Memphis Depay | Atletico player

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Also not having a left fullback really exposed him whilst here. He was constantly against 2 or 3 alone.

Look at Martial and how he struggles. Granted, he's doing better but still.

Nucks

RT History Department
He's very strong on the ball, but he doesn't have the quickness, or at least didn't show that he had the quickness to deal with the athletes playing at right and left back in the Prem. It's no shock that his best games for us always came against European sides where the level of athleticism was a notch below.

He always looked slow off the mark, and so much of his game is based on physicality.

m1y2

he's just Zaha level, let him thrive in sub par french league, if he can do this against Monaco or PSG than okay,

also the first goal was a tap-in, the second he was really lucky to get the ball past the defender after very naive dribble, he wouldnt get that much time and level of defending in the premier league. I wish him well anyway, he will have a decent proffessional footballer career elsewhere, while never reaching the top with United, that happen to better footballers and can still be huge huge success for anyone

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Is he cup tied in the Europa League? Noticed he didn't play for Lyon in the last round

OneUnited24

Is he cup tied in the Europa League? Noticed he didn't play for Lyon in the last round
I'm sure he is.

I remember him coming on for Martial in our game vs Feyenoord. I only remember that because i said to myself "oh great looks like we're happy with a loss then!" :lol:

Cup tied indeed.

I don't believe he's "found his level", just that he's a good player who struggled in his first season, just like Pedro for exmaple. Plus, many many top players have come from the French league.

Great for him to be getting his career back on track.

Rossa

He's very strong on the ball, but he doesn't have the quickness, or at least didn't show that he had the quickness to deal with the athletes playing at right and left back in the Prem. It's no shock that his best games for us always came against European sides where the level of athleticism was a notch below.

He always looked slow off the mark, and so much of his game is based on physicality.
He rinsed Bellerin for pace on the first ten yards though. He looked really slow at times and then he could be quite quick the next. Weird player. Hope he does well, but I was never a huge fan.

Classical Mechanic

Cup tied indeed.

I don't believe he's "found his level", just that he's a good player who struggled in his first season, just like Pedro for exmaple. Plus, many many top players have come from the French league.

Nothing like Pedro as he was already proven at the very highest level.

Glad for Memphis though. Didn't rate him as a player but didn't mind him as a character.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
It's his level at the moment. He'll probably move to a club like Roma or Inter next.

Nothing like Pedro as he was already proven at the very highest level.
Actually @Classical Mechanic, exactly like Pedro (Di Maria another) with regards to the point I was making, and like many other players who have struggled in their first season in a new country/league.

Pedro being proven has nothing to do with the point I made here, Pedro got a second season and is on fire, Memphis didn't so we'll never know. Obviously there was a much much higher probability that Pedro would eventually find his feet because, as you say, he's already proven at the highest level.

Classical Mechanic

Actually @Classical Mechanic, exactly like Pedro (Di Maria another) with regards to the point I was making, and like many other players who have struggled in their first season in a new country/league.

Pedro being proven has nothing to do with the point I made here, Pedro got a second season and is on fire, Memphis didn't so we'll never know. Obviously there was a much much higher probability that Pedro would eventually find his feet because, as you say, he's already proven at the highest level.
Your point is that Memphis flopped due to bad luck, game time or confidence or whatever rather than the level being too high for him. Then drew a parallel with Pedro to prove your point.

It doesn't work though because Pedro had already proven that he belongs at the highest level so using him as a measure for Memphis against the accusation that he found his level in France makes no sense.

Furthermore, Memphis put in some outstanding displays (his only ones) against weak European opposition which either means he has a questionable mentality or that the Premier League was too much for him.

It seemed to me that the pace was too high for him and that he needs more time and space on the ball to be effective than you get in the Premier League.

