Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Akshay

Staff
Memphis was much brighter today, which is great to see. That said, by the time he came on the match was effectively over. The times he did look good last year tended to be against lesser opposition or in low pressure situations. He can only play the minutes that were given to him, of course, and he played them well, but I don't think too much can be read into his performance. Hopefully it was a small step in the right direction. He's clearly talented, and he's going to get an opportunity this year. Let's hope he can become the player so many expected based upon his form in and for Holland.
Yep. Given the contrast in his performances last season against quality teams versus lesser opposition, we shouldn't read too much into yesterday's performance. But at least having a positive attitude gives him a chance at improving this year.

OohAahMartial

Wasn't on for very long but about as good a cameo as you could want. I've noticed many times that he often tries stuff which gets fecked up by someone else, perhaps slightly risky but well worth the risk. He also as ever gets no protection from the referee ever. But his creativity and link up is excellent. I hope this is his year.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
So disappointed in him, and I still miss nl max. He's probably my favourite United player and he was my favourite Eredivisie player even though Im an Ajax fan, I really wonder if she shows ability on the training pitch and it doesnt come off in games, or if the level is just to high for him atm.

Litch

Great 15mins. Dont care about the opposition because if he only destroys 'lessers' teams, that would represent 80% of the league.....

ti vu

Great 15mins. Dont care about the opposition because if he only destroys 'lessers' teams, that would represent 80% of the league.....
He seem allergic to English football though. Has been kinda bright vs European minnows... Perhaps hide him in the PL and give him more chance in Europa League to show case his ability then shift him out next summer for reasonable fee. :smirk:

(punt intended)

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
Think seeing Martial come in and be so successful immediately got to him mentally. Last season he was supposed to be one of our best performers after we lost the likes of RVP, AdM, and (ahem) Falcao. This year, he's going to be viewed as a bench option until he proves otherwise. Hopefully the lowered expectations work to his advantage.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Well that didn't happen last season did it?
Last season, he did beat/bully lesser teams (eg Brugge, Midgetland, Shrewsbury), but the moment he came upon a EPL team (even a team struggling for relegation), he was shown up
He has basically started this season exactly how he was last season. And I do not believe he'll do anything special in the EPL.
In the League Cup and FA Cup against lesser sides, he would definitely be worth playing.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
It feels like he has some bizarre mental block going on with the EPL. To me it looks as much a mental issue as anything right now.

Jaybomb

It's actually painful watching this guy wear the number 7. He's rubbish.

Loan him out to Southampton or somewhere.

Unam333

It's actually painful watching this guy wear the number 7. He's rubbish.

Sell him to Southampton or somewhere.
Fixed it for you.

If he stays, hopefully he won't see much action this season. He's really not good enough for United.

And the no. 7 shirt has devalued alot the last couple of years. Di Maria, Valencia, Owen, now Depay. I'm past caring really.

Last edited:

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
That's a bit rich from Rooney to be honest, if we were to make a highlight reel of some of the things he attempted, such as a straight forward pass, we would have quite a bit to laugh about as well.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
That's a bit rich from Rooney to be honest, if we were to make a highlight reel of some of the things he attempted, such as a straight forward pass, we would have quite a bit to laugh about as well.
Well, it's not really. Considering he has rattled in overhead kicks at both sides of the ground - he is entitled to giggle when somebody attempts one that badly.

Zoo

I think he laughed because his son got excited. Also not sure what the commentator was on about, Memphis realised the cross was overhit and simply pulled out from the attempt.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Well, it's not really. Considering he has rattled in overhead kicks at both sides of the ground - he is entitled to giggle when somebody attempts one that badly.
Yeah, no shit, but in the last few years Wayne has had some incredible head-scratchers far worse than that. It simply looks bad because Depay realized it was an ambitious attempt due to a poor cross.

tob

I have no idea what to make of this man.

He's capable of making runs behind the defensive line, thats good. But when he's on the ball, he's just so... worthless.
Now, I've seen him be good, mainly when he's up against lower teams, but how do you go from that to just be so crap. I mean, when he's up against lower team's defence, he uses his speed. Then when he's up against a Premier League team, he slows down and tries to beat a defender by standing still. How have he worked that out? Wouldn't he try to use his speed even more when he's up against a better defender? The player he's up against in a PL-team isn't automatically faster. He's probably smarter, but not by any means does he have to be faster.

He should really try to use his speed more. He should also work on his turns and changing of tempos.

Look at Rashford. He's not the quickest (still quick though), but he uses his speed and change of tempos to get past his defender. Smart kid.

CamuNoir

People were saying he got better and will show his potential when he came on around 80th minute against the mighty Galatasaray and passed one defender.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Dr Baltar

I don't like to write off players this early but in his current situation (inconsistent backup player that isn't even guaranteed a place on the bench) I just struggle to see this going any other way than he'll be gone by next season.
There's definitely a good player in there but he seems to have gone backwards since he came here. Similar beginning to his reds career to that of Nani except that Nani showed enough to persist with despite the frustration.
Memphis hasn't.

Jaybomb

Fixed it for you.

If he stays, hopefully he won't see much action this season. He's really not good enough for United.

And the no. 7 shirt has devalued alot the last couple of years. Di Maria, Valencia, Owen, now Depay. I'm past caring really.
Di Maria is a world class player. Owen is a Legend and Valencia (kinda) earned it the previous season.

Memphis is just crap. Scored all those goals in the Dutch league and is stealing a living at United. More interested in buying car seats and leather jackets with his brand logo on it rather than actually playing well.

Providing some miraculous turnaround, he's got to be our worst number 7 in the PL era. Ever since Martial joined us and basically stole his spot on the LM, he's been dire.

MD7

I wasn't able to see the match, but after watching this video with all his ball touches, I don't really see the issue. Only 1 time did he actually lose the ball, did a proper cross, and the rest of the match he was just average...

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I wasn't able to see the match, but after watching this video with all his ball touches, I don't really see the issue. Only 1 time did he actually lose the ball, did a proper cross, and the rest of the match he was just average...

In a testimonial match in preseason. Some people will just take any opportunity to slate a player they've decided they don't like. Criticise him in proper matches by all means but come on people.

@CamuNoir it's sad you take so much joy in this.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I said after last season, this is his last season at United if he does not improve drastically

In a testimonial match in preseason. Some people will just take any opportunity to slate a player they've decided they don't like. Criticise him in proper matches by all means but come on people.

@CamuNoir it's sad you take so much joy in this.
Bizarre from @CamuNoir, not really sure what Memphis did wrong last night except for midjudging the height of a cross in the final seconds of the game. Completely baffling to see a United fan take so much joy in mocking one of his own players.

Feels a bit like the treatment Nani received from our brilliant fans all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.