Maybe for the older guys: which utd managers have fulfilled your expectations over the years bar Sir Matt and SAF?

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Aside from Sir Matt and Sir Alex. Docherty and Big Ron did ok, but pretty much any other manager aside from Fergie and busby has underachieved

lsd

The Oracle
All have been below par, but probably have to give it to the "Finished One".. Europa League, League Cup and 2nd place PL position (albeit 19 points behind)..

Who played the worst football of them all and still came nowhere near winning the title

TRUERED89

Who played the worst football of them all and still came nowhere near winning the title
None of them came close though did they? Imo LVG's was the worst, I've never fallen asleep during a United game until his era (no exaggeration).

lsd

The Oracle
None of them came close though did they? Imo LVG's was the worst, I've never fallen asleep during a United game until his era (no exaggeration).

Looking back Ron came closest and played good football

patty123

I would say Big Ron and Mourinho are pretty much the same story. They spent a lot of money and made it work for a while, and then it all fell to pieces - and the guy after came in and had to do a pretty thorough Clean-up job.
I said hell no to that first statement, as dont know you're age so I'll pretend you were young when the Gigolo was in charge. The thing you have to remember, jose didnt take over a team that was more interested in pints rather than points and the leader of said cult was no other than our then record signing, who if you read his book see he only joined for money, as that rampant Liverpool side also had the same bid accept by WBA and we offered as we always do, more wages, and most likely one of the reason he was kept.

Now you could blame BR for allowing that to go on, but christ they didnt even listen to AF either when he came in and got rid of most except the alleged leader robson for it, so in other words maybe you cant blame BR on the drinking culture in the early 80's that hampered that team, classic case was The Black Pearl, as we all know how he won PPOFT after he left in 92/93 I think it was, god I hated to be him in England in the 80's, Black and even worse Irish .

Last edited:

lysglimt

Scout
I said hell no to that first statement, as dont know you're age so I'll pretend you were young when the Gigolo was in charge. The thing you have to remember, jose didnt take over a team that was more interested in pints rather than points and the leader of said cult was no other than our then record signing, who if you read his book see he only joined for money, as that rampant Liverpool side also had the same bid accept by WBA and we offered as we always do, more wages, and most likely one of the reason he was kept.

Now you could blame BR for allowing that to go on, but christ they didnt even listen to AF either when he came in and got rid of most except the alleged leader robson for it, so in other words maybe you cant blame BR on the drinking culture in the early 80's that hampered that team, classic case was The Black Pearl, as we all know how he won PPOFT after he left in 92/93 I think it was, god I hated to be him in England in the 80's, Black and even worse Irish .
Everything isn't the same - but both came in and spent a lot of Money, got some decent results for a while - won a few cups and did ok in the league, and then it all fell to pieces. In that respect - they were pretty similar - of course in other respect there were differences naturaly.

Grande

Tommy Doc did a great job at yours.
Much under appreciated maybe because of the circumstances of his departure?
Tommy Doc is the first in my experience. He made for exciting years and is partly responsible for some of the DNA Sir Alex perceived as Man United. Sharpe/Giggs+Kanchelskis and rapid breakdowns owes as mutch to Doc’s Hill/Coppell as anything Sir Matt did. A shame what happened off the pitch.

Atkinson gave me some great joy with the football played at times. Robson and Whiteside, Jesper Oksen and Peter Barnes, the two FA Cup wins. Beating Maradona.

Ernest Mangnall was of course before my time. Van Gaal was entertaining until it turned out it wasn’t. Mourinho did well for a year and a half, and his and Zlatan’s charm was a powerful combo for a while. Unfortunately the time stamp was in effect, and it wasn’t really worth it.
The present last year is the most fun I’ve had with United since Atkinson, looking outside of the Ferguson years.

Lastwolf

Mourinho probably exceed my expectations by wining the Europa, there was a period during the finishing 2nd season, that I thought he might be able to win the league, the meme 2nd year Mourinho was strong. But it played out a bit worse than I imagined prior to his sacking, so overall probably better than expected but barely.

lsd

The Oracle
Mourinho probably exceed my expectations by wining the Europa, there was a period during the finishing 2nd season, that I thought he might be able to win the league, the meme 2nd year Mourinho was strong. But it played out a bit worse than I imagined prior to his sacking, so overall probably better than expected but barely.

We were nowhere near winning the league in his second season

Dr Fink

Tommy Doc for me. An exciting team - my first memories of a full footy match in '76, a narrow loss. Then the best cup final:'77. It wasn't until many years later I realised the significance of the game: stopping the dipper winning the treble. I have fond memories of that period. Exciting, but not consistent times!

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Have to say The Doc because he brought back the fun and our swagger and gave us flying wingers. More controversially... I sometimes wonder about Sexton who won (I think) seven on the trot just before he was sacked. If it had been three points for a win back then...

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
as that rampant Liverpool side also had the same bid accept by WBA and we offered as we always do, more wages, and most likely one of the reason he was kept.
You sure about that? We had a reputation for decades as being tight Arabs when it came to wages, the win bonus was to die for(but obviously you had to play), but the basic wages offered to new signings was usually less than they'd been on at their previous club.

vidic blood & sand

Doc & Ron without a doubt.
When up for it, the 80s side could beat anyone on the planet when Robbo was playing. And they were so exciting to watch.

Champagne Football

Big Ron was a Big Time Charlie who had some amazing players but the team lacked discipline and professionalism. That's as far back as my memory goes.

All other managers since Big Ron, bar Sir Alex of course have been dog-shit. Very poor choices by the board post-Fergie.

patty123

You sure about that? We had a reputation for decades as being tight Arabs when it came to wages, the win bonus was to die for(but obviously you had to play), but the basic wages offered to new signings was usually less than they'd been on at their previous club.
Yeah he stated it in his autobiography and gave the reason as he had a young family and chose them, which lets be honest, is something any family man worth his salts would do, good read btw.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Yeah he stated it in his autobiography and gave the reason as he had a young family and chose them, which lets be honest, is something any family man worth his salts would do, good read btw.
Fair enough, haven't or don't recall reading it.

The club obviously made exception but were notoriously low payers, relying on the player wanting to sign for the club with their initial contract.