Memphis Depay | Atletico player

Stacks

Greizmann's signing is exactly what this reminds me of but with the player of much lesser quality.
Part and parcel for Barcelona nowadays. They don't sign players of the right fit. The signed Coutinho (to replace Iniesta of all people), Griezmann (Suarez), Dembele (Neymar) for mad money. I fear for them when Messi leaves because their DOF or whoever decides the transfer been having shockers.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Aren't they looking to offload Griezman, or is that just an unsubstantiated rumor I read? In any case, Koeman worked with Depay at the Dutch national team and pushed him to great heights there, so he will know how to best use him and will have a plan (if only for a back-up role).

Oh I hope this is true. Barcelona will be irrelevant soon if they keep these transfers up.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Our signings' value following Transfersmark:

Memphis Depay: 45M€

Kun Agüero: 25M€

Eric García: 20M€

Emerson Royal: 25M€

Total: 115M€

Barca paid 9M€ for all four players.

lovely bit of business

Jacob

lovely bit of business
Come back when they've played.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Koeman will use either Agüero-Messi-Depay or Griezmann-Depay-Messi; Agüero will be usually benched as a super sub, and Fati will be used sparingly after his hideous long term injury.

I think Laporta really intends to sell Dembélé for 50-70 million.

kingwaynerooney

Supports
United
Memphis Depay for free is a great signing no matter what way you look at it. Worst case scenario he gets sold for decent money in an year.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Memphis Depay for free is a great signing no matter what way you look at it. Worst case scenario he gets sold for decent money in an year.
exactly, criticizing these signings especially considering how cheap they are is moronic

GMoore23

lovely bit of business
How far Barca have fallen :lol:

bsCallout

Call me crazy but I'd have taken him at United again. I hope he succeeds at Barca, he seemed to actually care about United.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Scary signings these for Barca. Once they were forced to go out and sign David Villa when they already had Xavi, Iniesta, Messi & Co.
Whereas nowadays they have a good mix of mediocre and past it players.

Tallis

He'll be sold next summer for €20-30m, only bought as a means to show big profit on FFP when they do sell him.
Depends on the wages they are paying him. If it’s above €200k / week, he may be a Barca player for a long time.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
It's a no-brainer of a move. Sign on fee, solid wages, one of the biggest clubs in the world.
very confused by the criticism of Barca’s business this summer. It’s a relief they aren’t splashing 150M signings on players who don’t fit at all

MattofManchester

It's a no-brainer of a move. Sign on fee, solid wages, one of the biggest clubs in the world.
Fair, but that depends what his priorities are.
Is it really meaningful if he just wastes away on the bench during his prime?

I've seen that kinda thing happen a lot at Barca over the years, and they are so stacked with overpaid players that it's likely to continue.

HerrLeinad

Supports
Bayern München
Memphis is going to be a squad player on the bench pretty often. He's definitely not in their best 11. Ansu Fati should be ahead of him too.
I doubt that's going to be the case as long as Koeman is the coach. It is obvious he was the reason that Depay chose Barca and I have zero doubt that Koeman will put his trust into Depay.
Whether or not that works out is another question but I'm certain he wouldn't have picked Barca otherwise, the short contract length also points to that (he wants to see if Koeman stays and that he doesn't end up on the bench despite any promises made).

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

lovely bit of business
Memphis is not a great player. Aguero is past his peak. Such strange signings.