Matthijs De Ligt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
Haven’t really watched him at Juventus but if he still can play like he did for Ajax then he’s better than anything we have but then there is the issue that it would only really make sense to get him if Harry Maguire was leaving. DeLigt probably still has faster feet and in general just a better player but they are both not that quick or agile so the two of them together would be like that iceberg slowly eaking towards Dicaprios boat.
You know that De Ligt is rather fast right and rather agile for someone his size. Sure not super fast or agile, but a lot better than Maguire. Besides most of his speed/agility has been lost in Italy due to the way the defend here, i'm sure he can regain a bit when he's not playing in Italy.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
He seems Chelsea bound… if / when a player has made his mind already, there is little margin.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
He seems Chelsea bound… if / when a player has made his mind already, there is little margin.
Can‘t imagine us stumping up what Juve will want for him. We have to buy 2 CB’s this window so spending nearly 100 million on De Ligt seems impossible.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Can‘t imagine us stumping up what Juve will want for him. We have to buy 2 CB’s this window so spending nearly 100 million on De Ligt seems impossible.
It would be one (or two) players + (minor) cash, though, which makes things even easier? Palmieri / Jorginho & Werner / Pulisic seem all palatable to Juve and a floor to try and work a combination for a deal. We will see.

dinostar77

Chaps, any reliable journalists linking him to us at all cause of ETH. Would be a strong start to the summer to strengthen the midfield with FDJ and then strengthen the defence with de ligit. Probably wishful thinking on my part.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Hopefully he runs out his contract and not go to Chelsea because I really like the idea of getting him.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Like Big Harry is proficient on scoring from corners!
He was before we signed him.
As was Fellaini.

Although probably one of those perception things.

In fairness to Maguire he does get his head on about 90% of corners. Which is a hell of a lot better than any other defender we've had since Vidic.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Werner and 45m offer according to dimarzio. Think that will get rejected

worldinmotion66

We should be all over this.
I agree. I'd be delighted if we could get De Ligt, De Jong and Eriksen, even if that was our entire budget.

Midfield: De Jong, Garner, Fred, McTominay, Van De Beek, Eriksen, Pereira

Attack: Ronaldo, Sancho, Rashford, Fernándes, Elanga, Garnacho, Mejbri, Amad, (Greenwood?)

Obviously there are major weaknesses and we'd be gambling on ten hag getting more from some of these players, but I think he will. De Ligt and Varane would be a fantastic defensive partnership. January we can push for Timber if the funds are available, and monitor some of the contracts winding down such as Kante.

pascell

I agree. I'd be delighted if we could get De Ligt, De Jong and Eriksen, even if that was our entire budget.

Attack: Ronaldo, Sancho, Rashford, Fernándes, Elanga, Garnacho, Mejbri, Amad, (Greenwood?)

Obviously there are major weaknesses and we'd be gambling on ten hag getting more from some of these players, but I think he will. De Ligt and Varane would be a fantastic defensive partnership. January we can push for Timber if the funds are available, and monitor some of the contracts winding down such as Kante.
Even with those 3 signings and ten Hag improving players, that's Europa League at very best, those midfield options are laughable. And you can forget about Greenwood ffs, shouldn't even need to question it.

worldinmotion66

Even with those 3 signings and ten Hag improving players, that's Europa League at very best, those midfield options are laughable. And you can forget about Greenwood ffs, shouldn't even need to question it.
I think you're underestimating the abilities of those midfielders. De Jong is disciplined and will play the deeper role, dropping between the centre backs and getting on the ball much like busquets does. He'd be the most progressive passer we've had since Carrick left. Both Fred and mctominay are decent in a pressing system and can cover a lot of ground, they just haven't been able to because we've not had a trustworthy holding player alongside them for so long. Sure, we'd like to upgrade them, but getting rid of players given our wage structure is difficult. I'm expecting to see better from every one of those midfielders and attackers.

Last season was an absolute catastrophe and both the club and players gave up on it half way through. I don't expect us to be competing at the very top yet but if anyone does, they're absolutely delusional. It'll take time to build a team good enough to challenge for trophies again.
I think you mean deligted.
Very good :lol:

TenOuttaTenHag

We won't have the funds Juve will require, they're quoting a world record fee for him

£45 million plus Werner?

