Matthijs De Ligt | Juventus Player

izec

Juve never wanted De Jong though, it was Barca, City and PSG. What he says is right for this season, but that can change in the future. De Jong chose Barca for a long part of his career, not for a couple of years.

It is only the first season, in a couple of years, both will be established at their clubs.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Haven't been following La Liga much recently, but I thought de Jong started quite well at Barca? That's until the Dembele & Suarez injuries basically destroyed any semblance of "balance" they had upfront.

Relying on Pique/Busquets/Rakitic/Vidal is more of an issue. Maybe Vidal less so, but there's just a worrying lack of pace/physicality throughout that Barca team, which will see them possibly end this season empty handed.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Haven't been following La Liga much recently, but I thought de Jong started quite well at Barca? That's until the Dembele & Suarez injuries basically destroyed any semblance of "balance" they had upfront.

Relying on Pique/Busquets/Rakitic/Vidal is more of an issue. Maybe Vidal less so, but there's just a worrying lack of pace/physicality throughout that Barca team, which will see them possibly end this season empty handed.
I'd say he is slightly above average. He doesnt do a lot wrong and you can see his talent. He's no Busquets yet though and the way they play now, they have 3 identical midfielders without depth. It's lobotomizing to watch. He'll be fine though, but I wish he had gone to the premier league. Just cant bring myself to follow Barca.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I'd say he is slightly above average. He doesnt do a lot wrong and you can see his talent. He's no Busquets yet though and the way they play now, they have 3 identical midfielders without depth. It's lobotomizing to watch. He'll be fine though, but I wish he had gone to the premier league. Just cant bring myself to follow Barca.
Thanks for the response. Yeah, they have some big issues there, especially now with Suarez out and Dembele gone through his second year missing/injured. Crazy to think that they actually also signed Griezmann, when they've been crying out for some pace and power in that side.

romufc

Credit to Manutd here. Could have gone in and offered Mino and De Ligt 250k a week and all sorts but stuck to our guns and got Maguire instead.

Stadjer

Credit to Manutd here. Could have gone in and offered Mino and De Ligt 250k a week and all sorts but stuck to our guns and got Maguire instead.
I dont think that is the reason we got Maguire and not de Ligt. De Ligt had the option to go to Juventus or Barcelona and Maguire could only go to Manchester United. De Ligt didnt want to go here and Maguire did want to go. Also you could argue that getting de Ligt would have been better than getting Maguire.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
I dont think that is the reason we got Maguire and not de Ligt. De Ligt had the option to go to Juventus or Barcelona and Maguire could only go to Manchester United. De Ligt didnt want to go here and Maguire did want to go. Also you could argue that getting de Ligt would have been better than getting Maguire.
I wouldn't be arguing the latter just yet. He's been a bit shit for Juve.

Javi

The problem with Frenkie is that his best position would be the position of Busquets. Now who is going to drop Busquets?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
The problem with Frenkie is that his best position would be the position of Busquets. Now who is going to drop Busquets?
Maybe he can gently nudge his shoulder, he'll drop down screaming Im sure.

Sjaakmeoff

Strange how this has become what a lot of people think. Because it's not true.

Check the games Frenkie played at Busquets' position. He didn't play that well at all.

The reason for this is that he isn't at his best in a single pivot system. If you want to use his quality you should always play him from the left in a double pivot system.

But ehm..De Ligt...Juve.

cyberman

City were after Maguire last summer

romufc

Also you could argue that getting de Ligt would have been better than getting Maguire.
How so? Maguire has shown he is what we required not just on the pitch but off it. He is experienced in the PL, a leader and a real presence in the dressing room. Can you say the same with De Ligt at his age now? Maybe in the future he will be that player who knows.

Manchester United was not the only place, we are the only ones that met the required fee.

Stadjer

How, exactly, could you argue that at this point in time?
I dont think there is much difference in quality between Matthijs de Ligt and Harry Maguire.

I do understand that this is a Manchester United forum and that Maguire is 1) captain, 2) English 3) played well recently and that i should overrate Maguire as one of the best in the world but i really dont think Maguire is that much better (if better at all) than Matthijs de Ligt.

