Memphis Depay | Atletico player

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'd take him back in a heartbeat. He'd really suit the 4-2-3-1 we play right now and fits the fast attacking style Ole wants.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I'm conflicted.
Need someone who sees him regularly for Lyon and Holland to post his pros and cons.

lsd

The Oracle
We have shown no interest in taking him back . The story is Spurs have enquired about him and Lyon stated we have a buy back clause .

Monkers

Spurs is a bigger possibility, but no way Lyon will let by far their best player leave this winter.

Champagne Football

I don't think Ole has any interest. With all this talk of rebuilding the culture at the club. I think Ole wants to avoid players who are trying to be pop/rap stars in their free time.

But both Depay and Moussa Dembele will be free agents in summer 2021 so Lyon will be looking to sell both of them next summer.

Depay is a brilliant player but I think for the wing Ole will have a list that includes Sancho, Zaha and Dwight McNeil. And to replace Pogba I think Maddison will be the only one he wants. Possibly Dani Olmo or Odeegard as a Plan B.

Then I think we'll bring in Moussa Dembele up front to share striking duties with Martial, while developing Greenwood.

Last edited:

stu_1992

He's a good player. A combination of LVG, us on a downturn and the player being perhaps too young and unsettled meant it didn't work out for Memphis here. I'm tempted to say never go back but I think he has all the tools to slot into the quick fluid front three Ole's trying to implement here.
I have to disagree. From what I've seen of him both at United and live in games in France too, he's at his best when running into space, or running at people with the ball at his feet. Honestly I think he's too similar to what we have up front already, a d perhaps not as good as any of them. We already are at our best when on a quick break or counter. Rashford, Martial and James all have pace (all faster than Memphis I would say) and cab dribble with the ball. It's no coincidence that our best results have come in the more open games as we could use that pace effectively.

Anyway my point is, if we're to sign a attacker they either need to offer something different from the others or be genuinely world class. Memphis is neither. He's a good player but I don't see what he offers over the others at this time. Maybe he has a better shot on him than the others, but he's not their person to win us thr games we currently struggle in.

Raw

I'd take him if it weren't for his off-field antics. Maybe in a more successful team with clear leaders we could bring him in, but as it stands now he'll probably want to be the main man and that'll be problematic for the culture at the club.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Hopefully Greenwood is going to be the competition to James and Martial. However, I do think Greenwood needs to become better in his hold up play to do well as the number 9.
How old is greenwood again? His time will come. We need better players for now.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I have to disagree. From what I've seen of him both at United and live in games in France too, he's at his best when running into space, or running at people with the ball at his feet. Honestly I think he's too similar to what we have up front already, a d perhaps not as good as any of them. We already are at our best when on a quick break or counter. Rashford, Martial and James all have pace (all faster than Memphis I would say) and cab dribble with the ball. It's no coincidence that our best results have come in the more open games as we could use that pace effectively.

Anyway my point is, if we're to sign a attacker they either need to offer something different from the others or be genuinely world class. Memphis is neither. He's a good player but I don't see what he offers over the others at this time. Maybe he has a better shot on him than the others, but he's not their person to win us thr games we currently struggle in.
Fair. I think Memphis slots in but probably in a way that is too similar to what we have (he even looks most comfortable drifting in from the left, which every attacker we've signed since Fergie seems to prefer) and as you say in your last sentence he hasn't shown he's the target man to unlock packed, astute defences.

When I've watched him at Lyon and Netherlands in the last three years I see a player who has grown in stature and confidence since he was here who is able to pop up across the front line to both get on the end of good moves from his team and punish mistakes by the opposition. He's in a weaker league which certainly plays a role but his goals video from last year shows him finishing moves either from the left or centrally, which he was either unable or disabled from doing under LVG at United.

I maintain I think he has the tools for the system we're trying to play but in terms of taking us to the next level and offering something markedly different I'd agree he isn't that player.

Thepinhead

How old is greenwood again? His time will come. We need better players for now.
As a backup striker I think he has the perfect age. Do you really think a guy like Zlatan, Memphis, Dembele or whoever we have been linked with want's to be backup striker to Martial.?

I think we need to focus our attention on the midfield.

TsuWave

Don't want. Not good enough for PL. Ligue 1 is his level.
ligue 1 consistently provides the premier league with players that end up being the best or among the best here :lol:

“b-b-but he’s failed here before” good thing development doesn’t always happen in a linear manner.

