Max Aarons

Dazzmondo

Evra wouldn’t be all that according to those stats...
Based on what exactly? I'm not looking at goals or assists which are pretty irrelevant for a full back. I'm looking at tackles, interceptions, key passes, pass percentages, etc. Evra in his prime would excel in all but probably key passes.

Rossa

Based on what exactly? I'm not looking at goals or assists which are pretty irrelevant for a full back. I'm looking at tackles, interceptions, key passes, pass percentages, etc. Evra in his prime would excel in all but probably key passes.
Fair enough, but I still think it’s quite one dimensional looking at stats to reach a conclusion on a player whom you have not watched.

Dazzmondo

Fair enough, but I still think it’s quite one dimensional looking at stats to reach a conclusion on a player whom you have not watched.
I have also seen him play in the Prem the season before where he was absolutely terrible

red thru&thru

I agree but Aarons is better than Brandon currently. The smart move would be to let him go on loan for a couple of years where he’ll get game time, especially because I don’t think any of us (and I have a hint including Ole) are that convinced by AWB. That gives us a chance to assess our options when all have had plenty of first team football
Agreed. Brandon needs game time.

red thru&thru

Cannot understand why he isn't AWB's understudy, yet again tonight he has failed to make even the bench
I believe he's going out on loan. Makes sense to be fair.

As per AWB back up, reckon Ole thinks Axel can fill that void up until the end of the season...or up until we can get someone like Aarons.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
They were talking about £20m in the summer when Bayern and Barca were looking at him.
That's speculative Daniel James money. I doubt he's 60% worse than AWB. I suspect he'd end up playing more games than AWB.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If we get Aarons, I don't see a future for Brandon at the club.

Hopefully I'm wrong.
Brandon could go on loan for few years though, too early to write him off. Danny Rose went on loan multiple years until he’s 23 when he started to become Spurs regular left back.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
How many assists and goals did Andy Robertson have at the same age as Aarons?

I personally trust the judgment of the scouts and feel a player like Aarons would improve our build up and provide width, which would see us create more chances as a team. And that for me is the most important thing in transition. The goals and assists will also come because he's still so young.

croadyman

I believe he's going out on loan. Makes sense to be fair.

As per AWB back up, reckon Ole thinks Axel can fill that void up until the end of the season...or up until we can get someone like Aarons.
Only issue with that is what happens if we suddenly need some cover at CB because as I have said many times Bailly's injury history worries me and could be left short in that area

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
How many assists and goals did Andy Robertson have at the same age as Aarons?

I personally trust the judgment of the scouts and feel a player like Aarons would improve our build up and provide width, which would see us create more chances as a team. And that for me is the most important thing in transition. The goals and assists will also come because he's still so young.
Having great assists number from crossing ain’t do shit anyway if no one will be in the box to receive the ball. Whenever I watched Max Aarons, he reminds me of Reguilon. Has pace, comfortable in possession and can dribble. Those are his primary assets which to me something we need at the moment. It will improve us and offer something that Bissaka is lacking, it’s suitable for tactical change and rotation with Bissaka depends on the opposition.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Our rejects would be the best players in the Championship
If you really think Jones or TFM is going to replace what Aarons is doing for Norwich, then either you have no idea how Norwich plays or how TFM or Jones play.

cyberman

If you really think Jones or TFM is going to replace what Aarons is doing for Norwich, then either you have no idea how Norwich plays or how TFM or Jones play.
Yes, they would in their own way. May not be as good but they immediately become elite Championship players ffs

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Having great assists number from crossing ain’t do shit anyway if no one will be in the box to receive the ball. Whenever I watched Max Aarons, he reminds me of Reguilon. Has pace, comfortable in possession and can dribble. Those are his primary assets which to me something we need at the moment. It will improve us and offer something that Bissaka is lacking, it’s suitable for tactical change and rotation with Bissaka depends on the opposition.
I agree..

It's about functioning as a team in transition and his touch, technique and know how looks very very good in that regard and will give us another very good option.

Houdini

Would be a good attacking option on the right like Telles on the left. AWB for big games and Aarons against lesser teams.

Ekeke

He has 1 goal and 0 assists in 23 games for Norwich in the championship. 0 goals and 1 assist in 36 matches in the premier league

AWB has 1 goal and 1 assist in 14 games in the premier league this season

Aarons has better technique, but if you think he's a really good attacking rightback you'll be dissappointed. He flatters to deceive and is mostly just pace and no end product. More of a Kyle Walker than anything

rotherham_red

He has 1 goal and 0 assists in 23 games for Norwich in the championship. 0 goals and 1 assist in 36 matches in the premier league

AWB has 1 goal and 1 assist in 14 games in the premier league this season

Aarons has better technique, but if you think he's a really good attacking rightback you'll be dissappointed. He flatters to deceive and is mostly just pace and no end product. More of a Kyle Walker than anything
I'm not too concerned re his output. He'll be a squad player in the grand scheme of things, so it's more his profile that's attractive than anything else.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Aarons has better technique, but if you think he's a really good attacking rightback you'll be dissappointed.
Only if their definition of being an attacking fullback is the same as yours, and they measure it in goals and assists.

