McTominay - what’s his potential?

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I like the guy. But tall order to become united midfielder. At best I'd say between being our new nicky butt or darren fletcher.
I actually think he’s got potential to be better than both.

Potential being the key word, of course.

Akanni

I don't like comparison, he should just keep being himself and do things in his way, in that way he will always keep improving.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

Lacking in the more finesse aspect of the game. He's more guts and thunder. But off course, happy to be proven wrong.

But hey butt and fletcher at their prime wasnt a pushover. They're bordering world class at their best. Well... not zidane level world class but still

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Lacking in the more finesse aspect of the game. He's more guts and thunder. But off course, happy to be proven wrong.

But hey butt and fletcher at their prime wasnt a pushover. They're bordering world class at their best. Well... not zidane level world class but still
:lol: So not world class then?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Bang on. He's doing a fine job that a lot of people wouln't have expected, let's all let him grow.
To me, it is his attitude and character that stand out. He isn't a massively gifted footballer. But he has a key attribute. Lack of fear coupled with raw passion.

Jibbs

:lol: So not world class then?
They were United's second tier midfielders at their best. Even when they delivered their absolute best for the club. And what kind of comparison is that, you may have said they weren't as good as Keane or Scholes or Carrick...directly jumped to Zidane.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I think you’re right Sky1981 and I’m more than happy with that, a bit of blood and thunder in the middle is an asset that we’ve been without for quite a while. Let’s hope he continues to improve the weaker parts of his game, if he does he could be a mainstay of our midfield for years to come.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I think he'll be sold to a team battling relegation in a few years and will have the same sort of career Tom Cleverly has had. He wouldn't get into any of the starting midfields for the current top 4 and United will replace him with a better CM in the next 2 years.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I think he'll be sold to a team battling relegation in a few years and will have the same sort of career Tom Cleverly has had. He wouldn't get into any of the starting midfields for the current top 4 and United will replace him with a better CM in the next 2 years.
That's a harsh assessment in fairness. Mctominay is quite clearly a cut above Tom Cleverly or players of similar ability. I think there will always be a place in the squad for him with or without reinforcements to the midfield area.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
That's a harsh assessment in fairness. Mctominay is quite clearly a cut above Tom Cleverly or players of similar ability. I think there will always be a place in the squad for him with or without reinforcements to the midfield area.
They are actually have similar football skills which is a fair comparison but what puts McTominay a level above is his size and strength and that can make a difference.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

I don't see it to be honest. I think he is a decent player but Nicky Butt is a level I dont see from him and let alone peak Fletcher

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
They were United's second tier midfielders at their best. Even when they delivered their absolute best for the club. And what kind of comparison is that, you may have said they weren't as good as Keane or Scholes or Carrick...directly jumped to Zidane.
Zidane was undoubted world class.

Butt was 2nd best player in one world cup if i recall correctly. But his peak at that level wasnt very long

El Zoido

I hate the do the old “if he was foreign” thing, but I really do feel he’d be more highly rated if he wasn’t Scottish. He’s surprisingly good on the ball, dribbling, carrying it forward. Far more than you’d expect from a player in his position.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Hes a bit rough around the edges, but hes only 22 so i expect him to improve that as he matures. His passion and commitment is impeccable though. Even if hes not the next Xavi i think hes going to have a great career here
My thoughts too.
What’s the latest on his injury anyway?

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
He could be what Fletcher could have been if he was healthy, one of the best midfielder in the league but just short of being world class.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Doubt it. Scott has always worked hard and exceeded all expectations when called upon.

I can see him quickly improving as he plays more and he'll be one of those players that people never really rate properly until he's gone and they realise what they've had with him all along.

Cleverley was soft and was more bothered about his brand before he even made it with us.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
He has already surpassed the very modest expectations i had for him when he first broke into the first team. I really misjudged this one. Probably my favorite player this season.

meamth

Considering his qualities:
  • Physically a beast in every aspect, jumping, strength, stamina and pace.
  • Great acceleration for a tall guy.
  • Still so young for a midfielder and already performing well in a big club.
  • Full time international player.
  • Has a good shot in him. (Due to him playing as a striker during his youth time)
  • Decent eye for passing.
  • Technically similar to Matic.
  • Fit as feck.
  • Always improving.
  • Professional personality
I'd say he can be an elite Midfielder. His only weakness now is consistency, experience and lapse of concentration.

In a definition he can be a complete midfielder. Capable of both defending and attacking in an elite team.

Mctominay now should have a potential to be a level below world's best midfielders. At least. Maybe a top level premier division midfielder.

SambaBoy

You wouldn't want his as your main midfielder but taking everything into account, he's definitely someone who could be at United for the next 10 years or so.

Firstly he's a player who is focused on his football, he has natural leadership skills and wants to improve unlike a lot of youngsters these days. He has excellent work-rate and an engine.

His technical ability isn't at the elite level but nor is it a massive detriment. He has good agility coupled with decent dribbling skills in terms of evading challenges and drawing fouls. Has a very good shot on him, decent power and can strike a ball well.

Passing ability is his main problem tbh, not only talking about his limited range but the way he will mess up simple passes 4-5 times a game, sometimes in dangerous areas. If he was to improve his short passing game, then he could definitely be a mainstay in the midfield.

You always ideally want your back-up players to be the hard-working, focused and homegrown type, which McTominay may become in 2-3 years depending on our signings and his improvements. They tend to not kick up a fuss being out of the team, and keep the others on their toes by working hard in training and taking their chances. These type of players still play 20/25+ games a season and often included in the bigger games for balance.

meamth

You wouldn't want his as your main midfielder but taking everything into account, he's definitely someone who could be at United for the next 10 years or so.

