Maybe for the older guys: which utd managers have fulfilled your expectations over the years bar Sir Matt and SAF?

simplyared

A list of managers from old to new:
Sir Matt and SAF not included.
Wilf Macguiness
Frank O'Farell
Tommy Doc
Dave Sexton
Big Ron
David Moyes
LVG
Jose Mourinho
OGS
Looking at this list I personally had big expectations for most of these guys with regard to what they'd achieved at their previous clubs. With exception to McGuiness who was doomed to fail. LVG past his sell by date. Moyes was appointed on the merit of keeping Everton in the top half of the PL, so that was shaky from the beginning. OGS no proven record, Molde doesn't count.
Even though the doc took us down, I would say he did the best job for us, but he still didn't reach the heights he did at Chelsea imv. Big Ron was great at West Brom. Sexton the same at Chelsea. But imv none of them fulfilled their promise when they came to us.
Views on this!

TRUERED89

All have been below par, but probably have to give it to the "Finished One".. Europa League, League Cup and 2nd place PL position (albeit 19 points behind)..

Foxbatt

Big Ron was unlucky one year with his injuries. As usual not only Robbo but many other players. We only lost to Juventus and Platini and Rossi and co by one goal even with those injuries. The night we beat Barca and Maradona and co was one of the biggest nights before we won the CL for the second time. I was lucky enough to be at OT. Never ever thought we could come back from a 2-0 down from Nou Camp to beat them 3-0 at OT. Not only Moses parted everything in his path he stopped everything too including one Diego Armando Maradona.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Big Ron had his moments. A little bit like Ole though. Some results in big games, underperformed in a lot of games we should have just won.

What I will say about Jose was that he knew he had to get into the Champions League and I think when he came out to say Europa league was the priority, you were pretty confident he would deliver on that. Moyes............................faired a lot worse than I expected to be honest

Web of Bissaka

Cheeky way to identify older posters?

Kid' aside, LVG n Mou fulfilled my minimum expectations.

LVG - to do much better than Moyes. He did. Not really hard but other managers may even possibly do a worser job than Moyes, so LVG just passed.

Mou - to do better than LVG, he did sort of for two seasons overall. And to won trophies, he did.

simplyared

LVG - to do much better than Moyes. He did. Not really hard but other managers may even possibly do a worser job than Moyes, so LVG just passed.

Mou - to do better than LVG, he did sort of for two seasons overall. And to won trophies, he did.
I did say maybe!

Maticmaker

I suppose because of the success of Busby, every United manager that followed had a lot to live up to and only SAF did, eventually taking the new Premier League by storm and winning the so far unbeaten top treble.

I agree that Tommy Doc was probably best of the rest, he had the hardest job because he had to clear our what was rapidly becoming and old footballers home. In so doing he had to take a punt on a mix of older players and new youngsters (sounds familiar doesn't it?). We did go down but even before then you could see the potential he was putting together, we stormed back the following season, made the cup final but lost out. Tommy's team was playing some decent football and may well have gone on to greater things, but because of aspects of his personal life he was shown the door, so we never found out.

Big Ron did bring us some moments in the cup comps, but no real consistency (also sounds familiar doesn't it?)

Dave Sexton/Butch Wilkins left us the legacy of crab like movements across the pitch "side,-side-quick-quick- slow, then more side to side'... somehow that legacy never left us really, or just lay dormant in the subconscious until LvG appeared!

In terms of silverware, Jose has to be the best of the rest (after Sir Matt and SAF) achieved in his first season.

Who knows Ole might outdo them all!!

Last edited:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Mourinho. Simply, with him we were again giant club. We won trophies( especially EL with which we became club with all trophies won), finished second, bought some world class players in Zlatan and Pogba. We were the Manchester United.

Full bodied red

Moyes - even before he joined us I thought he was crap and he fulfilled every expectation I had of him after he did join us.

Tommy Doc - I really enjoyed his time with us. For a few years, it was football with a smile and to be honest at the time nobody was going to beat Liverpool or Forest to the title so I just sort of enjoyed it - even the relegation season which was so bad we had to laugh rather than cry.

