Max Aarons

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
If I was Laird and I saw us signing Aarons I’d be looking for a way out while my stock was highish after the loan. Maybe even Norwich would give him a shot. He’s just got to stay fit. I think he could definitely be as good as Aarons but it doesn’t sound like we are going to use him next season. Our plan for him is probably championship loan and hope he can stay fit which is fair enough from our perspective but maybe not from his.

Last edited:

Pickle85

Is it just me that always feels a little bad when newly promoted teams get raided for their best players before their season in the PL begins? Nature of the game, I know, but I do feel for them.

flappyjay

If I was Laird and I saw us signing Aarons I’d be looking for a way out while my stock was highish after the loan. Maybe even Norwich would give him a shot. He’s just got to stay fit. I think he could definitely be as good as Aarons but it doesn’t sound like we are going to use him next season. Our plan for him is probably championship loan and hope he can stay fit which is fair enough from our perspective but maybe not from his.
Yeah I am quite disappointed that we don't see him as AWB cover.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Honestly I think we are going for Trippier (and the likes of Telles) because they’ll be happy with 25 games a season and a big wage. They’ve already made it. It probably makes no sense for a young lad like Laird to be stuck on the bench all season on smallish money. Not developing and not enhancing his reputation in case he needs to look elsewhere down the line. Best thing for players like Aarons and Laird is to play every game and become the kind of player a big club eventually brings in as a starter. So that’s why it makes no sense for me to go for Aarons either unless he’s just class in attack and we feel we made a mistake on AWB. I can genuinely see AWB going into beast mode with a bit of rotation and a solid partner out on the right. I’m fairly sure he got more g/a than Shaw last year while being our only option for pretty much the whole season. He’ll be fine.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I think he needs another season on loan... personally I'd be happy to bring dalot back for a year and let laird and Williams go on loan next year

Laird looks a great prospect for me but to develop he needs games next season not sitting on the bench (imo)

Kaos

Is it just me that always feels a little bad when newly promoted teams get raided for their best players before their season in the PL begins? Nature of the game, I know, but I do feel for them.
It is a little unfortunate, but assuming the selling club could garner a sizeable fee for their player, it can be good for them, especially if it bolsters their transfer budget to sign more players.

Pickle85

It is a little unfortunate, but assuming the selling club could garner a sizeable fee for their player, it can be good for them, especially if it bolsters their transfer budget to sign more players.
Very true, actually.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Our scouts does know that they are plenty of right backs other than English, right?

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
A bit strange as the two players' profile are quite different. Granted I haven't seen too much of max but he doesn't appear to be in the same mould as Trips nor are they in a similar age bracket. This makes me wonder what the strategy is here...

Gordon S

A bit strange as the two players' profile are quite different. Granted I haven't seen too much of max but he doesn't appear to be in the same mould as Trips nor are they in a similar age bracket. This makes me wonder what the strategy is here...
Both are natural, right footed rightbacks with an above average ability on the ball and a decent cross. Both could add something more/different to our game compared to AWB. What would you say is the difference between them?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Both are natural, right footed rightbacks with an above average ability on the ball and a decent cross. Both could add something more/different to our game compared to AWB. What would you say is the difference between them?
Aarons is much more mobile, so he’s useful as an outlet when he makes those surging runs and can also create space for others. He’s also better at dribbling when he’s got the ball at feet and can take his man on. Trippier IMO has got much better delivery, he’s not got the same ability to get up and down at speed, but he contributes a lot with his crossing.

I agree with you that they’re both better on the ball than average and that both offer something, I think either one would be a good acquisition considering how many games AWB had to play last season, it was lucky he didn’t pick up an injury considering how little depth your lot have there.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
If he signed he'd be first choice within a year.

Idxomer

I like AWB and think he has improved his attacking game a lot but Aarons would be perfect behind Sancho.

Abraxas

This one seems to have reared its head over a few windows now. Reading between the lines I would assume he's been somebody we've been following for some time but maybe second or third choice.

To me this makes more sense than Trippier if he's a more attacking player than AWB. I've not seen enough but I would assume that's the logic. I would far rather have a player that is of this profile because the truth is we don't know for sure that AWB is our man. This seems like a guy that can come in and genuinely compete for a long-term role, not a two season wonder.

Oldyella

Feels weird jumping from Trippier to this guy. Very different ends of their careers.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I mean, if Trippier is deemed too expensive, what are we expecting Norwich to price Aarons at?

It’d also be pretty weird to have a 23 year old and 21 year old battling at RB. Trippier makes a lot more sense on paper, I don’t think Aarons does too much.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Aarons is faster, more nimble, can take on a man, runs the length of the pitch more. Trips has better delivery, better defensively etc. I thought Trips was coming in to ease burden on AWB. Aarons being similar age will be direct competition for AWB, which is a different strategy altogether.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I mean, if Trippier is deemed too expensive, what are we expecting Norwich to price Aarons at?

