4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ti vu

He isn't even like that, he is like Cavani when played on the left, without the incredible workrate, stamina and decent finishing.
You got me wrong on my second post. I agree Memphis is like a forward. Only to clarify that people often mistakes Memphis in Nani's winger group.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
You got me wrong on my second post. I agree Memphis is like a forward. Only to clarify that people often mistakes Memphis in Nani's winger group.
Ah yeah, you are right. When we signed him, I did said that he wasn't a dribbler nor a creator, he can dribble and he can be effective on the wing like he showed against Carvajal but it's not his natural game, Memphis has one quality it's his runs without the ball, if we play in a system that exploits them, he will be usefull. And he was better than Januzaj yesterday with someone like Micki who creates space and run opportunities for his teammates, his finishing was poor though.

ottosec

The way things are going, he will be behind not only Martial, but also Januzaj and Young for the LW position. He's lucky Martial isn't going to China and he'll have a couple more chances, but if he performs like he did against Wigan, he's gone.

I was very excited when we signed him, but it seems like the fame got to his head. He's got Ronaldo like arrogance and Bebe like skills. Disappointing.

Full bodied red

Anyone ever seen him score a goal with his left foot ? Or with his head ?

He's one dimensional and not very good at that one, either, if last year was what to expect this year as well.

Time for both him and us to move on.

ti vu

He's one dimensional and not very good at that one, either, if last year was what to expect this year as well.

Can't recall header. He scored against PSV and Watford with left foots (2 good goals). The latter is one that shows he has good off ball movement.

POF

Mourinho isn't a miracle worker.

They are far better options ahead of him that will be utilised. Sitting in the bench as a result wont do much for his confidence.
I don't know if there are. If you play with a creative number 10 then you need goals from the wings. Memphis has more goals in him than any of United's wide options other than Martial.

Confidence is on the very end of his issues list.
I think the complete opposite. His confidence was absolutely shot to bits last season. He got progressively and significantly worse as the season went on.

ti vu

Don't remember PSV.

But the Watford one was from inside the 6 yard area, on-the-volley, no ? Not a pure strike.
If you meant pure strike, then he hasn't scored one for us with his left foot that I can remember. The volley vs Watford is still pretty good. PSV one he danced off the defense at shot through the legs of keepers. Both are forwards kind of finish.

To people who said there is no relation to confidence, I disagree. He's clearly shot in confidence. When confident he added more silky moves. Here he keeps thing simpler (in his way).

MDFC Manager

He's one of the worst headers of the ball that I've seen. So it's unlikely he's scored one.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I don't know if there are. If you play with a creative number 10 then you need goals from the wings. Memphis has more goals in him than any of United's wide options other than Martial.

I think the complete opposite. His confidence was absolutely shot to bits last season. He got progressively and significantly worse as the season went on.
Lingard has goals in him too and has shown more in his game than Depay has here.

Young is a better winger in terms of chance creation and beating his man. He also seems to link very well with his fullback and covers well for them when they bomb foward

Micky can play on the wings and has both goals and assists in him.

Martial needs no explanation .

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Not good enough. Have really no fecking idea why we signed him in the first place. Did anyone really think he was anywhere near good enough even at PSV?!? fecking LVG.

LouisDanGaal

Not good enough. Have really no fecking idea why we signed him in the first place. Did anyone really think he was anywhere near good enough even at PSV?!? fecking LVG.
Yeah pretty much just one guy, I think his name was max and because none of the rest of us had seen him we were all convinced, the place was in a frenzy desperate to get the lad. I do think he has quality though and fancy him to improve significantly this season.

Shark

@NotShark
If it was up to me, I'd cut lose and purchase someone else as back up to Martial. I really hope he proves me wrong but I just don't think he'll make it here and will only stink up the pitch for us next season.

MD7

Memphis has a big fan, or pays someone to make a video of every ball he touches during a game, and make a compilation from it. So it's very easy to pinpoint everything he did right or wrong, and discuss it.

Borys

Statistics Wizard

Why do you think so? As far as I remember last season the more he struggled the more difficult things he tried. He might not be very confident but it's the lack of skills that holds him back at the moment.