We could put a smorgasbord of players together for them. Convince them they need replacements for their Frank Spencer of a player, that is Aaron Ramsey, who is leaving.

wire74

Really sorry to say but the midfield looks too lightweight, mctominay not good enough on the ball we need somebody to tackle break play up who has a presence to play alongside de jong , bissouma would of been perfect and a perfect price but he’s gone . The glazers are going to p#ss a lot of people off this window I think we have less cash than fans think . They can’t shift martial Hes on £250,000 a week who’s going to pay him that we are stuck with a lot of players we think we are going to off load so won’t be able to buy many.
Glazers out

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Really feels like there's a lot of people secretly hoping for some Greenwood redemption arc whilst trying to pretend they're not wankers. Gets mentioned in every single transfer thread, however irrelevant to the position. The lad wasn't even that good FFS, selfish cnut on and off the pitch far as you can make out. I'd far rather give some youngsters a go than bend over backwards for someone like him, even if he somehow did miraculously get off.

appleman

Supports
Atletico Madrid
Really feels like there's a lot of people secretly hoping for some Greenwood redemption arc whilst trying to pretend they're not wankers. Gets mentioned in every single transfer thread, however irrelevant to the position. The lad wasn't even that good FFS, selfish cnut on and off the pitch far as you can make out. I'd far rather give some youngsters a go than bend over backwards for someone like him, even if he somehow did miraculously get off.
To be honest, I thought he was a great talent and was excited to see how he would grow as a player. But there's enough great talents out there that we don't need to exempt someone who did what he did. No matter how good anyone is, if you do that shit, act that way and are a danger to people near you, it doesn't matter how well your foot matches balls and you will be rightly forgotten. If it turns out the accusations were false, of course it'd be different, but with those releases... I don't think it would be right to revalidate him into stardom.

(This makes me think of the Ronaldo accusations, though. Were they ever proven to be false? The buy-outs always seem so sketchy)

croadyman

Nope he is guilty and convinced of it

croadyman

Really sorry to say but the midfield looks too lightweight, mctominay not good enough on the ball we need somebody to tackle break play up who has a presence to play alongside de jong , bissouma would of been perfect and a perfect price but he’s gone . The glazers are going to p#ss a lot of people off this window I think we have less cash than fans think . They can’t shift martial Hes on £250,000 a week who’s going to pay him that we are stuck with a lot of players we think we are going to off load so won’t be able to buy many.
Glazers out
Thank you because some still can't see it

TheHeya

I would be De lighted if we get him. A long shot with the available funds we have and the list of CB’s still at the club. Maybe we have a chance next year for a free transfer with CL football secured and a strong ETH first season.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I don't dispute what seems obvious, his character. But as a player he was the most exciting thing to emerge from the academy in years and years and years. A supreme talent. The fact he's a wrong'un doesn't diminish that in the slightest. He saved Ole when he burst onto the scene and everyone else was faffing about. Had he been a relatively normal person I'd have been delighted with him as a wide forward for the next decade pretty easily. Was really the only player I'd have kept if there were wholesale changes.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
It's been said before but if it's true we should absolutely try swapping him with Varane plus 50 million cash.

BerryBerryShrew

Greenwood was (is?) a serious talent. I get that off the pitch stuff make it unpalatable to say, but there's no point in pretending that he didn't have the tools to be a genuine superstar.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
He was very good and easily the most promising talent we've produced in years, no need for revisionism.

worldinmotion66

I swear it's like people are watching a different game! How anyone can suggest greenwood isn't a serious talent, I don't know. The fack that he's an absolute bell end doesn't make him any less of a talent, and it won't stop him from having a career in football. We should've sacked him on the spot, but the fact that we haven't suggests we aren't willing to give up on him.

Regarding De Ligt, I can't see it being feasible with the fee juve are asking. They'll get £40m+ next summer.

phelans shorts

I swear it's like people are watching a different game! How anyone can suggest greenwood isn't a serious talent, I don't know. The fack that he's an absolute bell end doesn't make him any less of a talent, and it won't stop him from having a career in football. We should've sacked him on the spot, but the fact that we haven't suggests we aren't willing to give up on him
He legally couldn’t be sacked on the spot. It is due process in the UK to suspend anybody in such a position on full pay, then if they’re found guilty have their employment terminated and the money returned to you.

The club have given up on him, deservedly, and he should rot.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I swear it's like people are watching a different game! How anyone can suggest greenwood isn't a serious talent, I don't know. The fack that he's an absolute bell end doesn't make him any less of a talent, and it won't stop him from having a career in football. We should've sacked him on the spot, but the fact that we haven't suggests we aren't willing to give up on him.

Regarding De Ligt, I can't see it being feasible with the fee juve are asking. They'll get £40m+ next summer.
It doesn't even slightly suggest that.

Status
Not open for further replies.