Maurizio Sarri's Sack Watch | And Now Our Watch Has Ended

Pagh Wraith

Sacking Sarri for Lampard would be madness. From what I've seen Lampard seems to be a good motivator and has the players playing for him but that's about it. Derby were outclassed in most big games this season and have also massively outperformed their underlying stats (19th in big chances created in the Championship) and are quite fortunate to have reached the play-off final. There is nothing to suggest he is ready to take over Chelsea at this point.

Unless Sarri wants out there is little reason to replace him considering they hired him to try a new style and the fact he has met his objectives by finishing third and reaching two cup finals. There is one other variable though, and that is Allegri. I regard him as one of the top-tier managers in Europe and should there even be a remote chance of him coming to Chelsea the club should seriously consider it.

Kapardin

The only reason Sarri lasted during that rough patch was because Roman no longer wants to pay off managers. Makes sense that they want Juve to take him off their hands, or they are stuck with him. Final league position and maybe a trophy isn't too bad , but it seems more like LvG's first season when something didn't quite feel right despite okayish results.

But appointing Lampard would be worse of course. Either they should try for Allegri or hang on to Sarri.

MalBot

Supports
Arsenal
A third place and reaching two cup finals in his first season. This achieved while not being there untill late pre-season thus not even having much time to implement his tactics in training. Just looking at that it is crazy to think Sarri should get anything but praise as that is better than anyone expected at the beginning of the season.

However if you look deeper you realise why there is dissatisfaction with him. Unfortunately for Sarri the fact that Chelsea started the season so well, thrashing teams and looking like a genuine title challenger has gone against him. People's expectations were raised, especially Chelsea fans who couldn't help but wonder if he was going to be like Conte, and win the title in his first season.

Fans like to think progress is linear. If the results were reversed and Chelsea struggled early on but gradually got better he would have got much more credit. As people would think he finally managed to impose his style on the team and they would be much more optimistic for the future. However now they are less optimistic for the future and think the decline will continue.

Sarri didn't help himself by being so unwilling to tweak his style no matter what was happening. You might get away with playing Kante out of position or not starting Loftus-Cheek if you keep winning. But when the results started to get bad he seemed helpless. I think he lost most of the fans confidence when Chelsea lost 4-0 to Bournemouth and then the next away game 6-0 to City. The Kepa fiasco further undermined him. Chelsea fans aren't used to regular humiliations like that. He was forced to play RLC and CHO and the results picked up, but again that didnt help Sarri cos the fans were shouting for those two players to play all season.

I think Sarri should leave. He is being put under too much pressure by Abramovich and the fans. He gets booed whenever he subs players nowadays, that isn't a healthy environment for him to continue. Also he is a manager that needs time to train and buy players that fit his system. That takes time. Which is always in short supply at Stamford Bridge.

Last edited:

Welby5

Supports
Chelsea
A massive no to Allegri coming to Chelsea! I'd rather watch under water Chess than any more of that tedious, safety first, pragmatic football. He can bore off and stay in Italy!

M Bison

Supports
York City
Talk of Lampard replacing him if true, surely a big club wouldn’t let sentimentality get in the way when appointing a manager.

dove

Talk of Lampard replacing him if true, surely a big club wouldn’t let sentimentality get in the way when appointing a manager.
Yea, Chelsea seem to be determined not to fall behind us in terms of making stupid decisions in recent years.

redshaw

Should make it easier for us next season if we can be up there. Thought Sarri did a good job.

Good for Italian football to have Sarri at Juve and Conte at Inter

Mike Smalling

Pretty succesful season in the end for Sarri, given the quality of their squad. It looked like he had messed it up by forcing players into his system and then losing the dressing room, but a top 3 finish and a trophy is about as good as they could have asked for back in august.

Wouldn't blame him at all for leaving that circus.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
No compensation according to some Italian reports so my guess is either a) he has waived his right to the payoff by asking to leave which can be taken as a resignation or b) he has been sacked (mutual consent) and therefore Juve can take him for sweet FA, but the public statement will make out Juve have poached him

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If he leaves now he's a very smart man.
Leaves of his own accord as a Chelsea manager! Who was their last guy to do that!!
Won a trophy too so can spin that he was a success.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Where's that Not Sure if Serious meme when you need it?

