McTominay signed new contract - 2025 + option to extend for 1 year

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I guess he's gone from reserves, prospect to a regular first team player in the last 3 years. So he's getting a payrise to match his current value in the team.
This is the correct answer. The contract not only stipulates length and salary terms, but also affirms his position in the squad as a first team regular.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
I've got no problem with this. I've got no problem with this. I've got no problem with this. I've got no problem with this. I've got no problem with this. I've got no problem with this. I've got no problem with this. I've got no problem with this. I've got no problem with this. I've got no problem with this. I've got no problem with this. I've got no problem with this. I've got no problem with this. I've got no problem with this. I've got no problem with this. I've got no problem with this. I've got no problem with this. I've got no problem with this. I've got no problem with this. I've got no problem with this. I've got no problem with this. I've got no problem with this. I've got no problem with this. I've got no problem with this.
Are you writing your 'Lines', or are you a budding songwriter??

bsCallout

Good news. Much improved player and will be useful for us. I appreciate some complain about his overall level but ever team needs players like this to keep it together.
When I see those complaints I can't help but think of vital players like Milner, Henderson, Fernandinho, Fletcher etc. Who didn't show near McTs quality at that same age.

berbasloth4

all the excitement for a centre midfielder who struggles to pass to a red shirt.

Gives 100% yes but thats not enough and Manchester United. Just like another Herrera

Nikelesh Reddy

Great news.I”ve been pleasantly surprised to see his development over the last 18 months....He’s definitely going to be an important part of this squad over the next few years...

RUCK4444

all the excitement for a centre midfielder who struggles to pass to a red shirt.

Gives 100% yes but thats not enough and Manchester United. Just like another Herrera
Harsh there bud. He's made great progress, of course it's nice to have the more fluid attack minded players but we have those in Bruno and Pogba. Scott gives us something a bit different. I like his tenacity and energy. He's a workhorse, but even the good teams need them.

hubbuh

Not since Mourinho ostentatiously high clapped that sideways pass.
He's not demonstrated enough to be an undisputed starter for us in CM but he's definitely an effective and useful squaddie. Sounds like he'll be on relatively low wages, too. Stonks!

SirAnderson

first thing I thought of when I saw this was the reaction to the last time he signed

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/scott-mctominay-extends-contract-til-2023.444543/

anyway great news, he's been fantastic for us
Crazy how people quickly throw away players cause they not shiny enough. Wonder if he still holds this position.

Geez
Scott McNothing. He wouldn't fit in at Wolves. I dont care if he is our Youth player. Keane was our youth player. McNair. Blackett. All dross who are not good enough. Its funny how Edward Woodward believes he knows enough about football to hand out contracts but when it comes to making new signings he wants to wait until we get a new manager. The leeches at the top are loving this. OGS in charge and our fans thinking promoting 18 year olds and handing out contracts to dross will win us a title. OGS could be the right man but some of you suffer with delusions. 'if they're good enough they're old enough'. The class of 92 had ready made stars in the squad to guide them. Who do we have? Come the summer and we only sign two players from these positions CB, DM, Fullback and a RW because we have 'youth'. We have Mctominay for DM. Chong for RW. Tuanzebe back for CB. Laird for RB. These excuses from our own fans play into the glazernomics.

Red4Life_#7

He will be the backbone of this team soon. Great news!!

Academy players, this is inspirational.

Now we have Pogba and Bruno together, I would love to see Mc T in a more defensive role as he has all the attributes to succeed as a DM. Just needs to work on a range of different passes to control the game for us.

Untd55

Great, signed a squad player to a new contract. Hopefully, we can sign his first-team replacement in the summer and put him on the seat where he belongs.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Centre mid who's lack of ability on the ball kills us when he plays, just signed a new contract. Meh.

As long as he's not a starter, and this doesn't impact us looking for a full-time replacement for Matic in the summer, i don't really care.

But if we now stop looking for a DM & hand it to McT, then that's not great news at all.

Last edited:

tenpoless

I've got no problem with this. I've got no problem with this. I've got no problem with this. I've got no problem with this. I've got no problem with this. I've got no problem with this. I've got no problem with this. I've got no problem with this. I've got no problem with this. I've got no problem with this. I've got no problem with this. I've got no problem with this. I've got no problem with this. I've got no problem with this. I've got no problem with this. I've got no problem with this. I've got no problem with this. I've got no problem with this. I've got no problem with this. I've got no problem with this. I've got no problem with this. I've got no problem with this. I've got no problem with this. I've got no problem with this.
How do you tell if somebody is lying? repeating words.

OleTheGreat

congratulations to him are in order! he's done a great job and will definitely continue to grow with the quality of midfielders he's exposed to.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
When injuries strike first team like it always does next season, people will return to praising him, because he's that type of player who cares for the team despite being still learner.

