4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MD7

This is true. But Rooney is undroppable.
Memphis is almost always on the bench or doesn't even make the bench, so won't attract so much flack.

And for the record, I have said since last season: Memphis is a Championship level player. He can't do any damage to an EPL team, but he can definitely hurt a lower league team.
Unfortunately, he was not able to do anything against Northampton, so perhaps even Championship/League One is a little too tough for him now.
League Two, maybe?
Yeah league two level... he killed every opposition in the eredivisie, killed feyenoord (you know the team that won from us, the top 4 EPL team). But sure Memphis is league two level...

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
May be dodgy on the ball some times but, some of the runs he makes are pretty good. Our winger spots are up for grabs, only Rashford looks worthy of a certain start over there.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
This is true. But Rooney is undroppable.
Memphis is almost always on the bench or doesn't even make the bench, so won't attract so much flack.

And for the record, I have said since last season: Memphis is a Championship level player. He can't do any damage to an EPL team, but he can definitely hurt a lower league team.
Unfortunately, he was not able to do anything against Northampton, so perhaps even Championship/League One is a little too tough for him now.
League Two, maybe?
And Ibra did even less, he's what? Conference level?

tomaldinho1

You're all agreeing he did much better last game!!

We played Northampton!

I'm sorry but how on earth can you judge him on that game.
Obviouly not PL level opposition but I think it was more the manner in which he played, seemed a lot more inclined to pass and wasn't always trying to take people on.

I don't think anyone is suggesting he is suddenly a world beater but your comment was 'All skills but no brain to go with it, seems more clueless with every game.' which I think is unfair given he looked to finally be playing a bit more with his head, albeit against N'hampton.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I've been massively critical of him since he signed but the other night i was pleased with his performance. I felt that it was the type of performance he's needed to put in for a long time. He kept things simple, worked for the team and had some dangerous moments.

It might not sound much, but for a player that has been individualistic and not showed any intelligence on the pitch since he arrived, it was a welcome performance. The building blocks to now base his game on.

With that in mind, he should be given an opportunity today. From the start or a good amount of time From the bench. If he can continue then there's no reason why he won't quickly move ahead of the likes of Lingard.

To be fair, now i think of it, i think he's had a couple of decent cameos really this season which have gone unnoticed due to our overall form and results etc. Perhaps Jose is having a good effect on him.

Devil may care

All the red tops carrying the story tonight that AC Milan want him on loan in January with a £24M permanent deal in the summer.

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007
I am a fan of depay, I think he can turn it around.

But that milan deal - I'd take it.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Sounds too good to be true. It would be fantastic if we could recoup what we paid for him. I've got no hope that he could be consistently good enough for Utd.

C'est Moi Cantona

He'd probably do ok in Serie A, he just needs a bit of love and to have some confidence put back into him, he's clearly not world class, but there's no way he's as bad as he looks for us.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Thursday night is tailor made for him, hope he gets a game

Bwuk

If we aren't going to use him we should take that Milan offer.

I think theres a potentially great player in there.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
He's 3rd choice left winger now, behind Martial and Rashford.

Feel for the guy, and think he would jump for a move to Milan because they're still considered a "prestigious club." But I think the ideal move for him would be to go to Everton. They play good football and have a Dutch manager who rates him (Koeman tried to bring Depay to Southampton before we came into the picture).

JON.B

Sloop
Thought he looked bright the brief time he was on the pitch, badly needs minutes if he's to improve and have a real future here though.

