Memphis Depay | Atletico player

Chief123

If the top scorer in Ligue 1 isn't good enough as a rotation player for us, then who is? Messi??
Well even when Jamie Vardy is the top scorer in the premier league, I still wouldn’t have him. Premier league is better than Ligue 1.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
For all his shit games for us I still love to remember his game against Brugge. One of the best individual displays I have seen from one of our players in the last years.
That game is Depay in a nutshell. He's a flattrack bully, and a glorious one at that. Capable of absolutely dazzling performances against minnows. He scored a hattrick against a tiny club last week again(I forget the name, I assume it's a brand of mineral water). But he cant seem to find consistency against good opposition.

On his rapping, while still rubbish, I think he's improving. I wish guys more players did this kind of stuff. Imagine Jamie Vardy releasing a pop album or Zlatan singing opera. Meh.

el3mel

That game is Depay in a nutshell. He's a flattrack bully, and a glorious one at that. Capable of absolutely dazzling performances against minnows. He scored a hattrick against a tiny club last week again(I forget the name, I assume it's a brand of mineral water). But he cant seem to find consistency against good opposition.

On his rapping, while still rubbish, I think he's improving. I wish guys more players did this kind of stuff. Imagine Jamie Vardy releasing a pop album or Zlatan singing opera. Meh.
That was my opinion on him while being at United. He only played well here against trash European sides but struggled against almost every PL full back.

Though he seems to have rediscovered his form elsewhere and is improving so definitely good for him. I would like him as a backup here even though I'm sure he won't want to sit on the bench again.

NotQuiteManc

His best (better) games for United were when he was deployed as CF/SS with Martial, and he shown his best form in that similar position as well at Lyon. He is not the traditional winger and he works best at LW anyway if he is to be played as a winger.

He'sRaldo

Well even when Jamie Vardy is the top scorer in the premier league, I still wouldn’t have him. Premier league is better than Ligue 1.
You wouldn't have Vardy as backup? That's pretty bold.

But in any case it was a bit of a joke post, Ligue 1 is just 2 games in :)

youmeletsfly

People are angry someone wrote a song for him, autotuned his voice and uploaded it to youtube, my god 2020 is awkward.

Chief123

You wouldn't have Vardy as backup? That's pretty bold.

But in any case it was a bit of a joke post, Ligue 1 is just 2 games in :)
Of course I’d have vardy as a backup if he’s cheap.

Id also have Memphis as a backup without a doubt. But I highly doubt he would come knowing he’ll be a backup.

SATA

Being the transfer muppet in me, I thought there’s a tweet that Dortmund had identified him as Jadon’s replacement when this thread popped up on the main page. Ended up seeing some silly music video

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I'm so glad we got rid. His mentality is totally off and IQ isn't exactly through the roof.
Because he makes rap videos? He admitted himself his mentality was off at United (implying that it isn't now), and his footballing IQ seems to be pretty OK.

Not that I think he's the second coming or should move up from Lyon, but these mentality comments keep throwing me off. It does feel like it's because of his online presence, which has nothing to do with his approach to football.

James Peril

My concern about him stems from the fact that he has a giant lion tattooed on his back. Nothing wrong with that (yes it is), although I generalize that people with lions tattooed on their body won’t work as hard as others to fit into a team. Except if you’re Zlatan of course... but Zlatan can do what he wants, and Depay isn’t a quarter of a Zlatan.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Dutch newspaper (AD) reporting that both Depay and Wijnaldum are Barcelona bound.

Wijnaldum I would understand, but Depay? Naah. Also, cant imagine a new trainer bringing in loads of his countrymen is good for the dynamic in a group.

On a positive note, great chance for Memphis to break through as a rapper in Spain.

Andy_Cole

Because he makes rap videos? He admitted himself his mentality was off at United (implying that it isn't now), and his footballing IQ seems to be pretty OK.

Not that I think he's the second coming or should move up from Lyon, but these mentality comments keep throwing me off. It does feel like it's because of his online presence, which has nothing to do with his approach to football.
It’s because he’s black. A classic backhanded racial stereotype to a black footballer. See the Smalling thread for another example of this.

flappyjay

Dutch newspaper (AD) reporting that both Depay and Wijnaldum are Barcelona bound.

Wijnaldum I would understand, but Depay? Naah. Also, cant imagine a new trainer bringing in loads of his countrymen is good for the dynamic in a group.

On a positive note, great chance for Memphis to break through as a rapper in Spain.
It doesn't make sense as he thrives where Griezmann also plays best. As a CF or SS.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
It doesn't make sense as he thrives where Griezmann also plays best. As a CF or SS.
Guess he would be used as a back-up striker. Who else would Barcelona have in the squad to replace Griezmann whe necessary?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
It’s because he’s black. A classic backhanded racial stereotype to a black footballer. See the Smalling thread for another example of this.
Yeah - along with the comment on IQ.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Not wading into the stereotyping debate, but Memphis has done quite a few very questionable things that justify questioning his personality. He's had a terrible childhood though, so no wonder he isnt good with authority.