They did cost about the same, have comparable qualites in leadership, attacking headers and both are good defenders. However de Ligt is much younger, does have experience playing in the semi final CL, played the nations league final, played in the CL, won the golden boy award and part of last season FIFPro XI last year. Also de Ligt is capable of sprinting and turning without it looking awkward... something Maguire isnt capable off. I do think Maguire his lack of agility could cause some problems in the future. Not that de Ligt is the most agile defender in the world but he is more agile than Maguire. De Ligt is also much younger so i could see him become much better, defenders usually do get better with age.

De Ligt didnt start great at Juventus with all the hand balls but he has recovered of his bumpy start and is playing fairly well right now. He also had to play as a left central defender at the start of the season while he is used to playing right central defender. It might be a small thing but when you are that young and arrive in a new country, new club and have to play a totally different style than he was used to, it does make a difference.

Ofcourse you dont know how de Ligt would have done if he came to Manchester United in the state Manchester United was in during the better part of the season. However i do think de Ligt has the mentality and leadership qualities to have stepped up like Maguire has done recently. I am not saying that signing Maguire was a bad move because he is the best defender at the club but i doubt that signing de Ligt would have been a worse move. It might even have been a better move long term. It was never an option to sign de Ligt however since de Ligt never wanted to join Manchester United.

Javi

Strange how this has become what a lot of people think. Because it's not true.

Check the games Frenkie played at Busquets' position. He didn't play that well at all.

The reason for this is that he isn't at his best in a single pivot system. If you want to use his quality you should always play him from the left in a double pivot system.

But ehm..De Ligt...Juve.
I'd probably agree with what you're saying but Barça doesn't play double pivot, so its not an option. Barça didn't perform well because the team would of course have to adapt a bit to Frenkie's style which is a lot different than the one of Busquets. With Busquets their full backs move up and their center backs move wide while Busquets drops back between them. This suits Busquets but not Frenkie. Frenkie is more effectively used in front of the defence inside opposite players. So in order to still start building up with 3 man in a line Barça would need a full back to sit deep to allow Frenkie the position in front of them. The only players suited for that is Roberto. Frenkie only played once as CDM with Roberto as RB ... when Barça trashed Sevilla 4:0.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Wait, people are now actively happy that we've signed Maguire instead of De Light?

Stadjer

Wait, people are now actively happy that we've signed Maguire instead of De Light?
Ofcourse... people here (understandably) overrate Manchester United players. That Manchester United was never an option for de Ligt and that he also has Raiola working for him doesnt help de Ligt his case either. If de Ligt did sign for Manchester United last summer he would have been hailed as the best defender since Rio i imagine.

The same happens in reverse on Dutch television. Maguire is a bit of a joke when Manchester United games are aired. Rafael van der Vaart started it during last Nations League when Maguire made some very bad passes and earlier during the season van der Vaart claimed he could find a better player in a lower sundag league team. While he was talking about Maguire he showed some really bad footage of Maguire trying to pass (horrible passes) or turning around to run (turning like an oil tanker) after someone. Maguire is usually used a prime example about how badly Manchester United is run and how much money is available in the Premier League.

During live matches Dutch commentators usually make fun of Maguire too but usually they also have to admit that he is ''a good defender when there isnt much space behind him, good when he can just stay near his own box and head the ball away but otherwise limited''. Personally i mostly agree with what Robin van Persie said about Maguire. He said that he is a good defender who is good but not excellent on the ball.

Classical Mechanic

De Ligt's issue is that he's prone to massive blunders, despite his talent. He needs to iron them out otherwise he'll always be accused of being 'overrated'.

arthurka

He would have been hanged out to dry if he had signed for us that's for sure.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
De Ligt's issue is that he's prone to massive blunders, despite his talent. He needs to iron them out otherwise he'll always be accused of being 'overrated'.
I get your point but generally any mistake defenders make tends to be looked upon as massive blunders bc more often than with any other position it results in the most severe punishment possible: a goal, a Pk, and/or a possible sending off. How often do we not hear it being said about our own defenders: "he s pretty good, but he s always good for one big mistake in a game" etc.

Pep's Suit

He was simply overrated (just like De Jong) because of two good games in CL against big clubs and a nice 7 min youtube compilation made from 40 hours of football.

JoaquinJoaquin

Maguire is much better than De Ligt. De Ligt has been a huge disappointment so far for Juve.

What am I reading on this forum lately?

Amarsdd

I dont think there is much difference in quality between Matthijs de Ligt and Harry Maguire.

