Matthijs de Ligt / signs for Juventus, lowering their average age to 56

Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This apparent Barcelona PSG transfer rivarly with City playing the dark horse is super exciting.

:yawn:

Dolf

I still don't understand why we are not in for him. We need a new top CB and buying a Koulibaly/Van Dijk type player would cost just as much. And yes, they are a bit better but also 7/8 years older.

Can't go wrong with buying De Ligt if you ask me. Whoever gets him will have at the very least a decent CB for the next 12 years.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
More and more I've become quite convinced that Raiola is planning to move Pogba to Real Madrid at the end of this season (maybe with PSG as a plan B), even more so if we in fact end up in the Europa League again which doesn't look unlikely at this point.

The fat bastard might have to offer something in return in order to make that happen though, and that could be where De Ligt comes in. Would be terrible to see him end up at City instead, or Liverpool for that matter although luckily that looks unlikely. If the cards are played right De Ligt can cherry pick any club in the world himself obviously. And over the last year he's been linked with pretty much every top club too, so ultimately the chance of him choosing United are probably pretty slim.

His natural leadership is probably the most impressive thing about him, I can't really remember any Dutch player in the last 30 years coming close to that at such a young age. And it's exactly what this club needs, probably more than most other rich top clubs at this moment.

De Gea for all his brilliance doesn't really have it, neither does a talented player like Shaw or someone like Lindelof. Neither do I see real leaders in guys like Smalling, Jones, the verdict is still out on Dalot. Aside from the lack in quality, our defense is such a far cry from the real inspirational winner's mentality and organizing skills of guys like Evra, Edwin, Vidic and Rio, who formed the backbone of one of our most succesful teams.

It's that type of leadership and mentality that makes the difference between winning the league or finishing third, much more than the pure individual quality available in a team I think. So ultimately paying a truly ridiculous fee like €120 million for this guy might actually be worth every penny for us.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
More and more I've become quite convinced that Raiola is planning to move Pogba to Real Madrid at the end of this season (maybe with PSG as a plan B), even more so if we in fact end up in the Europa League again which doesn't look unlikely at this point.

The fat bastard might have to offer something in return in order to make that happen though, and that could be where De Ligt comes in. Would be terrible to see him end up at City instead, or Liverpool for that matter although luckily that looks unlikely. If the cards are played right De Ligt can cherry pick any club in the world himself obviously. And over the last year he's been linked with pretty much every top club too, so ultimately the chance of him choosing United are probably pretty slim.

His natural leadership is probably the most impressive thing about him, I can't really remember any Dutch player in the last 30 years coming close to that at such a young age. And it's exactly what this club needs, probably more than most other rich top clubs at this moment.

De Gea for all his brilliance doesn't really have it, neither does a talented player like Shaw or someone like Lindelof. Neither do I see real leaders in guys like Smalling, Jones, the verdict is still out on Dalot. Aside from the lack in quality, our defense is such a far cry from the real inspirational winner's mentality and organizing skills of guys like Evra, Edwin, Vidic and Rio, who formed the backbone of one of our most succesful teams.

It's that type of leadership and mentality that makes the difference between winning the league or finishing third, much more than the pure individual quality available in a team I think. So ultimately paying a truly ridiculous fee like €120 million for this guy might actually be worth every penny for us.
If that's the deal, don't want him.

SATA

Would Ajax let him and de Jong both go in the same year? Yes it's a lot of cash for both but won't their fans revolt or something? I would think they would like to hold on to de Ligt for another year then sell him in 2020? His value won't drop or plummet anyway

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

Pogba wouldn't leave this summer. 100%

BlueHaze

If he truly has his heart set on Barca which wouldn't be a surprise then feck him. If he ends up there then we need to make sure Koulibaly ends up here. I wouldn't mind Milenkovic either.

Ekeke

Would Ajax let him and de Jong both go in the same year? Yes it's a lot of cash for both but won't their fans revolt or something? I would think they would like to hold on to de Ligt for another year then sell him in 2020? His value won't drop or plummet anyway
Why? Ajax are clearly a selling club. As long as they can compete domestically I'm sure they'll be fine. And with all the money coming in they'll have plenty to replace what are players with potential, rather than already great players.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Barca and PSG already both have too many CBs I would be surprised if they are both still in the race for him.

Aloysius's Back 3

Has us written all over it. We need a LCB in particular & happened to give them Blind back who was our LCB for some time too.

Pretty excited :drool:

Kostov

This guy is such a talent it would be a travesty if we let him go to another club while our CBs options are what they are.

EDIT: You can bet if he comes here, we'll be screaming for him to be made captain in 2 years time max.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Barca has like three left-sided CBs?
They have Umtiti and Lenglet for the left. And Pique and Jean Clair-Todibo for the right. So unless Pique retires at the end of the season or they bought Todibo to play for Barca B they do not really need another CB.

crossy1686

career ending

We've just fired a manager because Pogba was going to leave (amongst other reasons), there's no way we're letting him go while he still has a contract.

