Matthijs de Ligt / signs for Juventus, lowering their average age to 56

Status
Not open for further replies.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yes De Ligt is a great transfer but I dont think Ramsey is good enough for Juve and Pjanic despite being a tidy player he lacks flair and kind of disappears when it matters. Last year they lacked imagination and class to get over Ajax press. Can't see how Rabiot and Ramsey will change that.
Sarri will change that. Pjanic has plenty of flair, he's been great and one of the most underestimated players around while playing under a manager that never enhanced his strenghts. Sarri made Jorginho look like a great player and Pjanic is twice the player

GBBQ

Because no one is paying that among the clubs that could attract him. People really need to look at the fees outside of the UK, they are fairly different.
On standard players I would agree but for superstar players we've been blown out of the water by PSG (Mbappe & neymar) and Barcelona (Coutinho & Dembele). Madrid paid more for Hazard than we did for Pogba and Juve have paid high prices for Higuain and Ronaldo on par with what we paid for Pogba and Lukaku.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
On standard players I would agree but for superstar players we've been blown out of the water by PSG (Mbappe & neymar) and Barcelona (Coutinho & Dembele). Madrid paid more for Hazard than we did for Pogba and Juve have paid high prices for Higuain and Ronaldo on par with what we paid for Pogba and Lukaku.
These are exceptions not the rule. And there is a particular context for these moves too, De Ligt is a standard player in a standard context, he is comparable to Arthur or even this summer like Jovic.

Edit: Just to be clear, 3 of the players that you mentioned are linked to the same transfer.

Cliche Guevara

There is still hope. If De Ligt signs for Juventus I stand to make £275 and I’m an absolute jinx.

Failed medical coming right up!

croadyman

Gutted we didn't get him but just hope it was more than one thing than Raiola which stopped us trying.

croadyman

Might just be the bitter fanboy in me but I genuinely think if we’d have got a top four place he’d be a United player right now.
Might just be the bitter fanboy in me but I genuinely think if we’d have got a top four place he’d be a United player right now.
Yeah he is the player than makes me absolutely sick to my guts we missed out on top 4.

Really stings we just accepted he was going to join Barca rather than rivalled Juve for him.

Didn't help he has that snake for an agent who got our back up with the Pogba stuff.

RoyH1

Juve fans chanting Raiola’s name when de Ligt came in.

What a strange understanding of football they have down there.

nonetheless

Supports
Juve
Cry me a river. Italy is as competitive as Scotland nowadays

EPL
La Liga
Bundesliga
Serie A/Ligue 1

says who? that's your opinion based only on your personal bias and saying that is like the scottish league shows it. For me and more importantly according to UEFA rankings, putting serie A on par with Ligue 1 or below Bundesliga is a joke.

Technically Serie A is behind EPL and La Liga, tactically is on par if not above any other of the top 3.

Last edited by a moderator:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
With the rumours that he is to play and learn from Chiellini I thought that maybe a thread title like “Teenage defender to be groomed by older man” might be apt.
Or maybe not

starman

says who? that's your opinion based only on your personal bias and saying that is like the scottish league shows it. For me and more importantly according to UEFA rankings, putting serie A on par with Ligue 1 or below Bundesliga is a joke.

Technically Serie A is behind EPL and La Liga, tactically is on par if not above any other of the top 3.
I love it how you lambast my opinion and than state yours like its a fact :lol::rolleyes::houllier:

I suggest you simply search Google and see the different statistic based rankings or uefa coefficient ratings. If you remove PSG and Juv, Ligue 1 is ahead.

LuckyScout78

Looks like Ronaldo convinced him enough. We human like to feel wanted and appreciate. Convince and sell your club. As the club for the permission to call and talk to the player. Ronaldo took the chance to convince De Ligt on the pitch. Ronaldo work as Juventus Dof on the pitch.
Maybe it was fate. If Ronaldo and Juventus didn’t meet Ajax in the semi ch.league. I doubt Ronaldo would take a phone call to convince De Ligt. “Hi bro. Come to Juventus. We are a really good team now, but with you in the team. We will be closer to win the champion league. “

Like the movie Ocean Eleven and most area in our life. If you want a person with some top expertise to work for you. You have to convince them. Make them feel wanted and appreciate. Let them know your goal and plan. The great team and teammates he will join. And believe and trust.