I'm not talking about his rap videos, mind.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Memphis isn't an upgrade on Suarez but he should still do fine at Barca while having fresher legs and being able to play at high intensity for longer throughout a whole season

He's not a winger, Koeman knows it and Memphis was perhaps the best player of his Dutch NT so he definitely knows how to make the best out of him

For the 20 to 30m fee reported this is a fine business, I don't think Barca fans are expecting a treble next season anyway given how last season went and the state of their finances.

peridigm

Messi must be buzzing at the prospect of playing with Memphis. Then again, he would have sanctioned this if rumors are to be believed.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Memphis isn't an upgrade on Suarez but he should still do fine at Barca while having fresher legs and being able to play at high intensity for longer throughout a whole season

He's not a winger, Koeman knows it and Memphis was perhaps the best player of his Dutch NT so he definitely knows how to make the best out of him

For the 20 to 30m fee reported this is a fine business, I don't think Barca fans are expecting a treble next season anyway given how last season went and the state of their finances.
I think the key at our NT is that Koeman made him the star. The attack is set up around him and he can do as he pleases. He thrives in such a role, but at Barcelona there are other, better players who play a more pivotal role than him. I'm not convinced he can adapt his game to play a more disciplined game inservice to others.

Still fun to see him try though. And I guess 30 million is pocket change for them anyway.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Not wading into the stereotyping debate, but Memphis has done quite a few very questionable things that justify questioning his personality. He's had a terrible childhood though, so no wonder he isnt good with authority.

I'm not talking about his rap videos, mind.
I don't know about personality as a whole, but any example of why his mentality would be lacking? He's always seemed strong to me in that sense (certainly in his Lyon years).

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
>
I don't know about personality as a whole, but any example of why his mentality would be lacking? He's always seemed strong to me in that sense (certainly in his Lyon years).
Not his mentality on the pitch. I think he's fine there. It's more the posing with exotic animals and yelling at traffic cops that they're just jealous of his Bentley. That, and the endless moaning about "haters". But that a generational gap I think.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Not his mentality on the pitch. I think he's fine there. It's more the posing with exotic animals and yelling at traffic cops that they're just jealous of his Bentley. That, and the endless moaning about "haters". But that a generational gap I think.
Yeah, that doesn't do anything for me; if there's anything that makes me feel old... (Even if I'm not always actually older than the people involved. :D ) I just can't care about all that, and I don't understand why it keeps coming up in discussions about him as a footballer. (Not by you, I know.)

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He’s top class. Will join a big club for shit-load of money fairly soon. Hopefully we stuck some sort of sell-on clause in his contract when he left. So we at least make a few quid from letting such a talent slip through our fingers.

EDIT: Just seen the Barca link. Makes sense. He’s way more talented than Wijnaldum.

Monkers

He’s top class. Will join a big club for shit-load of money fairly soon. Hopefully we stuck some sort of sell-on clause in his contract when he left. So we at least make a few quid from letting such a talent slip through our fingers.
Rumors are that he's joining barca for 25 million euro's.. which is nothing for someone like Depay.
But I guess the acl injury + 1 year contract does that.

James Peril

Ah, the good ol’ statement when you’re out of proper arguments. Such an unintelligent post, find it even more disgraceful in 2020 when other important things have gone down. Does anyone give a shit about this anymore? You have found something.... where there was absolutely nothing.

Godfather

EDIT: Just seen the Barca link. Makes sense. He’s way more talented than Wijnaldum.
Top class is a bit of a stretch Pogue. Good player though with a bit of a strange attitude.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Yeah, that doesn't do anything for me; if there's anything that makes me feel old... (Even if I'm not always actually older than the people involved. :D ) I just can't care about all that, and I don't understand why it keeps coming up in discussions about him as a footballer. (Not by you, I know.)
Yeah, I agree, who cares if he wants to make rap songs. He can do whatever he feels like off the pitch.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Top class is a bit of a stretch Pogue. Good player though with a bit of a strange attitude.
I think he’s top class. He looks a class above everyone around him whenever I see him play. It’s actually even more impressive when you think how good he’s looking after being out for so long with such a serious injury. So he’s obviously disciplined when he needs to be. He’ll go on to be a big star. In my opinion.

432JuanMata

I think he’s top class. He looks a class above everyone around him whenever I see him play. It’s actually even more impressive when you think how good he’s looking after being out for so long with such a serious injury. So he’s obviously disciplined when he needs to be. He’ll go on to be a big star. In my opinion.
I also think top class is a bit of a stretch though he is better than a lot on the caf give him credit for. Yes he wasn’t the best when here but he was young and we were very rigid under LVG. I would take him for squad depth but I don’t think he would improve our first 11