Maximilian Meyer

Aboutreika18

Only 18 but looks so mature and composed on the ball and very technically gifted for his age.

Could be another talented technomidget coming out of Germany and another promising player being developed by Schalke's academy, along with the likes of Draxler, Goretzka, Ayhan and Avdijaj.

The same underrated academy where the Caf's latest wankwagon Mesut Özil was developed, along with Germany's number 1, Manuel Neuer and current Schalke first teamers Benedikt Höwedes and Joel Matip.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Should put in a bid of 25 maximilian.

Lol!1

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Only 18 but looks so mature and composed on the ball and very technically gifted for his age.

Could be another talented technomidget coming out of Germany and another promising player being developed by Schalke's academy, along with the likes of Draxler, Goretzka, Ayhan and Avdijaj.

The same underrated academy where the Caf's latest wankwagon Mesut Özil was developed, along with Germany's number 1, Manuel Neuer and current Schalke first teamers Benedikt Höwedes and Joel Matip.
Maybe on here. In Germany the general opinion (from my experiences) is that Schalke´s academy is the strongest in Germany. They also have the most successful youth coach in the last years. This is actually the only field, where I rate them higher than rival Dortmund, who focus more on scouting at young age.

One thing, though. Leon Goretzka is not a product of their academy. He was brought up by Bochum and transfered last summer to Schalke.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Özil played only one season in Schalke's youth teams, he was around 17 when he moved there. He was born in Gelsenkirchen and played for other local clubs in his early years, but never for Schalke, then moved to Rot-Weiss Essen when he was 12 and stayed for 5 years. In his second season at Schalke he was already part of the Bundesliga squad. After his third season he left for Bremen. Schalke was important in his transition from youth to professional football, but he's not really an academy product like Höwedes, Draxler, Neuer or Meyer.

I agree with Sphaero though about the quality of their academy, right now it's probably the best in Germany. Dortmund's academy is nowhere near the level of Schalke or Bayern.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I agree with Sphaero though about the quality of their academy, right now it's probably the best in Germany. Dortmund's academy is nowhere near the level of Schalke or Bayern.
Wow, I didn't know that. Would've thought Dortmund had a very good academy, up there with the best. But I realise that they probably just buy promising "developed" youngsters and take them that little further.

Anyway, it's always difficult rating "academies" though IMO. How old does a player need to be or hw many years at your academy before you can classify them as your product etc? Just asking as I don't really know that myself.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Wow, I didn't know that. Would've thought Dortmund had a very good academy, up there with the best. But I realise that they probably just buy promising "developed" youngsters and take them that little further.

Anyway, it's always difficult rating "academies" though IMO. How old does a player need to be or hw many years at your academy before you can classify them as your product etc? Just asking as I don't really know that myself.
Dortmund have brilliant youth scouting and Klopp is really great in turning promising talents in very good players. That's imo a bit different to a great youth academy, but I agree with your second point. It's difficult to classify the players. Özil played 5 years in Essen's youth teams and 1 year in Schalke's, that's imo not really a Schalke youth product, even though he would be a homegrown player for Schalke if we go by UEFA rules (the player needs to be 3 years at the club between the age of 15 to 21, if I remember correctly). It's more difficult with someone like Kroos for example, who spend 5 years at Greifwald until he was 12, then 4 years at Rostock and then went to Bayern at the age of 16. All 3 clubs deserve some credit, imo, but according to UEFA he's a homegrown player only for Bayern.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Dortmund have brilliant youth scouting and Klopp is really great in turning promising talents in very good players. That's imo a bit different to a great youth academy, but I agree with your second point. It's difficult to classify the players. Özil played 5 years in Essen's youth teams and 1 year in Schalke's, that's imo not really a Schalke youth product, even though he would be a homegrown player for Schalke if we go by UEFA rules (the player needs to be 3 years at the club between the age of 15 to 21, if I remember correctly). It's more difficult with someone like Kroos for example, who spend 5 years at Greifwald until he was 12, then 4 years at Rostock and then went to Bayern at the age of 16. All 3 clubs deserve some credit, imo, but according to UEFA he's a homegrown player only for Bayern.
Thanks for the clarity. Yeah I totally agree with you. You could have a excellent academy of 17 year old's on the verge of breaking into the reserves or even first team, but if you got most of them aged 16 from other clubs etc, I'm just not convinced if you should call you own academy "brilliant". But that'sneither here not there.

Let's get back on topic.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
You are right on that. Its the same guide line I remember.

It is easy to mistake Dortmund for a club with a great youth academy from the outside, because the first team features several young talents and Klopp is a coach that is known for allowing players to come through the second team into the first team. Our second team, which functions mostly as our U23, is actually pretty decent, being besides Stuttgart the only second team to play in the third German league. The problem is, that even in that team only a fraction originated from our own youth teams. The development in the first two teams is really good, the problems start sooner. Basically in the department under 18 we clearly lagging behind the top academies Bayern, Stuttgart and of course Schalke.

This can be seen at the actual crop of players, who came through the second team and are supposed to play a role in the first one. I would say, that there are currently five players in that class: the offensive Midfielder Jonas Hofmann, the (former striker now) Fullback Eric Durm, the two Centerbacks Marian Sarr and Koray Günther and the striker Marvin Ducksch. Only the last two are actually academy players of Dortmund. The first three all came at the age of 18-20, which shows the normal patter at Dortmund.

In the end, the officials somewhat neglected the academy for some time and put too much trust into their scouting, which results in a lower overall quality of U18 players. This was changed about two years, when they started to invest more there. However, this investment will take more time to bear fruits.

Andrew~

With a name like that, he has to be good! Sign me up to the fanboy crew.

Comsmit

A poster in the newbs ManniKaltz sent me this message yesterday at 17:30 which I've only got round to posting now....

just a brief hi for now to share that high potential Max Meyer from our local rivals extended his contract with Schalke until 2018
It's been in the press today but if I had been on the caf last night I would have posted it then. Another technically superb German wonderkid who has a massive future.....they cannot stop.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Deserves a bump. Absolutely fantastic performance today.

Suedesi

Once a great talent with a prospect for the national team, come to papa says my Bayern supporting freund :)

Devil may care

I was going to post nice things about him but if he's already going to Bayern I don't care. :mad:

Blackwidow

like Draxler, right? :lol:
No. Who told that Draxler will go to Bayern? Not everybody can play in Munich... But I guess with this interview in which he told that he was a Bayern fan as a kid he already send an application - you usually do not do that, not before a transfer is already confirmed...

Blackwidow

Has a cool name - Sign him up
Maximilian - the name of some Bavarian royals! :cool:

The Bavarian Landtag's (state parliament) home is the "Maximilianeum"

Meyer, Maier, Meier is one of the most used names in Germany. Origin is manager/caretaker of an estate.

Last edited:

NoPace

Can anyone post about his performance? I don't follow the German league and don't know what happened.
He had an excellent game, linking play for Schalke and coming deep to get the ball, making clever passes and generally beating his man often. He looked quick as a motherfecker and smart as a smart motherfecker.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
@Balu picked this one a LONG time ago - I remember having a discussion with him about Meyer, especially in comparison to Draxler a fair while ago now.

Bwuk

How's Leon Goretzka getting on? He was tipped to be a star wasn't he?

He absolute bossed one of my old United midfields on FM years ago.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
How's Leon Goretzka getting on? He was tipped to be a star wasn't he?

He absolute bossed one of my old United midfields on FM years ago.
He was injured for 9 months, played only his 2nd game this season yesterday.

izec

They are super comfortable though, best underwear i ever had. Even better than Beckham's.