Matthijs de Ligt / signs for Juventus, lowering their average age to 56

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robertd0803

I hear you. But you gotta remember he's a defender. Even in todays post-City/PSG, Defenders won't go for North of 70m.. I hope.
You may be hoping in vain. Liverpool have set the benchmark with the Van Dijk fee, any club with a half decent defender will be looking for a pretty hefty amount now as result let alone a top level defender.

In Rainbows

I can't wait to see another great signing (if nothing else a massive talent) slip and be off to Madrid....
Imagine this

United decide to buy Jones in order to keep Liverpool away. Varane cites this as one of two reasons why he ultimately chose Madrid as United were chasing him. United then give Jones a new contract, and then Madrid buy De Ligt.

:nervous:

quackattack

Imagine this

United decide to buy Jones in order to keep Liverpool away. Varane cites this as one of two reasons why he ultimately chose Madrid as United were chasing him. United then give Jones a new contract, and then Madrid buy De Ligt.

:nervous:
Surely we must always "believe", but I just can't see De Ligt choosing United over Spain for some reason:(

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
60m I read today as well, absolute bargain in the days where a 27 year old CB costs 75m

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
VDS for DoF - get in De Ligt's ear

Member 93275

VDS for DoF - get in De Ligt's ear
Why do people keep mentioning VDS as DoF for United, when at Ajax he's the CEO, doing a lot of things except being a DoF which he leaves to the actual DoF (Overmars)?

JJ12

Why do people keep mentioning VDS as DoF for United, when at Ajax he's the CEO, doing a lot of things except being a DoF which he leaves to the actual DoF (Overmars)?
I'm sure he'd be capable of being DoF.

Member 93275

I'm sure he'd be capable of being DoF.
Based on what? It would be a career switch for him, after retiring as a footballer he first got an education in the business side of sports management, then was marketing manager at Ajax and then promoted to CEO. He's also an executive board member at ECA. He has chosen to become a suit.

SSSSnake

I'm being lazy as haven't really followed his progress but what sort of defender is he?
Will he compliment Lindeloff?

Revan

Assumptionman
Based on what? It would be a career switch for him, after retiring as a footballer he first got an education in the business side of sports management, then was marketing manager at Ajax and then promoted to CEO.
Most of people here seem to not have any idea what a DoF is. The other people who posters in redcafe proposed as DoF so far have been Sir Alex Ferguson, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Eric Cantona. For whatever reasons, a common opinion seems to be that a DoF is a former legend who does something not that important.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'm being lazy as haven't really followed his progress but what sort of defender is he?
Very similar to Lindelof in that he's a ball playing CB who's good at reading the game. Much higher potential though

JJ12

Most of people here seem to not have any idea what a DoF is. The other people who posters in redcafe proposed as DoF so far have been Sir Alex Ferguson, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Eric Cantona. For whatever reasons, a common opinion seems to be that a DoF is a former legend who does something not that important.
Don't think anyone has said that - everybody is aware that it is important.

I'm not sure we are any closer to appointing anyone - looks as though Arsenal have wrapped up Monchi 3 weeks after losing Mislinstat. Unless it's under wraps until end of the season are we even pursuing one?

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
He's basically a big, strong defender who can read the game amazingly, has a knack for perfectly barging through players with standing tackles/headers to win the ball right as they think they're about to receive a pass. two-footed (which is I don't know how rare for a centreback I imagine), can pass, dribble, etc. He's basically a one-man defence that is also amazing on the ball. honestly unheard of.

Revan

Assumptionman
Don't think anyone has said that - everybody is aware that it is important.

I'm not sure we are any closer to appointing anyone - looks as though Arsenal have wrapped up Monchi 3 weeks after losing Mislinstat. Unless it's under wraps until end of the season are we even pursuing one?
Considering that there have been thrown out names for DoFs who have spend as much time as me doing that job, it is fair to think that many people don't fully understand the importance of the job.

Revan

Assumptionman
He's basically a big, strong defender who can read the game amazingly, has a knack for perfectly barging through players with standing tackles/headers to win the ball right as they think they're about to receive a pass. two-footed (which is I don't know how rare for a centreback I imagine), can pass, dribble, etc. He's basically a one-man defence that is also amazing on the ball. honestly unheard of.
You think that 70m pounds will tempt Ajax, or they will keep him for at least another season?

He might be the best young CB I have ever seen. Better than Varane was at his age.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
You think that 70m pounds will tempt Ajax, or they will keep him for at least another season?

He might be the best young CB I have ever seen. Better than Varane was at his age.
Yeah £70m is like €80m so I think that's the sort of price Ajax would be looking for as acceptable, though obviously will be aiming to improve on the De Jong figure of €86m.

definitely don't think there's a chance whatsoever we keep him

Red4Life_#7

Hugeeeeeee statement!! Is he really that good?? :O I haven't really seen him. But everyone is talking about him.

