Mbappe vs Rashford - Taking the L from Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainoldo

With the first week of the Champions league over, it was interesting looking back and thinking we might have a couple new interesting rivalry's developing.

Kane and Lukaku have been battling domestically for arguable two years now but with Lukaku finally having that higher platform, it's been interesting to see him embracing it. Between the two I feel Lukaku probably has more tools to his game that can be improved on however Kane's finishing yesterday was David Trezeguet esq and as a rival fan it was quite frightening.

Which leads me on to the wonderkids... I don't think much notice has been made to how in-sync they have both made a lot of noise over the last two weeks internationally and at club level. Mbappe certainly carries with him more hype but I feel Rashford is pretty much going unnoticed (which for him could be a good thing) but i'm secretly hoping we are looking at a new Messi v Ronaldo like rivalry..

As the years develop it will be interesting to see who ends up getting the biggest accolades and whether these are comparable rivalries as we could easily end up with a Rooney v Ronaldo like situation.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
As amazing as Rashford is I don't think he is the level of wonder kids of the past such as Ronaldo or Rooney. Haven't seen enough of Mbappe yet to make a judgement.

Treble

With the first week of the Champions league over, it was interesting looking back and thinking we might have a couple new interesting rivalry's developing.

Kane and Lukaku have been battling domestically for arguable two years now but with Lukaku finally having that higher platform, it's been interesting to see him embracing it. Between the two I feel Lukaku probably has more tools to his game that can be improved on however Kane's finishing yesterday was David Trezeguet esq and as a rival fan it was quite frightening.

Which leads me on to the wonderkids... I don't think much notice has been made to how in-sync they have both made a lot of noise over the last two weeks internationally and at club level. Mbappe certainly carries with him more hype but I feel Rashford is pretty much going unnoticed (which for him could be a good thing) but i'm secretly hoping we are looking at a new Messi v Ronaldo like rivalry..

As the years develop it will be interesting to see who ends up getting the biggest accolades and whether these are comparable rivalries as we could easily end up with a Rooney v Ronaldo like situation.
I feel the opposite.

Mbappe is far more advanced in his development. And I'm a big Rashford fan.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Kane and Mbappe are better.
I don't really get the urge to compare our player with others.

Trequartistry

Kane is the best striker in the league, perhaps my top 5 strikers in the world. Don't think Lukaku's finishing is close to Kane's unfortunately. Don't know how Rashford v Mbappe comparisons exists, Mbappe is not only the best youngster (right behind O.Dembele) in the world, he's one of the best attackers.

Mainoldo

I feel the opposite.

Mbappe is far more advanced in his development. And I'm a big Rashford fan.
I don't see where Kane improves which is why i said that where Lukaku can definitely offer better hold up play and has signs of improving his movement. I accept his touch will remain how it is.

Mbappe to me just looks less raw but i haven't seen him do anything that says he is any better than Rashford besides the fact things look more effortless.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I genuinely believe that we, with our squad as is, are better off with Lukaku than we would be with Kane. But I have literally no clue if I rate one higher than the other in general.

As for Rashford vs Mbappe... Mbappe no contest. Hell, for me Rashford won't ever become one of the world's best players. A great one, sure, but not in the top tier.

Treble

I don't see where Kane improves which is why i said that where Lukaku can definitely offer better hold up play and has signs of improving his movement. I accept his touch will remain how it is.

Mbappe to me just looks less raw but i haven't seen him do anything that says he is any better than Rashford besides the fact things look more effortless.
You serious? He scored 26 goals last season, most of them in the crucial part of the season.

Mainoldo

It's ridiculous to compare Rashford to Mbappe. He's nowhere near him. He's nowhere near Gabriel Jesus never mind Mbappe like.
Which is why I feel he's underrated. I might be wrong but we will see in due time.. to me if Rashford was in the French league he's hype would be a lot greater.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Kane has consistently improved over the past few years and just seems to get stronger with every month that goes past. I think what you mean is that you do not see a weakness in Kane's game or an area where improvement would be obvious - if that's what you meant then I would agree but it doesn't mean that he can't - or isn't improving. He is.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Kane is easily better than Lukaku, and Mbappe is easily better than Rashford. That will be the case by the time they've all ended their careers too imo.