Sjaakmeoff

To answer your question; ESPN did an excellent piece on this yesterday (apart from a few minor details about which players are real academy players and which re not).

http://www.espn.com/soccer/blog/esp...ler-for-ajax-its-their-business-model?src=com

AshleyDevil

It annoys me that Manchester United are never in for players like this. It's always Barca, PSG, Man City etc.. we are the biggest club in the world! Why are we never in for players like this?! Yet we've given Mctominay a new 5 year contract. It really worries me. I know they play in different positions but I mean the quality of player. So much deadwood in our squad and they don't seem to be leaving.

Last edited:

Mcking

They have Umtiti and Lenglet for the left. And Pique and Jean Clair-Todibo for the right. So unless Pique retires at the end of the season or they bought Todibo to play for Barca B they do not really need another CB.
They have Vermaelen too, although his contract will be apparently up in the summer. I think Todibo will be playing for their B team, he's got like less than 20 career appearances. Pique seems on the decline, and I think they'd like to react swiftly to secure a competition and potential long term replacement seeing as he is the only option, and someone like de Ligt might be available. I don't know why Barca signed Lenglet when they already have Umtiti.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
This guy is going to cost 70m+ so we need to decide whether it's him or Koulibaly.

I'd personally prefer Koulibaly right now, but De Ligt looks a great talent.

United Pro

For me, it's between him and Koulibaly as to who we go for as our CB option in the summer. Koulibaly is currently the superior player but de Ligt has the higher potential and will arguably be the better player in 2-3 years time.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I would love to get him but if not there other options.

Koulibaly, Skriniar or Milenkovic in particular

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
They have Vermaelen too, although his contract will be apparently up in the summer. I think Todibo will be playing for their B team, he's got like less than 20 career appearances. Pique seems on the decline, and I think they'd like to react swiftly to secure a competition and potential long term replacement seeing as he is the only option, and someone like de Ligt might be available. I don't know why Barca signed Lenglet when they already have Umtiti.
I think they expect Todibo to be there Varane who joined Real with a similar amount of first team experience. Plus Barca do not like dealing with Raiola.

the chameleon

It annoys me that Manchester United are never in for players like this. It's always Barca, PSG, Man City etc.. we are the biggest club in the world! Why are we never in for players like this?! Yet we've given Mctominay a new 5 year contract. It really worries me. I know they play in different positions but I mean the quality of player. So much deadwood in our squad and they don't seem to be leaving.
Very frustrating indeed. I feel what fans want is exciting young players. We used to the club that went for those types of players. Nowadays, we go for safe, underwhelming and sometimes baffling options. Remember the build up to summer window 2016 and being linked with Griezeman and only overpaying for the underwhelming Lukaku. Then getting Sanchez (the baffling). I hear noises about Perisic now ( underwhelming). Knowing us, we'll end up getting Alerweirald, who'll play 20 games a season until he's 34. With Jones still there in 2023 as our main centre back.

Member 93275

Waiting for the first "he's hyped, from the Eredivisie and will flop" posts... :lol:

ArjenIsM3

PSG bound are the rumours in Holland
There's rumours yeah, but I wouldn't say PSG bound. One newspaper is saying PSG have expressed an interest and another is saying Juve is his most likely destination. In other words, they know he's going to a big club but they're just speculating on which one it'll be.

arthurka

We are not in for him. We need a ready made CB more ATM but this kid looks really talented.

red4ever 79

There's rumours yeah, but I wouldn't say PSG bound. One newspaper is saying PSG have expressed an interest and another is saying Juve is his most likely destination. In other words, they know he's going to a big club but they're just speculating on which one it'll be.
I have just this second spoke with a colleague of mine from Uithoorn, season ticket holder. Widely acknowledged and accepted he is off to PSG. He is usually spot on my guy.

Red_toad

Never in for players like this, but bought Rooney, Rio, RVN, Pogba, Martial etc etc etc, but yeah we never go for the latest hyped young player ever.... I mean it's like we never bought Depay either as he was young Dutch and hyped to heck.
Be better if you actually posted based on events or your feelings, rather than a pile of made up rot.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I'm personally more convinced De Ligt will be truly world class than Frenkie de Jong. Would love for United to get him. All these players going to Spain would suck, since I can't bring myself to watch La Liga.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I have just this second spoke with a colleague of mine from Uithoorn, season ticket holder. Widely acknowledged and accepted he is off to PSG. He is usually spot on my guy.
It would make zero sense. They do not really need a Thiago Silva replacement since Marquinhos and Kimpembe are still pretty young. Plus for some reason they spent 37 million on Kehrer last summer. But, it is PSG nothing they do ever makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.