Memphis Depay | Atletico player

Zoo

About to come on for the last 10 minutes or so.

Eire Red United

Really wish we had just let this kid go on loan.
It's a shame he wasn't here 6/7 years ago under Sir Alex, the lad obviously has Ronaldo tendencies about him and I think Ferguson could have moulded him into a great player.

Unfortunately, Jose hasn't got time for inconsistentcy, due to every game being so important now, so lets hope Memphis comes good and we can activate that buy back clause, anyway best of luck to the lad.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
This thread is going to swing back and forth between Memphis being better now he has confidence and Memphis being better now because he is playing shite most of the time.

Can't wait.

dichinero

Doesn't look any different from the kind of cameos he's made for us since falling out.
The difference is that he didn't look shot of confidence. He looked freer which in itself is a positive step for him.

Jib

Lyon now my favourite French team.

Depay Lacazette Fekir :drool::drool:

Brilliant front 3 plus Rafael and Valbuena
Tolisso ?

And since his injury, Fekir is no longer the same player ...

AndyJ1985

The difference is that he didn't look shot of confidence. He looked freer which in itself is a positive step for him.
Don't think confidence was ever an issue. He was always confident enough to try to make things happen. He was just mostly shit at it.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
It's a shame he wasn't here 6/7 years ago under Sir Alex, the lad obviously has Ronaldo tendencies about him and I think Ferguson could have moulded him into a great player.

Unfortunately, Jose hasn't got time for inconsistentcy, due to every game being so important now, so lets hope Memphis comes good and we can activate that buy back clause, anyway best of luck to the lad.
I don't think they'd allow a 15 year old kid to play, mate.

Z_Wolf

He was here when LVG was here, One of the best coaches for young players. Jose didn't do anything wrong. The lad doesn't have it.

MD7

He was here when LVG was here, One of the best coaches for young players. Jose didn't do anything wrong. The lad doesn't have it.
What he's saying is that the environment wasn't right because when LVG arrived there was much more pressure on the team to perform well, and Memphis to shine than he would've had under Sir Alex. When he arrived he immediately needed to be ready, and play like the best, which isn't really realistic for a 20 year old coming from the Eredivisie.

On his cameo yesterday, it was decent. Not really much to say about it, did some nice passing, and put in the work. Should've gotten a freekick in a dangerous position, but the referee didn't see it that way although it was clearly obstruction. Think he'll manage well in Ligue 1, hope he can make more minutes next game. Valbuena was also very good so it will take some work to play him out of his position, although Valbuena can also play somewhere else on the pitch.

JoaquinJoaquin

He done ok in the 10 minutes he had but he still looked a tad slow to me. There was a couple of occasions that Lyon were breaking and to had to wait for him to join the attack. That might be down to lack of match sharpness though I suppose. One positive thing he was doing though was putting in slide tackles which he rarely ever did for us.

Eire Red United

I'm not blaming Jose, I don't know what it is, it must be the lads attitude thats causing problems because he is talented without a doubt.

mu4c_20le

What he's saying is that the environment wasn't right because when LVG arrived there was much more pressure on the team to perform well, and Memphis to shine than he would've had under Sir Alex. When he arrived he immediately needed to be ready, and play like the best, which isn't really realistic for a 20 year old coming from the Eredivisie.
This is ridiculous.. so he needs the perfect environment and conditions, as well as the stars to align in order to perform well? The fact is that I've never seen anything special from him. He looks like a tricky freestyle footballer plucked from the streets, undisciplined and raw, and whenever he got the ball he would try these audacious tricks that comes off once in a blue moon but more often he just loses the ball. He would be lucky to reach Quaresma's heights only if he gets his head down and go back to basics, and master the basics before trying the flashy stuff.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Manchester United, Lyon & Memphis Depay’s “buy-back clause” – why the impossible is still possible

Much has been made of concerning whether or not a buy-back clause has been included in a deal between Lyon and Manchester United for Memphis Depay, with all English reports, including the BBC, stating that such an agreement exists, whereas RMC state that there is no such agreement in place.

This article follows an excellent piece written by Tom Coast for Sport Witness, who makes the case that a buy-back clause is in fact impossible owing to LFP regulations, specifically article 202 of the league body’s administrative literature:

“Club directors cannot sign off on a contract containing a ‘release clause’ (pre-agreeing, in exchange for compensation, the breach of the contract by either of the contracting parties), ‘cancellation clause’ or a unilateral termination clause with a French or foreign professional player, whether it be with the player or the club.

