Memphis Depay | Atletico player

Bwuk

Joses comments basically show all the so called experts on the Caf that's his attitude was never the problem.

I think Memphis will kick on to be a top player. A complete lack of confidence happened under LvG and Jose couldn't afford to try and rebuild his confidence when we are desperate for results. I think the fact we have a buy back clause confirms Jose agrees with me.

NYAS

Could someone check one of the Lyon forums and see if @NL Max is there and leading the hype train? He has probably already started a 'he had a tough upbringing, call him Memphis not Depay' thread. Funny how he just vanished from this place.
Does anyone know where he went or what happened to him? He was pretty decent but when he just disappeared after Memphis started playing like shite it just eroded his credibility for me as a poster.

Rockets Redglare

Good luck to him, he simply wasn't good enough for United and never showed that he ever would be.
I hope he does well though, I imagine the French league will be more suited to him.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Could someone check one of the Lyon forums and see if @NL Max is there and leading the hype train? He has probably already started a 'he had a tough upbringing, call him Memphis not Depay' thread. Funny how he just vanished from this place.
:lol:

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Does anyone know where he went or what happened to him? He was pretty decent but when he just disappeared after Memphis started playing like shite it just eroded his credibility for me as a poster.
He's most likely in France right now.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
After those tweets - I want him back :(

Wonder if the buy back has anything to do with his new found love for his time here!
He plays like crap for half a season. He then gets benched for 12 more months for playing like crap.
And you want him back after a few tweets? :houllier:

I said this several times: he is a Championship level player and I have seen nothing which shows otherwise. Against poor opposition he was fantastic, which shows that there is no issue with confidence or form. The problem is that he just does not possess the skills or ability to play against top defenders. And at his age, it is highly unlikely that he will go on to improve by much, in the next few years.

In saying all of this, I wish him no ill will. He has his whole career ahead of him and I hope he goes on and does well for himself.

tomaldinho1

He plays like crap for half a season. He then gets benched for 12 more months for playing like crap.
And you want him back after a few tweets? :houllier:

I said this several times: he is a Championship level player and I have seen nothing which shows otherwise. Against poor opposition he was fantastic, which shows that there is no issue with confidence or form. The problem is that he just does not possess the skills or ability to play against top defenders. And at his age, it is highly unlikely that he will go on to improve by much, in the next few years.

In saying all of this, I wish him no ill will. He has his whole career ahead of him and I hope he goes on and does well for himself.
Yes, I judge players on their social media activity not footballing performances...

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
French football should suit him a lot more. His level was closer to that of a championship team than United.

Against poor opposition he was fantastic, which shows that there is no issue with confidence or form. The problem is that he just does not possess the skills or ability to play against top defenders. And at his age, it is highly unlikely that he will go on to improve by much, in the next few years.
Spot on mate which is people trying to blame a lack of confidence was bizarre. And the problem was when you say poor talking about poor opposition you aren't even talking about the premier league teams which was his real problem. If he had simply been a flat track bully in the PL that would have been great.

PeteManic

He's clearly not strong or clever enough mentally. This is his level. Good luck to him.

Dobbs

Joses comments basically show all the so called experts on the Caf that's his attitude was never the problem.

I think Memphis will kick on to be a top player. A complete lack of confidence happened under LvG and Jose couldn't afford to try and rebuild his confidence when we are desperate for results. I think the fact we have a buy back clause confirms Jose agrees with me.
He never played Memphis and then sold him after 6 months. At a time when our wings have been a problem all season.

I think that says it all.

Acole9

Outstanding
Good luck to him, it's a shame because I was excited when we signed him and couldn't see him failing. His tweets are top class though.

MAME DIOUF 32

Yep. I was and am very much of the opinion that he'd have loved to have made it here but his limitations got found out both on the pitch and in training.

Good luck to him if he wants to prove the club wrong and return but I suspect the French league is his level.

Dobbs

He's clearly not strong or clever enough mentally. This is his level. Good luck to him.
I don't think it's about strength I think it's more about intelligence, how he views himself.

