McTominay - what’s his potential?

StrettyEnder07

I said he wouldn't get into the starting midfield of those teams for a reason. In the 2 examples you listed you're replacing Henderson and Ndidi with him. Very few people would have McTominay over those 2. As I said before, I'll be very surprised if he's still a starter for United in 2 years.
I would be very surprised if he is not in our midfield in 2 years, only getting better for me but seems to be this thing that because United are not to good at the minute, god forbid any of our players can have a decent season.

Current top 4
Ndidi, for me personally I would take McT over him, open to opinion as Ndidi has been class.

Henderson/Milner, for me I take McTo over these pair

Rodri, has he been any good for City? Think he has been pretty bang average so far and starts most games, would I take how McT has played over him so far, defo a yes for me.

Chelsea midfield have been class so probably not at the minute.

So yeah, he would get in one or two of the current top 4 midfield for me, not to mention he walks into Spurs and Arsenals side without breaking sweat.

Shark

@NotShark
Jose Mourinho, who is notorious for high standards when it comes to playing youth, spotted the talent if this guy. That's not to say he'll definitely become a top player, but his performances recently are speaking for themselves.

cyril C

McTom is more like Kroos to me, box2box MF and a solid player in both defence and offence. There have been too much emphasis on DMF which we end up with Matic, and AMF which we end up with Fellaini. A proper B2B MF is what we need, and a less flamboyant version than Pogba of course. I actually rate him higher than Fletcher because Fletcher was not as lethal as him inside the box, when his game reading improved, McTom would be as effective as Fletcher the destroyer.

StrettyEnder07

McTom is more like Kroos to me, box2box MF and a solid player in both defence and offence. There have been too much emphasis on DMF which we end up with Matic, and AMF which we end up with Fellaini. A proper B2B MF is what we need, and a less flamboyant version than Pogba of course. I actually rate him higher than Fletcher because Fletcher was not as lethal as him inside the box, when his game reading improved, McTom would be as effective as Fletcher the destroyer.
Van Der Beek for me

el3mel

I honestly can't find a single similarity between both.

phonics_tid

Your Mother Was a Hamster and Your Father Smelt of
How much of an impact do we think Carrick has had/will have on his development?

This season in particular has seen a big up turn in the quality of his game and I wondered if having Carrick there is given him a huge source to learn from.

Seems like a pretty obvious thing to say but surely having someone like that to learn from can only ever been a huge benefit.

TRUERED89

Toni Kroos? 4 x CL winner ? Easy now. If he can have a career anything like him then we'll be laughing. Needs to improve his vision in terms of those driven passes into the forwards, doesn't do it often enough, apart from that the rest of his game seems to be on the right track!

MetoTTT

I would be very surprised if he is not in our midfield in 2 years, only getting better for me but seems to be this thing that because United are not to good at the minute, god forbid any of our players can have a decent season.

Current top 4
Ndidi, for me personally I would take McT over him, open to opinion as Ndidi has been class.

Henderson/Milner, for me I take McTo over these pair

Rodri, has he been any good for City? Think he has been pretty bang average so far and starts most games, would I take how McT has played over him so far, defo a yes for me.

Chelsea midfield have been class so probably not at the minute.

So yeah, he would get in one or two of the current top 4 midfield for me, not to mention he walks into Spurs and Arsenals side without breaking sweat.
We have to wait and see before judge him. Some tend to overrate some players after few good games and underrate others (Fabinho last season).

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
The player that springs to my mind as a comparison is Bryan Robson

StrettyEnder07

We have to wait and see before judge him. Some tend to overrate some players after few good games and underrate others (Fabinho last season).
Yeah mate sure he will come good, been very poor from what have seen but as you say sometimes takes a year to get use to the league, at the minute though I wouldn't take him out for Rodgri at the minute.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
He can be much more than Darren Fletcher, but if he'll be our Darren Fletcher I'll be also delighted.

In absence of Pogba he's capable of scoring and that makes him almost a key player in such short time. Has a lot more to offer than just a typical combatitive midfielder.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
I'll always gladly come into his threads to say how wrong was I when I didn't see anything special in him at the beginning.

Web of Bissaka

Seeing the many names thrown as resemblances, honestly I just can't see any comparative similarities ever since Mct totally expressed all his capabilities this season (reserved and held back previous two seasons) so far - he is on his own.

