Memphis Depay 2.0 as no. 9

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He is much better as a footballer than a rapper. Nothing wrong with making music videos, its only wrong when you use autotune so much that you sound like Stephen Hawking.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We ran out of juice. Beggars can't be choosers

jamesjimmybyrondean

People turning their noses at Depay as if we have better options available. No shit he's not good enough. People can't seem to understand that getting a quality striker in January Is hard enough, now include a loan deal and it's almost impossible. We ended up with Ighalo the last time we were in this position.

Jacob

Annoying to constantly see this thread at the top. He is not good enough. Not even as stop gap.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Annoying to constantly see this thread at the top. He is not good enough. Not even as stop gap.
In all honesty, who else do you think is attainable?

They have got to be cheap and or free. We are allegedly interested in Felix but need the loan fee/overall fee to be reduced. Even Arsenal want the fee to be reduced.

Even in Jan on a regular season a decent striker would be hard to get, let alone in one where we are actively looking to sell within the next 4 months.

Depay is the best option we have for the money we have!

Jacob

In all honesty, who else do you think is attainable?

They have got to be cheap and or free. We are allegedly interested in Felix but need the loan fee/overall fee to be reduced. Even Arsenal want the fee to be reduced.

Even in Jan on a regular season a decent striker would be hard to get, let alone in one where we are actively looking to sell within the next 4 months.

Depay is the best option we have for the money we have!
Rather have nobody than him honestly. He's not the mentality monster type of player we need. The likes of Casemiro, Varane and Martinez.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Rather have nobody than him honestly. He's not the mentality monster type of player we need. The likes of Casemiro, Varane and Martinez.
Are you attributing his younger flashy show off mentality, to him now, a much more mature, professional, experienced Memphis?

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Sign him, we need options other than Martial
This. To be honest hes the kind of player who ends up with the likes of wolverhampton, but we just simply don't have enough squad depth right now

Glorio

This man could take Martial's spot if he comes and Martial doesn't buck up his ideas

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Just bring him back im sick of martial.

I'd even take Arnautovic at this point.

acnumber9

I feel this signing is inevitable. He fits the criteria of having played in Holland and cheap.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Martial is Man United squad player quality at best and I suspect Depay is slightly worse but I haven't seen us linked to anyone more exciting now Gakpo is off the table and it seems Mendes and co will be unrealistic about Felix's price. I'd probably rather Thuram but perhaps his club aren't bothered about the fee and would rather have 6 more months of him.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I don't see how this happens until the last minute with Barca. We won't buy him and they won't want to loan him. They have nothing to lose holding onto him until then.

Theo88

I don't see how this happens until the last minute with Barca. We won't buy him and they won't want to loan him. They have nothing to lose holding onto him until then.
Yes they do. They are not renewing him, he isnt starting and they should in principle offload his salary.

I’m curious people who are saying he isnt good enough have they watched Memphis play or is this basically thoughts on his first stint. He isnt going to win any scoring awards but beyond Martial we have Charlie Mcneil and nada. Based on career aNd stats he is easily on par with Martial is he not ?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Yes they do. They are not renewing him, he isnt starting and they should in principle offload his salary.

I’m curious people who are saying he isnt good enough have they watched Memphis play or is this basically thoughts on his first stint. He isnt going to win any scoring awards but beyond Martial we have Charlie Mcneil and nada. Based on career aNd stats he is easily on par with Martial is he not ?
They can just wait until the last minute to loan him in that case, it doesn't make a difference doing it early for them and more time to hawk him out for a sale.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
The biggest problem with Memphis is that at a relatively high level he's only been successful as a false 9 for Lyon and Holland. At United, he's squad player material, but it's rather hard to accommodate a squad player in that way.

You could see this with Xavi where he tried playing off the left and in the no 10 role because Memphis didn't fit his idea of a CF and it just didn't work at that level.

He's a bit too injury prone for my liking as well. All things considering, he's not the right player.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
No, no and no to Memphis.

He's not a natural striker and found his level at Lyon. There's no upside to him for United.

I hate seeing this thread bumped just in case there's a genuine link there. People are complaining about Martial but he is twice the player Memphis is.

He's nowhere near the level we need. Nothing has changed since he was last here, his technique still isn't good enough and his physical attributes still won't get him past PL defenders.

Elcabron

The biggest problem with Memphis is that at a relatively high level he's only been successful as a false 9 for Lyon and Holland. At United, he's squad player material, but it's rather hard to accommodate a squad player in that way.