Revan

Assumptionman
Yeah £70m is like €80m so I think that's the sort of price Ajax would be looking for as acceptable, though obviously will be aiming to improve on the De Jong figure of €86m.

definitely don't think there's a chance whatsoever we keep him
Why? Ajax shouldn't need the money now that you sold De Jong? Do you think that he will be desperate to leave (probably quadruple his salary)?

crossy1686

career ending
Can he play LCB to let Lindelof move to his preferred RCB?
I'd love to see this but I doubt we're as attractive as Barcelona, Madrid, PSG or even City at the moment. We need to win a big trophy next season to have more clout in the transfer market. All we can really offer at the moment is a big salary and CL football.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
De Ligt belongs in the special class of centerbacks that can complement practically anyone because of how well rounded their skill-set is (he has already played with different types of centerbacks in his career: Sánchez and Wöber to Van Dijk and Blind and even De Jong). Think along the lines of someone like Nesta, who had no problems excelling with a bunch of defenders — Mihajlović, Couto, Costacurta, Maldini, Cannavaro, Stam, Thiago. With the way football is progressing, having two centerbacks who are comfortable on the ball is becoming a bit of a norm at the elite level, and Lindelöf + De Ligt would be a very smooth partnership from that standpoint. And despite having the technical skill-set of a sweeper, De Ligt is fairly robust and very precise with his duels/tackles, so it wouldn't be a lightweight partnership by any means, especially with Shaw at leftback to further solidify things. Barring injuries, you could argue that he's the safest elite prospect in recent years with Mbappé; should be a no-brainer for United but the competition will be intense (especially from Juventus: who have a solid relationship with Raiola, as well as the usual Spanish suspects, among others).

Member 93275

So on one hand Ajax is filthy rich nowadays and nothing big to spend it on (a 50m player will not go to the Eredivisie). And Ajax is in danger of getting robbed from all their good players. The crown jewel is already lost after this season (Frenkie).

On the other, Ajax doesn't have a problem with players wanting a transfer when they're ready, even if they don't need the money. New talents are waiting for their chance. New potential signings know Ajax won't be difficult, and might not pick Ajax if they had a different reputation.

So I think it will go like this: Ajax will set a very high price, possibly higher than Frenkie's. If Barca is willing and capable to pay it, he will go there. If Barca can't, it will be more interesting. Then Juve, United, etc. come into play. If he's really longing for Barca and doesn't want to be stuck elsewhere, he could pick up another pay raise and remain patient at Ajax, in the hopes Barca has the funds next year. But I doubt that.

Revan

Assumptionman
So on one hand Ajax is filthy rich nowadays and nothing big to spend it on (a 50m player will not go to the Eredivisie). And Ajax is in danger of getting robbed from all their good players. The crown jewel is already lost after this season (Frenkie).

On the other, Ajax doesn't have a problem with players wanting a transfer when they're ready, even if they don't need the money. New talents are waiting for their chance. New potential signings know Ajax won't be difficult, and might not pick Ajax if they had a different reputation.

So I think it will go like this: Ajax will set a very high price, possibly higher than Frenkie's. If Barca is willing and capable to pay it, he will go there. If Barca can't, it will be more interesting. Then Juve, United, etc. come into play. If he's really longing for Barca and doesn't want to be stuck elsewhere, he could pick up another pay raise and remain patient at Ajax, in the hopes Barca has the funds next year. But I doubt that.
Here hoping that Barca doesn't have the money for another expensive transfer (they have spent a shitload of money recently) and well, they already have Pique and Umtiti (though Pique isn't getting any younger).

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Here hoping that Barca doesn't have the money for another expensive transfer (they have spent a shitload of money recently) and well, they already have Pique and Umtiti (though Pique isn't getting any younger).
They also have Lenglet and Todibo. I think De Ligt ends up at Juve.

Member 93275

They also have Lenglet and Todibo. I think De Ligt ends up at Juve.
Maybe, in reality there's priorities and budget. But they also have a shitload of great midfield talents, and still bought Frenkie. Barca, Real, PSG, they are always looking for not just very good, but the special, generational class. They would love to get De Ligt.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I can't se De Ligt at Juve tbh, I feel like they've doubled down with Ronaldo on the CL and if they flop out to Atletico, they will get blown out of the water for whatever team wants him. I hope we get him, would be a perfect signing, even if I thought Koulibaly was the more likely signing - I'm starting to believe we have a chance now :drool:

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I can see him at City unfortunately. Pep switching to a back 3 or replacing Stones.

We'd be crazy to not be kept up to date on goings on, at least. Especially with VDS behind the scenes there.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's gonna cost around a €100m if my Dutch friends are to be believed. Very well rounded CB who is excellent on the ball and is a real unit. Would be our best CB even at 19 IMO.

Dolf

This guy is a winner. He will go to the club that can win the most amount of trophies over the next 10-15 years. United unfortunately is not one of those clubs.
It will be one of Juve/Madrid/City
I can't see Barca spending even more money when they already have Lenglet and Umtiti. I also think De Ligt won't like the lack of challenge in the French league so he won't go to PSG (same as De Jong).

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
This guy is a winner. He will go to the club that can win the most amount of trophies over the next 10-15 years. United unfortunately is not one of those clubs.
I can't see Barca spending even more money when they already have Lenglet and Umtiti. I also think De Ligt won't like the lack of challenge in the French league so he won't go to PSG (same as De Jong).
Plus PSG already have Silva, Marquinhos, Kimpembe and for some reason they also have Kehrer.

JJ12

I fecking hope we aren't behind City for the next 15 years. Jeez.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If he comes to United we might start winning again. Add another two or three quality upgrades and we can challenge for the big titles again. It's all about selling our vision to him.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
We’re becoming a special proposition for players again under ole. Focus on youth, exciting, attacking football, champions league, big salary...it all adds up

izec

Instead of putting effort in Joao Felix, we should rather be in De Ligts ear, from morning til evening 7 days a week. There is your Varane type of CB talent Woody

Status
Not open for further replies.