His lack of explosiveness and stodginess makes me hugely sceptical that he could ever be an effective player for us. Something which the partisan Van Gaal ('the Dutch league is as good as the English and Spanish') and Mourinho seemed to agree with.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I don't understand the animosity with all the "Found his level" posts. By all accounts everyone at the club loved him enough to insert a buy back clause in his contract. He's playing with confidence for the first time since he blundered up at Stoke and he's doing quite well. I'm happy for him.

arthurka

Good for him.. Don´t like him as a player but never good to see player rot on the bench, getting minutes and contributing..

dichinero

I don't understand the animosity with all the "Found his level" posts. By all accounts everyone at the club loved him enough to insert a buy back clause in his contract. He's playing with confidence for the first time since he blundered up at Stoke and he's doing quite well. I'm happy for him.
This

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Glad for him, I hope he keeps this up and kicks on next season.

mav_9me

May have found his level or may have needed games and to regain his confidence. We shall see how he progresses. Personally thought he had the talent. Not sure about how much he wants it though, obviously we don't have that info. Looks like a good move for everyone so far.

NoPace

I compared him to Callejon as a guy who can score 10-20 goals from the wing every year (which is rare) but be a bit underwhelming as a creative type there and despite his massive swings I think that's still the likeliest outcome.

Stacks

Cup tied indeed.

I FIRMLY BELIEVE he has found his level. I have seen next to nothing to suggest he can be a good player at a higher level. His branding over sold his talent. There are far more adept wing forwards out there. Jose didn't give him 30 minutes game time because he smells bad. He felt Memphis lacked the talent to make a difference. Good kid though with the right attitude.

Stacks

where is the animosity? people stating what they see? he has found a level that he can be effective. It is lower than what is needed in the EPL. just accept it.

Rawls

You'll never find, that microfilm of mine
I think Memphis found himself in an unenviable position last year; it was always going to be exceedingly tough for him to be confident seeing as he spent basically the second half of the season on the bench. Moreover, our play was so tumescent at times last season that he never really had the opportunity to really thrive. That being said, Martial is the better player of the two and should definitely be a key player for us through the next few season as we hopefully re-assert ourselves at the top echelon of the European game. Unfortunately for us with regards to Memphis, even if he were to perform consistently at Lyon, it wouldn't really make sense to bring him back seeing as he would most likely be playing second-fiddle to Martial. As a United fan, I hope Memphis does well at Lyon but I cannot envisage a scenario where he returns to OT as a top-class player (Barring Martial leaves).

Jetrooooo

I've been following him since his days at PSV and i remain that his decision making is just too bad. Look @ that second goal he scored. There are literally 5 people running into the 6-yard box. He shouldve just whipped it in front of the box and someone is guarenteed to make it. But he goes for a cutback, gets extremely lucky and has a good finish eventually. He def has talent, but i dont think he will ever make it at the level that Man Utd aspires to be again.

I also was very suprised that V Gaal bought him, since at PSV and with Netherlands during the World Cup they both used a counter attacking style where he is very suitable for. At Manchester V Gaal wanted to play possesion based and that is imo his biggest weakness. He needs space to run behind the defenders. Thats where he is the most dangerous. Anyway i hope the best for him, but can't see Mourinho buying him back is he stays here for a long time.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I'm not convinced by him at Lyon yet but we shall see. At least there's room for him since Ghezzal and Cornet stagnated from last year.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

TheSweeper

Funniest thing is people wanted Rafael back without the lad doing anything special for Lyon ( as far as I know).

I'm glad Memphis is off to a strong start. The gates are always open to ones that deserve it; if they deserve it.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Crap article. He was a clown because he dressed eccentrically, apparently. Incredible that in this day and age people will still criticise and make assertions based on someone's appearance.

He was shot of confidence last season and needed to move on. Hopefully we will see more of him now he's got a fresh start. Good luck to the lad.
He was talking about Aubameyang, who has proved how good he is, so he can do what he likes. Same as Pogba's dabing nonsense, it's stupid and childish, but as long as he performs on the pitch, no one really cares.

SATA

Where's NL Max anyway? Pretty sure he is related to Memphis or somewhat with the way he talked the player up before coming here