Matthijs De Ligt

Status
Not open for further replies.

worldinmotion66

He legally couldn’t be sacked on the spot. It is due process in the UK to suspend anybody in such a position on full pay, then if they’re found guilty have their employment terminated and the money returned to you.

The club have given up on him, deservedly, and he should rot.
I'm quite sure a person can be fairly dismissed if there is reputational damage to the organisation and a trial date cannot be confirmed. But perhaps that damage can't be managed when it's such a public case. Either way, the club have kept very quiet about the entire situation, unless I've missed something?

phelans shorts

I'm quite sure a person can be fairly dismissed if there is reputational damage to the organisation and a trial date cannot be confirmed. But perhaps that damage can't be managed when it's such a public case. Either way, the club have kept very quiet about the entire situation, unless I've missed something?
You might be quite sure, but you’d be wrong. The club have made all the correct steps in distancing themselves from the scumbag.

Anyway, this thread isn’t about him. He isn’t worth the oxygen of being mentioned

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Greenwood was (is?) a serious talent. I get that off the pitch stuff make it unpalatable to say, but there's no point in pretending that he didn't have the tools to be a genuine superstar.
He was very good and easily the most promising talent we've produced in years, no need for revisionism.
Having talent doesn't make you good. If it did Pogba would be on his way to Real Madrid or wherever he was supposed to be going right now.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Really feels like there's a lot of people secretly hoping for some Greenwood redemption arc whilst trying to pretend they're not wankers. Gets mentioned in every single transfer thread, however irrelevant to the position. The lad wasn't even that good FFS, selfish cnut on and off the pitch far as you can make out. I'd far rather give some youngsters a go than bend over backwards for someone like him, even if he somehow did miraculously get off.
Greenwood was a phenomenal young player. Really sad he's turned out to be a lunatic but football wise he was special.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Swap with Varane…and have what De Ligt and Maguire? That’d be so slow and awkward it’d be laughable.
It would be but de ligt could possibly lock one of the slots for so many years to come, we just need to put up with that for some time and then replace harry.
Having talent doesn't make you good. If it did Pogba would be on his way to Real Madrid or wherever he was supposed to be going right now.
Well he certainly was good for his age.
Don't make me defend that bastard any more than I already have.

Keefy18

Greenwood was a phenomenal young player. Really sad he's turned out to be a lunatic but football wise he was special.
He looked great at one point but the last year to 18 months he started to look like a good player, not the truly great one we had hoped he'd become.

Perhaps a dip in form and of course he had time on his side to get back on track.

Anyway he's done for I reckon.

Unam333

It's been said before but if it's true we should absolutely try swapping him with Varane plus 50 million cash.
Between Maguire and Varane, I'd also pick Varane, unfortunately. Such a shame he's such a sicknote. But yeah, a swap + cash would be a very good deal for both us and Juve.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Between Maguire and Varane, I'd also pick Varane, unfortunately. Such a shame he's such a sicknote. But yeah, a swap + cash would be a very good deal for both us and Juve.
He seems to want Chelsea, so any swap involving a different team is hot air (for the time being)?

redshaw

Ten Hag putting the old band back together.

Would've thought he'd be out of our price range though this summer but maybe the club can do two key signings.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I doubt it. He will be too expensive for us to sign. Just journalist used our name again.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He looked great at one point but the last year to 18 months he started to look like a good player, not the truly great one we had hoped he'd become.

Perhaps a dip in form and of course he had time on his side to get back on track.

Anyway he's done for I reckon.
Genuine question- do you really expect young players to have a Messi like trajectory where they are phenomenal for 19 years continously ?

He is a kid and he will have off seasons. Footballing wise, he is & was still an exceptional player.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I agree. I'd be delighted if we could get De Ligt, De Jong and Eriksen, even if that was our entire budget.

Midfield: De Jong, Garner, Fred, McTominay, Van De Beek, Eriksen, Pereira

Attack: Ronaldo, Sancho, Rashford, Fernándes, Elanga, Garnacho, Mejbri, Amad, (Greenwood?)

Obviously there are major weaknesses and we'd be gambling on ten hag getting more from some of these players, but I think he will. De Ligt and Varane would be a fantastic defensive partnership. January we can push for Timber if the funds are available, and monitor some of the contracts winding down such as Kante.
Delete Greenwood as even a question

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Delete Greenwood as even a question
Your commitment against fighting sexual predators is seriously commendable :lol:
But yeah even if he's not convicted (doubt it considering the evidence) I doubt he's going to wear an United shirt ever again.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Anyway I wouldn't mind if we sacrifice some of our budget to get this kid , he has some serious potential and is already one of the best in business and ten hag seems to rate him so.

Maybe playing with 3 at the back is a possibility?

Keefy18

Genuine question- do you really expect young players to have a Messi like trajectory where they are phenomenal for 19 years continously ?

