McTominay at CB?

Mark Pawelek

Of course not. Players can't just change position and learn new positions overnight. Ever were we to put McTominay at CB we'd need to send him out on loan for a year while he learns the new job. He played badly for Scotland there; they lost the game. Likewise when he played emergency CB for United last season he made a mistake which led to a goal.

remo

I remember Mou tried Scott in CB position and he was bad (but it was at least 2 years ago).

klsv

Team should be

--------------------------Fred
Pogba - McTominay - Greenwood - Cavani
--------------------Martial - Rashford
----------- Lindelöf - De Gea - Maguire
------------------------ Matic

But knowing Ole... :rolleyes:

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Been on Redcafe for 15 years plus. A lot of things have changed but there are two constants.
1. Transfer muppertry
2. An unhealthy obsession in playing players out of position

To answer the OP; Manchester United shouldn't play an average CM at CB.

Paul_Scholes18

Been on Redcafe for 15 years plus. A lot of things have changed but there are two constants.
1. Transfer muppertry
2. An unhealthy obsession in playing players out of position

To answer the OP; Manchester United shouldn't play an average CM at CB.
It often worked under SAF though and even after. We have Oshea playing everywhere. Carrick as central defender. Jones in midfield, Smalling as fullback.
Young and Valencia as fullbacks/wingbacks. Giggs in central midfield. Rooney in central midfield. Blind as a central defender.
Park having many different roles etc.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You can tell we had a horrible transfer window when all these "x player should/could play there" threads start popping up.
It is one of the more irritating of red cafe obsessions.

Scholsey2004

McTominay can play CB and did for Scotland recently. When he's played there he hasn't typically been too involved in the possession side of things, probably unsurprisingly since in midfield he doesn't either. Nowadays, with the emphasis on ball-playing centre backs you certainly wouldn't sign him to play there for you if he was at another club.

MrSingh2002

Good shout I feel. Haven't ever thought it but he has alot of attributes that could make him a successful CB.

He'd probably rather make the adjustment to CB and play every week than be on the bench anyway.

Would love the season to end with Tuanzebe, McTominay and Mengi as the first choices. One can dream.

united for life

Let’s not waste his career by playing him out of position! We have a CB problem, we should’ve went out there and buy a CB

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
He had a bit of a stinker when he 1st played that role for Scotland. However, it was a fairly new system and he had never played there before.

He was much improved last night. All the players seemed to know the system a little better, they're jobs in the team which helped I think. He seemed to be the one in the back 3 who pushed in to midfield when attacking and then dropped back in nicely when defending. Certainly appeared to me as the most forward thinking if you like of the back 3.
Yeah well summarised. His passing through the lines into the feet of the strikers was decent as well.

Reiver

After watching him again tonight I'm starting to change my mind. As part of a back 3? Yes, I think he can do it.

ghagua

Normally would say no, but with the shite we have to play that position, why not.

baskinginthesun

After watching him again tonight I'm starting to change my mind. As part of a back 3? Yes, I think he can do it.
He's shown, over the last 3 games with Scotland, that it is role he could potentially play. But, I agree, it has to be in a back 3 so that he can slot into the midfield when on the attack.

lex talionis

I appreciate the desperation, but no. McTominay isn’t a CB and we can’t down the road of putting players in situations that could crack them as footballers.

RashyForPM

Genuinely would do no worse than Maguire, Lindelof, Rojo or Jones. Put him there against Newcastle.

Enfant terrible

Sofascore gave him 7.4 for last night.
Wish our CB-s got above 7 grades for their performance

quethenoo

He was pretty good again last night, some good clearances and headers, and passed the ball out well generally. Properly under the cosh for the second half too, how Scotland didn't concede is a minor miracle.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
He was pretty good again last night, some good clearances and headers, and passed the ball out well generally. Properly under the cosh for the second half too, how Scotland didn't concede is a minor miracle.
Be funny if they win the group but it's looking quite likely now. Czechs had to change their entire squad in the first leg due to COVID, but this time they fecked up properly.

quethenoo

Be funny if they win the group but it's looking quite likely now. Czechs had to change their entire squad in the first leg due to COVID, but this time they fecked up properly.
Yep, looks like we actually might do it, remarkable considering the doom and gloom not long ago. Huge slice of luck in both games against the Czechs it has to be said, but as the expression goes, I'd rather be lucky than good. Which is just as well really :lol:

Tarrou

I'm starting to warm to this idea a bit;

• He's been solid there for Scotland
  • We have loads of centre midfielders
  • We now have Telles to provide width on the left
  • We now have four strikers to rotate in the front two
  • Option to play Shaw CB where we lack pace
  • Our options/depth on the wing is pretty rubbish
  • We're struggling to get two out of Pogba/Bruno/VDB in a formation that works

I'm not saying it will definitely work but I'd like to see us try it once or twice

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He was dropping back in to defence to create a back 3 when necessary which allowed players like AWB to stay high and wide whilst giving the rest of midfielders some freedom too.

Think it could work & I'm open to the idea too.

jeepers

He had a bit of a stinker when he 1st played that role for Scotland. However, it was a fairly new system and he had never played there before.

He was much improved last night. All the players seemed to know the system a little better, they're jobs in the team which helped I think. He seemed to be the one in the back 3 who pushed in to midfield when attacking and then dropped back in nicely when defending. Certainly appeared to me as the most forward thinking if you like of the back 3.
Ole should adopt this system as well. 3 at the back with wingbacks, when in attacking transition, Maguire can push higher since he’s “good on the ball” (haven’t seen any evidence of that), and the remaining two covers Maguire’s lack of pace.

Red4Life_#7

People were laughing at the idea of him playing DM, saying he's not one and could only play as a box to box CM, now CB is in the picture. Glad to see people finally waking up to McT very good defensive abilities.

He could defo play there for us, especially in a 3. We need more quality there and Lindelof thou good on the ball doesn't offer enough defensively imo. Train up the McT!!