Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I can't believe we shipped out a good local lad, who had lots of talent, in Danny Welbeck, to bring in hopeless wankers like Memphis, and a hopeful punt in Falcao. I know things haven't worked out that well for Welbeck at Arsenal, but everyone seems to get career threatening injuries over there. Must be something in the water.

Welbeck may never have become a world beater, but he was a good player, with great pace, nice close control and a terrific engine. He was also local, and United through and through. We just haven't had enough of that 'die for the shirt' mentality since Ferguson left. He (Fergie) understood the power of passion, and it's why people often say that he got great performances out of "average" teams. It's the same reason he loved Phil Jones, and something I've been irritatingly bleating on about for ages, - that those players who lay it all on the line, who never give up - have huge value to the team as a whole.

I think Mourinho is starting to get this mindset back into the team, and you see it in their performances.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I understand you are frustrated about the Memphis situation, but Wellbeck is not the player to use to prove your point.
Wellbeck - a non scoring striker if I've ever seen one.
I do agree that he is far better than Memphis, but neither belong in a top team. I'm shocked that AFC agreed to buy him.

With regards to Memphis, our hand was forced because PSG were in for Memphis and making a deal with him, so LVG decided to take a punt, before he signed with PSG.
When he was first signed many fans on this forum were behaving like we'd signed Messi (I kid you not), so just as LVG was "fooled", so were many fans.
Myself, I believed A.Young would be our LW for most of last season, with Memphis being phased in, gradually. What actually happened was Memphis was our LW (starter), for the first half of the season, while A.Young was put on the bench. After being consistently dire, LVG benched Memphis permanently for the 2nd half of the season.

When I judge a player, I always wait to see what he does for MUFC...not what he did for his previous club, which is why I was never convinced of Memphis' abilities.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
I don't mind him being sold. Was a good response, funny one too
Fair enough mate!

It's a shame how Depay has worked out here....was so excited when he signed. We really need to improve that area

Kopral Jono

I can't believe we shipped out a good local lad, who had lots of talent, in Danny Welbeck, to bring in hopeless wankers like Memphis, and a hopeful punt in Falcao. I know things haven't worked out that well for Welbeck at Arsenal, but everyone seems to get career threatening injuries over there. Must be something in the water.

Welbeck may never have become a world beater, but he was a good player, with great pace, nice close control and a terrific engine. He was also local, and United through and through. We just haven't had enough of that 'die for the shirt' mentality since Ferguson left. He (Fergie) understood the power of passion, and it's why people often say that he got great performances out of "average" teams. It's the same reason he loved Phil Jones, and something I've been irritatingly bleating on about for ages, - that those players who lay it all on the line, who never give up - have huge value to the team as a whole.

I think Mourinho is starting to get this mindset back into the team, and you see it in their performances.
Good post. I like the way you describe Memphis as a hopeless wanker.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"

Welbeck had wanted to leave though.

Remember the rumours of him leaving intensified while Moyes was still manager here.

Plus Welbeck is pretty average too( Memphis is worse) but as a club we should be looking at a higher standard than both.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Welbeck had wanted to leave though.

Remember the rumours of him leaving intensified while Moyes was still manager here.

Plus Welbeck is pretty average too( Memphis is worse) but as a club we should be looking at a higher standard than both.
Yes because he was getting shoved down the pecking order by Van Gaal. Who didn't have a clue about recruitment.

As I said, Welbeck wasn't a world beater but he was pretty good. You need team players and players who will run their tits off for their team mates. It's why I like Lingard.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Schneiderlin? At least Memphis has won us some games in Europe, Morgan has done absolutely nothing.
Its easier to see the contributions of a winger in the front 3 compared to a holding midfielder if you're looking at "winning us a game". Midget-land doesn't really count as much for Depay > Schneiderlin (who by the way had a very good start for us before fading off under LVG).

Mr.Plow

Welbeck is hardly an example of a player who'd die for the shirt seeing as he asked to leave.

Such an average player, he wasn't good enough here and he was deluded in thinking he'd be a regular at Arsenal.

Losing Nani for Depay was the real shame.

TheSweeper

Disagree - that's what let him down the most.

I'm not bothered by welbeck - Lingard is 3x the players easily. It's Lingard & Rashford that shunted Memphis out permanently so welbeck would have still left being very average technically compared to all 3 + Martial.

