Matthijs De Ligt | Juventus Player

Alexit

Dybala, De Ligt and Rabiot, Bernardeschi, Bentancur, Emre Can all sitting on the bench :mad: Ridiculous how far behind the continental elite we are.
All of those players would be starters for us and most likely be the best performers after PP.
There's also Demiral sitting on the bench who looked like Vidic reborn in preseason friendlies.
And Ramsey as another poster pointed out. It's truly pathetic how far behind the elite teams in Europe we are now. Especially given the amount of money that's been spent. We're going to need a lot more than some kids coming through from the academy to return to English and European glory.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
It's funny how highly rated De Ligt was on here when it looked like you were going to sign him, but now he's apparently overrated.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
It's funny how highly rated De Ligt was on here when it looked like you were going to sign him, but now he's apparently overrated.
Think you're making it up. He's still highly rated but you will always have different opinions.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Given his age its expected, part of the learning curve of improving his flaws and weaknesses. There'll be more poor games from him too, he's still going to be world class when he reaches his potential.
Only if he develops as per people's expectations. As with every player, he has it all to prove.

Also being laughably bad surely isn't expected? He'll have to be better than that.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Given his age its expected, part of the learning curve of improving his flaws and weaknesses. There'll be more poor games from him too, he's still going to be world class when he reaches his potential.
Well there's no way of knowing that for sure.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
For one goal at least, it has nothing to do with age and experience, it's just stupid shit and laziness. He just refused to run back and acted all suprised when the Napoli player was in a better position for the goal.

Schneckerl

If you make him the second highest paid player on his team you should expect an immediate impact, no matter his age.

Classical Mechanic

I think he’ll be the next Sergio Ramos. He’s been massively error prone when I’ve seen him for Ajax and Holland but it was ignored because his team was winning and he’d score a towering header at the other end or dribble a few players.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
If you make him the second highest paid player on his team you should expect an immediate impact, no matter his age.
Yeah sometimes people just ignore such things.

“It’s not his fault that, that was the transfer price or wages the clubs agreed to”.

Yeah it’s not their fault, but your price and salary is one measure of your worth/impact/expectations. Or should be.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I think he’ll be the next Sergio Ramos. He’s been massively error prone when I’ve seen him for Ajax and Holland but it was ignored because his team was winning and he score a towering header at the other end.
Sergio Ramos is ‘massively error prone’? He’s been known to make a mistake but he’s been consistently fecking brilliant for about as long as any other centre half to have played the game. His ceiling was arguably lower than other legendary centre backs but I’d say he’s up there, especially in terms of consistency.

Godfather

He'll obviously be good in the long run. Wonder if the Juve fans will write him off as fast as we do with our players
As fast as we do that's funny. We hang on to dross for way too long. And nobody in our fanbase writes off a player after one game. Especially if he has a history of being really really good.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Sergio Ramos is ‘massively error prone’? He’s been known to make a mistake but he’s been consistently fecking brilliant for about as long as any other centre half to have played the game. His ceiling was arguably lower than other legendary centre backs but I’d say he’s up there, especially in terms of consistency.
Consistently dodgy defensively.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
He's still extremely young and communication is key at his position. All the money in the world can't fast track the learning period he needs to adapt. He's got too much potential and ability to fully flop.

Tostao_80

Youd put Sergio Ramos up there with Franco Baresi? Even Maldini for that matter? He's not in their class when it comes to defending.

pascell

Only if he develops as per people's expectations. As with every player, he has it all to prove.

Also being laughably bad surely isn't expected? He'll have to be better than that.
Maybe he's not match sharp, it happens to the best of defenders, Vidic had a torrid time vs Torres.

Well there's no way of knowing that for sure.
There's not but the potential is there and it was obvious he's a quality player from his performances last season.

