Maurizio Sarri's Sack Watch | And Now Our Watch Has Ended

Slops

has Adobe Premiere and too much time on his hands
Did he do a post-match interview yet?
That's what I'm here for :lol:

My stream cut off before speaking to any managers.

Suspect he spent a fair amount of time holed up with his team in the dressing room.

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
Van Gaal didn't think so. Litmanen excelled playing position play in the forward pointing middle three.

People act like Sarri reinvented the wheel. His tactics are sophisticated but not revolutionary. Now he's looking like he's lost the dressing room too.
I was talking in terms of playing 3 'midfielders'. We played a 31213 under Lois van Gaal do we had a 6. I watched almost all our games live under both Johan Cruijff and Louis van Gaal at the de meer so I know how we played.

Hazard Warning

Supports
Chelsea
Bad loser there, I'm not sure if they have any history but come on you've got to shake the other managers hand.
They get on famously, I think Sarri was just super mad and didn’t see anyone in his red mist of rage. Wanted to get in the dressing room go tear it apart as soon as possible in my opinion.

Rish Sawhney

No it's not, help me out
Eh, earlier Van Gaal was better than the Van Gaal we had.

I don't hate possession based strategies per say, it's good to see your team 'in control', and there's nothing quite like a perfectly organised and balanced possession based team in full flow.

A lot of criticisms come from the worst of possession based football. A lot of time under Van Gaal we passed sideways and backwards indefinitely for entire matches, having the ball for the sake of the ball while offering nothing ourselves. It was deathly boring and not effective at all especially considering the players at our disposal.

Meanwhile you get teams like Pep's Barce.

It's one of those 'all or nothing' things. Possession based football is either beautiful or dull as dish water.

Generally I liked Van Gaal and have no ill feelings towards him. He has a clear defined strategy that he implemented, but he should have developed it beyond what he did rather than just let it linger as stale as it was. He got the players to play a base level possession game, now develop that to a progressive possession based game. And he was quite stubborn with some things for example 'my captain always plays' etc.

Right man but with his flaws, wrong time.
Also think its because Man United fans have actually seen good counter attacking football here instead of just one man's version of it. Also (snd I mostly speak for myself here), its more about what ther style means to the coach. I'm personally over the whole "this coach has a philosophy of playing and its either his way or the highway" bs. Coaches also have to be able to alter what they ask from a team depending on the qualities of players already there.

Like Sarri at Chelsea for example. Why not change the point of your playmaking instead of making one of your most talented players (Kante) completely change his role?

Last edited:

Dion

We've now made up the 21GD advantage Chelsea had when Ole took over and are currently 1 ahead.

cyberman

Neville chating shit saying Pep never changed his approach during his first year here.
He literally said himself he did.
Its just excuses for Sarri, why does Gary do this? (When it isn't Arsenal?)
He's also saying teams these days don't have a plan b..I mean..

Habs

Neville chating shit saying Pep never changed his approach during his first year here.
He does this often. During the game he also mentioned how it's no good when two players are competing for the same spot and not finishing games (Kovacic/Barkley) as it shows a lack of confidence by the manager, but when Martial and Rashford were competing for that left wing spot under Mourinho's first season and doing well, he said the complete opposite!

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Am I correct in that the City defeat is the worst defeat that Chelsea have suffered in the PL and the Bournemouth defeat 11 days ago is their 2nd worst defeat in PL history?

Dion

Chelsea conceding 10 goals in their last 2 away games sure helps. :lol:
It's certainly not done any harm :lol: Although we have had the best defence and second best attack (23 vs City's 24) in that period too!

MAME DIOUF 32

If you're Abramovic, do you hand the guy who's just been smashed 6-0 a couple of hundred million to buy some players who better fit his system?

He's in a Mourinho at United position now. He can't get anything out of an expensively-assembled squad and Chelsea have to either back him or sack him.

I just ignore him.
You'd thought he would've learnt something with his short stint in management and coaching but it seems his views really are rather simplistic.
'teams these days dont have a plan B' no,Gary. Teams have,past and present,had many more than just the one differing approach in winning matches or closing games out .Pep is a perfect recent example of a manager who has great versatility in applying various approaches to games. Whether that be with a whole new formational change or one simply giving certain individuals differing roles.

The more I listen to pundits who do have their coaching badges the more i'm inclined to think those badges were easy to come by if you have the wealth to buy into those courses because some of these guys talk in such simplistic terms when commentating on football and sport.

Red Devil Rising

Never seen such a stubborn manager in a long time, that takes some doing with Mourinho around.

At least with Mourinho, he can point to the body of work over the course of it career and show what he's won.

Sarri has not won a single thing with his magical "Sarriball" so why he is so willing to live and die by something that clearly has not been good enough I don't know

Canagel

If you're Abramovic, do you hand the guy who's just been smashed 6-0 a couple of hundred million to buy some players who better fit his system?

He's in a Mourinho at United position now. He can't get anything out of an expensively-assembled squad and Chelsea have to either back him or sack him.
What?
Mourinho assembled the squad here. 8-9 of his players.
Hardly the same for Sarri. The squad has some good names on paper but there's the majority ill suited to play his style. The club needs a DOF and major clearout of dross anyways so I think it's bigger than Sarri.

Last edited:

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Imagine Mou snatching fourth with Chelsea after fecking up our season:mad:
On the other hand... imagine him rocking up to Anfield and putting the scouse title challenge to bed again :drool:

It isn't too late for the man to make himself a United legend.

lysglimt

Scout
Am I correct in that the City defeat is the worst defeat that Chelsea have suffered in the PL and the Bournemouth defeat 11 days ago is their 2nd worst defeat in PL history?
Correct you are. If City had scored one more goal - it would have been their worst defeat ever (1-8 against Wolves in 1953)

Wilt

I’d be surprised if Mourinho had not been tied down by Utd to prevent him managing in the prem, for this season at least.

Zinedine Zidane?

Wayne's World

He's a dead man walking....

Can't see Roman not giving him the booth If these performances continue, something is seriously wrong with either the staff, coaches or something behind the scenes with the board.

Guy Incognito

Chelsea isn't any ordinary club though.

Unlike Guardiola, Sarri doesn't have a track record for winning trophies. He isn't going to blood youngsters into the first eleven so there isn't any point sticking to his "philosophy".

Cloud7

This is a nice, classy message from Pep. You just know the media were probably aching for him to say something to stoke this fire and turn it into some kind of narrative. Very well handled by him.

Alabaster Codify7

He's done isn't he. So glad we didn't go for him. LVG all over again, would have been too much to take.

Atrocious effort today by the players and his tactics were ripped apart. They took twice the battering we did under Jose, which is hard to believe. Long may this continue, Arsenal's top 4 'challenge' is an illusion, lets hope Chelsea keep falling behind.

haram

Unlike Guardiola, Sarri doesn't have a track record for winning trophies. He isn't going to blood youngsters into the first eleven so there isn't any point sticking to his "philosophy".
Yes there is a point. Why hire him in the first place then?

Canagel

Guardiola managed better teams than Sarri. That explaine the trophies difference.
Their philosophies and idea of football however is similar. Empoli and Napoli complety different to managing Barcelona and Bayern Munich. Napoli sold their best player to their main rivals (higuain) so sarri utulized mertens as a false 9.
Would bayern Munich sell their best player to Dortmund? Infact it's the opposite- they cherrypick the best talents in the league every year.