FahadiHossein

I just saw a news report that now this guy was smoking shisha in Rotterdam. Not exactly sure how accurate report is. I'm not a fan of this news website that I got this information from but if this were true, I think his career is over.

wc18

I just saw a news report that now this guy was smoking shisha in Rotterdam. Not exactly sure how accurate report is. I'm not a fan of this news website that I got this information from but if this were true, I think his career is over.
A player who is not even featuring in match day squads is caught smoking so their career is over?
He just needs to move to a smaller club and get back to business. Why are you writing him off?

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Why? What's the problem?

OohAahMartial

Yeah the Sun reported it. Don't think his career is over, but his Machester United one probably is. Guy just seems too immature for football at its highest level.

King.of.Red

for his football career, it still wont be over I think since he can play for small club. but his United career, it's possible. and I really hope United will throw away this guy.

Ainu

His time here was up anyway, don't think Mourinho even gives a shit about this. He's gone in January. He's a nothing player and I strongly doubt he'll ever be any more than that. He loves playing against shite teams so there's still a chance of making a career in some second rate league.

edcunited1878

Memphis has no footballing brain relying on whatever instinct, self confidence and skill he thinks will come off.

That back headed pass against Stoke at Stoke that went two yards instead of 20 next to his own box was the most moronic display of football. Unacceptable.

dichinero

Memphis has no footballing brain relying on whatever instinct, self confidence and skill he thinks will come off.

That back headed pass against Stoke at Stoke that went two yards instead of 20 next to his own box was the most moronic display of football. Unacceptable.
Criticisms have reached a new low. I'm guessing you don't watch much football.

MD7

lol who cares... are we really thinking that all football players don't do anything fun, that might have a 0.01% influence on their performance? They are football players with a lot of money that do whatever they want, a lot of them sleep with whoever they want, smoke whatever they want, and drink what they want. We really shouldn't care about small things like this as long as it doesn't influence their performance. Since he is being sold in January, barely sits on the bench, and it's just some smoke with apple flavor we really shouldn't care

FahadiHossein

A player who is not even featuring in match day squads is caught smoking so their career is over?
He just needs to move to a smaller club and get back to business. Why are you writing him off?
Yeah the Sun reported it. Don't think his career is over, but his Machester United one probably is. Guy just seems too immature for football at its highest level.
for his football career, it still wont be over I think since he can play for small club. but his United career, it's possible. and I really hope United will throw away this guy.
His careers over for smoking shisha? :lol::lol:
I didn't specific it correctly becauseno I wrote that quickly. I meant that his United career is over.

Last edited:

FahadiHossein

lol who cares... are we really thinking that all football players don't do anything fun, that might have a 0.01% influence on their performance? They are football players with a lot of money that do whatever they want, a lot of them sleep with whoever they want, smoke whatever they want, and drink what they want. We really shouldn't care about small things like this as long as it doesn't influence their performance. Since he is being sold in January, barely sits on the bench, and it's just some smoke with apple flavor we really shouldn't care
not exactly. As a professional, there are some professional ethos that you have to uphold, whether you are on or off field. It also depends on where you come from and how you view things. I come from a place that recently banned shisha and has always banned marijuana. For example, if you are a school teacher, you are supposed to uphold certain professional ethos, like being warm, caring, honest and fighting for disadvantaged school children etc, even when you are not in school. As we are commoners, no paparazzi is gonna snap our photo and let our boss know about what you do outside.

Footballers today are very different from the 70s and 80s. Footballers today are role models, marketing tools and advocates for local charity or schools. Especially when he is a United player and a Netherlands international, and people see him as a famous figure with influence.

I don't see United's PR officer coming out to diffuse the situation. I guess we can see how much he means to the club - nothing.

MD7

not exactly. As a professional, there are some professional ethos that you have to uphold, whether you are on or off field. It also depends on where you come from and how you view things. I come from a place that recently banned shisha and has always banned marijuana. For example, if you are a school teacher, you are supposed to uphold certain professional ethos, like being warm, caring, honest and fighting for disadvantaged school children etc, even when you are not in school. As we are commoners, no paparazzi is gonna snap our photo and let our boss know about what you do outside.

Footballers today are very different from the 70s and 80s. Footballers today are role models, marketing tools and advocates for local charity or schools. Especially when he is a United player and a Netherlands international, and people see him as a famous figure with influence.

I don't see United's PR officer coming out to diffuse the situation. I guess we can see how much he means to the club - nothing.
So because they are professionals, and role models they should uphold a certain stature that is impossible to maintain? Instead of being humans, they should be robots.

It's not like he was doing cocaine on the ass of a prostitute. He was smoking flavored tobacco while watching football, oh boy how deep has he fallen...

