Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Those talking about his talent always have to relate it to how he performed in the past though. It's relevant when you look at that leagues top scorer list from last season that it's a lot easier to score goals in that league than it is in England.
That's got nothing to do with Memphis' individual talent. Its also "much easier" to score goals in France and we've bought Ibra and Martial over the past 12 months.

acnumber9

That's got nothing to do with Memphis' individual talent. Its also "much easier" to score goals in France and we've bought Ibra and Martial over the past 12 months.
Yeah but if he only displays that talent in that league or against teams of a lower level then people will obviously begin to doubt whether he's actually that talented which is all that's happened. People have already questioned that Ibrahimovic will be able to score as many as he did in France and plenty questioned Martial. Happily Martial has shown for Utd that he's a talented player. Depay hasn't.

Bournemouth 1:3 Man Utd

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Yeah but if he only displays that talent in that league or against teams of a lower level then people will obviously begin to doubt whether he's actually that talented which is all that's happened. People have already questioned that Ibrahimovic will be able to score as many as he did in France and plenty questioned Martial. Happily Martial has shown for Utd that he's a talented player. Depay hasn't.
That's a shame since the league has no correlation to a player's individual talent. As has been mentioned, the Dutch league has produced a laudndry list of players infinitely better than Memphis who replicated their talent in many other leagues during their careers. It is therefore down to the individual and not the perceived strength of the league.

acnumber9

That's a shame since the league has no correlation to a player's individual talent. As has been mentioned, the Dutch league has produced a laudndry list of players infinitely better than Memphis who replicated their talent in many other leagues during their careers. It is therefore down to the individual and not the perceived strength of the league.
It does if they can't translate it to playing at a higher level. Anyone saying that a player is shit because of the league they came from is obviously wrong. Is that what people are doing though? Surely people are just saying that he's not as talented as some think because he's only displayed it in a clearly poor level of competition.

Shark

@NotShark
Promising cameo. You can see what Mourinho is already doing for his confidence.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
He did better than usual, other than giving the ball away in the box for that injury time scramble.

Ferguson

Against another team that mistake in the box would have cost us.

He showed some positives as an attacker, but if he wants to get more minutes, then he has to stop the defensive errors

ricky-romeo

He did better than usual, other than giving the ball away in the box for that injury time scramble.
This. Some nice attempt going forward but need to stop taking risk near our own penalty box. He did had a few defensive feck ups last season as well.need to cut this out.

Cantona'sCollar

A good point definitely, he was the best player in the Eredivisie by quite a distance and highly rated by alot of big teams so there must be something else hes not shown us yet.
Yeah, that's what I feel. It's not like there is any other player who destroyed the Eredivisie (Huntelaar, Bony, RvN) who are any worse than Depay of 15/16 - it's obvious he's not at the level he can be at. There's more to it than calling him flat track, because it's as if it's his twin brother playing. He hasn't shown us anything yet.

Memphis struggled with the Dutch NT too and was dropped . Van Gaal had nothing to do with that.

What the Eredivisie perfomances show and the majority of his good perfomances here show is that he is able to turn it on against poorer players. However whenever he faces an improvement in quality,he tends to struggle big time.
True, though I watched a lot of the NT performances over the last few seasons and there were games when he was putting 3 or 4 chances on a plate for Huntelaar or RVP and they wouldn't convert anything. His two best games of the run in were against a tough Watford side and Arsenal, so he's definitely capable of making the step up in quality.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Memphis struggled with the Dutch NT too and was dropped . Van Gaal had nothing to do with that.
No chance his confidence and consistency was gone in club colours so was gone for NT as well?

Hard to turn it on and off. If it's off, it's off.

Tiber

I still think that Depay can be a superstar. Hope Jose can get him back on track

WhoDaGOAT

Memphis gave Bellerín the run around last season, so don't tell me he can't perform against athletic full-backs.

It's a matter of confidence and excessive muscle mass, in my opinion.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I thought he did some good things in his short cameo. The only negative was him trying to dribble the ball in our own penalty box.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He shouldn't be allowed in the defensive third, makes too many mistakes there. Think he will be a lot better going forward though

montpelier

He's just hilariously bad to be playing at the very top. Brainless, shouldn't be allowed in own half as said. Not enough pace or awareness to to truly frighten anybody any good going forward. The only positives thus far are that he has tricks to roast poor players with, shoots well occasionally. That's your lot.

