McTominay - what’s his potential?

GueRed

I don't think it's that rare. Wijnaldum for example at Liverpool is miles better technically than Mctominay and worked hard enough to be make the press work.

We won the league with Cleverley under Sir Alex. Giggs at 80 is twice the player Mctominay will ever be. And Leicester is a freak season. We need to up our standards and think like the Madrid's and Bayern's of this world , not try to win big titles with mediocre talents.
You do know who our owners are dont you?

Sonny87

I don't think it's that rare. Wijnaldum for example at Liverpool is miles better technically than Mctominay and worked hard enough to be make the press work.

We won the league with Cleverley under Sir Alex. Giggs at 80 is twice the player Mctominay will ever be. And Leicester is a freak season. We need to up our standards and think like the Madrid's and Bayern's of this world , not try to win big titles with mediocre talents.
for some reason i’ve never rated Wijnaldium at Liverpool the same as Holland, he looks very leggy and slow on the ball at Liverpool

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Imagine if MCT had the passing range of Ederson Moraes. He’d be justifying his place in the first team without question. MCT has physicality and speed but really negligible levels of technical ability.

SoCross

I like McT but think its the first position we can easily upgrade on providing everyone is fit.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
for some reason i’ve never rated Wijnaldium at Liverpool the same as Holland, he looks very leggy and slow on the ball at Liverpool
He's been class for them. Got great feet. People think Livepool winning the title means you don't need good CMs but their midfield was actually very good.

Either way, a far cry from McFred and their clumsiness, at least when they were winning.

underrate

meamth

Sigh. Can't imagine what if "Darren Fletcher, what's his potential" thread in 2021.

Back then, the rage and overreaction was mindless, Fletcher was never deemed good enough. But he turned it around, and became an important player for us.

People easily writing him off, but at the age he is now, and what he has shown, he can become significantly better than Fletcher.

MrBest

Sigh. Can't imagine what if "Darren Fletcher, what's his potential" thread in 2021.

Back then, the rage and overreaction was mindless, Fletcher was never deemed good enough. But he turned it around, and became an important player for us.

People easily writing him off, but at the age he is now, and what he has shown, he can become significantly better than Fletcher.
Darren Fletcher was never really a first team player for us, he was used as a squad player, and he was a brilliant squad player. I partly agree with you, Mctominay has potential to be a good squad player, perhaps to Feltcher's level, but he should not be starting week in and week out. It is not really his fault, we have a lack of quality in the middle so by default he starts all the time and his abilities gets exposed. I hope he stays with us, but for rotation only.

loki

Broke 1000 posts 5 years ago. Slow going since
To me he'll never become a talent of the very very top level, but that's ok cause you can't have every position covered that way, he can still be an excellent player who contributes well to the team.

He should be more box to box free to move around with a properly solid DM behind him, tackling and working in midfield without quite the same demand for positioning, and free to get to the edge of the box to make the most of his great long shooting. I think the Leeds game showed that best of what he can do and what I want to see of him. Other teams won't leave such huge gaps like that specific case but if he gets forward more regularly like that presenting a threat it frees up space for the rest of the team, and runs from deep are hard to track even when teams are looking for it.
The duo with Fred makes him always less than his best ability.
I thought earlier in his career he could be molded to a DM, but either they never really tried, or they found it wouldn't work.

Similar to how Lindelöf and Maguire even with regular play to get understanding and consistency going will only each play to 90%(probably less) of what they could do with a more complementary player even if their form is at their very best. Both need a quicker player beside them (especially Maguire though).

Marwood

I think this is underselling Butt a bit. He was very tidy on the ball and rarely gave it away. He had a better touch than Scotty too - he wasn't just a spoiler. I agree with the general consensus - useful squaddie but not good enough to start for a team lookin to challenge for the highest honours. I was surprised by his attacking contribution at times this season, though. Has a decent eye for goal on occasion, it's just a shame that he's quite loose on the ball and his passing is so hit and miss.
That pretty much describes Nick Butt as well doesn't it?

meamth

Darren Fletcher was never really a first team player for us, he was used as a squad player, and he was a brilliant squad player. I partly agree with you, Mctominay has potential to be a good squad player, perhaps to Feltcher's level, but he should not be starting week in and week out. It is not really his fault, we have a lack of quality in the middle so by default he starts all the time and his abilities gets exposed. I hope he stays with us, but for rotation only.
When did Fletcher came good for us? Late 20s?