FahadiHossein

So because they are professionals, and role models they should uphold a certain stature that is impossible to maintain? Instead of being humans, they should be robots.

It's not like he was doing cocaine on the ass of a prostitute. He was smoking flavored tobacco while watching football, oh boy how deep has he fallen...
Like I said, I don't know how shisha is being viewed from your culture. The Sun did make a din, calling it "equivalent to 200 cigarettes" and quoted from the British Heart Foundation. Yes, I know it is The Sun and they are just sensationalizing as usual.

This is why Ya ya Toure rejected the champagne on public TV but was later caught drunk driving after a private event. He had to uphold his role as a professional footballer and a devout Muslim in front of public TV.

FahadiHossein

It may well be, but not because he smoked shisha. Rooney smoked, as did Berbatov.
I did a Google search and I can't find anything related to Rooney and Berbatov smoking shisha. If they are doing privately, it is not up for me to judge.

I will explain from my perspective. I don't think this is good because I think that shisha may not be good to an athlete's health and performance. This is even more so when he is not playing well and doesn't seem to be bothered to fight for his place and instead, is spending time with girls and shisha in Rotterdam. If he wants to smoke shisha, he could have asked his friends to buy it for him and smoke at home because he needs to preserve his and his club's image. This also shows how much he cares about United.

Litch

Im not sure about people's moral compass at times...shisha?

I'm also not sure why there's is so much negativity towards these young lads when things don't turn out the way they, their family or the club wanted it. Ive read the same about Zaha too when he was here. It seems people are happy enough to say he's not good enough but then need to substantiate it with often non-football related stuff.

In football terms like Zaha, there's a talent there in my opinion. The simple explanation for not showing it at present is he's young, and with that comes lots of inconsistencies and at times poor judgements. Absolutely no different than Ronaldo, Becks, Giggs and Sharp before him. Not suggesting he has the same levels but look at the teams they were introduced into, and the pros that were there to inform their careers. It's 'easier' to come into a winning team managed by the best manager ever than arguably one of the worst Utd teams for decades.

There have been experienced internationals bought and young lads like Welbeck who have been here since as being 9 years old who still couldn't break through.

It's interesting as last season Rashford and Martial were firing but where are they now, and if we are honest no where near last season and finding hard to have to come off the bench or not play at all for a few games. Welcome to the world of Memphis. Not great for your confidence either. Where are they regarding their respective international teams either?

I'm convinced that under these current circumstances, we may have not seen Rashford as yet which may have hurt his development. I'm not sure Martial is a Jose type player either but those are the fine magins and a huge slice of luck at times. Wrong club at the wrong time for Memphis but that said, I wouldn't want us signing just 27 year old proven pros...

There's a certain young lad called Wilson that was suppose to be why they were OK with letting Welbeck go, then there's a Utd lad in Spain and another in Sunderland. Are these any different to Memphis aside from the price tag?

We may never know if he's been good enough but I think that will be more about his ability than attitude. Not sure any of the lads above were young modelled pros, just didn't have social media giving us a daily update of what they are not doing. Can you imagine Becks and Sharps young careers in today's goal fish bowl?

The issues about Zaha were well documented on here but they don't appear to have been born out when returning back to Palace, in fact he's playing really well in a poor team. The irony is we couldn't buy him back for what we paid or sold him for.

Memphis may be on his way out but it wont take long before the vultures are circling around Martial and Rashford....or any other young player et al

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Its easier to get into bad social habits when you're on the fringes of the team.

He just needs a new start. It was quite obvious early last season that he wasn't the level we expect. Can do very well for a mid-table club, but we should cut our ties and improve our wage bill while we still can for a good fee.

AndyJ1985

Becoming a great player relies as much on a person's mentality as it does their talents with a football. That's why I never understand those who constantly defend Depay and his attitude. It doesn't matter how much potential you think he has, he'll never be a great player because he hasn't got the mentality for it. That's been clear since the day he joined. To ignore or down play it is to completely ignore one of the fundamental aspects of what makes a world class player.

I can promise you one thing, if a young Rooney or Keane or Ronaldo or Beckham were dropped from the team, they wouldn't let their head drop and sulk about it. They'd work their bollocks off to become even better and prove everyone wrong. But Depay will never get anywhere near the level of such great players.

Litch

Becoming a great player relies as much on a person's mentality as it does their talents with a football. That's why I never understand those who constantly defend Depay and his attitude. It doesn't matter how much potential you think he has, he'll never be a great player because he hasn't got the mentality for it. That's been clear since the day he joined. To ignore or down play it is to completely ignore one of the fundamental aspects of what makes a world class player.