I'm sure he trains well and doesn't cause problems but Memphis plays football like he's a 28 year old superstar, a game changer, a special talent. So it affects all the decisions he makes. Instead of the energy and hustle young players are supposed to bring he brings that air of when it suits.

I know we're not supposed to mention his private life but I think his off and on pitch actions mirror each other in this respect. He forgets that a 28 year old Ronaldo didn't play like that when he was 21.

He's far from the only one to do this. Sturridge is guilty, Wilshere and to a lesser extent Pogba. There's plenty more.

That said he has talent so maybe the switch to Lyon will remind him that he's a young player with it all to prove. Get back to basics of wingplay.

surf

Sadly not good enough for United and I don't think he will ever be. Classy comments from him and Mourinho and it's good when a divorce is amicable.

Arka_BleedingRed

Good Luck to him at Lyon. I really wanted him to succeed here at United, but unfortunately, It couldn't happen. I know that there is a quality player in there and am completely sure that he will reach the heights he deserves, and prove his talents to the world.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
What's the difference between a buy back clause and a first option clause with a set price?
I understand that a buy-back would mean that you have a set fee for which you can purchase the player back. This fee could rise depending on the time of the transfer back. First refusal means that if Lyon chooses to sell Memphis at some point, we can get him for €35m if we want. If we don’t, other clubs can negotiate.

LouisDanGaal

I understand that a buy-back would mean that you have a set fee for which you can purchase the player back. This fee could rise depending on the time of the transfer back. First refusal means that if Lyon chooses to sell Memphis at some point, we can get him for €35m if we want. If we don’t, other clubs can negotiate.
Yeah exactly. Buy back clauses are illegal in france so this is about as close as we could get to one. Usually with first refusal it just means matching a bid from another team so having a set fee is interesting. If he does become good enough to come back to us 35m euros is a very reasonable price.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Yeah exactly. Buy back clauses are illegal in france so this is about as close as we could get to one. Usually with first refusal it just means matching a bid from another team so having a set fee is interesting. If he does become good enough to come back to us 35m euros is a very reasonable price.
Yeah I think Lyon wanted some protection for their investment. I don't think he'll ever come back, but I hope he does well and gets another chance in a top 4 league.

LouisDanGaal

Yeah I think Lyon wanted some protection for their investment. I don't think he'll ever come back, but I hope he does well and gets another chance in a top 4 league.
I can't think of a single time a first refusal clause has been used, that must be ignorance as they must exist for a reason but I really can't

saivet

Just read through his twitter and it made me sad. All the best too him. Never really rated him to be honest, but hope he does well.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Good luck to him. I think he seemed desperate to make it here, but just wasn't good enough to be a flair player at the highest level.

I think he seems like a decent enough young lad, and French football will suit him I reckon.

I remember this...

Jaybomb

We had #POGBACK, now we're gonna have #DEPAYBACK (The Buy Back) :drool::drool:

MounchesterUtd

I still don't think we'll see him back here, maybe not for at least 3-4 years. Still, fantastic deal for us considering the circumstances. A complete blinder by Woody and Jose.

As for Depay, I really do wish the best for him. Just was a bad fit for both United and the PL, and as some mentioned, he really couldn't have picked a worse time to join the club.

::sonny::

He had a lot of chances under Lvg, in every position

Doesn't work with me the fact he says "I didn't have chances"

Simply he is not good enough and showed a bad attitude on the pitch, too lazy off the ball and lack of concentration

But in the little ligue 1 could do well, like Balotelli etc

AXVnee7

He had a lot of chances under Lvg, in every position

Doesn't work with me the fact he says "I didn't have chances"

Simply he is not good enough and showed a bad attitude on the pitch, too lazy off the ball and lack of concentration

But in the little ligue 1 could do well, like Balotelli etc
I think it's a bit unfair to use what happened under LVG though. Herrera didn't get as much game time as we'd have liked under LVG but under Jose he's become a key player. That's not to say it would have happened for Depay but he didn't really get a proper chance under Jose. It's a different manager with a different system which I think personally suits Depay better than a static, possession based one.

No time for him to sulk though, get out there, work hard and in the right circumstance that buy back clause might just triggered

3KDré

I think he could actually be a decent striker. He always had a good shot on him.