He is a kid and he will have off seasons. Footballing wise, he is & was still an exceptional player.
Why does it have to be Messi like?

There's a happy medium to be found. He could of slowly improved, but he didn't. There was quite a drop in form which I think most supporters voiced.

Then we had the off field carry on and look where he is now, finished.

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
Would like us to sign him but not at all costs. We need two CB’s, we can’t afford to spunk the equivalent of £100m on him (Werner AND £60m)

GregM40

Would be an incredible signing for us, gutted when he went to Juve. Him, FDJ and a CDM would improve our first XI massively.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I have a feeling the reason we've been hellbent on negotiating the FDJ fee down so much is that we're trying to save the cash for De Ligt. £54 Million upfront reported for FDJ (probably spread over at least a couple of years) would leave us with a nice chunk to go after Anthony and De Ligt.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

Hmm
Do we really have the fund? It seems Juventus would ask for alot money for him, probably not less than what we are going to pay for FDJ.

I think we will have to sell someone big to raise all the fund. Could be Bruno or someone who doesn't fit Ten Hag system but would attract many buyers.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I have a feeling the reason we've been hellbent on negotiating the FDJ fee down so much is that we're trying to save the cash for De Ligt. £54 Million upfront reported for FDJ (probably spread over at least a couple of years) would leave us with a nice chunk to go after Anthony and De Ligt.
Unfortunately I just don't see it, juve would probably want at least 80m euros for him and let's say we got de jong for another 80m euros.
That we be our budget gone.

Berbaclass

Unfortunately I just don't see it, juve would probably want at least 80m euros for him and let's say we got de jong for another 80m euros.
That we be our budget gone.
De Jong would cost £54 million initially according to reports. De Ligt for £68 million takes it to £120 million (spread over multiple seasons). Add in player sales it's not impossible we also get Antony.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Does Ten Hag play with a back 3? If not, where does de Ligt slot into your XI? I still find it completely unrealistic to assume a new manager is going to come in and instantly drop your £80m captain and cause a huge controversy from match week 1. And then you have Varane who should start every game when fit, yes?

You guys spending another £80m on a CB would be weird.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
De Jong would cost £54 million initially according to reports. De Ligt for £68 million takes it to £120 million (spread over multiple seasons). Add in player sales it's not impossible we also get Antony.
But then it leaves us still kinda lacking in midfield and with dreadful attacking options at rb which i think must be ten hag's priorities.

Shame none of our surplus players have any market value helping us mitigate some of our problems.

Still as unlikely as I find it I would still be very ecstatic if we start the season with them 3 only.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
His first season as a 18 year old kid was phenomenal. Not so much over last 2 season though (avg 1 goal every 4.2 games).

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Does Ten Hag play with a back 3? If not, where does de Ligt slot into your XI? I still find it completely unrealistic to assume a new manager is going to come in and instantly drop your £80m captain and cause a huge controversy from match week 1. And then you have Varane who should start every game when fit, yes?

That would we'd be looking to move out one of our cb's either harry or varane.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
But then it leaves us still kinda lacking in midfield and with dreadful attacking options at rb which i think must be ten hag's priorities.

Shame none of our surplus players have any market value helping us mitigate some of our problems.

Still as unlikely as I find it I would still be very ecstatic if we start the season with them 3 only.
Even if we only had de Jong and de Ligt would be happy with that.

They are two class players who solve a lot of problems for us imo, we were never going to fix everything in one window but those two as a foundation for moving forward would be good, not perfect, but I would be satisfied.

Berbaclass

We're not going to fix everything in one window.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

We will also get Eriksen for free. Fred would be our first choice DM next season, with Mctominay and Garner as backup.

DDG
Dalot Varane De Ligt Shaw
Fred FDJ
Antony Eriksen/Bruno Sancho
Ronaldo
120m budget

FDJ - 54m (+15m add on)
Eriksen - free
De Ligt - 58m (+15m add on)

all cash spent
Since we've bought De Light, we could then sell Maguire for 35m (+5m add on) to raise some funds, and together with 8m cash raised from Pereira sale, we may just have enough funds for another go for Antony for 45m (+15m add on)

Last edited:

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv

It's why I wouldn't be surprised to see it offset by a current CB going the other way, Juve would want a replacement so if they can effectively secure one while losing one then I can see them going for it.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Even if we only had de Jong and de Ligt would be happy with that.

They are two class players who solve a lot of problems for us imo, we were never going to fix everything in one window but those two as a foundation for moving forward would be good, not perfect, but I would be satisfied.
Obviously two class players who have the potential to become the very best of their generation (im not exaggerating) but even then our state is a bit concerning, im imagining top 4 to be our priority for next season and unless some of our players find their form like Rashford our options up front and in other areas leaves too much to be desired with the added danger of us failing to get back to champions league.

Status
Not open for further replies.