Coast concludes that the only way in which such an agreement could have been reached between Lyon and Manchester United is if there was a “first refusal” clause, which would allow the Red Devils to be notified to match any future offer that OL intend to accept coming from an interested party for Depay. Alternatively, Coast alludes to the possibility of a “gentleman’s agreement” concerning a buy-back clause which he states is not something that would be legally binding.

Whilst Coast’s assertions are well-measured, there has been a move on the part of Ligue 1 clubs to sign separate agreements between themselves and the player or his representatives, not submitted to the LFP, which would allow for a buy-back clause to be agreed between those two parties.

So, in the case of Depay, in the documents signed and seen by the LFP, there cannot be a buy-back clause agreed between Manchester United, Lyon and the player. However, and this is speculation, if there were to be such a buy-back clause in existence as reported by the English outlets, Lyon would likely sign a separate agreement with the player that agrees to there being a buy-back clause in his contract.

Notable examples of activity like this include the recent contract extension agreement between OGC Nice and Alassane Pléa, which is widely accepted to include a separate contract between club and player in which a €50m release clause exists, a type of clause that would be illegal in a contract overseen by the LFP.

In the case of Alassane Pléa, the release clause of €50m is set to become legally binding when his contract extension is signed in the coming days, an obligation on the part of OGC Nice to let the player go in the event that such an offer is made, an agreement with the player and his representatives.

This is an alternative to the two possibilities that Coast set out in his piece, and it is one that is becoming increasingly popular in French football’s highest division.

Peanut Butter

We can't really judge him until he has had a consistent run of games at Lyon.

I personally think he has found his level there but you never know.

I am far more excited about Martial as our left sided winger long term.

Eire Red United

This is ridiculous.. so he needs the perfect environment and conditions, as well as the stars to align in order to perform well? The fact is that I've never seen anything special from him. He looks like a tricky freestyle footballer plucked from the streets, undisciplined and raw, and whenever he got the ball he would try these audacious tricks that comes off once in a blue moon but more often he just loses the ball. He would be lucky to reach Quaresma's heights only if he gets his head down and go back to basics, and master the basics before trying the flashy stuff.
Wasn't Ronaldo exactly like that when he came?

drdoityourself

He starts against St-Etienne in a derby game in 30 mins. It's worth a peek that game, see how he does against our Europa League rivals.

Dr Baltar

He starts against St-Etienne in a derby game in 30 mins. It's worth a peek that game, see how he does against our Europa League rivals.
Cheers, will take a peak. Despite the flashiness he has always come across pretty well. Best of luck to him & it would be great to see him smash things up for Lyon and come back in a couple of years.

drdoityourself

Got taken off around the 60th min, whilst Lyon were losing 2-0. Must have had a poor game. Felt a bit sorry for him.
Yeah I saw the first half. I've always been in his corner but he was very, very poor. Poor crosses from free kicks, a non threatening long shot and he lost the ball when St-Etienne went up and scored the second.

Jaybomb

He has never impressed me. Always looks too slow and heavy to me. I wanted him to be like Ronaldo or even Nani but he was more like Bebe.

Pace Abuser

I've never rated him. I honestly never saw the fuss from the moment he put the United shirt on. He's talentless with the thought-speed of a turtles penis. The only thing that provided some respite for him was a few scraps of mildly decent highlights (against rubbish) being used to extrapolate some kind of meaningful narrative of his potential, despite the basis of it being an insufficient sample size full of red-tinted hyperbole.

Genuinely don't see it and think we robbed Lyon blind.

arthurka

Crap.... Nothing player, never good enough for us.. Feel sorry for Lyon as they got shafted.

stu_1992

Seems unfair people writing him off for Lyon so quick. It's like one game, judge him after a few games at least. He's hardly played this season ffs.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City

See for yourselves. For my money, he was not good. Couldn't control a good pass to set himself up for a relatively easy chance, over hit crosses and under hit shots on freekicks, fecking up a counter attack with a badly weighted pass etc etc.

He might come good for Lyon, but I hope we never buy him back.

flappyjay

I actually feel sorry for him, it's not nice to see an ex United player not doing well. Unless his name is Tevez or Hagreaves of course. Hopefully he will find some kind of form and kick on.

See for yourselves. For my money, he was not good. Couldn't control a good pass to set himself up for a relatively easy chance, over hit crosses and under hit shots on freekicks, fecking up a counter attack with a badly weighted pass etc etc.

He might come good for Lyon, but I hope we never buy him back.
Looks pretty standard for Ligue 1. I'm sure he will settle and do well there, he's just not good enough for our league.