Memphis Depay | Atletico player

VanGaalEra

He's obviously rusty, I mean how much game time has he actually had from around April last year?

Kostur

海尔的老板
Think he'll struggle the same way he struggled here and for the same reasons really. Ligue 1 is quite a physical league with plenty of strong and quick defenders, unless he develops something new to his game, he'll have the same problems as he did for us.

Nickosaur

Think he'll go on to be a good player for them - needs to be given more time, he's going to be understandably rusty.

But in no way do I think we will regret the decision to sell.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
An average performance is getting bumps. I'm trying to imagine what will happen in the event of a good performance. The Caf will erupt
Eh what?

The thread was bumped before he even played, just to let people know he was playing, and every post after that was saying how shit he was.

Gunna guess that you didn't even read the thread and made a really shit presumption about why it was bumped and what the reactions were. And for what?

JeffBoomTetris

Eh what?

The thread was bumped before he even played, just to let people know he was playing, and every post after that was saying how shit he was.

Gunna guess that you didn't even read the thread and made a really shit presumption about why it was bumped and what the reactions were. And for what?
Regardless of a shite or world class performance, Memphis no longer is our player. It is the Di Maria 2.0 thread where said player has already left us. No point in discussing that if we don't want them back.

Pace Abuser

Regardless of a shite or world class performance, Memphis no longer is our player. It is the Di Maria 2.0 thread where said player has already left us. No point in discussing that if we don't want them back.
Why not? :confused: People are interested and curious to see how the career of a player there's previous emotional investment in develops. Whether their opinions and predictions are vindicated or not.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I remember when we signed him and the Liverpool fans were furious that they had missed out on him.

GloryHunter07

If you don't want to discuss Depay then don't come into his thread?

JustJackTheLad

We've got to accept that any player we sell will, at some point, have a good game.

I'm pretty sure even Obertan had a good game or 2 for Newcastle when we sold him.

Wouldn't worry about the odd few games, but when he's up for Ballon Dor or golden boot in his league.. Then i'll start wondering why we sold him!

Last edited:

Robbie Boy

We've got to accept that any player we sell will, at some point, have a good game.

I'm pretty sure even Bebe had a good game or 2 for Newcastle when we sold him.

Wouldn't worry about the odd few games, but when he's up for Ballon Dor or golden boot in his league.. Then i'll start wondering why we sold him!
Obertan?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

I'm pretty sure even Obertan had a good game or 2 for Newcastle when we sold him.

Eh? Nobody is wondering why we sold him. Some people are just interested in seeing how he develops as they still like him even though he no longer plays for us. If people took an interest in Nicky Butt's career after he left was that weird too?

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Just scored his first goal for Lyon (ongoing match vs Nancy in Ligue 1):

Walters_19_MuFc

Happy for him. After having what sounded like a poor game on the weekend, a goal and assist tonight will certainly do him the world of good.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Think he won the penalty too.
Do we have this buyback clause or what's the story?
Supposedly there's no such thing as buyback clauses in Ligue 1/France, but some Twitter journalists claim we have some sort of 'gentleman's agreement' to buy him back for 35m Euros.

Robbie Boy

.Supposedly there's no such thing as buyback clauses in Ligue 1/France, but some Twitter journalists claim we have some sort of 'gentleman's agreement' to buy him back for 35m Euros.
Yeah I've been hearing conflicting reports alright.

C'est Moi Cantona

He does seem to save his best for the lesser teams, not so sure he'll be so reliable against PSG, or Monaco.

Extremely unlikely that any buy back clause/gentleman's agreement will ever be acted on by us, and imo we did well to get rid for the price we did, even if he does flatter to deceive at times.

redNATION

Think he won the penalty too.

Supposedly there's no such thing as buyback clauses in Ligue 1/France, but some Twitter journalists claim we have some sort of 'gentleman's agreement' to buy him back for 35m Euros.
Dealing with lawyers on a regular basis, I'm certain they would draft the clause in such a way as to ensure it's a buy back in substance, but doesnt fall foul of the law. There's no way the club would allow this fact to be reported if it was completely false, given it's a significant transfer and the company's listed on a stock exchange.

NinjaFletch

Just scored his first goal for Lyon (ongoing match vs Nancy in Ligue 1):

Does anyone remember against Aston Villa I think he had an identical chance to that and put it the wrong side of the post?

Hopefully that's a sign it's going to go better for him there.

Utdstar01

Looks like he did okay. Looks to have leaned up a little which he really did need.

NotQuiteManc

He is getting better, but not quite there yet. Probably is a good move to Lyon for him as he looked bereft of any confidence. Even his goal celebration is pretty subdued, but with more confidence he should be back to his PSV level at least. Hopefully he will continue to grow as a footballer, not just as bodybuilder.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If Jose doesn't end up fancying Shaw, can we not sell him to Lyon.

I expect Memphis to turn out pretty well. Maybe it was too big a move too early for him, but he's got a lot of talent.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Played really well generally.
I'm reserving judgement until he plays some higher calibre teams - the right back looks atrocious for Nancy, giving him all sorts of space, which is dangerous.

Hope he can continue getting playing time though.