Memphis Depay | Atletico player

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
As always gets said, it's the French league. He was good here too against shit opposition.
Just ignore his form in the CL and internationals then shall we? Yes he flopped here but let’s be honest I blame the club more than anything. We can’t get solid performances out of anybody. The guys clearly improved and he’s much more consistent now.

Just ignore his form in the CL and internationals then shall we? Yes he flopped here but let’s be honest I blame the club more than anything. We can’t get solid performances out of anybody. The guys clearly improved and he’s much more consistent now.
He got some assists against Manchester City, what else? He did nothing against Barcelona, and international teams are about the level of the teams he excels against. Any top club side would make short work of an international team.

AFC NimbleThumb

Better than most of our attacking options & available for a decent buy back fee.

We aren’t getting Sancho so I wouldn’t mind us taking a punt on him.

Stacks

I see nothing to suggest he won't just get beat up in the premier league again. Never have I seen international performances used as reason to bring someone to Man Utd other than in the curious case of Memphis

Adam-Utd

I see nothing to suggest he won't just get beat up in the premier league again. Never have I seen international performances used as reason to bring someone to Man Utd other than in the curious case of Memphis
France is hardly filled with midget weaklings? Most of them are 6’4 French Africans :lol: people really are sleeping on Ligue 1 it’s not as bad these days as it used to be.

A lot of players come from France and don’t look any lower quality.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
France is hardly filled with midget weaklings? Most of them are 6’4 French Africans :lol: people really are sleeping on Ligue 1 it’s not as bad these days as it used to be.

A lot of players come from France and don’t look any lower quality.
And a lot end up in the PL, where they enhance the league

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
2 goals tonight.

However thought he was pretty poor up to when he scored.

Basically if he's to come back to premier league he needs to go to team that counter attacks home and away as that's when he's most effective with space to run into.

In a team that has to break down massed defences sitting deep I don't really see it which was obviously a problem for Man. United generally in the LVG era.

Dolf

2 goals tonight.

However thought he was pretty poor up to when he scored.

Basically if he's to come back to premier league he needs to go to team that counter attacks home and away as that's when he's most effective with space to run into.

In a team that has to break down massed defences sitting deep I don't really see it which was obviously a problem for Man. United generally in the LVG era.
Not too sure about that. The first goal he scored today was also against a wall of NI players. Yet he found the space and showed his brilliant ball control / first touch.

tomaldinho1

Not too sure about that. The first goal he scored today was also against a wall of NI players. Yet he found the space and showed his brilliant ball control / first touch.
Yh first goal was excellent, more of a poacher's finish
Feel like he's best given a bit of a free role as a 9 or a 10 because technically he's great, just a bit of a wildcard decision making wise

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
It was a good finish. I meant in more general play for first 80 minutes, lots of wild shots and running into defenders.

Dolf

It was a good finish. I meant in more general play for first 80 minutes, lots of wild shots and running into defenders.
Yeah that's definitely one of his weaker points. He can get a bit impatient and as a result he will try too hard.

GledTheRed

Not good enough for us according to the majority on here, same goes for that one trick pony Zaha. The reality is if we had have actually given them a chance we might not be as shit as we find ourselves.

edcunited1878

Not good enough for us according to the majority on here, same goes for that one trick pony Zaha. The reality is if we had have actually given them a chance we might not be as shit as we find ourselves.
Possibly you're right, however the longer they stay at their current clubs, the more evident that other clubs just don't fancy them relative to their transfer price.

Lyon is a yo-yo CL caliber team in France, so Memphis is probably at his best level. Lacazette was very good in France, but is half the player in England. Maybe Lacazette could do better in another team?

Zaha is probably better than what he's currently at, but he has a contract until summer 2023 and may not consider a move abroad...so if he's staying in England, he could cost an arm and a leg and there are definitely players who are of better value and similar or better output.

GledTheRed

Possibly you're right, however the longer they stay at their current clubs, the more evident that other clubs just don't fancy them relative to their transfer price.

Lyon is a yo-yo CL caliber team in France, so Memphis is probably at his best level. Lacazette was very good in France, but is half the player in England. Maybe Lacazette could do better in another team?

Zaha is probably better than what he's currently at, but he has a contract until summer 2023 and may not consider a move abroad...so if he's staying in England, he could cost an arm and a leg and there are definitely players who are of better value and similar or better output.
We had them both for a combined 30 million quid or there about and let them got for a pittance whilst we recruited shite.

MetoTTT

I don't think any of Depay or Zaha are United quality. But truth is we'll be better with one of them right now. Says all how bad we are.

edcunited1878

We had them both for a combined 30 million quid or there about and let them got for a pittance whilst we recruited shite.
Zaha came to United when he was 20 years old or so. He turns 27 in exactly one month. What has he done since? Play for Cardiff and Crystal Palace. Nobody has bought Zaha since and if he's such a world beater, where are the clubs lining up for him? His contract at Palace see him until he's 29, turning 30 five months later in the same calendar year. Nani is twice the player Zaha is and probably ever will be. He'll have one "bigger" transfer then he'll have to perform and show how good he is for a few years. It will have taken him more than 6 years since he signed with United to make a jump higher than Palace as an established senior player in a "better" club.

