McFred as a midfield duo heading into 2022/23 season

Remember the geese

A scandal. Its as if people forget last season. Jesus imagine this 2 consistently starting at bayern Munich, or real Madrid or City or juventus. Its absolutely staggering that the club is managed the way it is and people still make excuses
How about it isn't a scandal? How about McTominay isn't a starter? Is that a bit better? That's the reality. No idea why people think that McTominay is a starter this season.

Jacob

Pretty sure that ten Hag wants to play with one 6 and two 8's. Fred is going to be used in the De Jong role until either De Jong signs, or we sign an alternative. It's possible for this game that Bruno starts up front, but that won't be happening long term and McTominay starting won't be a long term solution either. Anyway, I think it's just as likely that Rashford will start up front against Brighton and we will see a McTominay-free midfield.
I hope you're right. McT was the weakest link last season. Think he can be better as an 8 than a 6.

SER19

How about it isn't a scandal? How about McTominay isn't a starter? Is that a bit better? That's the reality. No idea why people think that McTominay is a starter this season.
They've already been consistent starters for years. At very least they will feature massively this season. Without signings, no midfield trio you name is remotely good enough for a club of this size and yes it's absolutely scandalous how far the clubs and some fans standards have fallen

Remember the geese

I hope you're right. McT was the weakest link last season. Think he can be better as an 8 than a 6.
I'm fairly confident that the plan is/was to play a De Jong, Eriksen, Fernandes midfield with Fred being firmly in the mix too. You're right on both counts regarding McTominay.

Remember the geese

They've already been consistent starters for years. At very least they will feature massively this season. Without signings, no midfield trio you name is remotely good enough for a club of this size and yes it's absolutely scandalous how far the clubs and some fans standards have fallen
Fred is a very good player. No need to tar him with the same brush as McTominay. Fred will feature massively. We have made a signing, Christian Eriksen. This signing pushes McTominay down the pecking order. We need one more and we have been endeavouring to accomplish this for months on end. De Jong, Eriksen and Fernandes is a pretty good midfield, with Fred being a heavy part of the rotation. Let's hope it happens.

Alemar

Unlike Fred (who is often a starter and always squad member for Brazil), McTominay doesn’t suit ETH football one bit. There are no reasons to believe he will feature a lot

RedAlert27

I wish I shared the same optimism some of our fans have that Ten Hag is going to transform McFred into a brilliant pairing. They were awful together last season. Teams were literally walking past them, the gaps left between attack and defence were insane. Playing Eriksen with Fred or McT in CM I fear is going to be just as bad.

AndySmith1990

Unlike Fred (who is often a starter and always squad member for Brazil), McTominay doesn’t suit ETH football one bit. There are no reasons to believe he will feature a lot
There's a pretty big reason to believe he will start a lot... lack of depth in midfield

cyberman

Not even sure this is true since Eriksen will be playing in the 2

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We could bring De Jong, Rice and another in and we'd still available Mcfred 90% of games.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Probably because we have 2 outright centre mids in the whole squad, let 2 others go and Eriksen is still to be seen where he fits in.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
People who think McTominay will be dropped are setting themselves for a big disappointment.
Fred will be a regular starter, as he should be, and unless we play some absolute bollards, so will McTominay. I actually expect Scott to have more minutes than last season (assuming we don't add a midfielder, what seems the most likely scenario right now).

There is no way Eriksen will be a regular starter in midfield two, he never played that role, and that's not why we got him. Not without a proper DM behind, which we don't have.

Eriksen is not Pogba replacement. He's here to give the team another option in no10 position, as he's a very different player to Bruno.

The only chance to drop McTominay is if van de Beek improves and takes this second midfield place. That is quite possible. He for sure will have plenty chances this season.

Eplel

Some people here like to pretend that footballers have 0 flexibility and adaptability, and that our system is 100% rigid with no fluidity at all. It's infuriating.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Some people here like to pretend that footballers have 0 flexibility and adaptability, and that our system is 100% rigid with no fluidity at all. It's infuriating.
On the other hand, we should learn from Paul Pogba situation and accept we can't expect players to bend to the system which clearly isn't what they are suited for.