Long Ball

I genuinely believe that we, with our squad as is, are better off with Lukaku than we would be with Kane. But I have literally no clue if I rate one higher than the other in general.

As for Rashford vs Mbappe... Mbappe no contest. Hell, for me Rashford won't ever become one of the world's best players. A great one, sure, but not in the top tier.
Sums it up nicely. Kane is a better player but lukaku is more suited to Mourinho. If Sir Alex was still in charge Kane would be the better fit

Mainoldo

Kane has consistently improved over the past few years and just seems to get stronger with every month that goes past. I think what you mean is that you do not see a weakness in Kane's game or an area where improvement would be obvious - if that's what you meant then I would agree but it doesn't mean that he can't - or isn't improving. He is.
Yes that what i meant. He seems very complete in his development, don't get me wrong he is the better all round striker.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Kane vs Lukaku is a good one
But right now I don't think Rashford is quite up to it to compare with Mbappe yet (Let's face it no one would pay 150m to buy Rashford yet, in future though who knows), the more appropriate comparison for now would be:

Kane vs Lukaku
Mbappe vs Dembele
Martial vs Rashford

Sunspear17

Supports
Chelsea
Football fans are fickle and most of their opinions change like the wind. It would be better to ask this question at the end of the season.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
United fans in overrating their own players shocker. In our defence I will say Lukaku will only get better in this side and hopefully can challenge a Kane one day but right now Kane is superior.

Mbappe is insane talent and more put together than Rooney at the same age, and Rashford is very raw so really unfair comparison. If Rashford can at his peak be like Mbappe now that would be a success.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Football fans are fickle and most of their opinions change like the wind. It would be better to ask this question at the end of the season.
We're football fans though, it's completely okay to be wrong & change your opinion.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
I think Lukaku and Kane could be a great battle for years to come, but Rashford has a long way to go before he's in the top bracket. He just needs to keep knuckling down though, why put the pressure on him to become an Mbappe (£160m...). City fans do the same with Jesus, sets them both up for a big fall when they go through a tough spell at some point later this year, or next.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Young player X will never become elite/world class or young player X will be one of the best, Balon d'or material is the biggest BS statement. It's like people don't remember Balotelli, Pato, Anderson, Kane, Drogba, Lewandowski, Wilshere.

Hawks2008

Honestly don't think the distance between Kane and Lukaku is far. They're both excellent strikers but one has had the benefit of being at a better team and being the main penalty taker for them the past few seasons so this season will shed more light on Kane v Lukaku. I think Lukaku is gonna finally get that golden boot this season.

I don't think there is much comparison between Rashford and Mbappe though. Mbappe is a better dribbler, a better finisher and just a more special talent. He's already got more career goals than Rashford despite having only broken out last season. Rashford is a good prospect no doubt but I don't really think it's time to put him in with the likes of O.Dembele, Asensio, Mbappe etc.

Mainoldo

Honestly don't think the distance between Kane and Lukaku is far. They're both excellent strikers but one has had the benefit of being at a better team and being the main penalty taker for them the past few seasons so this season will shed more light on Kane v Lukaku. I think Lukaku is gonna finally get that golden boot this season.

I don't think there is much comparison between Rashford and Mbappe though. Mbappe is a better dribbler, a better finisher and just a more special talent. He's already got more career goals than Rashford despite having only broken out last season. Rashford is a good prospect no doubt but I don't really think it's time to put him in with the likes of O.Dembele, Asensio, Mbappe etc.
He plays in the French league, so i don't get this goal argument. PSG will likely beat teams with 3 goal average for the whole season. For his age his goal scoring record for an inside forward is very good.

fellaini's barber

Rashford is not a very good dribbler or finisher, and imo a shit winger. But he's young, English, and from the academy so I expect the daft comparisons from this end. It's like people think the rest of the world who rate Mbappe so highly haven't bothered to ever watch Rashford or are blind to this similar potential he has to Mbappe/Dembele. As for Lukaku Vs Kane I think Kane is a better all round footballer and striker, but at least the gap is not that much compared to the other comparison

el3mel

Mbappe is much better than Rashford currently. Kane is better than Lukaku but not by a great margin imo.

