Not open for further replies.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

Memphis Depay
Moordrecht

Feb 13, 1994 (22)
1.76 m

Memphis Depay said:
I had more expectations of myself and so did the fans as well and that’s normal.

It’s been new for me this season, to play in the Premier League, so the experience I got this year is important. Also the things that I have to do sometimes as I made a mistake or I haven’t played good for a game and you get on the bench. It’s new for me as well.

Last season, I was playing and scoring every game but this season it’s 50-50. I have played 50 per cent of the games in the season. I have some games on the bench for 90 minutes as well. That’s new and that’s hard of course, but you need to keep going and keep believing in yourself.

You’re the first person who was believing in yourself, no matter what, so you have to keep your chest out and sometimes it’s really hard. But I’m still young, 22. I think that’s for everybody – never give up if you believe in something that you can achieve. I think you will make it if you put everything into it. That’s my motto – dream, believe, achieve. I don’t want to give up on anything.

Mancunia_Religion

Just pre-season but again just not enough on the ball in the final 3rd. It's sad to say that but I don't see a player worthy of that No.7 shirt.

Walters_19_MuFc

Only first game back, but he's going to have to step it up big time if he wants to be in Mourinho's plans for the upcoming season.

MD7

Better performance than the average of last year. Good link up with Shaw again, some good crosses, and passes in the box. Hope to see more of Memphis in the following matches

He really needs to be better than that Wigan display. Push or no push he was always missing that chance.

kenny19

Better performance than the average of last year. Good link up with Shaw again, some good crosses, and passes in the box. Hope to see more of Memphis in the following matches
You've got to be joking? His performance today was the same as lasts season. Not better in the slightest. The guy is just not a good player. Only a preseason game but I really don't expect anything better in performance this season. It will be a shame if memphis keeps out better players in young and Januzaj.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
You've got to be joking? His performance today was the same as lasts season. Not better in the slightest. The guy is just not a good player. Only a preseason game but I really don't expect anything better in performance this season. It will be a shame if memphis keeps out better players in young and Januzaj.
Now Kenny. Don't speak to Memphis like that.:)

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He is a completely individual player, not a very good one at that it seems, very rarely does he get involved in the link-up with the other attacking players.

hungrywing

I can see a good coach getting him to accept that cutting inside and shooting should become his secondary weapon now that he's at a bigger club.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The most depressing thing about him is that I have zero confidence or expectation, when he's 1 on 1 win a defender.
Normally when a winger is in that kind of position, you get a little excited that something can happen.
With him, I feel nothing.

superdry

touched by a genius
I'm beginning to accept that he's not good enough to be a United player.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
The most depressing thing about him is that I have zero confidence or expectation, when he's 1 on 1 win a defender.
Normally when a winger is in that kind of position, you get a little excited that something can happen.
With him, I feel nothing.
The problem is that he's not actually a winger. He's a pretty limited wide forward - like a right-footed Hulk. His game is basically limited to cutting in and shooting (not very well.) He's only really of any use if he's allowed to gather momentum before he receives the ball. From standstill he's cack.

He doesn't look particularly good at anything, lacks agility and cuteness to his play. I guess that potentially he could be somewhat useful if Mourinho wanted to park the bus against a tough opposition.
But even then, his defensive work is poor.

George Beast

Someone please tell Memphis he needs to stop attempting to beat his man at every opportunity? He's playing as if he's still at PSV trying to impress and win a big money move to a big club when he's already here, and all he needs to do is simply make the right pass and he'll be fine. It's really that simple but no, he'd rather try to beat half the opposition then score a 20 yard screamer every time he gets the ball. Frustrating.

Reactions: brewlio

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Fear for him, I don't think he's as limited as some think but he needs something to spark his United career or he's not going to make it here.

Eddy_JukeZ

He has no acceleration to get past players.

It's like he's stuck in mud. I just don't think he's that talented that he'll make it.

Devil may care

Today when you looked at Micki, Mata, Pereira and even Lingard, by comparison Memphis just looks so cumbersome when receiving the ball and trying control and run with it in one motion.

Sylar

My favourite moment was when he blazed it over the bar and people in the matchday thread were having a go at him. Only to realise it wasnt him and then kinda quietened down about Mkhitaryan missing the chance lol.

I think hes gonna have an issue cos hes not a behind the striker in a three type of player. I think that suits Miki and Lingard more so. And he isnt as good as Martial to make up for that. Having Shaw back might help long term cos Shaw will defo create space for him once he starts bombing down the left and defenders have to track that.