Eplel

On the other hand, we should learn from Paul Pogba situation and accept we can't expect players to bend to the system which clearly isn't what they are suited for.
I wouldn't compare the Pogba situation with anyone else, because he actively contributed to the mess with his unprofessionalism and shitty behaviour. He is quite flexible as a footballer, but he put 0 effort in it with us.

Speako

It’s a simple question of talent. Both players have a ceiling, which is unfortunately below the level we require. It’s nothing personal, in fact it’s slightly infuriating as they actually have the best mindset and mentality amongst the whole squad. Unfortunately that isn’t matched with world class ability.

RedAlert27

To be honest, I think there is quite a few players in our team with zero flexibility and limited in their abilities. We are missing a few all rounders who can do a bit of everything.

foolsgold

How can we know we have an effective manager at this point of the season that can transform McFred into at least decent midfielders? From the 5 pre-season friendlies?
Only competitive matches can indicate if they can actually be better. Same goes for Dalot, Martial, DVB.
No, from his record at Ajax. It suggests that EtH is a dedicated student of the game that works on improving players. As opposed to going into last season under Ole. We also appear to have a more harmonious squad with the more poisonous figures shipped out.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't mind it because I really want to see Iqbal and Savage play a lot. And I really like Eriksen.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
They haven't been our best midfielders during the pre-season, so doesn't make sense to start them.
I hope and think that's how ETH thinks aswell. I'd genuinely be happy if one of the youngsters who did do well in the pre-season matches starts.

Eplel

I hope and think that's how ETH thinks aswell. I'd genuinely be happy if one of the youngsters who did do well in the pre-season matches starts.
He did say in a recent interview that if we cannot find the players we want, we will develop them. So that's hopeful.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
He did say in a recent interview that if we cannot find the players we want, we will develop them. So that's hopeful.
As a new manager he should judge the players by how they play under him, not by who the previous managers played.
I know it's not popular around here, but personally i prefer McT as a player over Fred, but i hope none of them start.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Love you both. Not your fault that we have not bought better players.

Try your best whenever you are picked.

Remember the geese

Probably because we have 2 outright centre mids in the whole squad, let 2 others go and Eriksen is still to be seen where he fits in.
Pretty clear that Eriksen will be used as a number 8, similar to Bruno. Fred and McTominay are best suited to that role too. So what we actually have are four senior number 8's and zero senior number 6's. Fred will play that role if need be. McTominay will be his deputy and cover for Eriksen and Bruno.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Pretty clear that Eriksen will be used as a number 8, similar to Bruno. Fred and McTominay are best suited to that role too. So what we actually have are four senior number 8's and zero senior number 6's. Fred will play that role if need be. McTominay will be his deputy and cover for Eriksen and Bruno.
Which is how ETH mainly played with Ajax. Alvarez was the exception partially due to a lack of better option.

Last edited:

Borys

Statistics Wizard
To be honest, I think there is quite a few players in our team with zero flexibility and limited in their abilities. We are missing a few all rounders who can do a bit of everything.
Actually I believe the only "zero flexibility" players are Bruno and AWB. Maybe ETH can work on Bruno but IMO this is what he is.
The rest is quite flexible, but the problem is we want to push it too hard. Fred is not a DM/single pivot although he can "do the job there" , Eriksen is not a CM in 2 man midfield although he can "do the job there", Rashford is not a natural winger although he can "do the job there", so on and so on. I do not think the way forward is to push players out of position because we need to squeeze all attacking players on the pitch. It is quite a popular idea on the Caf though.

Speako

Fred sure, but McT is far from it. His game is utterly lazy and timid. He hides behind the opponents most of the time.
Can’t argue that’s the case a lot of the time with Scott. But he’s also had games driving us forward and clearly loves the club. Not sure it’s particularly an attitude problem, he’s just not good enough and knows it. Hence, he lacks confidence and hides.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Fred is a very good player and gets unfairly lumped in with McTominay.
I remember reading countless times about how Fred couldn't make a 5 yard pass in our matchday threads for last 3 years. Maybe if he's surrounded by high quality midfielders, he can get away with his flaws. Not right now.