Jose M - considering the shithousery that's gone on since he left, I'd say he deserves credit for what he did achieve before the players and the Board let him down.

simplyared

I suppose because of the success of Busby, every United manager that followed had a lot to live up to and only SAF did, eventually taking the new Premier League by storm and winning the so far unbeaten top treble.

I agree that Tommy Doc was probably best of the rest, he had the hardest job because he had to clear our what was rapidly becoming and old footballers home. In so doing he had to take a punt on a mix of older players and new youngsters (sounds familiar doesn't it?). We did go down but even before then you could see the potential he was putting together, we stormed back the following season, made the cup final but lost out. Tommy's team was playing some decent football and may well have gone on to greater things, but because of aspects of his personal life he was shown the door, so we never found out.

Big Ron did bring us some moments in the cup comps, but no real consistency (also sounds familiar doesn't it?)

Dave Sexton/Butch Wilkins left us the legacy of crab like movements across the pitch "side,-side-quick-quick- slow, then more side to side'... somehow that legacy never left us really, or just lay dormant in the subconscious until LvG appeared!

In terms of silverware, Jose has to be the best of the rest (after Sir Matt and SAF) achieved in his first season.

Who knows Ole might outdo them all!!
Love the Sexton/Wilkins bit!

Revaulx

Well 79/80 (Wilkins’ first) was our best season in the league between the 67 and 93 wins; only two points off the champions (Liverpool). Unfortunately that team was a bit goal-shy, but that wasn’t down to not creating chances. Jordan was an absolute monster, but was never a prolific scorer. Unfortunately Wilkins was injured most of the following season, and Sexton’s answer to the lack of goals was Garry Birtles :rolleyes:

momo83

Massive Snowflake

I agree. I think LVG deserved more time and money. Mourinho if we backed him it would have meant getting rid of Martial and not utilising Rashford and winning with a team that was short term.

Fosu-Mens

SAF: His last season, did not expect him to win the league. Greatest achievement by a team/manager in the EPL, even bigger than Leicester and Ranieri.

Moyes: Just as expected. Clueless.

LVG: Expected the team to play more attacking football in his second season. Our only real coach since SAF and the only one that had an approach to football that might have worked long term.

Mourinho: Get some trophies then implode. As expected.

OGS: Be positive and create a good culture and not buy players/extend contracts with players that are not suited to play possession-oriented football. No expectation and hope regarding development, style of play etc given that he got a limited ability to coach a team to operate as a unit, which should be a base requirement for being a manager. Signed some players that will not suit a more progressive style of play and OK'ed a new contract to DDG. So under expectation.

fergiesarmy1

SAF: His last season, did not expect him to win the league. Greatest achievement by a team/manager in the EPL, even bigger than Leicester and Ranieri.
Mate im one of Fergies biggest fans and won’t hear a bad word said against him but seriously? Leicester were 5000/1 dogs to win the league we were at worst 3rd favourites that season to win it :lol:

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Tommy Doc did a great job at yours.
Much under appreciated maybe because of the circumstances of his departure?

TRUERED89

Moyes: Just as expected. Clueless.

LVG: Expected the team to play more attacking football in his second season. Our only real coach since SAF and the only one that had an approach to football that might have worked long term.

Mourinho: Get some trophies then implode. As expected.

OGS: Be positive and create a good culture and not buy players/extend contracts with players that are not suited to play possession-oriented football. No expectation and hope regarding development, style of play etc given that he got a limited ability to coach a team to operate as a unit, which should be a base requirement for being a manager. Signed some players that will not suit a more progressive style of play and OK'ed a new contract to DDG. So under expectation.
Really ? We missed out on goal difference the season before, therefore bought arguably the best striker in Europe at that time! But you still didn’t expect to win the league ?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
A lot of sentiment around Sir Matt rebuilding the team after the ashes of Munich but he was spent after the European Cup in 68. We never rebuilt on that.

SAF on the other hand had the desire to keep improving. He never hung on to players past their best. So for me SAF is the one!

