Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I don't think anyone can argue that he's been anything sort of underpar this first season, but he definitely needs a fresh start under a manager who doesn't strangle the life out of attackers.

It's quite amazing Martial has looked so red hot at times.

Hopefully Mou has a solution.

JohnnyLaw

Overall he's looked very Tony Valencia-ish. No ideas, lacking the basics in being a premiership level winger. By basic I mean, the basic Ashley Young level of effectiveness. I read on squawka that last season's ashley young in the premier league; created 3 times as many chances, 3 times as many key passes, 5 assists to memphis' 0, took on more players etc. He needs to up his Prem game for real. He is a winger playing for Manchester United. Can't be 1/3 the effectiveness of the likes of Young.
I don't think that it's that strange considering it's been a big adjustment for him, (apart from the obvious; new League, club etc), to go from high-tempo counter-attack football at PSV and Holland where he did so well to the slow tactical approach at United that's also been underperforming all season. And it's a bit unfair to compare Young to a guy who's played two full seasons of senior football when you consider that Young's actually played in the premier League all of his career and that he's playing his fourth season for us at the age of 29 and in the best form we've seen him in since the very start in 2011/12. Young even scored higher than Di maria in most of Squawkas measurments from last years campaign.

Stacks

I don't think that it's that strange considering it's been a big adjustment for him, (apart from the obvious; new League, club etc), to go from high-tempo counter-attack football at PSV and Holland where he did so well to the slow tactical approach at United that's also been underperforming all season. And it's a bit unfair to compare Young to a guy who's played two full seasons of senior football when you consider that Young's actually played in the premier League all of his career and that he's playing his fourth season for us at the age of 29 and in the best form we've seen him in since the very start in 2011/12. Young even scored higher than Di maria in most of Squawkas measurments from last years campaign.
Di Maria, despite not starting for 9 games straight still managed to be the squads most creative player. I admit it is harsh to compare him to Young; I guess I don't rate Young very highly and hope a club like Man Utd would do far far better. Again it is true that Van gaal's approach could be seriously debilitating all our attackers. It is strange however that under the same coach, Memphis looks world class vs very very weak players in the opposition, despite Van Gaal still being the manager. Maybe he set us up differently for those games? who knows?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Ya.. I didnt mean owe.. I meant, we will end up giving PSV overall a lot of money on an unsuccessful deal.
I don't know why selling a player for 80m should be considered poor. That's a massive profit on what you consider unsuccessful. I don't think you should give up on him just yet. The fee paid for him is fairly standard for a footballer that scores goals.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
The fee paid for him is fairly standard for a footballer that scores goals.
He has scored 2 league goals. Do you think the fee paid for him is standard for an attacker scoring 2 league goals?

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Dirk Kuyt is 3rd top scorer in the Eredivisie with 16 goals. Maybe the dutch league is just really shit these days

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
It is, but Kuyt was also scoring 20+ goals a season there earlier in his career and around 10 in the EPL, he is a pretty good player.
His last season he had 2 goals in 34 league games and his second season was 3 goals in 32 league games...a pretty good player doesn't put up those kind of numbers

And the guy is 35 which is what I found most surprising in him scoring that many this year

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
His last season he had 2 goals in 34 league games and his second season was 3 goals in 32 league games...a pretty good player doesn't put up those kind of numbers

And the guy is 35 which is what I found most surprising in him scoring that many this year
He also scored 7 goals in 12 Champions league games in his second season. I don't understand your argument, are you saying he isn't a pretty good player? He has put up even better numbers in the past.

Which is why I said the league is quite shit these days. Its a very attacking league with little emphasis on defending allowing for high scores, the league is filled with inexperienced players and isn't played at that high of a tempo that a 35 year old can't keep up. His experience, movement, and general football smarts would be a level above the majority of Eredivisie players. Altidore or even Luuk de Jong are testaments to the weakness of the league.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
He also scored 7 goals in 12 Champions league games in his second season. I don't understand your argument, are you saying he isn't a pretty good player? He has put up even better numbers in the past.

Which is why I said the league is quite shit these days. Its a very attacking league with little emphasis on defending allowing for high scores, the league is filled with inexperienced players and isn't played at that high of a tempo that a 35 year old can't keep up. His experience, movement, and general football smarts would be a level above the majority of Eredivisie players. Altidore or even Luuk de Jong are testaments to the weakness of the league.
Yes I never considered Kuyt to be that good and I always considered him to be very average. Maybe I just dont remember him that well as it has been a long time since he was in England. I mean even when I look at his stats of the 7 in 12 CL season...2 of those goals are in the 87 and 90 minutes of a 5-0 win against Toulouse in the third qualifying round, without looking at the rest of his games that is 9 goals in 47 of the other games games that season. Seems pretty poor for a striker and I do remember him being someone who was laughed at for his awful scoring record and being more of a work horse.

I don't actually watch any of the dutch league so have no idea what its like.