AneRu

He can be Fletcher, I think he is stronger defensively but weaker as a passer compared to his compatriot. If Fred continues to do well we could come out of this difficult season looking stronger for it but I think in order for the side to move a level up we need an elite deeplying playmaker, someone like Kroos to start our play from deep with Scot providing the legs. Imagine Scholes/Carrick releasing James/Rashford on the break :drool:

Aouer-United

Mctominay is getting overrated on here. He is elite in mentally but relegation level as a midfielder.

imamuppet

Considering his qualities:
  • Physically a beast in every aspect, jumping, strength, stamina and pace.
  • Great acceleration for a tall guy.
  • Still so young for a midfielder and already performing well in a big club.
  • Full time international player.
  • Has a good shot in him. (Due to him playing as a striker during his youth time)
  • Decent eye for passing.
  • Technically similar to Matic.
  • Fit as feck.
  • Always improving.
  • Professional personality
I'd say he can be an elite Midfielder. His only weakness now is consistency, experience and lapse of concentration.

In a definition he can be a complete midfielder. Capable of both defending and attacking in an elite team.

Mctominay now should have a potential to be a level below world's best midfielders. At least. Maybe a top level premier division midfielder.
Totally agree, can't understand some of the posters who have already judged him at 22 years of age

:lol: :lol:

If he continues to improve at the current rate and avoids injury he has all the potential to be a magnificent player for us and for himself.

Check the quote below

:lol: :lol:

Mctominay is getting overrated on here. He is elite in mentally but relegation level as a midfielder.

HowYouDoin

He can be elite or close to it, definitely a keeper. What I like about him, he is becoming a legit goal threat too. He has 10 goals a season in him too.
He will do a little bit of everything, likely not stand out at anything but do everything at an above average level including scoring goals.

djembatheking

He can be elite or close to it, definitely a keeper. What I like about him, he is becoming a legit goal threat too. He has 10 goals a season in him too.
He will do a little bit of everything, likely not stand out at anything but do everything at an above average level including scoring goals.
Better than De Gea?

ovoxo

I think he’ll be a mainstay in the team for years to come.

McTominay for the box to box role, we’ll need a new DM and a Pogba replacement if he goes too.

Nik70

His progression this year has been excellent. I wasn't too impressed last season but he's coming on nicely now. His work rate is great, he is scoring some goals and does a great job closing players down. He does tend to give the ball away and distribution is patchy at times but that will improve I'm sure.

Stacks

Considering his qualities:
  • Physically a beast in every aspect, jumping, strength, stamina and pace.
  • Great acceleration for a tall guy.
  • Still so young for a midfielder and already performing well in a big club.
  • Full time international player.
  • Has a good shot in him. (Due to him playing as a striker during his youth time)
  • Decent eye for passing.
  • Technically similar to Matic.
  • Fit as feck.
  • Always improving.
  • Professional personality
I'd say he can be an elite Midfielder. His only weakness now is consistency, experience and lapse of concentration.

In a definition he can be a complete midfielder. Capable of both defending and attacking in an elite team.

Mctominay now should have a potential to be a level below world's best midfielders. At least. Maybe a top level premier division midfielder.
This should be a meme. If United were not currently a mid table side he would probably not get minutes. Our standards are low so people now boosting him to Gerrard potential. Remember we are like 10th and a Europa league level team. Very few of our players are champs league quality. Let alone elite potential

Irwin99

Wouldn't be a bad thing at all if he was Nicky Butt or Darren Fletcher level as others have said.

He's a good tackler, has good energy, good strength, has leadership qualities, is a box to box runner, and can score a few goals. The big question mark is if his passing will improve and he's still young enough to see a big improvement there.

I don't think he'll ever be world class but he could be a really useful player for us in the future.

Stacks

Nothing like Kroos. Kroos a passing and creative genius. McTom has some of the most uninspiring passing for a CM.
He can be much more than Darren Fletcher, but if he'll be our Darren Fletcher I'll be also delighted.

In absence of Pogba he's capable of scoring and that makes him almost a key player in such short time. Has a lot more to offer than just a typical combatitive midfielder.
Darren Fletcher was an important player in a title winning team who made CL finals. McTom can only dream of reaching these levels and almost certainly won't.
He can be Fletcher, I think he is stronger defensively but weaker as a passer compared to his compatriot. If Fred continues to do well we could come out of this difficult season looking stronger for it but I think in order for the side to move a level up we need an elite deeplying playmaker, someone like Kroos to start our play from deep with Scot providing the legs. Imagine Scholes/Carrick releasing James/Rashford on the break :drool:
See above RE Fletcher.
Elite is Kante. Title winning midfielders. McTom currently presides for a mid table team. There is nothing elite about us or our trajectory. He is just a solid CM in a mid table side. You could say any midfielder in all the teams above us can be elite

meamth

This should be a meme. If United were not currently a mid table side he would probably not get minutes. Our standards are low so people now boosting him to Gerrard potential. Remember we are like 10th and a Europa league level team. Very few of our players are champs league quality. Let alone elite potential
Meh. Boring meme.