I do understand that this is a Manchester United forum and that Maguire is 1) captain, 2) English 3) played well recently and that i should overrate Maguire as one of the best in the world but i really dont think Maguire is that much better (if better at all) than Matthijs de Ligt.

They did cost about the same, have comparable qualites in leadership, attacking headers and both are good defenders. However de Ligt is much younger, does have experience playing in the semi final CL, played the nations league final, played in the CL, won the golden boy award and part of last season FIFPro XI last year. Also de Ligt is capable of sprinting and turning without it looking awkward... something Maguire isnt capable off. I do think Maguire his lack of agility could cause some problems in the future. Not that de Ligt is the most agile defender in the world but he is more agile than Maguire. De Ligt is also much younger so i could see him become much better, defenders usually do get better with age.

De Ligt didnt start great at Juventus with all the hand balls but he has recovered of his bumpy start and is playing fairly well right now. He also had to play as a left central defender at the start of the season while he is used to playing right central defender. It might be a small thing but when you are that young and arrive in a new country, new club and have to play a totally different style than he was used to, it does make a difference.

Ofcourse you dont know how de Ligt would have done if he came to Manchester United in the state Manchester United was in during the better part of the season. However i do think de Ligt has the mentality and leadership qualities to have stepped up like Maguire has done recently. I am not saying that signing Maguire was a bad move because he is the best defender at the club but i doubt that signing de Ligt would have been a worse move. It might even have been a better move long term. It was never an option to sign de Ligt however since de Ligt never wanted to join Manchester United.
I don't doubt De Ligt is talented but last summer United required not only a talented defender but also an experienced one esp. PL experience. That experience and leadership in the last few months have vindicated getting Maguire instead of maybe De Ligt in our current situation.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
He was simply overrated (just like De Jong) because of two good games in CL against big clubs and a nice 7 min youtube compilation made from 40 hours of football.
That's just not true. Clubs track players like them for a long, long time. Possibly years.

In our case with De Ligt we will have been watching him from when we played Ajax in the EL at the absolute minimum.

I don't doubt De Ligt is talented but last summer United required not only a talented defender but also an experienced one esp. PL experience. That experience and leadership in the last few months have vindicated getting Maguire instead of maybe De Ligt in our current situation.
agreed. He’s the right player who could partner Maguire. Right player, without doubt it would have been the wrong time last summer.

mariachi-19

Bollocks mate.

For what we need right now, Maguire is a far better option then De Ligt. Its one thing to Captain the best team in the dutch league while having zero pressure on you in the CL (always the underdog - see capitulation at the hands of Spurs when they were favourites) then being the Captain of Manchester United.

Safe to say he'd be no better than a young Evans in the premier league at the same age.

Brightonian

He's had a tricky start there, not surprising for such a young player after such a big move. He'll come good - potentially very very good, because he's got absolutely everything in his locker. But right now obviously Maguire is playing better, and so he should, because he's in his prime.

romufc

Bollocks mate.

For what we need right now, Maguire is a far better option then De Ligt. Its one thing to Captain the best team in the dutch league while having zero pressure on you in the CL (always the underdog - see capitulation at the hands of Spurs when they were favourites) then being the Captain of Manchester United.

Safe to say he'd be no better than a young Evans in the premier league at the same age.
Agreed, lets just for once agree that we done the better deal. If De Ligt came with the hige pressure on such a young man, every mistake would be highlighted. The media are less likely to highlight such mistakes when he is England No. 1. That has helped him settle here and become a leader.

Stadjer

Bollocks mate.

De Ligt has shown leadership qualities and great mentality. De Ligt already had the pressure on him at Ajax that he always needed to win the game, Maguire never had that before he joined Manchester United. The ''having to win'' is a totally new experience for Maguire. Zero pressure in the CL? De Ligt came up with some important goals at the most important moments, Ramos-like moments. De Ligt played high pressure CL games, played a Europa League final and also played a nations league final. He has had to deal with more big games with lots of pressure on it than Maguire.

Comparing de Ligt to a young Evans... yeah, that proves the point of overrating Manchester United players and/or underrating other players.