ReDDHDevilS

Couldn't watch the game but the comments on here don't sound promising! He needs to up his game big time and it needs to happen sharpish.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Not much difference from last season. If he was a youth product instead of costing us big money, no one would be impressed by him. Pereira and Adnan are more talented players.

CamuNoir

Not much difference from last season. If he was a youth product instead of costing us big money, no one would be impressed by him. Pereira and Adnan are more talented players.
I seriously doubt about januzaj but I do agree with you. Nothing have changed.
If was quite funny when depay uploaded the video of him training and everyone was so excited.
Reality is every other players uploaded the video too.

Perrick Dubois

Looked like he was trying to hard, also looked a bit leggy. I think once he gets to understand and be comfortable that he can gamble on the shoulder of the fullback a lot more he will start to open up with a bit more confidence. Micky running across the edge of midfield for that diagonal ball (or Rooney/Mata) will be on a lot this season. He has to improve and be more confident to play outside of his own head, get on the end of those and make things happen. If he does, his confidence will grow.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He is painfully average. He's not a great dribbler, he's average in passing the ball and in scoring them. I cant see how Mou or anyone really can turn him into a quality player. He simply lack the skills

POF

Disappointing performance from him. Still early days in pre season but he has the ability. He just looks really low on confidence.

If Mourinho can get him going he could be a really good option this season.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Disappointing performance from him. Still early days in pre season but he has the ability. He just looks really low on confidence.

Mourinho isn't a miracle worker.

They are far better options ahead of him that will be utilised. Sitting in the bench as a result wont do much for his confidence.

togg

He is painfully average. He's not a great dribbler, he's average in passing the ball and in scoring them. I cant see how Mou or anyone really can turn him into a quality player. He simply lack the skills
I would imagine Mou put him in this more competitive game to see just that. We have far to many more talented youngsters waiting in the background who have more ability than to let Memphis fill a space in the team hoping that something suddenly clicks....

sammyvine

That's what happens when you overrate players. After a good seasons in a very poor league in terms of quality people thought he was the next best thing.
I always questioned him even at PSV because he never went past a man. He is also really slow.
Newcastle is his level.

Varun

Staff
Needs to get leaner and work on his agility. His dribbling needs a lot of work too.

ti vu

Look past his usual terrible side, Memphis did put in some good corner and his movement off ball is good, especially if you compared to another players. He is pretty much done as winger. More like a forward who feed on chance by the look of it.

Last edited:

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
That's what happens when you overrate players. After a good seasons in a very poor league in terms of quality people thought he was the next best thing.
I always questioned him even at PSV because he never went past a man. He is also really slow.
Newcastle is his level.
What a brilliant scouting report that. Have you tried to go professional?

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
His main weapon is cutting inside and shooting. The rest is painfully mediocre. It's not enough to forge a career at United. We should cut our losses.

Borys

Statistics Wizard

Confidence is on the very end of his issues list.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Depay just needs to focus on the basics and to be fair I think he tried. He needs an identity. I think it would be wise for him, to just keep it simple. So when theirs a chance to cross - cross. He has the quality to put good crosses in and if he's doing that, then he's helping the team. Maybe in his head, he wants to take players on and he's not really shown consistantly he can do that. So he needs to go back to basics, keep it simple and then build on that. Right now, it's very difficult to describe his function in the team. He should have scored from that chance but he was in the right position and if you are going to miss - miss in pre season.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yesterday and in general since 2013 Januzaj has been worse. I can't blame people for having no faith in Memphis but Januzaj is in the same boat.

JPRouve

Scout
Look past his usual terrible side, Memphis did put in some good corner and his movement off ball is good, especially if you compared to ao me other players. He is pretty much done as winger. More like a forward who feed on chance by the look of it.
He was never a winger.

ti vu

He was never a winger.
Don't disagree. Just want to make sure you're here with me as winger in 4-3-3 like D.Duff, Nani, Overmars... not a Beckham, Valencia, Giggs,... Kind of winger...

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I would imagine Mou put him in this more competitive game to see just that. We have far to many more talented youngsters waiting in the background who have more ability than to let Memphis fill a space in the team hoping that something suddenly clicks....
He's being paid as a 25m signing when he simply lacks the talent to be of that level (hopefully I am wrong on that). If he fails to deliver the goods then I can see him leave with Mou adding some quality cover/competition for Martial or relying on youths/players he already have. Young and Januzaj are as good as Depay

JPRouve

Scout
Don't disagree. Just want to make sure you're here with me as winger in 4-3-3 like D.Duff, Nani, Overmars... not a Beckham, Valencia, Giggs,... Kind of winger...
He isn't even like that, he is like Cavani when played on the left, without the incredible workrate, stamina and decent finishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.