Lazy assumption of his ability there.

Just forget his big performances against elite level team yeah?

While you're at it, just forget any passion you have for this club.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Considering how much he has improved compared to start of last season, it would be foolish to write him off and put in some imaginary brackets. His dribbling, ability in tight space, shooting from distance, being threat from set pieces, tackling, using his physicality everything has improved compared to last season. He is playing with much more confidence now.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The fact is Mctomminay only has the ability to be World Class if United are World Class.

You can't spot a world class player individually in a mediocre to a poor team - that's called scouting & is ultimately a gamble until they produce in a world class team.

No one speaks about Kante in Caen; however the lad does the title for Leicester, moves to Chelsea & is now consistent amongst the world's best and his national team. That's because the lad was consistently one of the most important players in the teams he played for - some of the best teams of his league and World.

No matter how good Mctomminay is, we can't judge him until we move up a gear & at that moment he moves up with us or stays at his level.

I think he will move up. He reminds me of a very generic German bundesliga type midfielder we would have to pay 40-50 million on.

Ballack & Khedira type combo. I'd actually be happy if he was used how Khedira was used for Juventus - a player who might not start every match over the likes of Pjanic but fits anywhere and does the dirty dependable work whether he starts the game, ends the game, has form or not.

Stacks

Considering how much he has improved compared to start of last season, it would be foolish to write him off and put in some imaginary brackets. His dribbling, ability in tight space, shooting from distance, being threat from set pieces, tackling, using his physicality everything has improved compared to last season. He is playing with much more confidence now.
I agree but Elite level midfielders should be far more refined if it's a dead cert that they will be elite. As a b2b goal scoring midfielder who can ball win, Stevie Me is the natural comparison

eltigreFalcao

Undoubtedly McT has got loads of potential and he's going to get better by the day. His ceiling could and should be high. I just hope he continues his path of development which has been excellent so far. If United were to sign a current WC player in his position, I hope he can overcome getting some bench time as part of his growth. Although no one see that happening soon.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I agree but Elite level midfielders should be far more refined if it's a dead cert that they will be elite. As a b2b goal scoring midfielder who can ball win, Stevie Me is the natural comparison
Not every elite level midfielder was refined by that age. You gave Kante as example, was he elite level or refined player at that age? Fabinho is one more elite level midfielder and at 22 I don't even think he was playing regularly as a DM/CM. He was right back.

No one knows how the player improves and develop, I don't understand why people keep repeating "player can't be better than this, player can't be worst than that".

meamth

The benchmark of modern box to box. Agreed.

Steven-UK

Yes, only for Rashford to score 1 in every 6 golden opportunities. I can imagine it very well.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He listed only his strengths, and while his conclusion at the end seems some what hasty to me there is not much wrong in his bullet points now is there? I do get the fans excitement about McTominay and I don't really feel the need to take a big dump on his career trajectory before it has even started. I also didn't know there was a rule that made sure teams outside the CL can't have elite level talent in their ranks.

AkaAkuma

The fact is Mctomminay only has the ability to be World Class if United are World Class.

You can't spot a world class player individually in a mediocre to a poor team - that's called scouting & is ultimately a gamble until they produce in a world class team.

No one speaks about Kante in Caen; however the lad does the title for Leicester, moves to Chelsea & is now consistent amongst the world's best and his national team. That's because the lad was consistently one of the most important players in the teams he played for - some of the best teams of his league and World.

No matter how good Mctomminay is, we can't judge him until we move up a gear & at that moment he moves up with us or stays at his level.

I think he will move up. He reminds me of a very generic German bundesliga type midfielder we would have to pay 40-50 million on.

Ballack & Khedira type combo. I'd actually be happy if he was used how Khedira was used for Juventus - a player who might not start every match over the likes of Pjanic but fits anywhere and does the dirty dependable work whether he starts the game, ends the game, has form or not.
Ballack and Khedira aren't bad comparisons, albeit he has some way to go to get to Ballack level. He's currently playing a tactically fixed role, if he's given more freedom it will be interesting to see his attacking xontribution.

beingshe7don

I think Mctominay is Butt level. Butt appeared and performed at a World Class level when he played alongside Scholes, Giggs, Beckham and Keane. With our current mediocre midfield, Mctominay appears world class when he isn't. He's no doubt a good player to have but I don't think he features in the first team of a championship winning side. Yes, yes... I know Fergie won with Cleverley, Anderson and Gibson in midfield but that's a whole different story.