Maxi Gomez

Ekeke

Shocking that we weren't sniffing around him last summer, he only went for 13.5 million, its typical united when we are nowhere near such a transfer but splash 20 million on James.
A bit much. Other clubs didnt either

cj_sparky

Shocking that we weren't sniffing around him last summer, he only went for 13.5 million, its typical united when we are nowhere near such a transfer but splash 20 million on James.
Valencia's deal was £13.5m+ Santi Mina and Jorge Saenz on a two year loan(Although Celta have an option to buy).

West Ham also supposedly offered £36m and if it came to it willing to pay his release clause of £44.5m.

He wouldn't have cost us £13.5m.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Looks decent, and impressive enough goals return in Spain, but with Haaland almost certainly coming in for the start of the 2021/22 season, guaranteed if Ole is still in charge, and the money Valencia would demand i'd prefer to take a punt on Adolfo Gaich this Summer providing Rashford gets back up to full-fitness, and put the extra £75m towards improving other areas of the squad that need upgrading more.

wolvored

He sulks on the pitch too, tbf.
Thats the trouble with whoever is keeping him at the club. He clearly isnt a top class striker, yet for some reason (Glazers?) wont let him go. Any other club aiming to be the best would have got shut of him by now. No inmprovement since the first season.

arthurka

Valencia's deal was £13.5m+ Santi Mina and Jorge Saenz on a two year loan(Although Celta have an option to buy).

West Ham also supposedly offered £36m and if it came to it willing to pay his release clause of £44.5m.

Don´t let facts get in the way of a good anti Utd story, no one wants to listen to that. :lol:

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Thats the trouble with whoever is keeping him at the club. He clearly isnt a top class striker, yet for some reason (Glazers?) wont let him go. Any other club aiming to be the best would have got shut of him by now. No inmprovement since the first season.
I think he has a high ceiling and there's always been hope he could reach it. I do think that hope is starting to fade though, but he's always done just enough to not be our number one concern and in need of replacing. Personally, I think come summer a striker should be our top priority.

Lee565

I think we could have got him for 36 million, if I remember rightly didnt celta agree to west ham's fee but he wasnt keen on joining west ham, had a club like ours came in for him I doubt he would have been so hesitant.

Im dissapointed we didnt try to get him though, we just paid 44 million plus add ons for a player with good stats in the Portuguese league which doesnt have the greatest depth in quality, Gomez had good stats in the far superior la Liga and his quality was obvious last season.

Lee565

A bit much. Other clubs didnt either
True but most decent clubs didn't allow themselves to be in a situation of having so little in depth and goals in attack, especially in the striker position like we did going into the season.