McT is still at the ripe age at 24, as for a midfielder, that's young. His awareness will mature as long as we giving him the time to develop.

This is the same player who started to play fo r Man United at 20? 21? His growth has been immense, I don't think suddenly this is his limit.

I'd reckon he will be more experienced and composed by the time he reached 27-28.

Lastwolf

That pretty much describes Nick Butt as well doesn't it?
Depends on how you define a squad player or challenging for highest honours.

Butt averaged about 38 games a season over a ten year period, in which the club won the league 7 times, including the famous treble winning 99 side, a year where he made 47 apperances. To me, that sounds like the exact opposite of that statement.

Don't get me wrong, when I'm writting down the dream first 11 for that period, he not on it for me either but the idea that he wasn't good enough to start in the team is crazy, he did start.

Skills

Snitch
To me he'll never become a talent of the very very top level, but that's ok cause you can't have every position covered that way, he can still be an excellent player who contributes well to the team.

He should be more box to box free to move around with a properly solid DM behind him, tackling and working in midfield without quite the same demand for positioning, and free to get to the edge of the box to make the most of his great long shooting. I think the Leeds game showed that best of what he can do and what I want to see of him. Other teams won't leave such huge gaps like that specific case but if he gets forward more regularly like that presenting a threat it frees up space for the rest of the team, and runs from deep are hard to track even when teams are looking for it.
The duo with Fred makes him always less than his best ability.
I thought earlier in his career he could be molded to a DM, but either they never really tried, or they found it wouldn't work.

Similar to how Lindelöf and Maguire even with regular play to get understanding and consistency going will only each play to 90%(probably less) of what they could do with a more complementary player even if their form is at their very best. Both need a quicker player beside them (especially Maguire though).
That's mental. You'd be setting your team and midfield up to fit one of the most limited players in our squad. If you're going to do that, why wouldn't you give that luxury to far more talented and able players?

GlasgowCeltic

Butt was as much a first teamer as Scholes for most of his time there, dropped off eventually but a quality player, better than McTominay

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
His weak passing range severely limits his potential.

It's a shame because he has everything going for him besides that. He reads that game well, disrupts play, has an excellent work ethic and is aggressive in the tackle. In short, he's a top player when the opposition has the ball, not so much when we're in possession though.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

It's a shame because he has everything going for him besides that. He reads that game well, disrupts play, has an excellent work ethic and is aggressive in the tackle. In short, he's a top player when the opposition has the ball, not so much when we're in possession though.
With the right partner he could form a great midfield though (a pirlo type who will always sit... make himself available for the simple balll and be able to run the game allowing McT to get forwards and make more runs into the box)

Pogba isnt a great partner as Pogba wants the freedom to make the runs himself and Freds passing is functional but certainly not at the level where it is going to run a game

Not sure we are going to find the right partner for him - or even that its a priority

Marwood

Depends on how you define a squad player or challenging for highest honours.

Butt averaged about 38 games a season over a ten year period, in which the club won the league 7 times, including the famous treble winning 99 side, a year where he made 47 apperances. To me, that sounds like the exact opposite of that statement.

Don't get me wrong, when I'm writting down the dream first 11 for that period, he not on it for me either but the idea that he wasn't good enough to start in the team is crazy, he did start.
It's not that crazy, Alex Ferguson decided he wasn't first choice not me. Except for select games in the early days when he sometimes started ahead of Scholes, he was the backup midfielder. Back then squads were smaller, he was the only one covering Keane and Scholes, so got plenty of games.

He left because he wasn't playing enough. His career post United wasn't great.

I'm not downplaying Butt, he was a solid player. However he was never a consistent first choice pick. The definition of a squad player.

I'm convinced if McTominay had a similar role we'd all hold much more favourable opinions on him.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer

Fletch proved his worth over all these years. McT is nowhere close

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

McT is still at the ripe age at 24, as for a midfielder, that's young. His awareness will mature as long as we giving him the time to develop.

This is the same player who started to play fo r Man United at 20? 21? His growth has been immense, I don't think suddenly this is his limit.

