Mctominay shouldn't start games in midfield for a top10 team

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
The same can be said for Maguire AwB Shaw Matic Fred etc

The team is sh!t.

The club is run sh!t.

The leeches should be chased out but they wont be.

We are at least 4/5 years away from challenging and thats assuming we get in a really good manager, but when the end of season comes and we have no CL football next season will we get a top manager?
We certainly wont get the top players coming without CL football.

JeffFromHK

You guys are very harsh on him. He is a warrior who gave his best for the club.

He sprints every single yard like Rooney and Suarez when our opponents get a counter attack.
He is always so concentrated that he rarely let opponents run past him
He never hides from the ball when his teammates need options.
He trains so hard that his freekicks, crossing, shooting, passing have improved so much since he got promoted from our academy.

I tried my best to LARP a "real" Man Utd fan who never turns against its players

RedDevil@84

I don't understand the moan. We don't have any midfielders who are young and fit to play a DM role. It was quite obvious we needed a CDM. We had one full summer window and a winter window to get one. But people who decide our incomings didnt do anything. We did jackshit. So here we are.
We don't even try to get a low key DM who could do a job.

We have a broken team. And it will continue to be like this, until we have some sort of a plan on what we want to do and how we want next few years to be.

jesperjaap

Valuable player? Seriously? Fighter? Let him do boxing then, he is a shit player. Fred isnt great either but you can at least see he upped his tempo and improved a bit under RR, mctominay is another Lingard, the only place he should playing at is the Gulag
Look, neither of them are good enough to start. I dont rate either of them.

One was an academy player one cost 50m, that is part of the discussion. We need to get rid of loads of players, inclujding bignames in my opinion. SO we do maybe need to hold on to certain players, who arent on huge contracts, are loyal and understand the club and who will play 10-15games a season without kickign up a fuss. That is why I woul dkeep him over certain players far more valuable who havent performed. We need to rebuild the first eleven, Ferguson had several pretty average players who were valuable to the squad, he saw that importance

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
He is another one who speaks well and acts well but is letdown because he is simply not good enough at football.

I still think his character makes him a valuable squad member but we need to get someone else there to start ahead of him

TsuWave

look at Mctominay. look at Mctominay, look

copen1945

It is all about passion, really. When Cancelo was being fancy and tippy-tappy toward the end of the match, he fouled and shouted at him. I would prefer a bit more awareness of space. For Man City's first goal, he needlessly chased the ball carrier, and other United defensive players were left to react and cover the open spaces. Passion, though, is the most important of all qualities of a footballer, according to some and United hierarchy.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
McTominay shouldn’t be anywhere near starting for us, or even be a squad option. It’s a massive symptom of how shocking our recruitment has been, how we’ve under invested in midfield and and how we are being run.

Litch

He is what he is. He doesn‘t pick himself so people need to take that up with the managers that consistently have. Im guessing that managers pick players that they trust, that will follow their instructions and that will amount to winning games otherwise, why would they pick them. I don’t subscribe to the club not giving the managers the money cause if he and Fred are that shite, then you don’t need a lot of money to replace them.

It’s not my logic, it’s factual. Scott’s now had 4 different managers, all completely different and they have picked him. I’m not a fan but they appear to be. Maybe Scott and Fred aren’t the issue?

finneh

Against the top several teams, particularly away from home, he needs to play with both Fred and Matic. The former two are not defensive midfielders and they will be relentlessly exposed against top midfielders.

I'm not saying we'd have beat City with a front 6 of McTominay-Matic-Fred with possibly Elanga-Bruno-Sancho in front; but at least we'd have have players in their correct positions not being hung out to dry.

McTominay is a good player when playing in his correct position against decent opposition. He's workable playing out of position against mediocre opposition. He's obviously abominable playing out of position against the best midfield on the planet.

As a club we've gotten this exact formula wrong relentlessly the last decade. Playing players out of position, against top players playing in their favoured position; and declaring them useless. Fellaini who's just been mentioned was a decent number 10 in the PL but was played as a holding midfielder and was also embarrassed against good players played in their preferred positions.

We only have one first team number 6 in the squad; playing anyone else in that position against good opposition will cost us again and again.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
McTominay is not the best player we have by any means but in my view he’s one of the more honest ones. At least he fffing tries.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Remember all the names I was called when making these same points. I’ve seen this thread coming for 4 or 5 years. I mean, opinions are what they are, and it isn’t about being smug, but I recall all sorts of names and insinuations that were being thrown at those who didn’t sign up to caf consensus.

Hopefully we have a brand new midfield next season.

United in sin

You guys are very harsh on him. He is a warrior who gave his best for the club.

He sprints every single yard like Rooney and Suarez when our opponents get a counter attack.
He is always so concentrated that he rarely let opponents run past him
He never hides from the ball when his teammates need options.
He trains so hard that his freekicks, crossing, shooting, passing have improved so much since he got promoted from our academy.

I tried my best to LARP a "real" Man Utd fan who never turns against its players
He lazily strolls around often when he fails to spot danger, like before City's first goal.

padzilla

Hipster
He is average to good at best - it's not really his fault that other midfielders have failed to improve us - he is a prime example of someone with limited ability getting a game because he works hard.

Trex

He has his qualities like driving in space, striking the ball, aerial duel, but a United starter should have more to his game.
He finds himself in the same situation as Lingard previously were the bigger signings haven't lived up to expectations so we had to rely on him to do a job, he would be liked if he was a sub coming in every now and then to do a job but as a permanent starter he leaves much to be desired.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Pathetic player. Championship level at best.

Finishes the half with 4 less passes than de Gea. I swear if Ten Haag doesn't see that there are dozens of midfielders better than him in PL alone, then he will finish same as Ole. Replacing him should be a top priority, he shouldn't be anywhere near the squad, let alone first XI.

Edit: also zero defensive output, zeros on every possible defensive stat.

Tyrion

I swear if Ten Haag doesn't see that there are dozens of midfielders better than him in PL alone, then he will finish same as Ole. Replacing him should be a top priority,
We have several players who need replacing. Can't blame ETH for that.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Are you serious right now? The most important area of the pitch and the manager goes with the bs of Frenkie or nothing? Get someome from Nottingham ffs that player would be better.

AFC NimbleThumb

Pathetic player. Championship level at best.

Finishes the half with 4 less passes than de Gea. I swear if Ten Haag doesn't see that there are dozens of midfielders better than him in PL alone, then he will finish same as Ole. Replacing him should be a top priority, he shouldn't be anywhere near the squad, let alone first XI.

Edit: also zero defensive output, zeros on every possible defensive stat.
Fans justifying his crap for years deserve it.

space

He should never play for us again - I mean I can't belive what I'm seeing in midfield

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
There are at least some options for every positions to rotate, even if those are shite players, but for some reason we are starting Mctominay several years in a row without anyone to replace him even though there is literally nothing to replace it.

Put AWB there and at least he would be more useful defensively.

Conor

Half the forum will tell you we shouldn't sign Neves because he's not world class, when we've to watch McTominay start games :houllier:

AFC NimbleThumb

Half the forum will tell you we shouldn't sign Neves because he's not world class, when we've to watch McTominay start games :houllier:
Same with Tielemans. I’m done listening to people who will shout how bad X player is then tell other posters the merits of these frauds.