That’s not to say I think he’s the answer to our shortcomings, but he’s a very good player.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Lyon / Juninho's juts told that we have a clause to sign him first.

Is he worth bringing back?

On Paper 11 goals in 14 games in the French league is very good - He's entering his prime years, but he has the luggage of failing here at United. Does he fits into Ole's centerforward type?
I think so. I don't think he got a chance here as a CF & I personally think martial & Memphis can compete for the same spot.

I wouldn't consider it if we didn't have a buy back option but he looks like a different player in a different position in an area we need more numbers in.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
We paid £25m for him and now want to pay £50m to bring him back. The club is run like a joke. I hate how we do business. There's even talk about bringing Zaha back for £70m. Definition of stupid. Were so savvy in the commercial side of things and it's the reason why we can pay these fees in the first place. Surely you want to get things right with player recruitment. Letting Zaha and Depay go to suit the current managers we had at the time is another stupid move by the club. Find other targets and adopt the same policy like we did with Dan James. Enough spending 100's of million on players and improve on unearthing the next big thing.
At £50m he would bolster our options can play as a false 9 and would have a point to prove.

el3mel

ligue 1 consistently provides the premier league with players that end up being the best or among the best here :lol:

“b-b-but he’s failed here before” good thing development doesn’t always happen in a linear manner.

That’s not to say I think he’s the answer to our shortcomings, but he’s a very good player.
Good player but not suited to PL. He did well here whenever he played against the same kind of defense he's facing in Ligue 1, as in CL qualification matches and Europe League. However each time he faced a PL full back he failed miserably. Not a PL winger and won't be the first winger to flop in England because he's not suited to it.

Dolf

He’s a completely different player now than he was when we bought him.

At 50 mill it’s a good deal but i’d rather see us improve our midfield

Toni Roncoroni

I guess I would like to see him back at United. To be honest I don't like his antics off the pitch like his Rap Song. Those things don't belong to professional football in my opinion.

But as it looks he really looks after himself and his body. I saw around 10 games in the last 12 months where he was playing. I have to admit that he looked really good overall. Most of you are writing about him drifting inside from the left wing. In the national squad he was often playing up top in the center and I think he was great there. Great hold-up-play and great composure with his back to the goal. He also has the eye to play the ball directly to the players on the wing.

So in my point of view it would be great to welcome him back. Rashford, Martial and Memphis could be nice! Top that with a target man (I know Ole, you don't like that type of player) and Greenwood as a backup and we would be fine.

Reactions: 12OunceEpilogue

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
I think we need a left-footed right-winger that is comfortable playing on the right. I would have gone for Dembele of Barca. The guy doesn't know what his strong foot is and I like that.

Bebestation

Good player but not suited to PL. He did well here whenever he played against the same kind of defense he's facing in Ligue 1, as in CL qualification matches and Europe League. However each time he faced a PL full back he failed miserably. Not a PL winger and won't be the first winger to flop in England because he's not suited to it.
What makes you think he is a winger these days?

meamth

Hmm.

Been hating his superstar attitude, but can't deny how much in love he is with United.

For that alone I think he should be signed back and go from there.

If his stock rises, good, if he turns out bad, sell him again.

Shark

@NotShark
I think people are mad wanting to take this guy back, he clearly wasn’t cut out for PL football.

MetoTTT

L'Equipe said yesterday we have an option to buy him back for 35mil €. I'm not a big fan though. We could buy him back, play him or not and sell him on a profit.

el3mel

What makes you think he is a winger these days?
He's not going to play as a striker here though, or you think he will play ahead of Martial and Rashford? If he comes he will play as a winger, regardless of his current position.

manunited1919

We need another striker for times when Martial is injured, which seems to happen frequently. We won’t find a better striker than him for even twice the buyback price.

We can also play him 4-4-2 with Martial and Depay as the front men.

Bebestation

He's not going to play as a striker here though, or you think he will play ahead of Martial and Rashford? If he comes he will play as a winger, regardless of his current position.
He plays as an attacking midfielder, a false nine or a CF these days.

If there is a position he is least likely to play its going to be left wing and that got proved last time due to martial & Rashford.

TsuWave

The notion of “PL winger”, whatever that is, is comical. I look across the table now, and in the past, and there is/has been a variety of successful wide players, that did not fit the same mould.

Not that any of that matters as Depay hasn’t even been a winger for a couple of years now.