4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyJ1985

The guy played 2 matches in pre-season, and 10min in PL, and people expect him to put in a great performance... Showed more than Martial who got much more game time in the last few weeks in games that actually meant something. He was more active on the pitch, showed that he actually cared, worked hard, and made 2 mistakes, from which 1 was a setpiece so next time just let someone else take it.

He should start Sunday.
Can't understand why anyone (other than rivals who want to see us lose) would want Depay to start in a premier league match.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
That was one of his better appearances for Utd and he was still total shite.
This sums it up for me.
I can't beleve that some fans are willing to accept these types of performances.
Standards have fallen to such ridiculous levels that even when Depay plays badly, the reaction is, "well, he wasn't as bad as player X".
Is this now the standard which our players aspire to: aim to not be the worst player on the pitch. Rather than: aim to be the best player on the pitch.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
The guy played 2 matches in pre-season, and 10min in PL, and people expect him to put in a great performance...
Yes. When a player is fighting for his career, I expect him to show huge effort/passion.
Look at Herrera - lack of match practise however, he gave huge effort and this was evident.
Pogba (after his long holiday) came to OT and in his first game (no pre-season, not even 10 minutes), he put in his best performances for us so far.
Didn't Gundogan have a long term injury and in his first game back, perform well for MCFC?

Some of you think that players not playing for us are sitting at home with their feet up. This is not the case. They are training hard and practising so that when they get their chance they can grab it.

MD7

Yes. When a player is fighting for his career, I expect him to show huge effort/passion.
Look at Herrera - lack of match practise however, he gave huge effort and this was evident.
Pogba (after his long holiday) came to OT and in his first game (no pre-season, not even 10 minutes), he put in his best performances for us so far.
Didn't Gundogan have a long term injury and in his first game back, perform well for MCFC?

Some of you think that players not playing for us are sitting at home with their feet up. This is not the case. They are training hard and practising so that when they get their chance they can grab it.
I actually thought he was showing a lot of passion and effort. He tracked all the way back to RB position to get a ball back after someone lost it in a setpiece. Was practically working hard the whole 30min he played.

We might have seen much more if he had time to get in the game, which is why I hope he starts against Watford. Don't see anyone who is going to play better on that position than him currently since most are out of form

Northampton 1:3 Man Utd

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I know it's Northampton etc, but Memphis makes clever runs. He's already made one good run and I think it was Carrick who picked him out.

How many players in our team make those penetrating runs?

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
He very often makes good runs tbf to him. Even in his poorest form he's still making positive runs.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
I've always thought he's a good footballer, hope he gets more chances.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I know it's Northampton etc, but Memphis makes clever runs. He's already made one good run and I think it was Carrick who picked him out.

How many players in our team make those penetrating runs?
Part of the reason why I always feel like he'd be best as a striker or a #10. As a winger, he doesn't have the acceleration/agility or really the intelligence to play that position properly while he tries to dribble past players too often or just makes it too obvious when he's cutting in. . Up top he has good off the ball movement, is fast and strong enough to make a good impact, is normally a good finisher, and pretty good all around on the ball with the ability to play decent passes. Probably won't ever be quite good enough anyway but still can be a decent player there.

FC Ronaldo

We dont have anyone to unlock those passes unfortunately, this is the main reason he did so well at PSV.
I know. Slow, floating diagonal passes to the right back we've got nailed to an art though so it's swings and roundabouts really.