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Docherty by a country mile. Took over a bunch of ageing relegation-bound has-beens and created a tremendously exciting, attacking, and very young team that were an absolute joy to follow.

TRUERED89

A lot of sentiment around Sir Matt rebuilding the team after the ashes of Munich but he was spent after the European Cup in 68. We never rebuilt on that.

SAF on the other hand had the desire to keep improving. He never hung on to players past their best. So for me SAF is the one!
SAF and SMB don’t count.. So who’s the best of the rest in your eyes ?

Fosu-Mens

Mate im one of Fergies biggest fans and won’t hear a bad word said against him but seriously? Leicester were 5000/1 dogs to win the league we were at worst 3rd favourites that season to win it :lol:
Leicester had almost no injuries, did not play in the Champions League and usually fielded the same 11 starters each game.
Compare the two most used starting 11s and I would argue that on paper (Rio and Vidic were well over the top, Rooney not that good, DDG not at his best yet etc) Leicester had the better starting 11 compared to how they have performed since those two seasons.

fergiesarmy1

Leicester had almost no injuries, did not play in the Champions League and usually fielded the same 11 starters each game.
Compare the two most used starting 11s and I would argue that on paper (Rio and Vidic were well over the top, Rooney not that good, DDG not at his best yet etc) Leicester had the better starting 11 compared to how they have performed since those two seasons.
Your still talking about a team that was 5000/1 versus us who were probably 5/1 at best. Nowhere close comparison as shocks - move on.

Fosu-Mens

Your still talking about a team that was 5000/1 versus us who were probably 5/1 at best. Nowhere close comparison as shocks - move on.
Wow...

lost.... for.... words.
The shock is nowhere close to comparison. But in retrospective, comparing the two teams, and how key players have performed in laters years, how SAF was able to constantly shift the starting 11 while still making them perform... Ranieri found the golden formula with the 11 starting players and almost never had to make changes. From a managerial standpoint (which is what we are discussing, not Leicester winning the league which I agree is a much bigger shock) I think there are reasons to state that what SAF was able to do with that squad is at least comparable to what Ranieri did with his squad. And, I, personally rank SAF 12/13 higher than Ranieri 15/16.

Not team, but the managerial performance which could have been mistaken in my ambiguous original post.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Dave Sexton. Not because he was any good but his 79 FA cup final side was one of my favorites ever. Well I was only 10. Obviously we've had a lot better sides under SAF but 40 years on and I'll never forget any names put out that day.

Red For Ever

Memory plays tricks, and everything was different.

But I remember Tommy Doc and Big Ron as being good times overall, which is not the same as winning lots of trophies.
I just seem to remember enjoying the football more, life on the terraces was more "Exciting" :devil: but not all good.

Even now there is a Newcastle supporter I would like to find even after almost 40 years, we could probably hit each other
with our Zimmer frames.

Compared to some on the list, LVG and Mou were a success, just not compared to the SAF period they followed.

The same happened when Busby retired, ( the first time ) expectations remained high for some time, but not as high as when SAF retired.

SAF put the bar so high, for some it's all they knew, for others it lasted so long, it became the norm, and it was always going to
be difficult for anyone to follow,
Moyes was not a good choice, but no matter who it was, following SAF was going to be almost impossible.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Doc’s side came as close to any modern side in that they were small, quick and he had Coppell and Hill hitting crosses fast and early expecting the likes of Pearson to get on the end of them.

They just weren’t physical enough but a joy to watch for 2 seasons

The shock is nowhere close to comparison. But in retrospective, comparing the two teams, and how key players have performed in laters years, how SAF was able to constantly shift the starting 11 while still making them perform... Ranieri found the golden formula with the 11 starting players and almost never had to make changes. From a managerial standpoint (which is what we are discussing, not Leicester winning the league which I agree is a much bigger shock) I think there are reasons to state that what SAF was able to do with that squad is at least comparable to what Ranieri did with his squad. And, I, personally rank SAF 12/13 higher than Ranieri 15/16.