Firstly he's a player who is focused on his football, he has natural leadership skills and wants to improve unlike a lot of youngsters these days. He has excellent work-rate and an engine.

His technical ability isn't at the elite level but nor is it a massive detriment. He has good agility coupled with decent dribbling skills in terms of evading challenges and drawing fouls. Has a very good shot on him, decent power and can strike a ball well.

Passing ability is his main problem tbh, not only talking about his limited range but the way he will mess up simple passes 4-5 times a game, sometimes in dangerous areas. If he was to improve his short passing game, then he could definitely be a mainstay in the midfield.

You always ideally want your back-up players to be the hard-working, focused and homegrown type, which McTominay may become in 2-3 years depending on our signings and his improvements. They tend to not kick up a fuss being out of the team, and keep the others on their toes by working hard in training and taking their chances. These type of players still play 20/25+ games a season and often included in the bigger games for balance.
You mean like Scholes? :drool:

Darren Fletcher? :drool:

Tom Cleverley? :(

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
He reminds me of a slightly bigger and stronger Massimo Ambrosini. If he can have a similar career that would be amazing.

Edit: That great Milan team also had Seedorf, Kaka, Gattuso and Pirlo, so we need equivalent players in order for a player like this to be valuable.

romufc

They are actually have similar football skills which is a fair comparison but what puts McTominay a level above is his size and strength and that can make a difference.
Clevs looked really good at one point just like McTominay.
However; Cleverly kept getting injured and never got back into the team

Nikelesh Reddy

He's 22. How good can he be? Most exciting player to come from the academy in a long time imv.
Good squad player,will have a good Man Utd career(like Darren Fletcher),but definitely not the top class midfielder that we need to compete with the best teams in the league.

Posh Red

Good squad player,will have a good Man Utd career(like Darren Fletcher),but definitely not the top class midfielder that we need to compete with the best teams in the league.
I don't see any reason why he couldn't achieve the level of someone like Jordan Henderson. Could even turn out a better player to be honest.

Noc-Z

ffs
I don't see any reason why he couldn't achieve the level of someone like Jordan Henderson. Could even turn out a better player to be honest.
Exactly. A very useful player and I think if you compare both at age 22, Scott comes out on top. There's no guarantees how any player will develop but I imagine him being at Old Trafford for a reasonably long time. I don't envisage a Cleverley type career projection as some are suggesting!

theklr

So, now that he is out for a couple of games (most likely), who is gonna step in there and how much worse will our midfield be?

Think I would prefer Rojo tbh...

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
So, now that he is out for a couple of games (most likely), who is gonna step in there and how much worse will our midfield be?

Think I would prefer Rojo tbh...
At best, he may finally score the screamer he's been after. At worst, it'll be a laugh. I'm in.

TRUERED89

Really? Have you seen how poor Arsenal and Spurs have been this season? He wouldn't get in over players like Granit Xhaka or Harry Winks? You support Chelsea anyway, why invest so much time/posts on this forum..

Toni Roncoroni

Good posts here about him. I really changed my opinion about him in the last few months. He is turning into a really good midfielder. He has all the ingredients to be a top player for our club for years! I like his attitude a lot. Looks like he really cares and always gives his all. Technically he upped his game and he looks really confident on the ball. Hope the injury is not too serious.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Really? Have you seen how poor Arsenal and Spurs have been this season? He wouldn't get in over players like Granit Xhaka or Harry Winks? You support Chelsea anyway, why invest so much time/posts on this forum..
I said current top 4. You should learn to read one's posts before critiquing them. I guess that's why I received my 10 likes before my 100th post and you're still a newbie with 1.7k posts.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Exactly. A very useful player and I think if you compare both at age 22, Scott comes out on top. There's no guarantees how any player will develop but I imagine him being at Old Trafford for a reasonably long time. I don't envisage a Cleverley type career projection as some are suggesting!
Definitely not, that's for Lingard. All it takes for Lingard to be another Cleverley is to be sold and play for Everton. He already started a fashion brand and his productivity is close to nothing, couldn't be Cleverlier than that.

TRUERED89

I said current top 4. You should learn to read one's posts before critiquing them. I guess that's why I received my 10 likes before my 100th post and you're still a newbie with 1.7k posts.
McT I feel could play with Fabinho and Wijnaldum in a 3, why not. Leicester? Why couldn't he start with Tielemans and Maddison? I think he'd be valued by all of the top 4 even if not playing every minute.

P.S. I guess Chavski's forum is shite hence why you're a full member on here... Congrats :)..

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
McT I feel could play with Fabinho and Wijnaldum in a 3, why not. Leicester? Why couldn't he start with Tielemans and Maddison? I think he'd be valued by all of the top 4 even if not playing every minute.

P.S. I guess Chavski's forum is shite hence why you're a full member on here... Congrats :)..
I said he wouldn't get into the starting midfield of those teams for a reason. In the 2 examples you listed you're replacing Henderson and Ndidi with him. Very few people would have McTominay over those 2. As I said before, I'll be very surprised if he's still a starter for United in 2 years.

StrettyEnder07

Absolutely love McT, he has everything you could ask mentally for a United player, loves the club, knows the history, it means the world to him, puts himself about, 22 and he is screaming at others to concentrate to do their job.

For me he can become a very good old style number 8, box to box midfielder, you put a decent 6 next to him who has very good distribution with Pogba (or a replacement if he leaves) in front and let McT do his thing, defensively brilliant, gets forward, drives forward, has a goal in him.

Think he will be a top player and definitely captain material for me.