POF

Lingard has goals in him too and has shown more in his game than Depay has here.

Young is a better winger in terms of chance creation and beating his man. He also seems to link very well with his fullback and covers well for them when they bomb foward

Micky can play on the wings and has both goals and assists in him.

Martial needs no explanation .
Memphis is a beautiful striker of the ball and is clinical one on one. He just looks natural in front of goal. If he doesn't improve he won't score a thing but if he hits form I think he could be a huge goal threat.

Lingard will score here and there but will never get huge numbers. The others you've mentioned (except Martial) are more creators than scorers.

Why do you think so? As far as I remember last season the more he struggled the more difficult things he tried. He might not be very confident but it's the lack of skills that holds him back at the moment.
He looked good early on in the season. Once his form dropped he couldn't get out of it. Confidence makes a huge difference especially for young attacking players. I still remember the back header that caused a goal in the gale at Stoke. He looked defeated.

MD7

Are you sure its not you?
Don't have the time for that. Btw after viewing that video, I found Memphis to be quite average, remembered it differently

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
This won't be his breakthrough season. Time to accept that he's a flop and move on. I would rather see minutes given to the youngsters who can actually do something anyway.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Memphis is a beautiful striker of the ball and is clinical one on one. He just looks natural in front of goal. If he doesn't improve he won't score a thing but if he hits form I think he could be a huge goal threat.

Lingard will score here and there but will never get huge numbers. The others you've mentioned (except Martial) are more creators than scorers.
I don't get it, first you say he's clinical and then he won't score a thing if he doesn't improve.

He looked good early on in the season. Once his form dropped he couldn't get out of it. Confidence makes a huge difference especially for young attacking players. I still remember the back header that caused a goal in the gale at Stoke. He looked defeated.
No he did not. Shaw was in beast mode that's why our left flank was dangerous. Depay never looked even remotely close to good.

Last edited:

Nighteyes

Another Muppet

Except Depay did miss sitters last season even 1v1's with the keeper.

He did not look good early on. He had about 3 good games to start of with and that's probably being very generous in itself.

The confidence thing is just another in a long line of excuses that don't make any sense. Did he suddenly become supremely confident against the midgets and thenimmediately lose his confidence after that?

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"

As a winger you have to be both a greater and able to chip in with a couple of goals.

Memphis is thouroughly lacking in many of this requirements.

Jose will not play him simply because 'he is a beautiful striker of the ball' unless he improves elsewhere.

Loublaze

ATLien
Did anyone really think he was anywhere near good enough even at PSV?!? fecking LVG.
He was PSV's top scorer the season he left, and he scored the most goals in Europe among players under the age of 21

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Not sure how much game time he will get this season. Best chance for him is if he moves to the #10 position or tries to become a striker. He simply isnt a good winger and should be behind martial, mkhitaryan, young, lingard and even Januzaj out there. As the 10 he would be behind Mkhitaryan (if he plays there), rooney and mata, but beither of those 2 have convinced recently so he could have a bit of a shot there. Up front we just have Ibra, rashford and rooney/martial who will likely play elsewhere so thats an opportunity for him to get gametime. He looks a lot more suited to those positions anyway. It would be a lie to say he has no talent at all, but its a strange skill set. He is strong but doesn't know how to use that effectively yet. Has a good first touch but not that great at running with the ball and can't dribble past players much. Is normally a good finisher though we haven't seen that yet. Very average pace and acceleration though he seems the type to be quick, but he has good off the ball movement to pick up good positions. Is a pretty good and creative passer, just doesn't show it too much as he always wants to cut inside and shoot. That's why I think he would be best as a 9 or 10 and its his only chance really. If Mourinho doesn't see him as that then we might as well sell him as he won't play on the wing.

CamuNoir

I'm 100% sure if he signed for liverpool and played exactly same as he did last season, every single one on this forum would have laughed at them.
Memphis is a one lucky boy. Don't get how he still has so many fans who just repeat "he will do well" "he has potential" "its van gaal's fault" like a parrot.

I can confidently say he is a failure and he's not good enough to play for us and even in this league.
Dutch league is full of scarecrow defenders who just let everyone pass through them.

Status
Not open for further replies.