For one goal at least, it has nothing to do with age and experience, it's just stupid shit and laziness. He just refused to run back and acted all suprised when the Napoli player was in a better position for the goal.
It happens to the best of players, he'll have more performances like that one and learn from it.
What do you expect when every team in the world wants him and his agent is Raiola? They could ask what they wanted as the transfer fee for a player of his potential was low.

Eriku

Youd put Sergio Ramos up there with Franco Baresi? Even Maldini for that matter? He's not in their class when it comes to defending.
So either you are in the class of Baresi or Maldini, or you’re massively error prone and overrated?

Classical Mechanic

Sure but take his leadership qualities and his goal scoring abilities away and he wouldn’t be a top level defender. Plenty of people think Ramos is massively overrated because they judge him purely on his defensive abilities. I’m not one of them.

Tostao_80

So either you are in the class of Baresi or Maldini, or you’re massively error prone and overrated?
No, hes a great player. I was responding to the poster who compared Ramos to legendary centre backs. I dont agree hes in their class. Hes one of the best his era but Ramos name doesn't often come up in the discussion of greatest defenders of all time.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
No, hes a great player. I was responding to the poster who compared Ramos to legendary centre backs. I dont agree hes in their class. Hes one of the best his era but Ramos name doesn't often come up in the discussion of greatest defenders of all time.
Which is stupid IMO. Ramos has contributed to 4 CL's, 2 Euro's and 1 World Cup, as well as several league titles. His trophy cabinet is loaded.

It's not like Baresi, Maldini etc were 100% flawless and having clean sheets week in week out.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Lozano's goal was exactly what he talked about in his interview, why sarri told him he'd be on the bench for the first month. He thinks individually instead of as part of a unit

ekestubbe

He's consistent at getting himself sent off at least.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...er-dismissal-in-real-madrids-defeat-to-girona

Untd55

I have always thought he was being overrated. Llorente completely destroyed him in the Champions League semi-final, and he isn't even a good striker.

I feel he did well in their system, but he has a lot of flaws. I think he will flop myself or come to be nowhere near as good as some are expecting.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I have always thought he was being overrated. Llorente completely destroyed him in the Champions League semi-final, and he isn't even a good striker.

I feel he did well in their system, but he has a lot of flaws. I think he will flop myself or come to be nowhere near as good as some are expecting.
He's a kid and for some reason these kids want everything now. He would have been best served staying at Ajax for a couple more years.

A-man

With United eyes it was kind of refreshing to see that the two top players of everybody's wish list, de Ligt and Koulibaly, both made several critical mistakes and failures.

3KDré

He's a kid and for some reason these kids want everything now. He would have been best served staying at Ajax for a couple more years.
Not sure if this is because he 'wants everything'. Juve and Barca were probably the most logical choices, but given that Barca are not as well run as Juve it was the best place for him to go surely? He is in a tougher league (to challenge himself rather than dominating the Eridivisie), the starting centre backs are the perfect age for him to take over when they are phasing out soon and they are two of the best centre backs in the world to learn from.

FootyCrew

Welcome to Redcafe, black and white all over the place.

If you are an striker and don't score 30 goals per season ,you are overrated.
If you are young top scorer but don't outscore Messi and CR7, you are and overrated kid.
If you have 2 bad matches in a row you are an overrated player, bad bad bad player.
If you are a defender and make a couple of mistakes, you are 'error prone' defender.
If you are a GK and don't have saves like Yashin, you are a fail of GK.

dbs235

The Caf is brutal. For both United players and rival players. You have to be the finished product by 20. Miss a chance as a striker above 5"5 and you're a donkey. No matter how good you are, make one mistake and your thread is instantly bumped with laughing faces. It's just how it goes on here :lol:

Velvet Revolver

The Caf is brutal. For both United players and rival players. You have to be the finished product by 20. Miss a chance as a striker above 5"5 and you're a donkey. No matter how good you are, make one mistake and your thread is instantly bumped with laughing faces. It's just how it goes on here :lol:
Truer words were not spoken!