McTominay or Fred - Who's the better DM?

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
As the title suggests really. Who's the better DM between the 2?

My eyes say Fred, but I like McTominay's game more.

What say the caf? Also, what say the statisticians? I'd be super interested to get some stats for them both on this topic. Heat maps, tackles, interceptions etc etc.

Carl

How long until someone says they're "not DMs". Which is fine, and I know they're not true DMs, but that's not what I'm asking :)

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Fred.

McTominay is better box to box.

Andersons Dietician

Given the amount of times McT has stood by and watched a dangerous situation materialise infront of him and done nothing about it which has led to 2-3 goals against us I’ll say Fred.

Lentwood

McTominay for me.

More of a goal threat, better at receiving and shielding the ball in his own half, physically more imposing. Doesn’t keep shooting from 30 yards twice a game every game.

Carl

McTominay for me.

More of a goal threat, better at receiving and shielding the ball in his own half, physically more imposing. Doesn’t keep shooting from 30 yards twice a game every game.
I think McTominay is having the kind of season Fred had last year. He's improved loads.

Siorac

Fred is better at almost everything except shooting and in the air. It's not that he's great, it's just that McTominay is quite limited.

Eddy_JukeZ

I don't think highly of McTominay at all.

I'll go Fred, but ideally we'd upgrade on both.

Stevondo8

As a DM, it’s Fred. McT is much more effective when he’s released and able to go more box-to-box.

davidmichael

Fred is better if one of them HAD to play as a defensive midfielder BUT as already said that would someone would say it NEITHER of them are a defensive midfielder at all which is why they’re primarily paired together, when used together it’s as close to a balance as we can get but to kick on we need to sign a pure out and out defensive midfielder so we can play Pogba AND Fernandes consistently in big games and play to win rather than play not to lose.

FcUnitedRed

Supports
Glazers Out
Neither are proper DM's but if i had to make a choice, would definitely be McTom all day long for me. Apart from running round like a headless chicken fred offers absolutely nothing in my eyes.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I think it depends what you want from your DM. Obviously neither of them are the complete package at DM hence why everyone says they aren't one.

Fred is better at winning back the ball and harrying opponents, whilst McTominay is better in the air and without looking at stats I'd say he's better at progressing the ball forward, and generally looking after the ball better than Fred who seems to get dispossessed way too often.

I don't feel like Fred's touch would allow him to play DM, he regularly over runs the ball or takes too heavy a touch that sets the opposition away on a counter attack. Having an offensively minded midfielder next to him would mean those counter attacks are straight at our 2 central defenders every time.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Neither are proper DM's but if i had to make a choice, would definitely be McTom all day long for me. Apart from running round like a headless chicken fred offers absolutely nothing in my eyes.
That’s a ridiculous assessment, he’s one of the best ball winners in the league.

Ekeke

Fred is a slightly better DM but he's weak in the air and our CBs need the help on set pieces in the air. So thats a big mark against him for our team in particular. He's also 4 years older and I'm sure McTominay will be better at the same age

McTominay has the better bonuses that dont fall into the DM category, like scoring goals

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
McTominay somehow weirdly disappears on the pitch from time to time, even though I can't really blame his effort. So if we're talking about defending midfielders, I'd certainly pick Fred, even though he's quite a weird one — he plays in way that Kanté and Casemiro do, trying to cover the whole pitch with his constant running, but he lacks a bit in quality, physicality and defensive nous to do that consistently on a top level without making glaring mistakes.

McTominay's biggest strength from what he has shown so far is his very good knack at scoring goals, from inside and outside of the box — but that's not the first thing you look at when you evaluate your defensive midfielders.

together they make one good DM
Pretty much this.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Fred.

But McTominay is the better player and the one we should be keeping.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Given the amount of times McT has stood by and watched a dangerous situation materialise infront of him and done nothing about it which has led to 2-3 goals against us I’ll say Fred.
This is one reason why it is Fred. To be fair he will have a face-palm moment occasionally and that has led to chances and goals, but those are coming less frequently since he’s settled in.

Redlyn

Mc T is the better box to box and Fred is the better DM.

Redlyn

Fred offers nothing? How can someone hold that point of view while watching all our games.

laughtersassassin

Fred a better DM because McTominay isn't a DM at all even though we play him there.

That said neither are good enough at DM alone.

That's why we must sign a DM who doesn't require another DM to play alongside him.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
together they make one good DM, so it's a tie
Nailed it

I've always considered Fred to be better as he tends to have superior technical qualities but he's also often a complete mess whereas Mctominay can offer something going forward. So feck it, I can't be bothered.

They're the poor man's midfield version of Valencia-Young, emblematic of tryers who lack quality. (Although peak Valencia was very good)

OT_United

If the debate was who is the better player, McTominay wins by a country mile. Fred may have better defensive qualities, mainly his interceptions, and persistent tackling. But as an all round central midfielder, and one that fits in this Ole team, it’s got to be Scott. Fred has virtually no creative passing ability whatsoeverand gives the ball away way too cheaply. Would like to see a McTominay-Pogba partnership tested in the remaining games of the season, especially against weaker oppositions.

Andersons Dietician

I feel like you cursed Fred with this given his performance so far today.

To be fair he will have a face-palm moment occasionally and that has led to chances and goals, but those are coming less frequently since he’s settled in.
Hasn’t made these kind of stupid errors for a while.

Lentwood

McTominay for me.

See what happens when we use Fred as the “receiver”?

My eyes don’t lie he’s not good enough on the ball. It’s one thing not having the best range of passing, Fred can’t shield and protect the ball in key areas

FcUnitedRed

Supports
Glazers Out
That’s a ridiculous assessment, he’s one of the best ball winners in the league.
And also one of, if not, THE best at flippantly losing the ball and giving away possession too.

FcUnitedRed

Supports
Glazers Out
Fred offers nothing? How can someone hold that point of view while watching all our games.
Seriously, apart from some side to side passing (which 99.9%) of us in the caf could do and a tackle here and there. What does he ACTUALLY offer to this team. His overall stats don't back this theory up. Sorry.

Genuinely, hand on heart. Do you honestly think that we could win trophies with him in the side?

passing-wind

Mctomminay will survive the test of time I reckon. Fred is too limited for the level the club should be aspiring to be at.

Lentwood

Seriously, apart from some side to side passing (which 99.9%) of us in the caf could do and a tackle here and there. What does he ACTUALLY offer to this team. His overall stats don't back this theory up. Sorry.

Genuinely, hand on heart. Do you honestly think that we could win trophies with him in the side?
You are correct. As I have said, he offers nothing that 90% of PL midfielders couldn’t offer.

Has his uses, specifically big games were we are likely to have less of the ball, however, he’s one of the weakest players in the squad on the ball

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
They have their uses but both are too chaotic for a controlled midfield.

Redlyn

Fred needs to be upgraded, that much I agree. But that wasn't the point was it. Offers nothing is what I dont agree with, he's been vital for us. He's decent at his job, just not good enough to be a starter going forward for a team of our ambitions. And if you think most of us could do want he does then it's your opinion which is hugely underrating him.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
He seems to think it's normal and acceptable for a centre midfielder, let alone one playing for a big club, to be losing the ball carelessly every single game.

Dante

Average bang
McTominay.

A big difference between the two is that McTominay can also score goals. Yes, that makes him a bit more box-to-box. But it merely adds to his base DM abilities, which are superior to Fred's in the first place.

Eplel

They're both extremely limited. None should be a starter in United.