McTominay - what’s his potential?

fps

I start to think with McTominay that there have been better players before and after McTominay from the academy that haven’t had a fraction of the opportunities he has had to play for Manchester United before being moved on.

It’s almost the case that he found himself in the squad due to a run of poor midfield recruitment during the worst period of our recent history and now that he has established himself and aggregated a significant number of appearances he simply exists as a Manchester United first team player without anyone at the club seemingly questioning whether that should be the case.

Worse still, he has now somehow over the last couple of seasons inherited the status of first team regular due to the departure of Herrera, the ageing of Matic, the unreliability of Pogba and the failure of Van De Beek. The bar has rarely been lower to start every week for Manchester United.

I like McTominay but it has been a hell of a long time now since he had anything resembling good form for a period of at least 3 games.

It is worrying that this level is rewarded in such a way.
Absolutely. A sign of how no-one at the club has a clue what the standard is any more.

davidmichael

At very VERY best McTominay is a squad player in the mould that the likes of John O’Shea, David May, Mike Phelan, Clayton Blackmore, Raimond Van Der Gouw, Jesper Blomqvist and Quinton Fortune all were although that’s probably being hard on the others I’ve said.

I’d go as far as to say McTominay is one of (if not THE) the most fortunate players to ever come through our academy into the first team as he was only really brought through as a way of Jose trying to make us believe he was all for youth coming through then Herrera left, Pogba was the definition of bi polar and is having the poorest collection of midfielders over the last decade the club has most likely EVER seen.

Why ETH would play him in the system he wants to implement after seeing McTominay in training and matches is beyond me and I’ve tried telling myself that it’s ETH playing McTominay to show the money men just how dire our need for De Jong really is, I’d rather Garner or Zidane play until we either sign De Jong or someone else is brought in as no matter what the question is the answer is never going to be McTominay unless it’s a negative question.

Litch

Scott doesn’t pick himself, it’s not about him, it’s about whoever picks him….

NoPace

Bump

Genuinely confused as to why he's a starter going into the season, De Jong stuff aside. It's too hard to play the kind of football Ten Hag wants to with a CM who doesn't want or know how to get open. It's asking for counter attacks surely.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
McTominay - what’s his potential?

Cleaner, bin-man, office junior at a push.

cyberman

Genuinely confused as to why he's a starter going into the season, De Jong stuff aside. It's too hard to play the kind of football Ten Hag wants to with a CM who doesn't want or know how to get open. It's asking for counter attacks surely.
Its mind boggling. If Zidane played like that we wouldn’t see him until Christmas but because Scott is older he gets picked every week

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Brought into the first team by Jose to prove a point and humiliate Pogba. Bizarrely remained as a starter ever since.

BigDycheEnergy

po·ten·tial | \ pə-ˈten(t)-shəl
1 : existing in possibility : capable of development into actuality

It's a 'no' from me, dawg.

hobbers

I think he could maybe get to the position of team leader at a fast food restaurant. He looks the part.

KD6-3.7

Mourinho is to blame for this. Pretty sure most people around the club were even shocked that he was the 'youth' player he picked to prove his critics wrong. And he's been a starter ever since which is genuinely embarrassing because I don't even think he'd start for a championship team.

r0663664

Worships Man City
McTominay is a nothing player. I hope ETH realise quick and start Iqbal. He only offer header clearance from corners because he is a big lad but he isn't a goal threat at the other end. Him losing the ball gave Brighton the first goal.

Bigsid

The club is run on sentiment. Homegrown players are given game time that they would never get at other clubs. Mctominay a perfect example. Its admirable all these stats that we give chances but not sure many over last few years have come in and improved our side. ETH needs ro be ruthless.

MyDevil

His potential is being booked and getting into a fight!

Yagami

Good post resistant
Brought into the first team by Jose to prove a point and humiliate Pogba. Bizarrely remained as a starter ever since.
Even more bizarre was that people bought into him and praised his performances that season. Even for a kid thrown in at the deep end he was bad.

I was gobsmacked because I watched him for our youth teams and he was awful there, too.

He's had some good moments and games here. More than I ever thought he would because I've never rated him. With that said, he should have never been promoted, never been considered a starter, and probably shouldn't be here now.

This is our standards nowadays, though.

jeepers

Hand up. Before ETH came, I thought one of the players who would react and benefit from his coaching would be McT, but he has proven me wrong. If ETH persists with him, he’s a fool and will only have himself to blame. Throw in the kids. Bring Keano and Scholesy out of retirement. Just stop playing McT. He’s worse than Fred, which doesn’t say much, but he should most definitely be dropped before Fred is.

Until Eriksen was shifted deep yesterday, we were playing without a midfield.

redshaw

If anything he has gone backwards which is sad at his age. He's had some good spells and can score a few goals, should've evolved into something useful at least. 4 years of poor coaching can do that.

He barely looks cognizant out there compared to a few years ago, like he's locked himself into this weird troubled restrictive demeanor.

NoPace

It was Fred who played in the FdJ role today (the 'connector').

For some reason, EtH asked McTominay to play like Kaka bursting into attacking midfield at every opportunity.
I can totally see the logic if he didn't think Cristiano had 90 minutes of fitness in him. The plan was for Eriksen and Bruno to drop deep once we had the ball and for McTominay to get into the 9 position and actually give us an aerial option or one running in behind (he moves well enough in a straight line).

What I don't understand is why it wasn't VDB in the role. Hasn't been great in pre-season but it's another player who's played Ten Hag's way to settle everyone down and he makes better runs off the ball going forward and is more comfortable playing like a 9/10 in possession.

RedDevilQuebecois

His potential is scottish league and thats where we ought to send him asap
I would honestly ship him off to Aberdeen for absolutely nothing. Aberdeen were very close to relegation last season, and that is where McTominay's potential lies.