Canagel

Good for him and us. One less good manager to compete against us. Hopefully Chelsea is stupid enough to bring Lampard and doesn't get Allegri.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If he leaves now he's a very smart man.
Leaves of his own accord as a Chelsea manager! Who was their last guy to do that!!
Won a trophy too so can spin that he was a success.
I agree. Also, no spin required, he was a success, all things considered.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
We won the Champions League the last time we did it!
Yeah, only thing missing is sacking ex Porto manager who won treble.

Jose to Chelsea, sacked in Jan and then Lampard to take over as care taker manager with Terry and Jody Morris as assistants.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
:lol::lol::lol:
Good luck with getting Pep...

Anyway, I would be fuming if we let Sarri go wirhout a proper compensation. I would like him to stay.
Lamps might be good, but Derby's defensive formation was diabolical at times. You can not play like that in the Premier League. He needs at least another year.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Sarri has obviously not clicked with the players, fans or seemingly (and most importantly) the board. It's a shame if he goes but not a massive one.

Lampard & Morris would obviously be a huge gamble but it's one I would take if Sarri does decide to go to Juve (and why wouldn't he, Chelsea are not winning the Premier League anytime soon whereas Serie A is the SPL with better food).

crossy1686

career ending
Sarri has obviously not clicked with the players, fans or seemingly (and most importantly) the board. It's a shame if he goes but not a massive one.

Lampard & Morris would obviously be a huge gamble but it's one I would take if Sarri does decide to go to Juve (and why wouldn't he, Chelsea are not winning the Premier League anytime soon whereas Serie A is the SPL with better food).
I did have a chuckle when he won the EL as he seemed on a proper wind up dedicating the win to the Napoli fans, not the Chelsea fans that had travelled 3 days and spent god knows how much to be there. Personally think you lot will go with Lampard as his demands will be relatively low, especially with a transfer ban in place.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I did have a chuckle when he won the EL as he seemed on a proper wind up dedicating the win to the Napoli fans, not the Chelsea fans that had travelled 3 days and spent god knows how much to be there. Personally think you lot will go with Lampard as his demands will be relatively low, especially with a transfer ban in place.
Just think, with Lampard he won’t need to use loanees, just get all the loanees back and use them instead....job done!

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
If anyone if going to give the Chelsea academy players a chance, it's Lampard & Morris (who was Chelsea youth coach for years until last season).
Funny when it’s put around that Ole should do the same, he’s castigated and the implied that it will be a total failure.

Do young managers stand a chance at big clubs?

Canagel

Why does he have to dedicate to fans that abused him, told him to feck off and booes his subs?

Last edited:

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Funny when it’s put around that Ole should do the same, he’s castigated and the implied that it will be a total failure.

Do young managers stand a chance at big clubs?
There will be plenty who say that Lampard would fail and they might be right. He certainly won't be immune to criticism.

Having said that, any Chelsea fan who slates Lampard for giving it a go is a total arsehole who does not support the club in the same way I do. Football without sentiment would be completely uninteresting to me. Not saying I'm better than them (but lets be honest, I am). Same for Man United fans with OGS.

crossy1686

career ending
Why does he have to dedicate to fans that abused him, told him to feck off and booes his subs?
He doesn’t, but he also doesn’t have to dedicate a trophy win to his old club. Imagine Jose did that? “I dedicate this EL trophy to the Chelsea fans”.

fecking uproar

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He doesn’t, but he also doesn’t have to dedicate a trophy win to his old club. Imagine Jose did that? “I dedicate this EL trophy to the Chelsea fans”.

fecking uproar
If United fans chanted "feck Joseball" or something along them lines I could imagine he would do a lot worse than dedicate a cup win to a former club.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
There will be plenty who say that Lampard would fail and they might be right. He certainly won't be immune to criticism.

Having said that, any Chelsea fan who slates Lampard for giving it a go is a total arsehole who does not support the club in the same way I do. Football without sentiment would be completely uninteresting to me. Not saying I'm better than them (but lets be honest, I am). Same for Man United fans with OGS.
I second this true blue sentiment.

MsNuno

Supports
Wolves
Frank lampards Chelsea has a ring to it.
Derby county can become just derby county again.

Last edited by a moderator: