Maurice Setters RIP

Fitchett

Another post Munich stalwart, Maurice Setters, died on Sunday, aged 83. He was a tough tackling half back, who lost his regular team place to Nobby Stiles in 1964. He was an F.A. Cup winner in 1963. Later, he was assistant manager to Jack Charlton, for the Republic of Ireland team.

I watched my first game at Old Trafford on 23 November 1963. Sadly, four United players from that match have passed away this year - Harry Gregg, then Tony Dunne, more recently Albert Quixall and now Maurice Setters.

RIP Maurice Setters.

Last edited:

Maticmaker

Another post Munich unsung hero for United. Tough tackling, Maurice put the wind up the pretty boy inside forwards, but could also pass a ball superbly. An ex-WBA player, remember him clashing with Derek ('the tank') Kevan not long after Setters had joined United from West Brom. The game was at OT and from the start Kevan, aware of Maurice's reputation tried reversed psychology by trying to kick the proverbially out of Maurice, 'getting his retaliation in first', but Setters kept his cool right up until the last five minutes. The game was virtually over United winning 3-1 and in one passage of play where everyone was watching the ball he straight-armed Kevan and 'the tank was busted. None of the officials saw what happened and Maurice got away with it...today with VAR no chance, would be five match suspension!

Thanks for the memories Mo.
RIP

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Ironically I watched the whole of the 1963 cup final a few days ago, and it brought so many memories back.
Maurice played as a wing half, the hard man who would form the more defensive part of the midfield, dropping back alongside or covering Billy Foulkes. I was surprised how good his passing was to be honest, I had him down as a no nonsense, kick em all type of player, (which he undoubtedly was) but he also had skills that I hadn't remembered.
For those interested, United finished one place above the relegation zone that season, and in that team you had Dunne, Foulkes, Crerand, Quixall, Charlton (who played left wing), Giles (who played right wing), Herd and Law.
It was pleasing also to hear both managers and captain's talking after the game, and all were quite praiseworthy of their opponents, and sincere, not sure you get too much of that nowadays.

RIP Maurice.

poleglass red

sad to hear, on top of what he did for us, the joy him and big Jack brought to Irish football will never be forgotten......

Red00012

Never realised until last night he played for us. Always remember him from the Jack Charlton era with Ireland

lsd

The Oracle
Never realised until last night he played for us. Always remember him from the Jack Charlton era with Ireland

Not surprisingly I recall Roy Keane and him having a training ground row during those days with Charlton having to deny they came to blows

poleglass red

Not surprisingly I recall Roy Keane and him having a training ground row during those days with Charlton having to deny they came to blows
bit more to that story, big Jack wasn't even at that training session, i think that "row" diverted attention on why the manager wasn't present at a session days before biggest game for Ireland in yrs ie Italy. The actual argument was between Setters and Townsend who as captain led the players off the pitch upset with being run into the ground in extreme heat in Florida.

Fitchett

That sounds like a similar scenario for England at the 1986 World Cup in Mexico. England were sluggish as they lost their first game of that World Cup. I remember that a watching Sir Bobby Charlton saying that he couldn't believe that the then manager, Sir Bobby Robson, had his players playing a 90 minutes practice match in searing heat the day before the match.