Not team, but the managerial performance which could have been mistaken in my ambiguous original post.
Still lost for words.

black country red

Doc gave us the 2nd division title and some great away games along the way had us challenge for division and a win against the scouse 1 Dave sexton took us to Wembley unlucky and a great season 79/80 big Ron 2 cup wins great players great fun I really miss those days

Erebus

Docherty for me. Played some attractive football, and you felt the club was going somewhere.

lysglimt

Scout
Tommy Docherty took over a hopeless team - signed some good players : Macari, G.Daly, Coppell, Hill and Pearson - and he got us playing good football. He is also the only one who didn't get fired because of football-related issues.

So he left Sexton with a fairly young, interesting side.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Tommy Docherty was there to take us down (something about "don't try and catch a falling knife" fits here) and there to bring us back up. It was a wild ride, but that promotion year and the team that followed it was fun after years of United being anything but fun. Won the Cup by beating "treble chasing" Liverpool as well.

Big Ron met expectations as well, at the time. By which I mean he got us back to competing for trophies, he made us look like United, and got my hopes up. In retrospect, I'm not sure if he was unlucky or if I was just over-optimistic about the teams quality. It was nice being optimistic though.

Moyes met my expectations as well. I expected him to be disappointing and a bad fit for the club, and he was.

BR7

Big Ron was unlucky one year with his injuries. As usual not only Robbo but many other players. We only lost to Juventus and Platini and Rossi and co by one goal even with those injuries. The night we beat Barca and Maradona and co was one of the biggest nights before we won the CL for the second time. I was lucky enough to be at OT. Never ever thought we could come back from a 2-0 down from Nou Camp to beat them 3-0 at OT. Not only Moses parted everything in his path he stopped everything too including one Diego Armando Maradona.
Wow so jealous you were at that game. Robbo carried off the pitch by paddy McCrerand’s son (I think that’s right) well everyone wanted to get to Robbo at that final whistle. Graeme Hogg “I had maradonna in my pocket all night”

Another problem Bojangles had was that pitch. Edwards kept on having Rugby League matches at OT and the surface of our pitch resembled a 1st WW battlefield, mud everywhere, couldn’t play a passing game if you tried.

I’d say he was unlucky not to win the league once specially that season (85 or 86?)we started the season with 10straight wins or something like that and we were top by a few points while Liverpool were languishing mid table. Liverpool won the league that year....... injuries and the pitch are what cost Ron that year imo

We won 2 FA cups which meant a lot back then and the win against Everton 85 was another sweet moment. I liked Ron, he was a good manager for his time but SAF took us to the next level and Ron wasn’t going to. He was drinking with the lads which didn’t help.

Jose also, we did win some trophies with him but I’ve always disliked him since that Porto game at OT.

It’s them two to pick from. Doc I couldn’t ever give a vote to after the incident with a staff members wife, sending him to long distance places and then while he was gone going round the fellas house and sleeping with his missus. We can’t have managers like that, they are untrustworthy regardless of talent and for that reason he is the bottom of the list. It cost him his job, and rightly so, causing disharmony at the club when one of your jobs is to do the opposite. Imagine SMB behaving like that? You just can’t can you.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Docherty was before my time (well, not chronologically - but I was a baby at the time), but I know a bit about his stint. He'd fit the bill, no doubt - attractive football, was arguably on his way to something very good when he got himself in trouble and had to leave.

Then there's Big Ron: good football on the whole, won a couple of cups, European nights that have gone down in history, and came very close to winning the league (closer than it looks on paper, I'd say).

I had no expectations for Moyes - just a stupid hope.

I expected LVG to be considerably better than Moyes, but had my doubts about him being the right fit. By the start of his second season I was pretty much convinced he would never turn us into anything worth talking about.

I didn't expect Mourinho to be a grand success at United, but entertained - yet again - a foolish hope that he still had it in him to win something big.

I don't expect Ole to be a grand success either. But you never know.

Bestietom

I suppose it has to be Mourinho after winning 2 trophies and getting us into 2nd place.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
The Doc would have been interesting if he'd had another 2/3 seasons. Played some good stuff.