is all over the place though, I thought united had it bad with Sanchez. Disparity between established top quality and their latest additions is vast.
Think that's a sentiment shared by most of the footballing world honestly. He's definitely the best 19 year old CB in the world if you ask me. Still, you don't make a 19 year old the 2nd highest earner. I imagine some of the dudes in the dressing room feel a bit hard done by that. And rightly so.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

It's a long term investment based on his potential, nothing ridiculous about it.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He'll be getting eased in.
Doesn't seem like that's what was conveyed to him. He looked like an upset puppy on the bench all game and afterwards said " I didn't expect to be on the bench".

It seems this is a lesson to the guy, you can't just walk into this team you have to earn it. Shame we don't have the same high standards.

Red_toad

Think that's a sentiment shared by most of the footballing world honestly. He's definitely the best 19 year old CB in the world if you ask me. Still, you don't make a 19 year old the 2nd highest earner. I imagine some of the dudes in the dressing room feel a bit hard done by that. And rightly so.
Jones was the next Edwards, Wes Brown was better than Rio. Lots of examples of promising young defenders, but whim ends up the best is very varied. I’d say it’s very debatable who’s the best young defender, plenty of prospects out there.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Dybala, De Ligt and Rabiot, Bernardeschi, Bentancur, Emre Can all sitting on the bench :mad: Ridiculous how far behind the continental elite we are.
All of those players would be starters for us and most likely be the best performers after PP.
There's also Demiral sitting on the bench who looked like Vidic reborn in preseason friendlies.
One of those comments I read and really put it all in perspective for me. United should have that kinda luxury problem as well, just like City, Barça and Real to name a few others. I'm all about promoting youth but it seems even our academy isn't as up to snuff anymore.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
You forgot Ramsey when he comes back.

lex talionis

It's the best thing for young Mattjis at this point, to be eased in. But he will need playing time soon.

That aside, the question from me is if both Harry and Mattjis were both available to us on the same terms, transfer fee plus wages, who should we have gone with?

Based on what I've seen so far from Slabhead, I'd say Harry.

A-man

Maybe I am totally wrong and he will get plenty of playing time soon, bit this is a little why I thought he made a poor decision. In a PL club he would have played every week and always against strong opposition. Now he sits on the bench on a weaker league. On the plus side he has great mentors to learn from.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Maybe I am totally wrong and he will get plenty of playing time soon, bit this is a little why I thought he made a poor decision. In a PL club he would have played every week and always against strong opposition. Now he sits on the bench on a weaker league. On the plus side he has great mentors to learn from.
I think he'll get his chance soon enough. Bonucci is mostly rated for having a great defender last name.

A-man

I think he'll get his chance soon enough. Bonucci is mostly rated for having a great defender last name.
I think so,too, but Bonucci must have strengthened his position a little as he was quite good last game.

Red Keane

Lose to who? Does Netherland have plethora of good CB?
They have De Vrj & Ake, but they would be mad to drop him in favour of either of those 2 players (good as they are).

Ironic that his main criteria for a move was game time. Wouldn't be surpised to see him kept on the bench for a while. Juve won't field him for the sake of it.
Funny, I thought the main critieria was whichever club would make his agent the most money...

Regardless he could be getting more game time that he is currently getting if Juventus swich to a 3-5-2 formation, which is the best formation for them considering the players they have.

And you know what the worst thing is, they are still lacking in depth for a side that is aiming to win a Treble...

Surprised they have not loaned him out considering the competition they have got at CB (considering the lack of game time he is going to get unless they move to a back 3).

van Dijk, de Vrij, Ake, Blind. They'd cope.
Blind plays at LB for Oranje the though.

That aside, the question from me is if both Harry and Mattjis were both available to us on the same terms, transfer fee plus wages, who should we have gone with?
Both, especially when we still need another CB (now that Bailly future at United does not look too good) to play alongside Tuanzebe, Lindelof and Maguire, which we need to be able to kick out all 3 of Smalling, Rojo & Jones.

That is what happens when you for career advice from someone like Mino Raiola.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
One of those comments I read and really put it all in perspective for me. United should have that kinda luxury problem as well, just like City, Barça and Real to name a few others. I'm all about promoting youth but it seems even our academy isn't as up to snuff anymore.
That’s a weird statement considering greenwood and McTominay are now considered a key part of the squad, and Chong, Gomes, tuanzabe, pereira and garner are all in or around the squad. That’s the best group since co92 so don’t agree with that fluff at all

Nedved

A 19 year old was benched for the first game of the season. An injury prone Chiellini (35) and somewhat inconsistent Bonucci (32) are ahead of him in the pecking order. It was an excellent career choice, especially considering Chiellini just did his ACL.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
You're up kid. He wont ever leave the starting lineup anymore. He has the highest ceiling out of any defender in the world currently.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
It's hilarious that he blindly accepted Mino the Crook Raiola as his "can't-do-wrong guru" to guide his career. Raiola is just about the biggest bucks.

Bench for now, it is.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
It's hilarious that he blindly accepted Mino the Crook Raiola as his "can't-do-wrong guru" to guide his career. Raiola is just about the biggest bucks.

Bench for now, it is.
He will be the absolute starter this season with Chiellini injured...

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Give an interview in holland talking about the differences between ajax and juventus, how he's settling down in italy, etc. Italian translation of it gave a fairly impressive picture of a very mature and open kid, i like him

He also said Sarri told him he'd likely be on the bench for the first month of the season as he learns how to play the position for him(mentioned how the biggest difference between ajax and juventus is how at ajax he worked more individually whereas with Sarri it's all about learning to play as part of a coordinated, cohesive unit)

A-man

A 19 year old was benched for the first game of the season. An injury prone Chiellini (35) and somewhat inconsistent Bonucci (32) are ahead of him in the pecking order. It was an excellent career choice, especially considering Chiellini just did his ACL.
The ACL was just pure luck for him, but I'm also referring to the league. The PL would have been the best for him imo.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The ACL was just pure luck for him, but I'm also referring to the league. The PL would have been the best for him imo.
Nah. Sarri is a really good coach for him at this point in time, as he's going to actually fix his flaws rather than enhance his strengths. He's young enough that the latter will happen organically with time

Cait Sith

One of the worst debuts I've ever seen from a defender. 2 major mistakes, one almost own goal. He literally gave up on a counter and stopped running.

There might be a player in there or he was simply another part of a great collective Cup run.