Bubz27

Part of the reason why I always feel like he'd be best as a striker or a #10. As a winger, he doesn't have the acceleration/agility or really the intelligence to play that position properly while he tries to dribble past players too often or just makes it too obvious when he's cutting in. . Up top he has good off the ball movement, is fast and strong enough to make a good impact, is normally a good finisher, and pretty good all around on the ball with the ability to play decent passes. Probably won't ever be quite good enough anyway but still can be a decent player there.
I can see that logic.
Or as a real wide forward, not the deeper winger position we usually play him in.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
I can see that logic.
Or as a real wide forward, not the deeper winger position we usually play him in.
Agreed, he's no typical winger. He just isnt as gifted as the Hazards, Martial's, Ousmane Dembele's and doesnt have that dribbling, technique and trickery. He does make very good runs, is fast, strong and when he has confidence normally a good finisher with direct and effective dribbling, but that might not be good enough as it looks. I think he'd flourish at a club like Liverpool, they play more like PSV did, a lot of attacking players, fast and optimistic football with counters and players making runs.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I've always thought he's a good footballer, hope he gets more chances.
What gave you that impression? He looks awful. He never seems to have any control over the ball. It just bobbles around all over the place when he gets the ball.

JB08

What gave you that impression? He looks awful. He never seems to have any control over the ball. It just bobbles around all over the place when he gets the ball.
As a few have mentioned above, his overall movement is impressive. He showed flashes of ability in his first season for us, but far from often enough, or against any high-quality opposition. His last season for PSV was also obviously fantastic, and you don't have a season like that aged 20 unless you have some real talent.

I agree though, that his spell here has been very disappointing thus far.

Bwuk

Think he suffers from playing a lot wider in the 4231 than he would as a wide forward in a 433.

Globule

As a few have mentioned above, his overall movement is impressive. He showed flashes of ability in his first season for us, but far from often enough, or against any high-quality opposition. His last season for PSV was also obviously fantastic, and you don't have a season like that aged 20 unless you have some real talent.

I agree though, that his spell here has been very disappointing thus far.
There's players scoring 20+ in League One. Doesn't mean they're cut out for the top level. Depay will never become the player we thought we'd bought.

Sammyjunn

We also lose to league 1 sides too.

Might be well on our way to another one tonight.
Look at some of the PSV, Ajax, Feyenoord, AZ results in Europe as well then. The overrating of the PL to other leagues on here is hilarious. Sure the PL is much better but not everything outside England is shit. Feyenoord and PSV actually play better football than we do with lesser players. That's what you get when you hire coaches who use tactics and not just put 11 men in the field to go do something.

Globule

Dont compare Eredivisie to league One when we get beat by PSV and Feyenoord consecutively.
I'm not. I'm using them as examples to illustrate the same point. Being good in league X doesn't necessarily mean you can make the step up.

Sammyjunn

I'm not. I'm using them as examples to illustrate the same point. Being good in league X doesn't necessarily mean you can make the step up.
So does it for the PL. Schneiderlin and Fellaini were some of the best in their position but yet not good enough so it has little relevance. Players who come from.the PL and are "proven", fail here as well.

Globule

So does it for the PL. Schneiderlin and Fellaini were some of the best in their position but yet not good enough so it has little relevance. Players who come from.the PL and are "proven", fail here as well.
Yeah. I didn't saying anything to the contrary. All I'm saying is that the argument 'you don't have a season like Depay had in Holland unless you've got real talent' is wrong.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Look at some of the PSV, Ajax, Feyenoord, AZ results in Europe as well then. The overrating of the PL to other leagues on here is hilarious. Sure the PL is much better but not everything outside England is shit. Feyenoord and PSV actually play better football than we do with lesser players. That's what you get when you hire coaches who use tactics and not just put 11 men in the field to go do something.
I don't overrate the EPL.Don't even think it's the best league in the world.

We aren't really a standard to be held against.

JB08

There's players scoring 20+ in League One. Doesn't mean they're cut out for the top level. Depay will never become the player we thought we'd bought.
Don't really get your point.

Bubz27

He needs games like today where he does the simple things and doesn't do anything silly. He isn't trying to beat too many men, he's moving the ball on quickly and crisply for the most part.

FC Ronaldo

Good showing today I thought. Definitely didn't deserve to be hauled off while other attackers remained on the field.

Baxter

Honestly thought he was okay. Tried to play at pace round the edge of the box and was good in possession.

drdoityourself

He was one of the brighter players for me. Kept things simple yet positive. Mourinho doesn't seem to have any interest in building him up.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Very harsh to take him off, he was our best attacking player

Status
Not open for further replies.