McTominay at CB?

El-Manos

You can tell we had a horrible transfer window when all these "x player should/could play there" threads start popping up.

Paul_Scholes18

In a 3 man defense then I think yes. Not sure we are going to use that though. It suits Maguire though to get more help around him.
Telles is a good wingback too. Not so sure about AWB.
Could use for next game.
Henderson
Mctominay Lindelöf Maguire
AWB Matic Fred Telles
Bruno
Greenwood Rashford

Slysi17

Well heck he would be better than Harry Maguire. Can't be any worse.

Dante

Average bang
He finished one of his last performances for United at RB. And he's played as the CB in a back 3 for both Mourinho and Ole on several occasions.

I don't think McTominay's anywhere near ready to be a CB it in a back 4. But in a back 3 where he's able to press opposition forwards and make breaks into midfield, he'd do quite well, imo.

In my ideal imaginary back 3 (with attacking wingbacks on either side), I previously talked about how my lineup would be:

Shaw-Maguire-McTominay

A lot of ifs, buts and maybes to get all 3 of them trained up to play those roles effectively of course. But I really feel as though if they can make the transition, we could potentially replicate Sheffield United's overlapping centrebacks. All their natural games are already fairly close to what would be required. It could not only strengthen us defensively, but also in terms of being able to bypass teams who try to high press.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town

Jibbs

I have thought about it many times and under the right coach I think he can.

Paul_Scholes18

We paid £80m for Maguire, who needs more help around him. Sad times indeed.
Yeah, but I think going with a more defensive team for the next 3 games should work well.
Just to get us going again and give stability.
Then with Cavani and Martial back fully we could maybe try to attack fully if we have more confidence.

We have played with 3 defenders before so it is nothing new.

baskinginthesun

Played there twice for Scotland now. Could he play there twice for Manchester United as well?
Probably because Scotland doesn't have any CB's. However, he has done alright there when played (for Scotland anyway).

NoPace

If Pep were here he'd probably play him at CB, and a 6/8 of his size moving to CB isn't rare. Doesn't seem to have gotten high ratings there today for Scotland, but I'd have no problems with trying it here, though I also think his obvious job is just to be the backup #6 here for a good long while.

Reiver

After watching both his matches there for Scotland, I think its something to stay well clear of doing. We're bad enough without starting a CM at CB, I dont know what Clarke has been thinking.

cyril C

After watching both his matches there for Scotland, I think its something to stay well clear of doing. We're bad enough without starting a CM at CB, I dont know what Clarke has been thinking.
Mourinho did that before, when he absolutely could not trust any of his CB.

SambaBoy

He was pretty bad there for Scotland in the previous game. Can't see him being good enough there long term.

RashyForPM

No. He played atrociously there against West Ham in 2018. I usually don’t feel bad for professional footballers as for their wages, they should be able to adapt, but with McTominay, he was so clearly out of his depth I felt sorry for him, despite Mourinho’s praise before and after the game.

Never again please, I’d rather see Maguire continue there.

Stretender

If we want to progress and be a serious team, McTominnay should be nowhere near the first team.

There is nothing in his game that suggests that he will be a top player. A Paddy McNair or Tyler Blackett level player

Let's stop over hyping these average academy players and go out there and recruit better players. No wonder we still have Jones and Rojo on the books but they contribute nothing.

There should be no room for Sentimental FC at Old Trafford . It annoys me alot because these decisions impact on our transfer business. Failing to shift the deadwood is the reason Ed did not want to spend on Sancho and Central defender this summer.

We spend hours over rating our players here it's like we live in a weird bubble of our own , but as soon as these players are put for Sale no one wants to buy them. We then start crying about why Ed is not spending money. The reason is there for all to see. We have packed our squad with average players on big wages.

You know we are a messed up club when players like Rojo and Jones would rather sit on their backsides and run down their contracts instead of taking a pay cut and accepting reasonable transfers.

We do not seem to have learnt any lessons at all over the past 8 years which is very worrying.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
He was pretty bad there for Scotland in the previous game. Can't see him being good enough there long term.
Pretty bad is putting it lightly, he was awful.
Not his fault as it was a new position for him and he had no one around him to guide.

Most defensive minded mids are able to drop back into a central defensive role comfortable, Carrick did on occasions, we've seen it with Fabinho and Fernandinho.
My issue is McT just doesn't strike me as a defensive minded midfielder, he seems better driving forward.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
If Pep were here he'd probably play him at CB, and a 6/8 of his size moving to CB isn't rare. Doesn't seem to have gotten high ratings there today for Scotland, but I'd have no problems with trying it here, though I also think his obvious job is just to be the backup #6 here for a good long while.
If Pep were here he would never play him at all :lol:. McT is a bit too limited on the ball for Pep's liking

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
In 352 yes but with 4 at the back no.
But his best position is on transfer list.

Traub

We have to go 3 at the back after the Spurs game. I seem to remember SAF going quite defensive and grinding out results after that City mauling. With 3 at the back, I'd just randomly pick out of all our CB's, not like they any different from each other.

Traub

2 of who'm he bought for reference.
Yip, and now Ole has bought 3 of his back 4 if we include Telles. If he can't get this to work, I have no sympathy for him just like I had no sympathy for Jose.

BR7

There’s a reason why he’s playing at CB for Scotland. We have issues but nowhere near as bad as Scotland do.

EdinburghDevil

He had a bit of a stinker when he 1st played that role for Scotland. However, it was a fairly new system and he had never played there before.

He was much improved last night. All the players seemed to know the system a little better, they're jobs in the team which helped I think. He seemed to be the one in the back 3 who pushed in to midfield when attacking and then dropped back in nicely when defending. Certainly appeared to me as the most forward thinking if you like of the back 3.

Reactions: Penna

Bwuk

No. Apart from yesterday he hasn’t looked comfortable at all at CB for Scotland.

Maybe in a back 4 but never a 3.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Yeah, I see us ending with him and Shaw being our CB pairing at one point.

On the other hand Dier also went from being a bang average midfielder to becoming a decent CB so maybe this route is also an option for McTominay.

EdinburghDevil

He was playing Israel. They're probably League One level. It's a different story in the PL.
I'd say that's unfair on Israeli players. A lot of that squad are playing in top flight Dutch, Spanish, German leagues. Also a couple in the Scottish Prem, which granted you could argue is closer to League 1 level.

NoPace

If Pep were here he would never play him at all :lol:. McT is a bit too limited on the ball for Pep's liking
I think he'd give a giant CM who's not terrible on the ball a shot at CB before selling him off. We don't exactly have Koeman and Bonucci back there at the moment.