You could see this with Xavi where he tried playing off the left and in the no 10 role because Memphis didn't fit his idea of a CF and it just didn't work at that level.

He's a bit too injury prone for my liking as well. All things considering, he's not the right player.
Interesting didn't know this, good to hear an actual argument for why not to get him in rather than just "avoid, he's shit".

I assumed he played traditional number 9 role and not false 9. He did well for Barca before they bought Lewandowski though did he not?

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Interesting didn't know this, good to hear an actual argument for why not to get him in rather than just "avoid, he's shit".

I assumed he played traditional number 9 role and not false 9. He did well for Barca before they bought Lewandowski though did he not?
He was injured the 2nd half of last season (and again coming into the world cup) He did quite alright in the first half of last season when Barca were terrible (not due to him) and became their top scorer (12 goals of which 4 were penalties, 2 assists in 28 matches) because of the many personnel changes. His overall game wasn't anything special. He plays very much like Bruno when he was really frustrating. Works hard off the ball and loses the ball a ton trying to create. He hasn't shown the ability to play differently from this.

Long term his playstyle isn't ETH's (or Xavi's) preference in any position and it's clear why Barca have replaced him. He had no intention of leaving in the summer and he's 29y old. He probably wants a long term deal with a signing on fee. There's all sorts of reason why he's not a good fit.

He's transitioned into a different (and better) kind of player since his time at United. And if he could "hack it" in La Liga, I'm sure he could do a decent job in the EPL too in his preferred false 9/playmaker role for a team willing to accommodate him.

Idxomer

That's the big thing for me as well, we would be signing a player who has barely played any football in the last year.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Never go back, especially for a player who's regarded as a major flop.

spiriticon

He's not good enough as a target man, poacher, winger or number 10.

What is the point???? Play him in defence?

Elcabron

He was injured the 2nd half of last season (and again coming into the world cup) He did quite alright in the first half of last season when Barca were terrible (not due to him) and became their top scorer (12 goals of which 4 were penalties, 2 assists in 28 matches) because of the many personnel changes. His overall game wasn't anything special. He plays very much like Bruno when he was really frustrating. Works hard off the ball and loses the ball a ton trying to create. He hasn't shown the ability to play differently from this.

Long term his playstyle isn't ETH's (or Xavi's) preference in any position and it's clear why Barca have replaced him. He had no intention of leaving in the summer and he's 29y old. He probably wants a long term deal with a signing on fee. There's all sorts of reason why he's not a good fit.

He's transitioned into a different (and better) kind of player since his time at United. And if he could "hack it" in La Liga, I'm sure he could do a decent job in the EPL too in his preferred false 9/playmaker role for a team willing to accommodate him.
Fair enough then. Whilst I see what you are saying, as a last resort I would take him for the rest of the season though I see Xavi has said today he is going nowhere.

glasgow 21

Headlines....News just in .......United to discuss whether they are thinking about signing (........ blank..............) . Fill in at your leisure and get a job with the likes of daily mail.

croadyman

Fair enough then. Whilst I see what you are saying, as a last resort I would take him for the rest of the season though I see Xavi has said today he is going nowhere.
Exactly so we should go and get Thuram instead

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

We would be taking him as squad player for Martial on a likely short term deal. He's likely backup to Joao Felix as an option. And in the summer we will likely go big, or if Martial and Memphis prove fine enough to give another season while we focus on CM then we go big in 2024.

croadyman

We would be taking him as squad player for Martial on a likely short term deal. He's likely backup to Joao Felix as an option. And in the summer we will likely go big, or if Martial and Memphis prove fine enough to give another season while we focus on CM then we go big in 2024.
Would take him provided we got a Thuram/Morata too because give us something we currently lack

dinostar77

He'd be perfect for arsenal as a understudy for gabriel jesus. His off the ball work is non existant so wouldnt be the best understudy on left wing for martinelli. Martinelli does the off the ball work that arteta demands.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
But how good is he a short term option when he has barely played for over a year? Furthermore, what incentive does both the player and his parent club have? It's not appealing to either to make this move happen. I'm not in "he's utter shit" camp, but if we have anything resembling a scouting apparatus he should be pretty low on the list all things considered.

honirelandboy

Pogba left and came back and look what happened, Ronaldo left and came back and look what happened. I don’t like Depays attitude and wouldn’t want him near the club. He’s not the player we need. I’d take Jao Felix any day of the week.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Ten Hagg dealt with Ronaldo brilliantly.
If he feels that he can work with Depay in a loan/permanent capacity, then I'm all for it.