With this news perhaps we're getting closer to almost inevitable decision about Pereira and Lingard.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
It's a good move to renew, even if eventually he's a squad player, he's the kind of player that fights for the badge.

Sometimes his choice of passing and range of passes is limited and somewhat of a question mark but how hard he works for the team, his tackling and stamina obviously there are no questions over.

Strelok

We (Everton) have been doing this recently with our players too and I think it's great. It a) Shows players that if they work hard then they will get the rewards b) Gives players an incentive to work hard/potentially want to stay at the club because they see the rewards they can get if they do c) Players who don't play for the club can see from the outside that people who play for us get rewarded which might give them an incentive to join the club.
This is actually very smart. Not only you can reward/motivate the players but you also have more control over them. If a player asks for a too big raise or refuses to sign a new deal, you know it's probably time to sell him and find a replacement.

And the best is you definitely will avoid the situation to be held hostage when a hot player enters his last year. We got that with DDG and ended up paying him 350k a week. Or lost them for free like Herrera.

berbasloth4

Harsh there bud. He's made great progress, of course it's nice to have the more fluid attack minded players but we have those in Bruno and Pogba. Scott gives us something a bit different. I like his tenacity and energy. He's a workhorse, but even the good teams need them.
hes a workhorse but watch him more carefully when we have the ball and all he needs to do is find a bit of space to receive the ball he runs in to an area where he becomes unavailable and when he gets the ball his passing is suspect. Passing and moving is fundamental for any centre midfielder.

RUCK4444

hes a workhorse but watch him more carefully when we have the ball and all he needs to do is find a bit of space to receive the ball he runs in to an area where he becomes unavailable and when he gets the ball his passing is suspect. Passing and moving is fundamental for any centre midfielder.
Yeah agree with bold part of course. But I just don't think he's that limited.

Hopefully he continues the progress he's been making anyway,

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He has been underpaid for so long anyway, I remember his previous salary is on 10k per week, or something? Truly disgraceful back then. I think he should be worth at least 60-70k per week.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Can't see any negative extending his contract. All things considered (age, mentality, quality, position wise), he's a solid investment with more ups than down.

Revan

Assumptionman
Not a world-beater but a quite good player who does the basics right gives it all, and you can always count on him. I don't think that he is a first-team material for a team that aspires winning stuff, but he is definitely a very good squad player (and at the moment we are a team who challenges for top 4, for such a team he is a decent starter).

Totally deserved and based on meritocracy.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Yesterday was probably the best day of his life, well apart from the day he lost his cherry, then the poor lad has a nosey on the Cafe and 75% of the posters are saying great news, now let's sign somebody better so we can stick him on the bench, where he belongs!

Web of Bissaka

Hope he won't get complacent as had happened to plenty of youth players before him.

I'm confident his wages is still at a "modest" level being a United player.

So likely he won't waste his time here.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Hope he won't get complacent as had happened to plenty of youth players before him.

I'm confident his wages is still at a "modest" level being a United player.

So likely he won't waste his time here.
Even ‘modest’ in Man Utd is still considered well paid elsewhere.

For example, our other modest wage level: (Salary per week)
Lindelof 120k
AWB 90k
Bailly 80k
Rojo 80k
Lingard 75k
Jones 75k
Romero 70k
Darmian 45k
Pereira 30k
Chong 30k (recently extended)

Judging from above, Mctominay should be getting at least 70k per week.

Last edited:

Bondi77

When I see those complaints I can't help but think of vital players like Milner, Henderson, Fernandinho, Fletcher etc. Who didn't show near McTs quality at that same age.
I like Scott and I am glad he has got a new long term deal but I can only think you either did not watch Milner at Villa when he as a similar age or you have confused him with some other player. I was really hoping we would sign him back then but he went for the big wages to Citeh and wasted a good portion of his career.

bsCallout

I like Scott and I am glad he has got a new long term deal but I can only think you either did not watch Milner at Villa when he as a similar age or you have confused him with some other player. I was really hoping we would sign him back then but he went for the big wages to Citeh and wasted a good portion of his career.
Perhaps I don't remember him too well but I do know that I personally never fancied him at Utd. I thought he'd gotten better as his career has gone on. I also recall Downing and Young being stars at Villa but not really being that good.

I think my point still stands either way. Particularly in reference to the other two.

The Oracle

I see McTominay in the mould of a Darren Fletcher - good passer of the ball, good tackler, and chips in with goals.

He's cerainly a level above the likes of past players such as Cleverley and Gibson.

He won't ever find himself in the world class bracket, but if he reaches Fletcher's level's (especially the Darren Fletcher of 2008/2009*) then I'd be really happy.

*remember how devastated we all were when he was shown red against Arsenal, and would therefore miss the Champions League final.