I'd reckon he will be more experienced and composed by the time he reached 27-28.
He could reach Fletcher's level but I don't think he will. Development is not linear and I think Mctominay doesn't have the technical gifts Fletcher did, and those cannot be obtained.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks

Don't agree with this. I think he's mediocre with and without the ball in general.
He reads that game well,
Does he really though ?
disrupts play
Sort of.
has an excellent work ethic
Yes.
is aggressive in the tackle
I actually think he needs to be more aggressive, in the air and on the ground.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Fletcher played his best stuff for United in 2008-09 and 2009-10, before he was struck down by illness. He started 2008-09 at 24 years old (born 1 February 1984).

I hope you're right about McTominay but his erratic passing and lack of positional discipline make me worry about him.

It's not that crazy, Alex Ferguson decided he wasn't first choice not me. Except for select games in the early days when he sometimes started ahead of Scholes, he was the backup midfielder. Back then squads were smaller, he was the only one covering Keane and Scholes, so got plenty of games.

He left because he wasn't playing enough. His career post United wasn't great.

I'm not downplaying Butt, he was a solid player. However he was never a consistent first choice pick. The definition of a squad player.

I'm convinced if McTominay had a similar role we'd all hold much more favourable opinions on him.
Maybe but at the 2002 World Cup Nicky played a big role for England. Nicky was also, easily, a technically superior player to McTominay (and Fred and Matic). If Nicky was 20 years younger he'd be our best #6 right now, which says a lot about our current squad.

USREDEVIL

I think McT is a better box to box player than Fred is a DM. I'd upgrade Fred before McT but ideally he'd be a sub.

DeGea
AWB Maguire (CB) Shaw
(DM)
Bruno Pogba
Greenwood Cavani Rashford.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Butt was better than Phil Neville, who in turn was better than McTominay is atm. Scott might be able to overtake Phil if he develops further, but I don't see him reaching Butt's level. And other than a brief good period in January (or was it December?), he hasn't really shown any development since last season for me.

Scott is better than Cleverley though.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Don't agree with this. I think he's mediocre with and without the ball in general.

Does he really though ?

Sort of.

Yes.

I actually think he needs to be more aggressive, in the air and on the ground.
He reads the game very well, to his credit, similar to Carrick in a way. He wouldn't disrupt play as often as he does without that ability.

I'm not sure he can be more aggressive without risking a booking or getting sent off.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I think he can be top. Really really good. Like really really good.

Ace

He’s superior to Fred in just about every single category, but I think we still need at least two first-team midfielders in the transfer window.

MrBest

I think you need to jog your memory for on Fletcher. He started playing for us around 19, and probably left at 30. Mctominay has probably been in the team since he was 21, a good 3 years so far. I'm not even saying he is a bad player, i just think he is a squad player, just like Fletcher was. But to say he has the potential to be better is farfetched. I believe Fletcher couldn't reach his potential because of his illness, which towards the end of his United career, started to really impact him, i dont think he played much in the last 3 or 4 years.

Marwood

How many current first teamers are good enough to be important squad players in that side?

Different teams different quality of first team & squad players.
Loads, most of them in fact. Apart from the centre forward positions the '99 squad wasn't great. You don't think Shaw or AWB could take P Neville's place a reserve fullback. Or Maguire could replace Berg or May as reserve CB? Or Rashford as reserve winger? I could go on.

McTominay would no doubt be a squad player in '99 or any other Fergie era. We've had worse starters under Fergie never mind squad players.

He's just having a flat time of it right now.

Ace

Hes not, Fred does a hell of a lot more defensive work.

McTomminay was good today though
I said “just about every single category”

There’s no denying that Fred does more “work”, which is the one thing all of the Fred-apologists can continue to claim in his favor. Unfortunately for Fred (and whoever has to play next to him) the game is played with a ball and he is among the worst I’ve ever watched with the ball at his feet.

McTomminay is the better player by miles in terms of his actual game and skill set. It’s not really close. Though neither should be starters for us if we aspire to mount a serious challenge next season. Fred absolutely needs replacing.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Great to see youth players come through, so if we persist with him I won't be mad. But if we wanna compete with the best we'll need to upgrade at holding mid. I hope he sticks around, maybe he can do a Fletcher and turn himself into a top player as he matures.