I would love to have a right fullback who;

- Was not a trigger point against teams that press,
- That would help our build up play, not hurt it,
- Who would help our play progress faster and better,

Paul Scholes did not have many goals or assists at the end, but our play ticked in a different way than without him. It was way more fluid. A right back will, of course, never have the same impact. But they could still have a huge impact.

Trent and Robertson on average progress the ball 730 and 618 yards, respectively, on average per 90 min in the PL. Cancelo 542 yards. Digne 492 yards. AWB is at 363 yards. I get that he does not have the same numbers as Liverpool og Man City fullbacks. These players are in teams where they are on the ball more, and that will always inflate their numbers. But their is a natural limitation to AWBs game too. I mean, Shaw is at 518 yards per 90 min. Telles is at 595 yards.

I do think that Max Aarons with his on the ball-ability and distribution of the ball could come close to some of the best fullbacks. At a good team. I think that is why Bayern and Barcelona show interest in him. (They probably knew that his end product was not very good.)

Last edited:

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Trent and Robertson on average progress the ball 730 and 618 yards, respectively, on average per 90 min in the PL. Cancelo 542 yards. Digne 492 yards. AWB 363 yards.
Do you have those number for Luke Shaw? He seems to like to move the ball up field, much like Valencia used to do.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Only if their definition of being an attacking fullback is the same as yours, and they measure it in goals and assists.

I would love to have a right fullback who;

- Was not a trigger point against teams that press,
- That would help our build up play, not hurt it,
- Who would help our play progress faster and better,

Paul Scholes did not have many goals or assists at the end, but our play ticked in a different way than without him. It was way more fluid. A right back will, of course, never have the same impact. But they could still have a huge impact.

Trent and Robertson on average progress the ball 730 and 618 yards, respectively, on average per 90 min in the PL. Cancelo 542 yards. Digne 492 yards. AWB is at 363 yards. I get that he does not have the same numbers as Liverpool og Man City fullbacks. These players are in teams where they are on the ball more, and that will always inflate their numbers. But their is a natural limitation to AWBs game too. I mean, Shaw is at 518 yards per 90 min. Telles is at 595 yards.

I do think that Max Aarons with his on the ball-ability and distribution of the ball could come close to some of the best fullbacks. At a good team. I think that is why Bayern and Barcelona show interest in him. (They probably knew that his end product was not very good.)
Completely agree, great post.

Solskjaer I feel has realised that he's not gonna be able to implement his favoured way of playing (which he has outlined previously) with AWB at RB. So signing someone who will have the potential to improve our transitions is very important. It's not about assists but rather someone who will improve the dynamic of the collective when building the play. I'm sure the assists will come but for that we have to think positively by adding a fullback who has the potential to play the role going forward.

RooneyLegend

Not convinced by his delivery but he's got all the other tools to be a quality full back.

Chairman Steve

I find it interesting how Brandon Williams is seemingly being increasingly more linked with a permanent move away, rather than a loan. I was under the assumption he’d be the AWB back-up.

Maybe OGS has decided Aarons would be better competition for AWB?

croadyman

I find it interesting how Brandon Williams is seemingly being increasingly more linked with a permanent move away, rather than a loan. I was under the assumption he’d be the AWB back-up.

Thought it was just loan deals or have I missed a story somewhere

TheReligion

Abusive

Williams has just signed a long term contract. The moves away are all loan deals. The club has decided that he needs regular first team high level action to develop further.

croadyman

Williams has just signed a long term contract. The moves away are all loan deals. The club has decided that he needs regular first team high level action to develop further.
Think Southampton would be the best move as Hasenhuttl is a coach I really rate and could really bring him on

croadyman

Agree with this.
Has done a good job with Walker-Peters already and think he is capable of doing the same with Brandon, will be honest I don't know a whole lot about the Leverkusen coach so cannot comment on his suitability

TheReligion

Abusive
Has done a good job with Walker-Peters already and think he is capable of doing the same with Brandon, will be honest I don't know a whole lot about the Leverkusen coach so cannot comment on his suitability
Keep him in the PL where we can keep an eye on him I say. Also tougher league.

Murray3007

would be very underwhelmed with this kind of signing, dont see anything special in him going forward or defending, would rather pay more money and get someone who is better, look at James at Leicester for example this season he is miles ahead of Aarons.

cyberman

You think Jones, TFM and Williams would be the best players in the championship?
Among the best, yes. Any experienced squad player from the top half of the table would be.
Norwich kept the squad that got relegated from the prem and are walking the Championship, and thats Norwich with below average top level players.
Lets not be ridiculous here.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
How quick is he? Can't tell from the videos and can't remember from how shite Norwich were last year
Quick enough, probably similar pace to Wan-Bissaka I'd say?