MD7

Not really enough time to have an opinion about him. He made 9 ball touches, and played 10min. Hope he gets more time in the following weeks so that he at least gets a chance to prove himself.

criticalanalysis

The best compliment I can give him was that he didn't look out of place in the team, which is always a good thing. He's need to show to Mourinho he is dependable and can adapt to the style of the team before he earns his minutes. After that then we need to see some quality and individual brilliance, which he has.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Thought he did alright tbh. Needs more minutes in the europa league and EFL cup and needs to take his chances when they come though. As it is.... Martial, rashford, mkhitaryan, lingard, mata, rooney are ahead and Young seems about level. Martial and rashford are younger but way better, while Mkhitaryan is a level he will probably never reach. So really, the best he can hope for is being first choice back up on the left or something. Bit of a shame because of how highly rated he was, but I dont think he'll ever be more then a squad player so he's one of those that will need to move on to be a starter somewhere (like Januzaj)

iKeano

Too slow on the ball. Too easily outmuscled for a muscly guy. Don't think he Ahas the temperament to make it at Utd.
Never felt that he was going to have a positive impact on the game and he didn't.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He needs to be loaned out I feel. He has stagnated where he doesn't play regularly, but when he does get the opportunity he doesn't do much with it.

He needs a season long loan somewhere he will play every week, then we will see what he's really got. Getting in over Rashford or Martial won't be easy for him.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I agree - a loan to a team like Wolfsburg (like KDB did) would be a great opportunity.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
I agree - a loan to a team like Wolfsburg (like KDB did) would be a great opportunity.
Here's the important thing for me, do you believe he would come back from Wolfsburg having grown to be a good player for them? Or just get the odd few games and come back much in the same situation? That's what worries me..

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Here's the important thing for me, do you believe he would come back from Wolfsburg having grown to be a good player for them? Or just get the odd few games and come back much in the same situation? That's what worries me..
I think by sending him on loan, we'd be able to tell whether he's up to our standards or not. We aren't helping ourselves nor him by having him operate on a side role where he can't even get into the Europa first XI.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
I think by sending him on loan, we'd be able to tell whether he's up to our standards or not. We aren't helping ourselves nor him by having him operate on a side role where he can't even get into the Europa first XI.
I think we know the answer and doing so would only decrease his value

MD7

He needs games!
Indeed, mostly this. He hasn't been given proper chances this season yet, only against Northampton he was an actual starter, and he played well. This month there are enough games that we can give him a chance, against Fenerbahce, and even City. Mostly that last one, because if he can perform against City in the League Cup, then he can perform in the PL. Which is the biggest question currently

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
It's a cycle. Nani fell victim to it.

Out of form so gets dropped. Gets rare, limited opportunities and tries too hard to pull off the spectacular. It doesn't come off. He doesn't get back into the team. Gets an opportunity for whatever reason. Tries too hard again.

What he needs to do is the little things correctly. Like he did v Northampton. Get your firat touch consistent. Get the ball moving quickly. Build up your confidence and then your natural game flows. Don't try to smash it in from 30 yards.

By nature, wingers play a risky game. Crosses are statistically the lowest %age passes on the pitch (I have nothing to back that up btw, just take my word for it okay). Also take ons and dribbles are risky. My personal opinion with wingers is that they need to feel trusted and have the freedom to take risks. Nani, Memphis, Valencia and Young have all basically failed here in recent years despite showing real promise at one point in their respective careers at some point.

The one season Nani had full backing from his manager he got something like 17 assists or something iirc. The one season where he knew he'd basically be starting week in, week out.

Personally I've seen enough of Memphis to know there is something there. And I feel as a club with a £62m! (up to £25m) odd investment in him, we should do more to help him realise the potential instead of binning him off and getting somebody else.

Jaybomb

I thought he was a pacey tricky winger with a big long shot on him? We haven't seen any of this at United.

I was expecting a player like Hulk. Now I'm thinking we should have just signed Hulk if thats what we were after.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
I thought he was a pacey tricky winger with a big long shot on him? We haven't seen any of this at United.

I was expecting a player like Hulk. Now I'm thinking we should have just signed Hulk if thats what we were after.
I really wonder how come his shot has been so woeful for us. This is footage from today's training but I havent seen him hit a decent ball almost once..

izec

I really wonder how come his shot has been so woeful for us. This is footage from today's training but I havent seen him hit a decent ball almost once..
Yep, his shots are nearly always struggling to make it on goal and most of the time he barely hits it cleanly.

Good shots in the video, on target and powerful, both things i havent seen 99% of the time for us in games

Status
Not open for further replies.