Bwuk

Mbappe is miles ahead of Rashford. You'd have to be very biased to say otherwise.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Rashford isn't close to what Mbappe is currently or potential wise. Don't get me wrong, I love Rashford, but Mbappe is a very intelligent and composed player and much more talented on the ball then Rashford is. Mbappe in his one season last year has scored more goals then Rashford has in 77 games for us so far... So let's not get ahead of ourselves and compare the 2.

As for Lukaku vs Kane. Kane has been a top striker for 3 seasons now, consistently banging them in, while Lukaku has been improving more and more and only last season reached that level. Pretty sure they'll get a similar amount of goals this year, but I'd say as of now, Kane is a bit ahead.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
The title of this thread is depressing as Kane is better than Lukaku and Mbappe is better than Rashford.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Kane's finishing is brilliant but I really don't think last night was much evidence of that. He was pretty average tbh, Dortmund's defence is just shocking. Eriksen is the best player in that Spuds side though.

For me Lukaku and Kane are quite different stylistically and Lukaku is a better fit for us. Whether he's a better player, meh.

Mbappé is clearly better than Rashford right now, stronger and uses his body better. Marginally better finisher too. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Rashford catches him up at some point, the lad is brilliant and improving all the time, but for now he's not quite on that level so it's a bit of a moot debate.

reddevil702

United fans in overrating their own players shocker. In our defence I will say Lukaku will only get better in this side and hopefully can challenge a Kane one day but right now Kane is superior.

Mbappe is insane talent and more put together than Rooney at the same age, and Rashford is very raw so really unfair comparison. If Rashford can at his peak be like Mbappe now that would be a success.
Rashford's problem has been consistency but on his day he's just as effective as Mbappe was for Monaco last season. I don't think Mbappe is that much better than Rashford now, yes he's shown he's a better finisher and consistency but all while playing in a weaker league and for a team with very low expectations.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Hard to take Mbappe serious as long as he stays in the Scottish French league. He has to do five times what Rashford/Martial/Jesus does in the Premier League to even warrant a comparison..

LoneStar

Mbappe is much better than Rashford.

Lukaku and Kane will battle it out for the golden boot this season. Think this will be the season Lukaku outscores Kane. Both have age on their side and will only improve. Between the two, I would choose Lukaku. I feel he's a better fit to our side.

Eddy_JukeZ

Lukaku is much closer to Kane. I feel they're on a similar level, but Kane is better for now.

I don't think Rashford is near Mbappe.

Von Mistelroum

Kane is better than Lukaku, but not vastly. Mbappe is a long, long way ahead of Rashford. It's similar to the difference between Nani and Ronaldo.

ottosec

I guess I am the only one who doesn't think that Kane is better than Lukaku?

Mbappe is clearly better than Rashford, tho. That kid's composure is just insane for someone that young.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I like the honesty in this thread, I don't think even with rose-tinted glasses you can put either Lukaku or Rashford on the level of Kane and Mbappe. I do agree that Lukaku is not far off, it will be an interesting rivalry to follow along with Morata if all keep up good form.

As far as Rashford with Mbappe, I don't think it's a fair comparison for Rashford just yet. Mbappe is younger, but he's a special case. People who say they don't see a big difference between him and Rashford muyst not have seen Mbappe enough. The big advantage I give him over Rashford is that the kid is effective from anywhere in the offense. Left, right, central striker...he finds a way to make an impact and be a handful for defenders, Rashford still has to add experience playing on the wings. I also think Mbappe is superior in finishing, and creating for others which are two other huge areas of a forward's game. I think speed, technique, etc....it's a much closer debate but being younger than Rashford and so ahead on those critical areas already is going to make it difficult for Rashford to catch up, but they're both young and a lot can happen on and off the field to drastically change their fortune.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Well, I mean you can compare Rashford and Mbappe but it's a bit like comparing a Boots triple-decker BLT sandwich to a nice home cooked meal.

Not implying Rashford is bad of course. Mbappe is just obviously a bit better.

Status
Not open for further replies.