It’d also be pretty weird to have a 23 year old and 21 year old battling at RB. Trippier makes a lot more sense on paper, I don’t think Aarons does too much.
Trippier will be 31 at the beginning of the season, so I think it's more to do with value for money, as opposed to how much we spend.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Aarons is faster, more nimble, can take on a man, runs the length of the pitch more. Trips has better delivery, better defensively etc. I thought Trips was coming in to ease burden on AWB. Aarons being similar age will be direct competition for AWB, which is a different strategy altogether.
Given Trippier just won the league with Atletico and is currently ahead of AWB in the pecking order for England, I suspect he'd arrive expecting to compete with AWB here too.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Given Trippier just won the league with Atletico and is currently ahead of AWB in the pecking order for England, I suspect he'd arrive expecting to compete with AWB here too.
For a few years yes. Look at the age difference. They'll compete and eventually AWB will take the mantle on whilst we develop Laird... The landscape is very different if we sign Max.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Do not want without giving Laird a chance first

Judas

Open to offers
Bit baffled by this. I like him, but its a weird jump from Trippier to him. I don't want to do the old give Laird a chance!!!! post but it seems justified if we're thinking of buying a young player for that position. Plus Norwich aren't handing him over for a few pennies.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
There was an article about how Trippier had been put to a 30-40m transfer fee.

I think Ole would have preferred Trippier because he is a player with experience - yet if he is going to cost that much then they would probably look at Aaron’s because he seems like a talented player that hasn’t been picked up for 2+ years now. It makes sense to me because Aaron’s transfer fee was being quoted at 30-40m too. If both are around the same price then Aaron’s is the more sensible transfer.

SAFMUTD

For immediate impact there's no doubt Trippier is a better choice but to pay 40M for a right back who'll be 31 at the beginning of the season would be madness.

Max Aarons is a good back up and has potential to take over AWB if he doesn't improves. I'm all in for this.

hobbers

If Atletico are demanding more than £30m for Trippier, and Aarons is priced at £30-40m, it's a no brainer who to go for.

Blood Mage

Looks like we're in the market for a new RB then. It's obvious Ole is dissatisfied with AWB's attacking output and who can blame him?

Idxomer

Looks like we're in the market for a new RB then. It's obvious Ole is dissatisfied with AWB's attacking output and who can blame him?
He was his choice. If he's dissatisfied, he's the man to blame.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Backup RB should be far down the budget in terms of what needs done
RW - tick
CB - work in progress
CM - work in progress

id personally have 2 cm before a RB

Jezpeza

Like him but no way we are buying him. There is a rhetoric from certain fans that AWB has no ‘attacking output’ but his 2 goals and 4 assists put him as one of the highest in the league in that regard for a rb. The press have seized the rhetoric to create clickbait. Dalot has returned from loan and Brandon williams played at back up right back last year after we signed Telles. Just cant see us investing there with so many other positions to shop for

Number32

I've never seen Laird having a great game once in the man's game like he did with our youth team. Ffs he was playing in league one, but had more yellow cards (5) than any other stats. He could be another Larnell Cole or Ravel Morrison.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Backup RB
Very confident Trippier would not be backup. And he would improve us by more than Rice, Camavinga or whoever. Maybe even Varane (who appears to be very overrated in here).

Max Aarons? Really not sure. If he is not good enough to put AWB on the bench I agree it should not be a priority.

Dante

Average bang
There were two main issues at United last season:
  1. conceding from set pieces
  2. creativity in the middle third
I think a 4-2-3-1 with two defensive minded midfielders (McFred) is Ole's preferred setup. It allows the two CBs to carry the ball into midfield (which is clearly one of their strengths), it gives Bruno the security to play low percentage passes, and it affords the fullbacks lots of freedom to push up and get touches in the middle third.

With all of that in mind, our transfer strategy makes perfect sense. I think Ole is looking at an evolution rather than a revolution, ie. better versions of the players that are already here.

Varane and Camavinga would help with problem (1) by taking the places of Lindelof and Fred.

For problem (2), I get what everyone is saying about wanting a DLP. But as I said, I don't think Ole wants to completely change the way we play. Instead, I get the sense he wants a playmaker at rightback who does the same things as Luke Shaw on the other side of the pitch. It's similar to Bayern's setup in the Lahm era or Liverpool's setup of the last few years. And just like Liverpool, we don't necessarily want to bring in a Thiago to upset the balance. That's why a a better passing replacement for AWB would come in super useful.

For my money, it's misleading to look solely at AWB's Assists stat and calling him good at attacking. Assists are nice to have, but not massively relevant when the absolute numbers are so low and not always the result of creativity or penetrative passing. What we really need is a rightback with good Progressive Passing. Check out the difference in Progressing Passes and Progressive Passes Received between Shaw and AWB. That's the difference we need to bridge in order for us to be more dangerous and less predictable in the middle third.

Having looked at the equivalent stats for both Max Aarons and Kieran Trippier, I can see why the Trippier is on United's radar. Aarons doesn't seem to have the same playing style, which makes me think that the new leaks about him are more of negotiating tactic to encourage Atletico to lower their asking price.

I'd be very surprised if anything came of the Aarons links. I reckon it'll either be Trippier or a recall for Laird.

Last edited:

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Not convinced he'd be worth the money, the point of having a RB challenge AWB is that he really shouldn't be costing a great deal. Hence the Laird calls, although I don't think he's ready just yet, I'd rather give him a whirl over spending big on Aaron's.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The one thing that shows — Luke Shaw is a fecking monster, man. Imagine having a RB of equal quality