I dont think de Ligt would have done worse than Maguire. Matthijs de Ligt didnt have the best start at Juventus but Maguire didnt have the best start either.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Also, De Ligt doesn't look like a bitch-Stewie style clone of Pedro Pascal.

mariachi-19

De Ligt has shown leadership qualities and great mentality. De Ligt already had the pressure on him at Ajax that he always needed to win the game, Maguire never had that before he joined Manchester United. The ''having to win'' is a totally new experience for Maguire. Zero pressure in the CL? De Ligt came up with some important goals at the most important moments, Ramos-like moments. De Ligt played high pressure CL games, played a Europa League final and also played a nations league final. He has had to deal with more big games with lots of pressure on it than Maguire.

Comparing de Ligt to a young Evans... yeah, that proves the point of overrating Manchester United players and/or underrating other players.

I dont think de Ligt would have done worse than Maguire. Matthijs de Ligt didnt have the best start at Juventus but Maguire didnt have the best start either.
Right... so Evans who was a key part of our 2009 league title campaign was overrated?

Right now wonder boy isnt looking any better than Chris Smalling in the same league (I'd say Smalling is actually having the better season of the two).

Maguire was the far better option to have for us last year.

Stadjer

Right... so Evans who was a key part of our 2009 league title campaign was overrated?

Right now wonder boy isnt looking any better than Chris Smalling in the same league (I'd say Smalling is actually having the better season of the two).

Maguire was the far better option to have for us last year.
Evans did play with Rio/Vidic next to him and Edwin van der Sar behind him while being managed by a genius who could make average players look like good players. That certainly does help to look good. Evans is a good premier league defender... nothing more and nothing less. He was never going to be a defender that Barcelona or Juventus would fight over or any other big European club would go for. Something de Ligt achieved before turning 20 years old.

Smalling isnt a bad player at all, he is a good defender. De Ligt started the season very unlucky with the handballs but has recovered from that and is playing well since. He recently had an interview and said that the first part of the season was supposed to be a learning/intregration period but because of the injuries he played a lot of games. Now he seems more adapted and looks good... better than Smalling.

I dont think Maguire/de Ligt would have made much of a difference this season. Both didnt started at their new clubs at their very best but both have improved recently. Long term de Ligt will likely be considered one of the very best defenders in the world and Maguire will likely be a (very) good Premier League centre back.

Agreed, lets just for once agree that we done the better deal. If De Ligt came with the hige pressure on such a young man, every mistake would be highlighted. The media are less likely to highlight such mistakes when he is England No. 1. That has helped him settle here and become a leader.
That is a good point though.. British media would have labeled de Ligt a waste of money and come up with 'why didnt Manchester United didnt sign Harry Maguire.. a Premier League proven England international.. look how Leicester is doing!'. The Dutch tv is also the complete opposite of the English when it comes to Maguire. English tv dont show his bad moments and focus on the good moments of his game while the Dutch tv love to laugh at the weaker sides of the worlds most expensive ,more expensive than Virgil van Dijk, defender.

Overal though, Maguire was a good option to buy for a lot of money. Short term i dont think Maguire or de Ligt would have made much of a difference (certainly the way the season with Maguire has gone anyway) but long term de Ligt would likely have been a far better option. Not that it matters much since Manchester United was the only club willing to pay for Maguire and de Ligt never wanted to come to Manchester. Both of them got the move to a big club. Everyone is happy.

hubbuh

Also, De Ligt doesn't look like a bitch-Stewie style clone of Pedro Pascal.
de Ligt looks like every other posh young wanker from the Netherlands, Slab God's head is fecking legendary. No contest there. In actual footballing terms, current de Ligt joining us would have been the absolute worst move for both parties. A reforming United side and defence, combined with a young starlet centre back with huge pressure in a ridiculously fast paced league where all of your mistakes and flaws are magnified to the nth degree. The main talking point would have been his transfer fee + wages, 'cos there's no way he would have come here and revolutionised the backline as he would have been expected to do.

kidbob

De Ligt will eventually be fine but he'll never reach the level that Konate or Upemecano will reach and he was never going to. He'll reach the Maguire level and that's it. He has struggled for the best team in a one team league. Same with De Jong, they'll both be very good without being top class. For example De Jong will never get near Busquet's level, nowhere near at all.

I'm happy we bought Maguire as long as we get one of the Leipzeig players who are really destined to become the very best.

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
As a PSV fan I tend to find Ajax players a bit overrated (in Dutch media they usually are). De Ligt definetely isn't one of them though. Brilliant defender and will have a much better career than Maguire .