Memphis DeMilne isn't a totally unfair comparison.

Sigma

Give him a game against Hull. Martial looks slightly out of sorts and I think a rest and for him to sit back for a bit would do him well. Also, Memphis will want to seize this opportunity and hopefully we will have 2 potential stars in form and fighting for the same spot

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Give him a game against Hull. Martial looks slightly out of sorts and I think a rest and for him to sit back for a bit would do him well. Also, Memphis will want to seize this opportunity and hopefully we will have 2 potential stars in form and fighting for the same spot
No way. Better start Mkhi or Lingard if we have to change Martial.

Welbeckham

He should be at the bottom of the pecking order. Outside today's XI Mhkitaryan, Lingard, Rashford, Herrera and Young should all be ahead of him (not necessarily for the exact same position). He isn't good enough.

He's just hilariously bad to be playing at the very top. Brainless, shouldn't be allowed in own half as said. Not enough pace or awareness to to truly frighten anybody any good going forward. The only positives thus far are that he has tricks to roast poor players with, shoots well occasionally. That's your lot.

Memphis DeMilne isn't a totally unfair comparison.
Exactly. Outside the nowadays lightweight Eredivisie, he hasn't shown anything. In the competetive international matches he has been quite useless, and his WC2014 performance is heavily overrated here. And his last season was amongst the all-time worst by any United player.

I would like him to succeed, but there are just loads of better players out there.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

I think he should be played in Europa cup or the League cup. Play a full 90 minutes, hopefully do well because its against lower opposition and regain confidence.

If he can do that, then phase him in vis sub minutes into the PL 1st XI.

podurban2

I bet Memphis loves Ibra, hopefully Ibra can have a good influence on him confidence wise.

kr0nix

I bet Memphis loves Ibra, hopefully Ibra can have a good influence on him confidence wise.
I think he will. I'd like for him to get a run out soon as I think he's got the talent to make it here.

carlosp

We can only hope. I don't see them mentioning Ibra giving Memphis tips but I can only hope.

The Swedish hit man has started the campaign in fine form, hitting three Premier League goals in two appearances.

Ibrahimovic's arrival has seen the likes of Marcus Rashford relegated to the bench.

Ibrahimovic is doing his bit to help the fringe stars get into the first team.

The report claims he is staying behind after training to give Rashford some tips on shooting.

A club source told the paper: "Zlatan has been staying behind at end of regular training sessions working on his shooting and free-kicks.

“He has also been giving Rashford, Martial and Lingard finishing tips as well. He is keen to help the younger players.

"Zlatan looks to be someone who will be good at coaching the youngsters. He has a natural ability to teach and wants to help them improve.

“This sessions have been helping Rashford a lot, as he is only just starting out in what is going to be a long career for him.”

Ibrahimovic netted a double in United's 2-0 win over Southampton on Friday and he is expected to start against Hull this weekend.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Telegraph says he's for sale but the club want close to what they paid for him.
I.e. He's not going anywhere.

MD7

Telegraph says he's for sale but the club want close to what they paid for him.
I.e. He's not going anywhere.
Haha Telegraph, that's the exact opposite of what Mourinho said a couple of weeks ago.

Last season is something I don't want to go into too much where Memphis is concerned; all I know is the player that I watched in the 2014 World Cup and the player I watched many times at PSV. With that player in mind, I know I want to keep him - I want to try everything to help him succeed. So far, I have seen a good and professional boy. You can see him driving a nice car and you might think that this guy's not thinking about football, but that is not the case. The kid thinks about football a lot and he suffers because he is frustrated with what happened last season, but he will be back. It’s natural that players are happier when they’re playing. In September, we will have the League Cup, the Europa League and the Premier League, so September will be the end of the frustration for these players. Everybody will play in these months and I still believe in Memphis. Source

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Simply isn't going to get enough game time to change things around.

peridigm

He'll be given starts or sub appearances in the cups. Probably see him or Young on the left in the cups. Doubt he'll get many starts for EL at least initially.

Status
Not open for further replies.