I can promise you one thing, if a young Rooney or Keane or Ronaldo or Beckham were dropped from the team, they wouldn't let their head drop and sulk about it. They'd work their bollocks off to become even better and prove everyone wrong. But Depay will never get anywhere near the level of such great players.
Sorry disagree as some of those players were sold as experienced pros for poor attitude. Their egos became unmanageable and Rooney should consider himself lucky SAF retired when he did cause he was on borrowed time too. Sulk, CR was one of the biggest at the club and Keane was a bully. Becks was more interested in a celebrity lifestyle and CR was going the same way. Wasn't Becks seen shopping in London when he was suppose to be injured?

What informs your view that he's not got the right mentality? Why was it clear from the day he joined, I thought he started quite well? World class players....Mardona, Best...modelled pros? The goofy racist at Bara?

Last edited:

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I did a Google search and I can't find anything related to Rooney and Berbatov smoking shisha. If they are doing privately, it is not up for me to judge.

I will explain from my perspective. I don't think this is good because I think that shisha may not be good to an athlete's health and performance. This is even more so when he is not playing well and doesn't seem to be bothered to fight for his place and instead, is spending time with girls and shisha in Rotterdam. If he wants to smoke shisha, he could have asked his friends to buy it for him and smoke at home because he needs to preserve his and his club's image. This also shows how much he cares about United.
They smoked cigarettes.

Litch

Its easier to get into bad social habits when you're on the fringes of the team.

He just needs a new start. It was quite obvious early last season that he wasn't the level we expect. Can do very well for a mid-table club, but we should cut our ties and improve our wage bill while we still can for a good fee.
Social habits Like drink and driving, getting drunk whilst on international duty or shopping in London when you're suppose to be injured?

If the barometer is going to be based on last season then I would suggest there's a good 6-7 players that need to go...let's start with Rojo and Jones hmmmm....

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Social habits Like drink and driving, getting drunk whilst on international duty or shopping in London when you're suppose to be injured?

If the barometer is going to be based on last season then I would suggest there's a good 6-7 players that need to go...let's start with Rojo and Jones hmmmm....
None of his social habits raise a big eyebrow tbh. Can you share the link to suggest he was drink driving? Firminho and Yaya got caught recently and I'm sure its much more common among footballers that get away with it.

Not sure what shopping in London has to do with anything. Its not like being injured and shopping are mutually exclusive.

He's not the level we want, which is why I'm saying he should go. I don't care much about Shisha/smoking - its quite common amongst footballers. As is being seen drinking.

ZupZup

Don't think it's a huge deal. He was in our local Shisha bar too a few weeks ago in Altrincham... which is coincidentally owned by Danny Welbeck's brother.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I saw Zaha in a local shisha place in Croydon at least 5-6 times. This was back when he played for Palace and was joining us after the season.

He would go in and buy those e-cigs in bulk too :lol: (though I don't think they are actually harmful).

Litch

None of his social habits raise a big eyebrow tbh. Can you share the link to suggest he was drink driving? Firminho and Yaya got caught recently and I'm sure its much more common among footballers that get away with it.

Not sure what shopping in London has to do with anything. Its not like being injured and shopping are mutually exclusive.

He's not the level we want, which is why I'm saying he should go. I don't care much about Shisha/smoking - its quite common amongst footballers. As is being seen drinking.
I'm saying social habits are absolutely not just about footballers on who are on the edge of the squad. The shopping in London was my poor attempt at irony as this too is a social habit which never went done to well with SAF and Becks especially as he wasn't transparent about it.

I'm not sure about his level, as I'm not about most young players in general. I can think of more young players that didn't forfil their potential than did. No crystal ball and I'll challenge anyone who thought we would 4 years later sign Pogba for 95m more than we sold him for?

Furthermore, we bought a lad who was the best player in Germany that came into a winning side, and couldn't do it. We signed the best player at Real who couldn't do it. We've signed again the voted best player in Germany who took half the season before coming through. Another Argentinian international who played in WC final only now after 2 seasons seeing some potential. A lad from the north held up by SAF as potentially one of the best players to put on a Utd shirt, only now seeing his potential after a run of games. That's just to name but a few...

Memphis may or may not be good enough but I've not seen him consistently playing enough to know. Jose has already said that the pressures to win games means even Martial is going to struggle as there are players that are playing better in front of him. Rashford is in the same camp since Ibra's arrived.

If we are not going to be patient and give young players more than one season, then was might as well do a Chelsea and buy proven 27/28 year old internationals.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.