Memphis has improved and plays as a more central attacker now. What team would buy him knowing it'll be a high fee and his best performances have come down the middle? Dare I say Liverpool as cover for Firmino, more of the playmaking #9 rather than out and out #9? Biggest question mark with Memphis has been his commitment and overall football IQ at the highest level where there is real pressure. He completely failed that test during his time at United, but fair to say he was a kid still at that time and wasn't mature enough nor adult enough to handle such things.

Adam-Utd

I don't think any of Depay or Zaha are United quality. But truth is we'll be better with one of them right now. Says all how bad we are.
A front 3 of Zaha, martial and Depay sounds much better than what we currently have.

people don’t like Zaha as he’s a trick merchant but we’ve been crying out for a star dribbler for a long time. The kid never got a proper chance under Moyes.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

No idea if he had been an answer to any of our questions but it is another example for how poorly we have been run the past years.
We mocked a lot of players that looked atrocious or average but improved a lot once leaving our club.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
people don’t like Zaha as he’s a trick merchant but we’ve been crying out for a star dribbler for a long time. The kid never got a proper chance under Moyes.
According to rumours he spent quite a lot of time there.

pascell

When you think we don't have a RW and we have sold Januzaj, di Maria, Nani, Memphis, Zaha and we have Rashford, James and Martial that can play on the wing, even if we'd have kept Zaha, Nani and Januzaj we'd have been much better off now. The amount of money we've wasted is embarrassing really when you think about it.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He's not world class, but at this point he's surely better than United's forwards. Wouldn't swap him out of our national team for anyone in red.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
A front three of Memphis - Martial - Zaha with Rashford, James and Greenwood backing them up would be vastly better than the lot that is out there now. This is the feckwhittery that comes with having 4 different managers and letting each of them run their transfer policy.

A front three of Memphis - Martial - Zaha with Rashford, James and Greenwood backing them up would be vastly better than the lot that is out there now. This is the feckwhittery that comes with having 4 different managers and letting each of them run their transfer policy.
The grass is always greener.

Fact is Depay was more hopeless than any of them against anyone even remotely decent (it was Northern Ireland last night ffs). Scoring in Ligue 1 doesn't change a thing, he's not good enough. He was almost embarrassing in the PL.

Zaha hasn't changed a jot since he left. Still full of pace and trickery with zero end product. Maybe in the SAF era things would have been different but he'd be no less frustrating than Rashford now.

Just shoot me

I love a player like Memphis Depay, because he's probably one of the most skillful forwards out there. He still has so much potential with his speed, physique, powerful shots from outside the box and trickery. At the same time he can be one of the most frustrating players to watch when it comes down to decision making. If he (finally) improves that, I don't see any reason why Barcelona, City or Madrid wouldn't come for him.

Castia

I still think he is the worst player to wear the shirt in recent years (bases on performances for us)

He did well before he came and has done well for Lyon and the national side so no doubt there’s a player in there but for United he was absolutely pathetic. Literally couldn’t even control the ball towards the end, every appearance was a complete disaster.

Monkers

I still think he is the worst player to wear the shirt in recent years (bases on performances for us)

He did well before he came and has done well for Lyon and the national side so no doubt there’s a player in there but for United he was absolutely pathetic. Literally couldn’t even control the ball towards the end, every appearance was a complete disaster.
I really think that was the pressure getting to him.
For the Netherlands, he has in the last 5 games, 6 assists and 6 goals that is no doubt world-class.

UncleBob

Mental.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

Didn't you guys sign Buttner at some point?

The grass is always greener.

Fact is Depay was more hopeless than any of them against anyone even remotely decent (it was Northern Ireland last night ffs). Scoring in Ligue 1 doesn't change a thing, he's not good enough. He was almost embarrassing in the PL.

Zaha hasn't changed a jot since he left. Still full of pace and trickery with zero end product. Maybe in the SAF era things would have been different but he'd be no less frustrating than Rashford now.
He was shite at United, but he's no flat track bully for Holland. He's scored against the French and the Germans and delivered motm perforances against them too. Memphis needs to be loved and he needs to be the main man. Otherwise he will let his head hang and turn to shite. I don't think he's good enough to be the main man at a top club and not good enough mentally to play to his potential in a less prominent role.

United shouldn't go anywhere near em at any rate. He's not someone to turn the ship around.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He left nearly 3 years ago. He's improved, in large part by playing a lot on a team that allowed him freedom to try stuff and be inconsistent

Move on. He wasn't gonna spend 3 years on loan

Adam-Utd

According to rumours he spent quite a lot of time there.
Touché :lol:

I still feel there was something in that. Was way too random to be false. It was very strange how we dumped a young kid with so much promise, especially when we’re usually so patient with others.

UncleBob

Touché :lol:

I still feel there was something in that. Was way too random to be false. It was very strange how we dumped a young kid with so much promise, especially when we’re usually so patient with others.
About just as much as the "He must be Fergies son" jokes in the early days of Darren Fletcher.

Patiences goes both ways, i'd guess that he was the one that wanted out. Still odn't think Depay or Zaha are all that good, neither seems like they would thrive in a team where the spotlight is always on them

Though i'd obviously prefer either one of them ahead of Pereira/Mata these days.