I didn’t know what exactly Ronaldo said to De Ligt. But psychologically its about : Come join us and convincing.
So beside money, salary and high contract. If you can convince peoples enough. It will be big chance they will work with you. Feeling wanted and welcome.
Ronaldo didn’t want to let a chance to convince a potential really good teammate to run away from him. Take the chance when he had. And i think its one of the biggest reason why De Ligt join Juventus, beside others reasons.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Great buy from Juve in all honesty. I think they might even win the Serie A with him in the squad next year.

Fer

It's obvious that De Ligt was the caf's favorite... He is a great CB but do you think there's another defender with better potential?

There are good young defenders like Upemacano, Konate, Liete, Diop, Sarr, Diallo, Tah, Diaz, etc. Who do you rate as high as De Ligt?

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
well done, you mention two players we were never in the market for
Except we were and SAF said as much. That same window Hazard signed for Chelsea we signed Kagawa as we missed out on Hazard.

And Nasri chose City over us.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
€150m release clause that activates in 2022... guess that's his price in 3 years when he goes to Barca/Real Madrid or somewhere in the prem!

Raven

To the people saying he's better than Maguire, are you sure of this? Sure he'll become the better player, but is he really the better player currently?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
To the people saying he's better than Maguire, are you sure of this? Sure he'll become the better player, but is he really the better player currently?
Easily. At 19, he has won more prestigious individual awards than Maguire has at 26, and has accomplished far more. Every big clubs / European giants wants to sign him.

De Ligt
- 19 years old, 17 international caps
- Dutch Player of the year 18-19
- CL squad of the season 18-19
- Europa league squad of the season 17-18
- National league team of the tournament 18-19
- Golden Boy 2018
- whoscored avg rating (18-19) 7.28

Maguire
- 26 years old, 20 international caps
- Leicester city player of the year 17-18
- Hull City player of the year 16-17
- Sheffield United player of the year 11-14
- whoscored avg rating (18-19) 7.01

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
€150m release clause that activates in 2022... guess that's his price in 3 years when he goes to Barca/Real Madrid or somewhere in the prem!
That's pretty low. He'll move to Spain around that time. Brilliant coup for Juve though. They must be one of the favourites for the CL over the next few years.

Holters

I doubt he is. He is hyped out of proportions. I'm sure there will be frustrations with him in Italy as he continues his development. He has potential to become a generational defender, but he is not there yet. People tout him already as the best defender in the world. It's obviously bullshit.

Bokito

If reports are to be believed we offered him 400k a week, which tells us a lot
If reports in the Netherlands are to be believed, United never made a formal offer. Three clubs were in for him: Barca, PSG and Juve.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
That's pretty low. He'll move to Spain around that time. Brilliant coup for Juve though. They must be one of the favourites for the CL over the next few years.
Imagine he moved to Spain in 3 years or so, and Juventus earn double from selling him at 150m, which would be more than just cover all his wages at Juventus. Its like signing him for free for at least 3 years, literally.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Without a doubt, he's arguably in the top 3 best CB's in the world

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Imagine he moved to Spain in 3 years or so, and Juventus earn double from selling him at 150m, which would be more than just cover all his wages at Juventus. Its like signing him for free for at least 3 years, literally.
Not really. 150 million in three years time wouldn't be the same as 150 million now. I'd expect to sell this fellow if he's as good as he's hyped up to be for far more than that. Plus you could also argue that he's going to have mistakes in him right now and sloppiness that comes with any 19 year old and hence having him from 19-23 in his learning years isn't quite ideal.

Le Red

I doubt he is. He is hyped out of proportions. I'm sure there will be frustrations with him in Italy as he continues his development. He has potential to become a generational defender, but he is not there yet. People tout him already as the best defender in the world. It's obviously bullshit.
There'll be no frustration as any mistake he makes will be overshadowed by the fact his team can win the league with their hands tied behind their backs.

Status
Not open for further replies.