Last edited:

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Yes I never considered Kuyt to be that good and I always considered him to be very average. Maybe I just dont remember him that well as it has been a long time since he was in England. I mean even when I look at his stats of the 7 in 12 CL season...2 of those goals are in the 87 and 90 minutes of a 5-0 win against Toulouse in the third qualifying round, without looking at the rest of his games that is 9 goals in 47 of the other games games that season. Seems pretty poor for a striker and I do remember him being someone who was laughed at for his awful scoring record and being more of a work horse.

I don't actually watch any of the dutch league so have no idea what its like.
So you are going to focus on 2 season and completely ignore the 4 where he scored 9-13 goals in the premier league and his four seasons in Eredivisie where he scored 20-29 goals? He also played pretty much exclusively as a winger since his second season at Liverpool so that is actually a pretty damn good record for a winger. Danny Welbeck is laughed at for his awful scoring record and being more of a work horse, is he average? Of course not, he along with Kuyt are both pretty good players. You don't do what Kuyt has done in his career by being very average.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
So you are going to focus on 2 season and completely ignore the 4 where he scored 9-13 goals in the premier league and his four seasons in Eredivisie where he scored 20-29 goals? He also played pretty much exclusively as a winger since his second season at Liverpool so that is actually a pretty damn good record for a winger. Danny Welbeck is laughed at for his awful scoring record and being more of a work horse, is he average? Of course not, he along with Kuyt are both pretty good players. You don't do what Kuyt has done in his career by being very average.
The Kuyt I remember is the one who's second touch was a tackle. Lets just agree to disagree as I don't want to get into a debate about Dirk Kuyt. I was only trying to make the point of the Eredivisie being poor right now

izec

His wannabe gangster attitude doesnt help him, same with Rojo. Start working harder you fannies, cares more about the lifestyle than things on the pitch.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
His wannabe gangster attitude doesnt help him, same with Rojo. Start working harder you fannies, cares more about the lifestyle than things on the pitch.
How do you know that?

Golden Nugget

Bloody hell. Now he's getting criticized for something completely made up. Let's just support him and give him a chance.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don't rate him but I feel for him. Came with such confidence and expectation. Been a nightmare first season.

m1y2

I think he was pretty poor in both halves, barely seen him do anything really, should stop hiding

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Am I the only one that thinks its far more likely that this football leaks website are pulling absolutely all of this info out of their arseholes rather than having direct access to every single player transfer of the past 2-3 years?
Nah. Some of the leaks about Porto have beem extremely damning yet no one ever came forward able to deny the content of a single leak. Information is consistent with plenty of the known insiders on our forum. Our club is in turmoil due to this stuff. They are legit.

Tottenham 3:0 Man Utd

Haddock

It's Di Maria all over again. Starts fairly well, then Van Gaal messes with his position. Player loses confidence, benched. Leaves.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
It's Di Maria all over again. Starts fairly well, then Van Gaal messes with his position. Player loses confidence, benched. Leaves.
Depay has been fecking shit all season. Only done well in European games vs crap opposition. Not like ADM at all.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I just don't understand why he's selected Young instead of Memphis up top.

Walters_19_MuFc

At the time, I wanted him to smash Walker, but glad he didn't lash out. Had a good moment when he come on, where he took on Eriksen, I think, and put in a decent cross.

Acole9

Outstanding
I don't know why we brought him on, he's useless. Not sure what all that was about with Walker but it was pathetic to watch.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I don't know why we brought him on, he's useless. Not sure what all that was about with Walker but it was pathetic to watch.
Well he managed to take his man on, which Is more than Lingard, Mata, Rashford and Young combined achieved.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Wish he had chinned Walker. A red card and we might have seen someone more useful on the bench for the next 3 games

wiz4231

He's dogshit. I'd rather see Valencia come on.
Wish he had chinned Walker. A red card and we might have seen someone more useful on the bench for the next 3 games
Valencia? For what so they can score more goals past us or to blast the balls into fullbacks or is it to watch him do his little swivel donkey dance before he passes back to a CB.
More useful? Who Januzaj or Pereira, I'd like to see that too or being LVG it be more Fellaini, Weir, Keane etc. Depay hasn't played well in a while and he hasn't adapted to the PL, remind you of anyone? Di Maria whos on fire now because he's being used for his ability, talented and he's allowed to express himself not suppress himself and played in a boring systematic philosophy with no flair or eagerness to take the game to the opposition.

C'est Moi Cantona

Refuse to judge him properly on this season, he like everyone else who has been crap (obvious aside), deserve another chance under a new manager.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Valencia? For what so they can score more goals past us or to blast the balls into fullbacks or is it to watch him do his little swivel donkey dance before he passes back to a CB.
More or less, yes. Basically, more of the same.

[QUOTE="wiz4231, post: 19036452, member: 84431"remind you of anyone? Di Maria whos on fire now because he's being used for his ability, talented and he's allowed to express himself not suppress himself and played in a boring systematic philosophy with no flair or eagerness to take the game to the opposition.[/QUOTE]

No, not really. He's nothing like Di Maria.

Reminds me of Obertan though. Clumsy as feck when he's playing against third rate teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.